That Wei Jiang version has a lot more going on than the old deluxe, and probably still more than the upcoming Studio Series, as nice as it looks. I'm not into Bayformers so much anymore, but  I will say that this is one of the more interesting and unique designs to come out of the Movieverse.  It's some cool engineering to get such a large and wide bot out of a narrow vehicle.  I dig all the panel origami to form his shoulder armor. 

The Full Review for MakeToys MTCD-04 Divine Shooter is up. http://kumastyledesigns.com/toy-review-maketoys-cross-dimension-mtcd-04-divine-shooter/

title-facebook-mt-divine-shooter.png

Article goes into depth but overall it's a decent piece and definitely the most fun God Bomber figure out there. A "good" figure which really could've been something special with a bit more fit and finish! Here's a few pics from the gallery (Approx 30 pics:)

27-26.png 

19-83.png 

12-169.png 

14-147.png 

21-63.png 

8-208.png

PO'd PS-04 Azalea. Still think Rouge has the upper hand aesthetically, but this seems like a better toy, and it still gets a lot right. I'm scratching my head over the telescoping look of the shins; if it was actually part of the transformation, ok, but it's not and they could have been sculpted with a smoother look. Alas, not a dealbreaker, nor is the sparcity of her cockpit, although I think they could have tried just a little harder to clean it up. Unless she just turns out to be a lot of fun to transform, she's going to spend 99% of her time in bot mode anyway, so I'll just stop griping. I also ordered Ater Beta- that car mode is just awesome to my eyes; unlike most of my TFs, he'll probably spend more time in car mode, as I just love the look of it so much.

1 hour ago, slaginpit said:

Gundam epiyon and Optimus Prime had a baby

I was thinking the same thing- it doesn't even look like a Transformer to me, but definitely rocking the Gundam aesthetic. Not my cup of java, but to each his own.

I don't understand why people are feel the need in to comment on the Gundam-ish look of Star Saber. It was in part designed by Kunio Okawara who also was responsible for the RX-78-2 Gundam. To me  a good representation of Star Saber will always have this look to it. I can understand if you don't like the design but the comment: "it looks like a Gundam" doesn't give me any idea what you are thinking about this.

2 hours ago, Scyla said:

I don't understand why people are feel the need in to comment on the Gundam-ish look of Star Saber. It was in part designed by Kunio Okawara who also was responsible for the RX-78-2 Gundam. To me  a good representation of Star Saber will always have this look to it. I can understand if you don't like the design but the comment: "it looks like a Gundam" doesn't give me any idea what you are thinking about this.

Preach. Drift gets it a lot to for any piece that actually looks like his comic form.

Flame Toys is technically Third-Party, even if licensed, so it's ok to be here, even if the thread is 99% unlicensed stuff. 

Every Konami, Capcom, Square, etc NES cartridge ever was the very definition of "licensed Third-Party". (Nintendo made and supplied the actual cartridges, the software companies developed stuff to put on them--but the actual cartridges were still 100% Nintendo's, nobody else could make them--and Nintendo even had yearly restrictions on how many different games a company could make, all tied into the licensing agreement) 

13 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Flame Toys is technically Third-Party, even if licensed, so it's ok to be here, even if the thread is 99% unlicensed stuff. 

Every Konami, Capcom, Square, etc NES cartridge ever was the very definition of "licensed Third-Party". (Nintendo made and supplied the actual cartridges, the software companies developed stuff to put on them--but the actual cartridges were still 100% Nintendo's, nobody else could make them--and Nintendo even had yearly restrictions on how many different games a company could make, all tied into the licensing 

Nintendo...such control freaks, i guess thats how they are able to be in the market for so long and successful at that....thanx for the knowledge sir.

17 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Every Konami, Capcom, Square, etc NES cartridge ever was the very definition of "licensed Third-Party". (Nintendo made and supplied the actual cartridges, the software companies developed stuff to put on them--but the actual cartridges were still 100% Nintendo's, nobody else could make them--and Nintendo even had yearly restrictions on how many different games a company could make, all tied into the licensing agreement) 

there was tengen though. haha  my first home version of afterburner was from them and their black unlicensed carts. lol. yes flame toys is 3rd party.  and yes i kinda hate the flame toys aesthetic for transformers and the fact they don't transform.  FWIW, it "looks like gundam" isn't an indication of looking like an rx-78-2....it looks like modern gundams with their over zeaslous addition of wings, extranneous looking BS, stupid over hip thrusting, shrunken torso huge weapons and calves look.  the rx-78-2 was a beautiful design.  there are a lot of decent gundam designs...most recent ones look like they just add BS on top of lazy design IMO and that is what this star saber looks like...BS..IMHO.

5 minutes ago, slaginpit said:

Wholly beeeeeeeeeeeeep Beep Beeeeep

953572823d.jpg

08fb2e283c.jpg

8cdf31a493.jpg

844b6bde33.jpg

844b6bde33.jpg

4e80f98cc1.jpg

f3db4ebee8.jpg

4dc01dc8bb.jpg

17322f5323.jpg

1069724c89.jpg

i don't even like th movie designs and i like that thing.  its like so monster meats mech its awesome.  might have to go in on that weijiang.  i hear some places are running out of the first preorder.....and atking second batch orders for march.  its gonna be super successful because its 10X better looking than the leader class mold its based on.  i really can't say i like the movie aesthetic most times but i really want the UT challenger and weijang hide shadow (and no i don't need the set b diaroma BS)...but they are pretty big and well space,, don't knwo if i can resist.

12 minutes ago, Mechapilot77 said:

there was tengen though. haha  my first home version of afterburner was from them and their black unlicensed carts. lol. yes flame toys is 3rd party.  and yes i kinda hate the flame toys aesthetic for transformers and the fact they don't transform.  FWIW, it "looks like gundam" isn't an indication of looking like an rx-78-2....it looks like modern gundams with their over zeaslous addition of wings, extranneous looking BS, stupid over hip thrusting, shrunken torso huge weapons and calves look.  the rx-78-2 was a beautiful design.  there are a lot of decent gundam designs...most recent ones look like they just add BS on top of lazy design IMO and that is what this star saber looks like...BS..IMHO.

THIS! this right there.

5 minutes ago, Mechapilot77 said:

i don't even like th movie designs and i like that thing.  its like so monster meats mech its awesome.  might have to go in on that weijiang.  i hear some places are running out of the first preorder.....and atking second batch orders for march.  its gonna be super successful because its 10X better looking than the leader class mold its based on.  i really can't say i like the movie aesthetic most times but i really want the UT challenger and weijang hide shadow (and no i don't need the set b diaroma BS)...but they are pretty big and well space,, don't knwo if i can resist.

I just preordered on ShowZStore. Still available

23 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Ok cool; your'e the mod so just let me know which you prefer because I don't want to cross post both! The ThreeA Prime and BB are coming shortly as well so irl be good to know where to share. 

-------------

Thanks for sharing that,  MechaPilot. I'm a weirdo who likes movie designs but just thinks 90% of transforming toys for them look like crap. They just haven't translated well to me until these 3P companies have been knocking it out of the park recently and that piece is definitely no exception. It's gorgeous.

10 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

i don't even like th movie designs and i like that thing.  its like so monster meats mech its awesome.    its gonna be super successful because its 10X better looking than the leader class mold its based on.  

Agree on both points; this is what I wish Studio Series Blackout had been. Granted, Takara are pumping out MPM versions of most of the characters, so I wouldn't rule out a superior MP version just yet. But, for the record, Weijiang knocked it out of the park. As Kuma put it, it's gorgeous.

10 hours ago, slaginpit said:

Oh I like this new Star Saber Looks Awesome

NEOGDS-196982.jpg?v=3

:P lol

:lol: That's great!  Seriously though, so as not to offend, I have no familiarity with Star Saber beyond simply knowing it exists, so when those Flame Toy pics were shown, and to be clear, I think FT do a beautiful job on their figures (Drift is just a thing of beauty), the aesthetic screamed Gundam to me and I commented honestly from a position of ignorance as to who was being represented. To those who like Star Saber, I'm glad you're getting a premium figure, and I apologize if my offhand Gundam comparison caused offense.  I won't apologize, however, for having a sense of humor and finding Slaginpit's joke pretty darned funny. 

10 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

yes flame toys is 3rd party.  and yes i kinda hate the flame toys aesthetic for transformers and the fact they don't transform.  FWIW, it "looks like gundam" isn't an indication of looking like an rx-78-2....it looks like modern gundams with their over zeaslous addition of wings, extranneous looking BS, stupid over hip thrusting, shrunken torso huge weapons and calves look.  the rx-78-2 was a beautiful design.  there are a lot of decent gundam designs...most recent ones look like they just add BS on top of lazy design IMO and that is what this star saber looks like...BS..IMHO.

Here's where we diverge in our opinions; I actually prefer the more modern Gundam designs, especially Barbatos, which is actually a pretty clean design. I've never cared for the RX-78, as it's a little boring to my eye. I'm not sure which Gundam is pictured, but I dig it and all the hardware it's sporting- it just looks cool to me. Classic designs like the F-91, the Delta Plus, the Zeta Gundam, the Methuss, the Sazabi, and many more are still cool to me as well. I like stuff that transforms, so most of the Gundams with a waverider mode strike my fancy. Anyway, we like what we like, and the world is all the more interesting for our differences as much as our similarities. No offense intended to anyone; just sharing my opinion.

11 hours ago, Valkyrie2008 said:

I've notice there's Set A and Set B, does set A comes with cover for the belly for Heli mode?

It does not appear so.

I’n really tempted by this, but I am also disappointed it’s a little bit of a partsformer by requiring the removal of a couple large pieces to keep the kibble down. <_<

Chris

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

It does not appear so.

I’n really tempted by this, but I am also disappointed it’s a little bit of a partsformer by requiring the removal of a couple large pieces to keep the kibble down. <_<

Chris

Its not so bad. Integration of the belly plate would mean more folding joints and skirts. Its doable but then there is an increase in Price Point. Its nice they actually made a playset of the belly plate. Clever and it keeps the set together

11 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Here's where we diverge in our opinions; I actually prefer the more modern Gundam designs, especially Barbatos, which is actually a pretty clean design. I've never cared for the RX-78, as it's a little boring to my eye. I'm not sure which Gundam is pictured, but I dig it and all the hardware it's sporting- it just looks cool to me. Classic designs like the F-91, the Delta Plus, the Zeta Gundam, the Methuss, the Sazabi, and many more are still cool to me as well. I like stuff that transforms, so most of the Gundams with a waverider mode strike my fancy. Anyway, we like what we like, and the world is all the more interesting for our differences as much as our similarities. No offense intended to anyone; just sharing my opinion.

Yup, what we like is what we like and it can change too.  lol.  Apologies if I came on too stron with my opinions and language...but yeah its perfectly valid to love what i consider over the top designs that have gone too far and yes the old ones can be "boring" to some but not to me.  lol.  Anyway, i think i expressed my dislike of the flame toys stuff because i felt like people who like that aesthetic....already have a huge selection of other anime/gundam robots so i just wondered wny it had to "encroach" on Transformers.  yeah thats super biased and probably not fair.  lol.  To each his own and  yes i'm sure that Star Saber is super aweome to some...and more power to them i guess. 

Edited by Mechapilot77

No problem. Not everything is for everyone. As for my own bias, although I like transforming mecha, in Transformers, I 'm not a big fan of the more "super robot" looking designs, like Star Saber or Super Ginrai (or God Ginrai, for that matter), although I must confess to owning Takara's CW Ginrai. So, I go against my bias sometimes. I don't care for the overall Bayverse aesthetic, but I think that Weijiang Blackout is pretty sweet, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention owning probably a hundred or so Bayformer toys released over the years, and I intend to get Studio Series Dropkick once I find it. I suppose I'm fickle like that. I have little to no remorse over the vast majority of my ABS treasure trove, and I can only hope the same for everyone else. What good is a hobby that you no longer take joy in? For us TF fans, and Macross fans as well, there's never been a more fruitful era to collect higher end toys of the characters and designs we like across the spectrum of themes and lines, from G1 to Japanese Transformers to IDW, and so on, and I'm happy for anyone who finally gets that dream toy they've been waiting for. Cheers!

Regarding Gundam, I'm not a fan of Kanetake Ebikawa's stuff, and I like Washio's Gundam Barbatos even less.

Regarding "Gundam" mechanical design in general, I dig the longer legs and shorter torsos.  It just visually makes them look tall.

Regarding Star Saber, Flame Toys is definitely stylized, but arguably less so than his IDW appearance.

Edited by mikeszekely

1 hour ago, Mechapilot77 said:

so i just wondered wny it had to "encroach" on Transformers.  yeah thats super biased and probably not fair.  lol.  To each his own and  yes i'm sure that Star Saber is super aweome to some...and more power to them i guess. 

Crossover appeal. 

Star Saber looks more conventionally anime because Transformers Victory was a more conventional anime show. It is stereotypical super robot fare, and the hero is a stereotypical super robot.

This toy takes a bit of a modernized panel-y design, for better or worse, but it still hews pretty close to that original style with the big chunky limbs, bright primary colors everywhere, and the blazing sword weapon. And there's nothing wrong with that, Gundimus Prime looks like a fine toy.

No one is being forced to go buy this any more than they are Beast Wars or Pretenders or every combiner set ever. It is an interesting take on the character that can be safely ignored by anyone who isn't feeling it.

On 11/15/2018 at 6:11 PM, Mechapilot77 said:

13 hours ago, JB0 said:

Star Saber looks more conventionally anime because Transformers Victory was a more conventional anime show. It is stereotypical super robot fare, and the hero is a stereotypical super robot.

This toy takes a bit of a modernized panel-y design, for better or worse, but it still hews pretty close to that original style with the big chunky limbs, bright primary colors everywhere, and the blazing sword weapon. And there's nothing wrong with that, Gundimus Prime looks like a fine toy.

No one is being forced to go buy this any more than they are Beast Wars or Pretenders or every combiner set ever. It is an interesting take on the character that can be safely ignored by anyone who isn't feeling it.

I want to address a few things. First if this doesn't look appealing and you dislike the non-transforming aspect of Flame Toys releases I hope you'll be able get (or have) the Star Saber toy of your dreams. I doubt it is the MP version because it is a heaping, streaming pile of sh...  not very good. I like the design of IDW Star Saber so I’m hyped for him.

Secondly I want to dig into the Gundam comparison. The crotch thrust pose you don't need to do to since it is done via a lower torso bend. Gundams have a big center block in their waist area that is protruding outward (even the RX-98). Star Saber has an unusual primary weapon for a Gundam, a zweihaender, which is a stable of many Transformers. He has no Gundam Style head crest and chin. 

Now, to break down the proportions of Star Saber:

All iterations of him have the shoulders that extend upwards On Gundams the shoulder armor gets wider. Even on suits with massive pauldrons, like the Sazabi, they are more wide than high. Star Sabers shoulders style is often found on Transformers like Ultra Magnus, Grimlock, Rodimus and almost all the combiners. Even Optimus Prime has hints of that due to his smoke stacks.

Gundams usually have a much narrower torso section compared to the rest of the body. The proportions on Star Saber are closer to a Transformer. Especially since his original chest is flat whereas Gundams usually have a piece in the center that protrudes outwards. Flame Toys version has that feature because the IDW line art has it but it is not as prominent and narrow. Since it doesn’t transform this religious zealot has a more human lower abdomen so I can understand why this is throwing you off but it is in line with the other Flame Toys figures.

Another feature of Star Saber are the massive blocks of legs that are also present on all representations I know of. On a Gundam the legs are usually more human in shape with a natural curvature towards a distinctly shaped calf and athletic tights. The thighs on Gundams are usually colored in the main color of the suit while Star Sabers are blue. Flame Toys Star Saber legs remind me mostly of the Sinanju Stein. But you know who also has massive blocks for lower legs: Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, the Dinobots... The knee pads are a shared similarity though.

Star Saber colors are the same ones on most of the main Gundams: white, red, blue and yellow. Compared to a Gundam there is too much color variation going on. It is also a popular color scheme for Transformer: Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Starscream to name a few. I guess this colors combination just look heroic.

One thing that that is very similar is the shape of the forearms whereas the G1 Star Saber has big blocks the ones on this version are comparable to a Gundams. Hip skirts that are a stable on a Gundam design but elongated. The angelic backpack is a big part of the Seed/Seed Destiny designs. On the other hand Transformers that turn into flying vehicles (like the V-Star) usually have their wings on the back in a similar configuration so I can see why it was incorporated in the IDW design.

tl:dr;

I think JBOs observation is spot on. To me Star Saber is much more a chunky, Japanese super robot than a Gundam which are lean and athletic. Yes there are some similarities to a Gundam but also many links to the designs from Transformers.

That said the Flame Toys has many design elements from Gundam sprinkled which come from the IDW design as well as the stylization of the Kuro Kara Kuri line so maybe this tips the scale towards the Gundam comparisons? Although the Gundam comparisons are also a stable when talking about G1 Star Saber so I don’t know.

I would say the closest Gundam I could find is the Double Zeta which design predates Star Saber and shares a similar transformation scheme. He also as many similarities to the Autobot leaders that came before him like Optimus, Magnus and Ginrai.

So what do you think about my observations. Do they have merit or am I on the wrong track here and if so why?