MS-01 has the Touch! What a nice figure. I'm enjoying the articulation this thing brings to the table; I was posing it along with my MP-10, and with just subtle use of the various joints along with very mild rotation and tilt of the upper torso on that ab joint, it can achieve a level of expression that's beyond MP-10.  I still wish they'd painted those leg vents silver instead of the slightly off-hue blue, but the paint apps on mine look clean and well applied. If anything, I'd say the orangish-yellow used for his upper cab lights and the arrow patterns on his forearms could have used a second coat, or perhaps a slightly yellower paint to make them contrast a bit more against all that red. The yellow color on my Hasbro MP-10 is about perfect. The only real negative I have with it thus far (I've transformed it once to truck and back to bot, b/c let's face it, bot mode is where this thing shines) is with the side mirrors, which are held on with the merest hint of friction and a whole lot of prayers by a single small peg, the hole for which is quite shallow and perhaps just a little too big, as the mirrors move with the slightest provocation on mine. There's enough room on the truck door panel to have allowed a second peg from the top of the mirror, which would have helped keep it on, but for some reason Magic Square didn't go that route. They do help the look of the truck, so I may end up gluing them into place. Looking at MS-01 next to MP-10, I find myself wishing they'd painted the front window frames silver like MP-10's. It's a subjective thing, much like the too-minimal blue area on his groin, which is more prominent and looks better in the art that accompanies the toy. The visible Matrix being a niggle, I tried to rotate the bumper around, much like MP-10, but I couldn't get the windows to close, so unfortunately, it's not a viable option. My first transformation was mostly smooth (I had some difficulty on one side getting all the arm stuff to peg in completely), but the process itself is very similar to MP-10 in the torso, and the legs went pretty well. The tabs can be a bit sticky, but overall, it's a practical transformation that takes a cue from the Combiner Wars leg trapeze system, which I find preferable to sliders. I like how compact and integrated the various parts of the feet become in truck mode, and they feature painted brake and signal lights- they look much better than MP-10's clodhoppers dangling in the breeze. There's a lot to love, and the pluses far outweigh the negatives for my tastes and needs. If MP-10 is nigh perfect to you and you're looking for a nice upgrade to that mold, then this is probably the figure for you. Recommended.

7 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I had some difficulty on one side getting all the arm stuff to peg in completely

I found MS-01's transformation goes a little smoother if you don't follow the steps in the order of the instructions. Instead start with his arms and go all the way to the point where you rock the side panel back and tab it into his forearm and bicep before you start on his torso.

Thanks for the advice. I only had the issue on his left side; the right tabbed right in. I was more concerned with making sure the forearm tabs  that slot into the indents were lining up before tabbing the bicep, but on that side I may have to try bicep first. I was able to finally get it, but not without a struggle, so I'll try your approach next time.

Instructions-pffft- like the vast majority of my TF collection, I never even opened them. ;) Mechanically, it's a fairly easy transformation, and I've watched numerous vids of it to pretty much have it down even before he arrived. It's usually things like really stiff joints, issues where a tab doesn't seem to reach a détente (usually on one side but not the other) on a panel or other moving surface, or a tab is too thick to go into its détente without excessive force, etc. And sometimes the design is so smooth that it's difficult to ascertain where a moving part hinges and in what direction it's intended to move, which is certainly not a flaw, but it does complicate transformation, esp on the first try.  I've encountered these obstacles and more on both official and unofficial TFs over the years and just accept that it's part of the experience with transforming toys.  Even with all my experience with hundreds, if not thousands, of transforming toys, going all the way back to the '80s, I still struggle with it sometimes, and it can be personally frustrating to watch some of these video reviewers smoothly, calmly, and flawlessly or nearly flawlessly, transform some of these figures when I seldom enjoy the same experience with this figure or that. Eligos comes to mind- I never have an easy time with it- all that stuff in the legs, the close tolerances, the really tight tabs in the shell parts that close around the head, etc- always an excruciating process to transform him, even if it's straightforward in my head, the physical reality is always contrary, and I envy those folks to whom it comes easy.  Fortunately, because I am drawn inherently and unceasingly to transforming toys, my general experience is positive for the majority.  Alas, as is my wont, I've digressed a bit and I beg pardon. On topic, I'll likely try my hand at transforming MS-01 again today with, hopefully, a more agreeable result. Again, thanks for the advice, Mike.

The full breakdown article and gallery for MakeToys' MTCD-05SP Buster Stealthwing is up: http://kumastyledesigns.com/maketoys-buster-stealthwing-review/

title-facebook-buster-sw.png

Overall, it's a solid figure and I think it really meets the standards set by MakeToys for this line in terms of build and articulation. Admittedly, after some play time the armored mode really has become the most appealing to me in terms of display and I think it visually fits both Manus and Noir very well. The article has the full breakdown and gallery but here are a few pics from it:

16-127.png

19-86.png

9-209.png

18-100.png

1 hour ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Brand and size (seems legends sized right?) of this Megatron?

I like it and want to add it to my collection.

48362787_810324899317939_688188420928831488_o.jpg

Brand is New Age, and yes, it's Legends.

It does look really good, but scale doesn't seem as unified among 3P Legends as it is with 3P MP. Since I'm going in on Magic Square's stuff I need to see how this Megatron scales with their Optimus... once they're both actually released.

9 hours ago, Negotiator said:

My te01 is on the way.  Just watched a vid where there are ratchets for the legs when you move them outwards.  Can you confirm this?

There are ratchets in the shoulders/hips for forward/backward motion, but they're crap because the gap between each set-point is ridiculously large. The movement is tight and solid, but doesn't allow for precise posing. I'll be fixing that in due course.

*EDIT*

Hip ratchets have been modified; now I can get a more heroic-looking standing pose. I've also added reflective window film to the inside of his winshield to brighten up hi s chest. I may tackle the shoulder joints before the weekend is out, and see if I can at least repaint the light gray on the face to something a tad darker.IMG_1163.thumb.jpg.1ba91ea9a01ba53c9fa0346308250174.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

Edited by captain america

2 hours ago, captain america said:

There are ratchets in the shoulders/hips for forward/backward motion, but they're crap because the gap between each set-point is ridiculously large. The movement is tight and solid, but doesn't allow for precise posing. I'll be fixing that in due course.

*EDIT*

Hip ratchets have been modified; now I can get a more heroic-looking standing pose. I've also added reflective window film to the inside of his winshield to brighten up hi s chest. I may tackle the shoulder joints before the weekend is out, and see if I can at least repaint the light gray on the face to something a tad darker.IMG_1163.thumb.jpg.1ba91ea9a01ba53c9fa0346308250174.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

Wait How did you do the hip ratchets?  You had a gear system with more teeth on hand?  BTW, how long did it take to get once they shipped from TFD?   Reflective window film is a great idea ,aesthetically the darkness of the chest windows bugged me too.

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Brand is New Age, and yes, it's Legends.

It does look really good, but scale doesn't seem as unified among 3P Legends as it is with 3P MP. Since I'm going in on Magic Square's stuff I need to see how this Megatron scales with their Optimus... once they're both actually released.

Thank you!!!! Will definitely check this Megatron, looks good and decent sized for my desk at the office.

3 hours ago, captain america said:

*EDIT*

Hip ratchets have been modified; now I can get a more heroic-looking standing pose. I've also added reflective window film to the inside of his winshield to brighten up hi s chest. I may tackle the shoulder joints before the weekend is out, and see if I can at least repaint the light gray on the face to something a tad darker.

Chest windows look great now.

Have you machined new gears for the hip ratchets?

9 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Thank you!!!! Will definitely check this Megatron, looks good and decent sized for my desk at the office.

Chest windows look great now.

Have you machined new gears for the hip ratchets?

I partially sanded the teeth on one side of the ratchet joint and inserted a washer which I machined. I can provide a step-by-step, but there are trade-offs with this mod: because the joints are now friction types, they aren't as stiff as the stock ratchets. Combine this with the rather hefty (metal) lower legs, and it will pretty much make jumping or flying poses impossible to hold, although uber-dynamic poses on his feet are still OK. Also, it's a one-way mod, so you can't really undo it.

The only other solution would be to redesign the truck's front wheel wells (cameltoe) and the corresponding gray hip parts with smaller interlocking teeth.

The Full breakdown and gallery article for Iron Factory IF EX-31 Dubhe is up on KumaStyle.com! See sig for direct link.

Title-Facebook-Dubhe.png 

The article as stated breaks it down but overall this is one of Iron Factory's best and I really can't wait to have the whole team on top of checking out the combining gimmick! Here are some pics from the gallery portion:

5-240.png 

11-187.png 

14-158.png

With all the new Masterpiece Primes coming out, this recent IDW-style re-release isn't getting the attention it deserves:

idw-optimus-jpg.28189662

'Cause it's glorious.

ideal-cab-jpg.28189882

Most third-party IDW figures are to scale, including MMC and Generation Toy releases:

idw-specific-jpg.28189664

973473589_cabweaponstorage.thumb.jpg.0470f19825ba552174a8d2f4057d3fd7.jpg

With tinted windows, painted roof lights, tail lights, and windshield wipers, articulated sideview mirrors and airfoil, integrated weapon storage, and perfect compatibility with MP-10's trailer, the retail price (as low as $85) is a real bargain!

idw-cab-trailer-jpg.28189881

Third-parties are gonna run TakaraTomy out of business one of these days!  :o

Edited by tekering

I have the original release and it's one of my three favorite Primes (along with MS-01 and TFC's Stoomander). When I reviewed it I recommended it, and I still do.

Curious, though, how are the joints on this repaint? My only complaint about the original was that some of the joints, especially the hips, could have been a little tighter.

6 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Ugh, that kind of makes me want to pick up the repaint, but I've got nearly $1000 in preorders between now and the end of March already.

I feel your pain man, for some reason Q1 and Q2 2019 seem to be preorder and release heavy this year more then others.

9 hours ago, tekering said:

With all the new Masterpiece Primes coming out, this recent IDW-style re-release isn't getting the attention it deserves:

idw-optimus-jpg.28189662

'Cause it's glorious.

Most third-party IDW figures are to scale, including MMC and Generation Toy releases:

idw-specific-jpg.28189664

With tinted windows, painted roof lights, tail lights, and windshield wipers, articulated sideview mirrors and airfoil, integrated weapon storage, and perfect compatibility with MP-10's trailer, the retail price (as low as $85) is a real bargain!

Third-parties are gonna run TakaraTomy out of business one of these days!  :o

i've got the original release and i really like it but the joints on the hips could be tighter (not bad at all but makes me not want to fiddle as much with it for fear it will get looser).  this deco....i like teh silver on top of the windows/chest but not the yellow (maybe i should take a silver paint pent to those flaps?).  still looks really good.  windows seem more blue than before too (unsure if i like that).  anyway, you are right...its a steal and not getting a lot of attention....and i consider it an "updated or IDW" masterpiece class figure.  i don't want to go down the IDW rabbit hole though as i don't like the alt modes that much.  the prowl bot mode looks awesome though...almost picked that up a few times but ultimately didn't cave.  if Gcreations ever finishes their more earth mode like drift....i might have to get that though.

Lots of new Transformers this week!  :D

mp-azalea-jpg.28190949

mp-azalea-tail-lights-jpg.28190964

Azalea is really compact in vehicle mode -- typical HasTak deluxe, basically.

deluxe-rc-jpg.28190944

She turns into a surprisingly tall robot, though...

mp-azalea-with-the-little-guys-jpg.28190

Skinny, but graceful.

mp-azalea-with-rodimus-prime-jpg.2819098

And she passes my biggest criteria for any Arcee figure:

mp-azalea-legs-jpg.28190989

She can cross her legs.  :good:

So yesterday I tackled the question of "which Hot Rod is the best for CHUG?".  And while I did answer it, I also put forth another question: what do you do if you want Rodimus Prime, not Hot Rod.  And it turns out your options are a bit more limited.  Really, to have options, plural, we're going to have to bring in a third party...

IMG_20190128_214721.jpg.c6b8d0fc56b6813c607f9f60ed529373.jpg

So these are really your two candidates.  On the left we have have good old Classics Rodimus from 2006, and on the right we have 2017's Power of the Primes Leader-class Rodimus Prime.  What's interesting here is that both toys are taking the same approach- start with Hot Rod, add a trailer.  The difference is that PotP Rodimus was designed from the start for this and comes with his trailer, but the trailer we're going to use with Classics Rodimus is Fansproject's Protector, a piece from the nascent days of the third party scene.  Both trailers work in a similar fashion.  You open the sides up, tuck the car in, and close the sides back up with the cars' spoilers peaking out.

What I find truly amazing here is how a nine year old third party upgrade attached to a thirteen year old toy pulls it off Rodimus so much better than a two that's not even two.  PotP has a weirdly elongated cab section, big gaps where the spoiler pokes through the trailer, wheels so cheap they'd look bad on a Legends-class toy, super obvious robot feet hanging off the back, and the flames on the sides are undersized stickers of dubious quality.  Classics + Protector's cab is also pretty long, but it's partly helped by the new spoiler on the trailer that sits over the car's roof.  It's also easier to forgive, since we're technically talking about a car that was never meant to be a trailer cab.  The fit of the trailer is actually pretty snug, and the color of Fansproject's plastic is a pretty good match, if a bit less glossy, than Classics Rodimus'.  I especially dig how the flames on the trailer are actually molded into the trailer, and molded to look like they're coming out of the exhaust pipes on the side.

IMG_20190128_215106.jpg.b53c73e4ef3f91a500424b96d873e8b5.jpg

PotP Rodimus also has super visible robot hands on the front of the trailer.  At least the space Winnebago mode has peg holes on top for the guns, since the car alone couldn't accommodate them.  Protector, meanwhile, managed to integrate Classics Rodimus' gun the same way the car did, as a Batmobile exhaust.  You can even still use the flame accessory.

IMG_20190128_215559.jpg.b7e88cd2ada553b0678ee57bb3ca474d.jpg

Moving out of vehicle mode, Rodimus Prime's arms come off the top of the trailer, Hot Rod transforms into Rodimus' shoulders, head, and the front of his torso, while the entire rest of the trailer transforms into the back of the torso, pelvis, and legs.  Since he came as part of the PotP line, he does have a little Matrix.  The center of the Matrix is a solid piece, but molded like the Enigmas that came with the Combiner torsos in this line.  You can pop the center of the Matrix out and plug in a Prime Master or a Titan Master.  I personally enjoy putting Titans Returns Hot Rod's head in there, for a little Rodception.

IMG_20190128_220726.jpg.77294400817e86becb51ad65486c076e.jpg

Protector does things a little differently.  There's not really a lot of transformation going on with Classics Hot Rod, for starters.  You just fold his feet and hands in, then bend his elbow as much as it goes and rotate his shoulders 90 degrees.  It's not strictly necessary, but I think it helps if you widen his hips, like you're starting to go back to car mode but stop after only a third of the way.  Then you take the upgrade parts off of the trailer, but unlike PotP Rodimus we don't use the whole trailer for this.

IMG_20190128_222516.jpg.763937feaaa6a7a1ac21afb85e237675.jpg

The robot results are a bit of a mixed bag.  PotP Rodimus looks the part, at a glance.  But then you look a little closer, and you'll see large chunks of kibble on the backs of his forearms, a large section of the trailer just dangling off of his back, a big gap between the red and the orange in his neck, and Hot Rod's robot arms visible just behind Rodimus' chest from any angle except dead on.  But worst of all, you'll see Hot Rod's thighs sticking out from behind Rodimus' head and acting as his shoulders.

Classics Rodimus + Proctor has his own issues, though, and they're largely due to being parts added to another figure.  His hands and forearms are a bit big for his arms, especially his skinny biceps.  His waist is too narrow.  His thighs look super thin and short, while his lower legs are too long.  Like PotP Rodimus, Hot Rod's forearms are still visible as kibble on the backs of Protector's arms (though at least the hands are folded away).  And if I'm being honest I'm not a fan of the face sculpt.  I do like the spoiler, though, and the 3D flames on Protector's chest.

As I mentioned before, with Siege seemingly taking a more serious approach to scale, it makes sense to consider the size of these guys.  Classics Rodimus is maybe half a head shorter than Siege Optimus when he's wearing his Protector gear, which is a good size for Rodimus Prime.  PotP Rodimus is too huge, though.

IMG_20190128_224226.jpg.bc03e0e615547cbe287efa1ff5206ba3.jpg

We can also consider articulation.  Classics Rodimus is largely limited by his original joints.  Even with the Protector armor on he's still using the original neck swivel, shoulders, waist (or lack thereof), hips, thigh swivels, and knees, which are now weirdly high on his legs.  The new arms do add bicep and wrist swivels, and the elbows can bend 90 degrees.  The new feet have ankle pivots as well.

In some ways, PotP Rodimus has better articulation, but it's awkward and compromised by loose knees and ankles and the fact that his shoulders are thighs.  Basically, his head can swivel, his shoulder can rotate, but what lateral motion you get on the shoulder comes from Hot Rod's hips, behind Rodimus' head, moving the entire thigh.  His biceps swivel, and his elbows bend just over 90 degrees, and his wrists can swivel, although his waist still can't.  His hip skirt, which is one solid piece, does hinge up to allow his hips to move forward 90 degrees and backward just two clicks on a weak ratchet.  The skirts on the sides do not move, limiting his hips to about 60 degrees of lateral movement.  His thighs swivel, and his knees bend 90 degrees... backwards or forwards.  His feet have some up/down tilt, and can pivot about 45 degrees.

Both of PotP's black guns combine to form a more traditional Rodimus Prime rifle.  Meanwhile...

IMG_20190128_225357.jpg.4edc631c8f0d4c28688cc9cf4efe21cd.jpg

...Protector comes with a few options.  For one, inside the remaining trailer is a rifle part.  It can be held alone, but it's designed to fit into the barrel of Classics' Rodimus' gun.  Protector also comes with Sidearm, a little homage to Firebolt.  Meanwhile, the trailer itself can transform into a double-barreled tank-like vehicle, complete with a little seat for Sidearm.

IMG_20190128_230130.jpg.48ea234207a4bc20cc329028b7311d55.jpg

Or, the tank-like vehicle can open up into a weapon platform similar to the G1 Rodimus Prime trailer.  There's even fold-out handles that Protector-wearing Rodimus can grab onto.  Even better, transforming the trailer like this releases a small Roller-style drone car.

IMG_20190128_230346.jpg.56a1bb98590d292d7cec6523bb3ddebe.jpg

The drone has a rotating piece on top with a 5mm peg hole on one side and a 4mm peg hole on the other, allowing it to tote a variety of weapons that Rodimus may not be using while he's manning the big guns.  And the best part is that it has a hole on the rear that works with Rodimus' flame accessory.

It's also worth noting that Protector comes with alternate gold chrome spoilers in case you're using it with a Henkei Hot Rodimus, and a special piece that fits over both Protector's fist and Classics Optimus' fist so that it looks like they're shaking hands.

Gun to my head, Classics Rodimus with Protector beats PotP Rodimus Prime.  The Protector set is really well-made and comes with a lot of options to increase your play value.  However, while they've come down a lot you can still expect a Protector set to run you $60-$80 on the second hand market, plus you'd need to track down a Classics or Henkei Rodimus to put it on (you can use other repaints of the Classics mold, like the "Challenge at Cybertron" or the "Battle in Space" version, but Protector is color matched best with the original Classics or Henkei version).

PotP Rodimus is definitely a cheaper option.  I'm seeing him in stock at Amazon, BBTS, or TFSource for around $50-$55, and I happened to find him in the clearance at Target for under $30.  I think if you're going to go that route, though, you might be better off using him G1-style.  That is, use the smaller robot as your Rodimus Prime, and use the trailer as something you attach just for alt mode.

Waiting for something better is always an option, too.  However, while I could see Hot Rod turning up in Siege sooner rather than later who knows when we'll see another space Winnebago.

2 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

One of the earliest "4P" parts, was a replacement face for Protector.  I highly recommend it.  

Dr Wu, right?  I did a quick search and it seems stock of it has long since dried up.

I dunno.  Now that I did my write up, I'm thinking I might sell Protector with Classics Hot Rod.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

I'm thinking I might sell Protector with Classics Hot Rod.

I've already ditched mine.  Having learned about the optional Rodimus face on FansToys' "Hoodlum," he will now represent my CHUG Rodimus Prime.

b40261eb37-jpg.28033686

Well, if anybody does want Hot Rod and Protector, lemme know.  I'm thinking (in addition to all the other stuff I'm supposed to buy in the next six weeks) that I kind of want to buy the Takara Legends version of Titan Fortress Maximus.  I'd be happy to cut a good deal with a MW'er, since you'd be saving me the hassle of ebay/TFW's BST.