It's like I always say.

Fans can do great things. Even better than the companies themselves (the amount of fan-films prove it).

Besides the 'garage companies", such like Perfect Effect, FansProject, Igear, among others...

I don't think it's as much as "several thousand". I would say one thousand for Hercules is about right, or if anything, the maximum. This would also compare to average Yamato valkyrie runs these days. Again, this is just my guess, though.

I remember it being said that a typical Yamato Valk run is around 5 thousand units first issue, with reissues being closer to 1~2 thousand. I figured the bigger third parties like TFC would be doing similar or somewhat smaller runs.

:edit:

after doing a bit more fact checking I can think of two instances where exact numbers have been given for the size of third party production runs. One was the Shadow Scythe repaint/retool of the protector armor from fans project which was considered a limited item and had a run of 600 pieces. The other Case was the MMC Knight Morpher Commander who's first production run was 2,000 pieces.

(skip to about 10:45).

Edited by anime52k8

I remember it being said that a typical Yamato Valk run is around 5 thousand units first issue, with reissues being closer to 1~2 thousand.

I have doubts it is that high. Those numbers seem right in terms of the older releases like the 1/48s or whatever, but the VF-19s and the VF-17s... I can't believe they would make so many. Yeah, maybe I'm wrong, though!

after doing a bit more fact checking I can think of two instances where exact numbers have been given for the size of third party production runs. One was the Shadow Scythe repaint/retool of the protector armor from fans project which was considered a limited item and had a run of 600 pieces. The other Case was the MMC Knight Morpher Commander who's first production run was 2,000 pieces.

Thanks for the info and the video. It's funny, but I can imagine many of these 3rd Party stuff having higher production runs than Bandai Valks, for example. After all, there are a lot more Transformer fans around the world than Macross fans, so there is most likely much higher demand.

I remember it being said that a typical Yamato Valk run is around 5 thousand units first issue, with reissues being closer to 1~2

(skip to about 10:45).

Thanks for finding that! I always imagined the these unlicensed TF's had production runs of around 1,000 ~ 2,000 pieces, which is comparable to the average Yamato VF today. So it looks like these TF's have similar production runs to Yamato VF's, have less overhead expenses to deal with, are slightly less complex than Yamato VF's, but are just as expensive as a Yamato VF. That tells me that these guys are very shred businessmen and have priced their products so that they bring back a very very generous net profit. But as Renato said, at least they're using part of this money into making more, and better, toys for their fans.

A P-38 in scale with MP-10 would be the size of an infant mosquito.

Really? Hegemon aka non-megatron is actually smaller than MP10 if you look at comparison pics and the p38 gunmode isn't that small.

http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&album=16994&pic=transformers-g1-megatron-toyworld-hegemon+%2811%29.jpg&dispsize=600&start=0&sl=transformers-hegemon-preorder-and-shipping-information

Seems that Prime Airachnid is even worse in-hand than the early pics lead us to believe:

http://www.seibertro...l-review/24994/ (the opening cockpit gimmick not only leads to a giant hood/backpack as we already knew, it also means there's no actual head, merely a sculpted face on the bottom of the pilot's seat)

But for those who want a cool black/purple vehicle-based Decepticon female, Perfect Effect revealed the robot mode of their Not-Arcee remold recolor via the comic included with the first release:

http://img801.images.../7072/scang.jpg

I saw a vehicon once, passed on it, waiting for the jet version. (and passed on Knockout twice----Knockout's paint scheme is just WRONG---that's very different from being simplified for cost reasons like usual---they simply applied a lot of paint of the wrong colors in the wrong places).

Seems that Prime Airachnid is even worse in-hand than the early pics lead us to believe:

http://www.seibertro...l-review/24994/ (the opening cockpit gimmick not only leads to a giant hood/backpack as we already knew, it also means there's no actual head, merely a sculpted face on the bottom of the pilot's seat)

Glad you posted that. I was anticipating Airachnid. That review spared me buyer's remorse.

I'm reading/posting to both this thread and the "3rd party vs Hasbro" thread at TFW right now. Interesting to see the contrast in what's brought up/rationaled etc.

What I find really amusing about reading 3rd party threads on principally transformers boards is seeing just how cheap transformers fans are. If they honestly consider third party TF stuff "outrageously" expensive, I'd love to see their reaction to what we spend on VF's. :D

What I find really amusing about reading 3rd party threads on principally transformers boards is seeing just how cheap transformers fans are. If they honestly consider third party TF stuff "outrageously" expensive, I'd love to see their reaction to what we spend on VF's. :D

I know! I've noticed that, too.

They have no idea at the lengths we go thru to get our toys either... I mean getting online to buy valks these days is almost like a lottery system. they just have to go the local walmart.

Well, to be fair, from what I hear there was a big fiasco surrounding the First Edition Prime toys, and apparently distribution really sucks, plus there's also the magic word, "scalpers"...

Well, to be fair, from what I hear there was a big fiasco surrounding the First Edition Prime toys, and apparently distribution really sucks, plus there's also the magic word, "scalpers"...

That whole First Edition Prime toy bit was one big bunglebleep... especially here in the states I think.

New pics of Fansproject Assaulter and Warbot Steel Core

assaulter-poster-03.png

Thats the worst art I've seen from FP, they usually have top notch illos.

Yeah... even though this is a Macross board, not all of us buy Macross toys. I think third-party TF stuff is too much to pay for toys; I think Valks are too much to pay for toys. Domestically-released Transformers are ok, but when you start to go too high, I'd rather spend the money on some new electronics.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they're trying to get away from doing overt transformers homages and instead working towards more original designs that tie in to their own fiction. The way I see it they're trying to legitimize themselves as a company and show that they're more than just guys who make not-transformers. They've shown that they're highly competent on the engineering and production side of things, now they're working to show that they've got the same level of creative ability. I hope it does well and they continue to do more original stuff rather than just not-transformers. It would be really cool to see a company that started out as an evil, IP infringing, hobby cheapening unlicensed third party manufacturer become a legitimate maker of high end toys with licensing deal and successful IP's of their own.

Indeed. And if they get big enough their production cost could drop & the savings could past to the customers. Being able to bypass child-toy safety laws that plague Hasbro transformers, they could continue marketing as adult collectibles and thus could truly be a powerful entity for collectors. Giving fans what they really want: High level engineered tranforming toys not plagued by lame gimmicks or retarded paint applications.