I think the "it looks too much like Gundam" is the fandom equivalent of "get off my lawn"... TF collectors approaching middle age, set in their ways, getting grouchy whenever something isn't the same as it was 30 years ago.

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I think the "it looks too much like Gundam" is the fandom equivalent of "get off my lawn"... TF collectors approaching middle age, set in their ways, getting grouchy whenever something isn't the same as it was 30 years ago.

That seems to be the case. Even though I "get" it, it's fairly annoying. I also feel like these rants come out more so if the item is high-end/priced. Oh well. 

4 hours ago, Kuma Style said:

Even though I "get" it, it's fairly annoying.

Indeed. Even if one doesn't like it(which I don't), it seems like a cop-out argument, a way to dismiss it without having to make a real critique.

Since I opened that can of worms, it is probably only fair that I share my take.

Mostly, I think that it is kind of a panel-y mess, especially the backpack. It is a very "CG anime mech" look, and it is also a look I don't care for.  (Though it is less of a mess than the Bayformers!) I prefer simpler designs with less-convoluted geometry.

I also don't care for the proportions. I feel like the torso goes on past "beefy super-robot" and into the Tetsujin-28 or Getter-1 "iron potato" build. In all fairness, this does seem to be faithful to the original design rather than Flame Toys' interpretation, but given how many other parts veer away from that original design, why NOT make him a bit sleeker?

5 hours ago, JB0 said:

Indeed. Even if one doesn't like it(which I don't), it seems like a cop-out argument, a way to dismiss it without having to make a real critique.

This nails it and it's even more so why it comes off like weird ego flexing over items that have priced someone out. Stuff like "Hip thrusting" (heroic posing) being a complaint like that's how you have to pose something is such a non point that it's hard to draw any other conclusion.

Personally I do love the design and these in general because they do for more towards my aesthetic and build/quality tastes as a SuperRobot collector while remaining true to form in terms of comic likeness. 

In terms of Star Saber being more akin to Tetsujin it's hard for me to see where you're coming from as he has that "perfect V" torso silhouette and the panels are also fairly minimal. I totally get the large backpack thing but it's his wings and likely removable (pic c/o TFW2005;)

24-Furai-Model-Star-Saber.jpg

@Scyla already beautifully covered where the design cues come from so when someone screams Gundam I don't know if they're just unaware of Star Saber's IDW design in general or...? 

Overall they aren't for everyone in terms of design and especially price but they're remarkable products regardless. 

At the end of the day, I've no attachment to Star Saber, I personally am only interested in collecting transforming toys, and Flame Toys are too expensive (in a "I don't want to spend that much on a toy" way, not implying that they are or aren't worth it). So of course I'm not going to buy this Star Saber.

Aside from not being the target audience I have no issues with it. Like I said, it's actually less stylized that Milne's original design

6 hours ago, Kuma Style said:

In terms of Star Saber being more akin to Tetsujin it's hard for me to see where you're coming from

He looked chubbier in the other photos. I retract the complaint.

He's still much busier than I prefer. 

2 hours ago, Kuma Style said:

NP at all, JB. I was honestly just confused and appreciate you clarifying.

Still cleaning and got taken back to and embarrassed by just how much I loved the Battle Tankers.

20181118_183431-e1542588572409.jpg

You got nothing to be embarrassed for. MT got really obsessed with those and ended making a sweet deluxe sized version of Nova Prime which I still dig.

BBTS already charged me with the DX9 K2 AncestRod. Just need to wait for Kazuya figure before I let it ship.

For now, I saw this via Youtube. Not sure if this has been already posted. And I have to say it looks nice. Too bad it needs some 'lubricant'. ;) 

Edited by no3Ljm

Its funny how people say about others that say I dont think it looks right or it looks dumb or it looks like another thing all off sudden get rallied into a corner as haters. Haters hating on the haters. I dont give a rats ass if you think I should or should not like or think.

I dont like it. Period. I dont like it because it looks too much like a gundam. I have toys that I have purchased as expensive as 1500 dollars. Its not jealously. It just looks dumb D. U. M. B.

Also, Its a site where people voice their likes and dislikes. Not a NPC bubble. If me not liking sets you off as RANTING. Then here is your nappy and go cry in a corner

1 minute ago, Numbninja said:

what is psx?

It's a lazy acronym, that's what it is.  The internet is infested with 'em.

<_<

Oh, you meant "What does PSX stand for?"

Planet Steel Express, an online retailer based in Singapore.

28 minutes ago, Scyla said:

In related news my Kuro Kara Kuri Tarn shipped from PSX. I‘m hyped (if we are posting the Flame Toys stuff here that is).

Of course!  HasTak is first-party, Flame Toys is third-party.  :good:

1 hour ago, tekering said:

It's a lazy acronym, that's what it is.  The internet is infested with 'em.

<_<

Oh, you meant "What does PSX stand for?"

Planet Steel Express, an online retailer based in Singapore.

Of course!  HasTak is first-party, Flame Toys is third-party.  :good:

I remember the discussion the last time we had it and the outcome was that it should go into the regular thread because it is licensed while everything else here is not.

42 minutes ago, Scyla said:

it should go into the regular thread because it is licensed while everything else here is not.

In that case, we should get the mods to re-name this "The Unlicensed Transformers Thread."  :unsure:

Failing that, we should start a third thread for Flame Toys and the like: "The Transformers That Can't Transform Thread."  :p

10 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

You got nothing to be embarrassed for. MT got really obsessed with those and ended making a sweet deluxe sized version of Nova Prime which I still dig.

Absolutely! It was also a time where there weren't 55 companies announcing and releasing things per month so I could just plain focus and enjoy more. The toys are better nowadays but when it comes to TF collecting I had so much more fun back then. 

3 hours ago, tekering said:

In that case, we should get the mods to re-name this "The Unlicensed Transformers Thread."  :unsure:

Failing that, we should start a third thread for Flame Toys and the like: "The Transformers That Can't Transform Thread."  :p

Hmmm.....that makes life easier.  Done.

Lol, as a minor believer in linguistic prescriptivism, I find it needlessly irritating that the fandom in general insists on the term “third party” for IP piracy in defiance of traditional clear-cut terminology.

Edited by SMS007

8 hours ago, SMS007 said:

Lol, as a minor believer in linguistic prescriptivism, I find it needlessly irritating that the fandom in general insists on the term “third party” for IP piracy in defiance of traditional clear-cut terminology.

Professionally and ethically, I despise IP infringement... but then I see how gorgeous some of these "third party" toys are, and I just can't resist.

1 hour ago, RavenHawk said:

Professionally and ethically, I despise IP infringement... but then I see how gorgeous some of these "third party" toys are, and I just can't resist.

Indeed, that is essentially the sole reason I pay attention to "third party" figures.

I will probably soon get myself the Dino Force set from Black Mamba sheerly for the decoes.

Edited by SMS007

11 hours ago, SMS007 said:

Me too. I get that "bootleg" has negative connotations, but...

I prefer the term "legally-distinct converting robots"

2 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Great review of Azalea.  I am still waiting for the pink version to give to my daughter.

Thanks man, and I can't wait for the regular color. It's just a fun damned toy and it's great to see the O/M and MMC have really found themselves in terms of design and engineering. There was a period where I used to dread getting and trying to transform or play with their stuff and now more often than not I'm impressed and transform most things without instructions fairly fast out of the box.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The full review for Ocular Max's PS-04s Stealth Azalea is up! http://kumastyledesigns.com/ocular-max-stealth-azalea-review/

title-facebook-stealth-Azalea.png

Overall it's a pretty darned solid toy but just a few minor quirks and missing details keep it from being in that "perfect'ish" scoring tier. For the price however, it's hard to not recommend such a fun and nice looking piece that I'd say is arguably the Arcee figure to buy at MP scale right now. Here's a few pics from the gallery portion:

11-173.png

15-132.png

13glow.png

Great review, Kuma. I have the regular colored version PO'd, as I've been impressed with the MMC/OM stuff I've bought, and from comparisons with Rouge, who is really the only other good contender for MP Arcee, this seemed a less aggravating choice while still checking the boxes, if you will. One thing I noticed from watching various reviews on this is that the lower calves are jointed; does that play a part in transformation? It didn't look like it to me, but I'm not handling it, either. Just wanted to ask someone in the know.

Anyway, this looks like another solid piece from MMC/OM. Some nice engineering brought to bear, especially those hips and legs, which are probably one of the stickier points to Arcee's design without giving her some serious birthing hips in bot mode. Looking forward to getting mine when she releases.

that arcee looks great in kumas photos.  they gave her some truly psycho faces.  probably an idw thing.  i wonder why mmc seems to like issuing the black "redeco" before the main colors recently. they did the same with hellion.  is it to get some business for the people that just can't wait to get their hands on the mold?  i guess it sells better as a lead in rather than an actual redeco.  anyway, looks great.  on the fence if i actually want to get the S3 autobots as there isn' t a good kup (don't care for FT's) out i like and to be honest i love seasons 1 and 2 way  way more than i like season 3.   for the cast i already have giant fat no waist swivel magnus (mp-22) and mp hot rod (which ft's hoodlum seems like it will  beat but do i care about hotrod very much?  ntrly) .   i think openplay's springer is still the springer to beat honestly (maybe mmc or xtb can change my mind but i doubt it), FT's upcoming blur looks great.  this arcee is best of the bunch i think.  ft's rouge is prettier but thats about all it has on mmc's.  toyworld/zetas half assed (literally in car mode) is not a consideration at all.  to S3 or not to S3?  hmmm

Thanks, Kuma.  Guess hinges are better than sliders (as they look like they telescope). Hope those hinges are tight.

Edit: New pics of both Magic Square's and Transform Element's MP scaled Optimus Prime figures are up on TFW2005. For my money, Magic Square's is looking to be my next MP OP toy.  There's also a short vid showing off its articulation - pretty impressive looking so far. 

Edited by M'Kyuun

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Thanks, Kuma.  Guess hinges are better than sliders (as they look like they telescope). Hope those hinges are tight.

Edit: New pics of both Magic Square's and Transform Element's MP scaled Optimus Prime figures are up on TFW2005. For my money, Magic Square's is looking to be my next MP OP toy.  There's also a short vid showing off its articulation - pretty impressive looking so far. 

I can't decide.  They both have things I like and dislike (vs the new Takara, which I think is just a mess).  I'm leaning toward Magic Square, because I like the beefy robot proportions and I think he'll look great with Despotron, but TE definitely has it beat for truck mode.

I'm not a fan of the colors on either.  MS is too light all around, and both it and TE seem to be going with a white pelvis and thighs.  I'm all for cartoon accuracy of the "boy, the G1 toys didn't really look much like the cartoon, so let's fix that" variety, but painting something white or using white plastic to match the cartoon when the cartoon was clearly subbing white for silver/chrome is a cartoon-accurate bridge too far in my book.

21 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Honestly the MagicSquare looks like MP-10 got "perfected" which really works for me but at the same time Takara always just seems to have some sort of engineering tricks and whatnot that puts them ahead of the pack so I'm waiting out.

The full review and gallery for Iron Factory's IF EX-29 Rush Beats went up earlier today. http://kumastyledesigns.com/iron-rush-beats-review/

title-twitter-rush-beats.png

The article per normal gives the full breakdown but overall it's pretty much a gush fest over how well done of a retool this is and how awesome Iron Factory has been as a whole. Here are some of the pics from the gallery portion:

3-253.png

4-229.png

9-197.png

8-210.png