21 hours ago, Scyla said:

Wotafa reviews Unique Toys Challenger (TLK Optimus Prime):

It is similar to their Peru Kill (AoE Lockdown) as in offering an impossible transformation where the original designers had no idea how Optimus gets from one shape to another. 

To me it is a shame that this impressive engineering is locked in Bayverse bots that I have no interest in. Why not utilize the same designer that did Challenger and Peru Kill to do an G1 Dreadwind that actually looks like an F-16 Fighting Falcon. On the other hand doing a sleek fighter jet that turns inside out into a robot is probably more difficult compared to the box that is a truck cab. :(

If you are into the movie designs and love Transformers for their engineering I think you might need to get this line of toys. I think the next release is TLK Hot Rod which I look forward to in how it transforms. 

I'm "weird" in the sense that TLK Optimus is one of my favorite tf designs period! This thing is becoming a must. 

46 minutes ago, Scyla said:

I like the design as well but I don't think it fits Optimus Prime or a Transformer.

I dunno... it's all subjective for sure so not arguing but for me it looks pretty dead on like a version of optimus from the head alone and I guess for me it looks like a transformer but obviously from the movie verse as opposed to being able to just draw it into any given cartoon

Part of it is that the truck mode is like quasi-SD to make it work.  It's not blatantly obvious, but it's a far cry from 1:1 accuracy/proportions like an MP Countach mold etc.  If they went for an F-16, it'd be even more obvious/worse. 

The engineering is impressive, but I'd rather have a more accurate vehicle and sacrifice a bit of screen-accuracy-bot-mode.  (Though I know I'm in the minority of having such strong preference for vehicle-accuracy).  I think part of it stems from the fact that any real-world vehicle can't have proportion issues---they're fixed.  Whereas any "humanoid being" can vary a lot, over time etc, and there's a huge range of shapes.  People vary, TF's vary, "any given model of a semi" will not vary outside a narrow range of available manufacturer options. 

"A bit stockier F-16 or Peterbilt 359" stands out in an instant as being fake/wrong, whereas the same doesn't for a person or robot. 

*yes I know he's not a Peterbilt in worst of the Bay films, but I don't know the model off the top of my head

15 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Part of it is that the truck mode is like quasi-SD to make it work.  It's not blatantly obvious, but it's a far cry from 1:1 accuracy/proportions like an MP Countach mold etc.  If they went for an F-16, it'd be even more obvious/worse. 

The engineering is impressive, but I'd rather have a more accurate vehicle and sacrifice a bit of screen-accuracy-bot-mode.  (Though I know I'm in the minority of having such strong preference for vehicle-accuracy).  I think part of it stems from the fact that any real-world vehicle can't have proportion issues---they're fixed.  Whereas any "humanoid being" can vary a lot, over time etc, and there's a huge range of shapes.  People vary, TF's vary, "any given model of a semi" will not vary outside a narrow range of available manufacturer options. 

"A bit stockier F-16 or Peterbilt 359" stands out in an instant as being fake/wrong, whereas the same doesn't for a person or robot. 

*yes I know he's not a Peterbilt in worst of the Bay films, but I don't know the model off the top of my head

I’m with you David. I prefer Alt mode accuracy. They are supposed to be in disguise after all. I don’t begrudge anyone who has a problem with the Trucks accuracy, even though I can’t really see it as I don’t have an eye for trucks, but it would drive me nuts with an aircraft. ;)

I do appreciate the incredible engineering in this toy, though. I may have to get one.

Chris

I've gained a heightened respect for Unique Toys; Challenger is an incredible feat of engineering.  I vehemently dislike the TLK Prime design; in bot mode it has no semblance whatsoever to a Transformer- remove the red and blue and those stupid flames, give it a new paint job, maybe a new head, and you could drop it into any sci-fi show as a general mech and few would be the wiser. So, to take a design that had nothing indicative of transformation and have it come out as well as it did in truck mode is an impressive feat. There are so many moving parts in this figure, and the alignments, some curved, are remarkable for their precision. Really just a stellar job; I think Challenger is a good handle for it, not just for the folks who buy it, but also for the design team who figured it all out.

Always enjoy Wotafa's reviews; his enthusiasm is infectious, and although I don't know what he's saying, he still gives a clear review with a well done transformation. 

17 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

its a good thing i dont' have intimate knowledge of teh proportions of a western star 700 o ra petebilt.  lol.  honestl the alt mode looks ok to me but yeah its just an impressive figure.  i wish it were smaller (matchin say mp-10 in height and thus mpm-04).  i might actually get one and i haven't bought bayverse stuff in a long ass time because the initial excitement of omg transformers franchise wore out about 9 years ago. haha. 

20 hours ago, Kuma Style said:

I dunno... it's all subjective for sure so not arguing but for me it looks pretty dead on like a version of optimus from the head alone and I guess for me it looks like a transformer but obviously from the movie verse as opposed to being able to just draw it into any given cartoon

For me what makes a Transformer a Transformer is that you can see what vehicle it is transforming into from a look at the robot mode. Utilizing shapes that aren't suppose to parts of a humanoid body as such (like the forward fuselage of a jet as a torso). As a kid I always looked at some of my Lego spaceships and imagine how they could transform. Like that cockpit could transform into a foot, etc.

On that AoE/TLK Prime you can't really tell what he transforms into so for me that doesn't sit well with me in a Transformers context.

I took advantage of the lull in new toys to plug a hole in my collection with a figure I didn't get around to picking up way back when he was released.  This is Unique Toys' Buzzing, their take on an MP-style Blurr.

IMG_20181006_233823.jpg.aab82d22371e3ea65a5b8745f97d32af.jpg

I'm going to level with you... Blurr is probably my least favorite Season 3 Autobot (Wreck-Gar being the runner up).  Even as a kid I didn't care for his schtick, and he always kind of seemed like the odd man out to the tighter core of Rodimus, Kup, Springer, Arcee, and Ultra Magnus.  So when I first looked at Buzzing my initial reaction was, "yep, that looks like Blurr."  I actually have to go back and look at the G1 toy, which I had, and the animation model to notice the color inaccuracies.  The metallic blue paint on his shins should match his thighs.  I think his silver feet should probably be white, but whether white or silver the light blue on his lower legs should match his feet.  He shouldn't have any yellow on his crotch or shoulders.  The silver on his knees should be the same blue as his shins.  There shouldn't be white on his abs, and the dark blue should cover his whole waist and abs up to about where this cockpit is.  The cockpit should have a stripe of lighter blue on the front.  The dark blue running up his forearms should really only go around his wrists.  The dark blue thrusters on his shoulders should be light blue at the base.  His white forehead and crest should be light blue.  But I don't really care about any of that.  The shape is fine (maybe the cockpit could stick out a little more, but I think it's fine).  The colors are close enough (and to be frank, some of the stuff like the light blue on his lower legs are concessions to his vehicle mode).

What bugs me more than the colors is his size.  He's taller than Hot Rod but shorter than Carry, which is as it should be... but he should really only be a little taller than Hot Rod, maybe half a head, and probably a little shorter than he already is compared to Carry.  If he were maybe a head shorter, I think that'd be ideal.

It's worth noting that I picked this figure up from another collector and got one of the originals, with a painted white chest.  Be advised that UT reissued this guy last year, but instead of white for the cockpit it's a translucent blue.  Some people dig that, since it's more like a window in alt mode.  Personally white looks more "correct" to me.

IMG_20181006_230608.jpg.5f46b34ca6118a34428ab6f61050ca77.jpg

Buzzing doesn't come with a ton of accessories.  You have a gun that isn't a Targetmaster, a Targetmaster, and a black and translucent blue ball of some sort.  I guess it's something from some episode, but I really can't recall what it might be.  As for the Targetmaster, I'll give UT some credit for going with something unconventional instead of the usual "fold guy in half", but I'm not sure how effective the result actually is.  The resulting gun fits together a little funny and doesn't quite line up right due to the limits in the range of his joints.  Specifically, the barrel always winds up bent to left.  The barrel doesn't actually have a hole, either.  Interestingly, the other gun splits in half, and you can plug part of it onto the butt of the Targetmaster gun and the barrel clips on top of and mostly sits in front of the Targetmaster barrel to create a longer rifle.  The extra length exacerbates the bend in the barrel, though.  I do believe that he and the ball are going back in the box.

IMG_20181006_230738.jpg.65c24146314c33ef16a58352480981f1.jpg

I do like his size, though.  He's about the same size as a Maketoys or FansToys Headmaster or a Maketoys Targetmaster.  To me, that's how the G1 toys were, and I do believe that's accurate to both the US cartoon and The Headmasters.  That does mean, though, that he's much shorter than the Targetmaster that came with the US release of MP-09, Carry's Targetmaster, or the the X-Transbots Targetmasters (I think the FT ones, too, but I can't confirm).  As far as articulation, the little guy has no neck, ball jointed shoulders that can rotate freely and extend laterally about 30 degrees.  Transformation joints give him a backwards butterfly.  His waist can rotate and bend backward on a ball joint.  His elbows bend 90 degrees, but there's no bicep or wrist swivels.  His hips are ball joints that can go forward and backward over 90 degrees and laterally about 90 degrees, although his left hip is constantly popping off on my copy.  His hips can swivel a little over the ball joints.  Knees are single hinges that get well beyond 90 degrees.  No articulation in the feet or ankles.

IMG_20181006_234316.jpg.b4da18913cd2af099783a7e5bbb43ee3.jpg

As for Buzzing himself, he can rotate his head, look up maybe 20-30 degrees, and look down maybe 10-20 degrees.  His shoulders rotate on ratchets, and a hinge lets him move his arms laterally a little over 90 degrees.  His biceps swivel just above the elbow.  Not that you need it, but due to transformation there's a swivel just below his elbow, too.  Speaking of elbows, his are double jointed and can curl the whole way up.  His wrists can swivel.  His thumb is fixed, but his fingers are pinned at the base knuckle, and his index finger is separate from the other three.  His waist swivels.  His legs are soft ratcheted forward, and the hip skirts move out the way so he can get a little over 90 degrees.  Backward range is the same.  He can get a little over 90 degrees laterally, too, on much stronger ratchets with about 7 clicks from straight down to fully to the side, so the spacing is good.  He's got cut thigh swivels, and double-jointed knees (ratcheted upper, friction lower) that get you past 90 degrees.  His feet can tilt up an extreme amount, but not down.  He does have hinges for ankle pivots, but there's not flaps or cuts in the armor around his ankles, so the range is pretty limited.

He holds his weapons so-so.  I mean, he holds them better than some official MPs do (cough, Sideswipe, cough cough).  There's no tabs or slots or rails or anything holding it in place, though.  It's just the tension in his fingers holding it in place.  That tension is strong enough that I haven't gotten him to drop it, but if you jostle him a little you might find the gun askew in his grip.

IMG_20181006_234424.jpg.9ca6f66333f4b65ba445a0e044500905.jpg

As for that ball, he can hold it... kind of.  You're just setting it on his open palm.  He can't really close his fingers on it, so even a slight bump will knock it off, and his hand has to be perfectly flat or it'll roll right out.

One accessory that Buzzing does not have is the shield that makes up the front end of the vehicle on the G1 toy... and the Titans Return toy, and SXS's Overclocking.  Which is why I kind of want to show off Buzzing's back.  His robot mode is extremely clean, especially when you considering that he's hiding way that big ol' nose.  And those elbow flaps of his have springs.  So you can bend them out of the way if you need to get him in a pose, but they'll always try to lay as flat against his forearms as they can.

IMG_20181006_230820.jpg.803c9dfcd62a8e067f77f28f26be1648.jpg

Buzzing turns into a flying space car, as you'd expect.  Again, I think it's a little too large.  And once again I have to consult the animation model to see where the colors are wrong.  Excluding the end of the nose he should be all light blue from the cockpit forward.  The antenna thing should be a light blue, and the rear of the main body should be the dark blue.  The rear thrusters should again be dark blue at the ends but light blue at the base, and there should be more dark blue details around the engine bulges on the sides of his nacelles.  As with the robot mode, I'm honestly not super bothered by the color inaccuracies (although, as the rear section is mostly hidden in robot mode anyway, it is kind of curious that they didn't match it to the cartoon better.  It's technically toy accurate, but since Blurr's toy colors were almost inverted from the cartoon it's basically the only thing that's toy-accurate).

IMG_20181006_231516.jpg.33781a9f673304dda411f7e554fa2873.jpg

While I feel like the robot mode nailed the shape of Blurr, Buzzing's alt mode is a little off.  The darker tip at the end is too long, and comes to too narrow of a point.  He seems slightly too wide, especially at the rear where I think the nacelles should tuck against the body better.  The nacelles themselves have a gap in the middle, and they seem a little tall top-to-bottom, too, or it's too low on the body.  This extra height means that instead of the nacelle being smooth at the bottom of the front, it runs back into an block jutting out from the bottom.  However, there's a lot of interesting stuff going on here.  Like, the nacelles aren't entirely made from his arms the way you might expect.  His legs actually make up the back half of each nacelle.  The exhausts on his shoulders are fake and hidden under the vehicle, and the ones you see on the back of the alt mode unfurl from his calves.  The spring-loaded flaps never unfold the way they do on the G1 toy.    The front half of his torso unfolds one way to make the nose, while his back turns inside-out to make everything behind the seat.  And that seat is actually made from his heels.  The way he kind of turns inside out actually makes me think of DX9's newer Bayverse figures.  I wouldn't be surprised if Buzzing was one of the earlier works of the same person who designed those.  I'd go so far as to say that transforming Buzzing is fun and clever the way Fansproject's Chromedome and Brainstorm were, and that helps me forgive some of the inaccuracies and weird proportions.

IMG_20181006_231257.jpg.d8861ab45f2a4fb06e12bd4959ecc204.jpg

Well, regarding that seat, you can kind of put the Targetmaster in it.  He doesn't really fit in a seated position, though.  I have him sort of scrunched up with his knees to his chest.  There are slots on either side of his antenna fin.  You can use a tab on the top of the gun to plug it in behind the cockpit.  That works in either gun-sans-Targetmaster mode or combined gun-and-Targetmaster mode, but the Target master in solo gun mode doesn't have a tab and can't store there.

When deciding whether or not to recommend Buzzing the big question mark is going to be the fact that FansToys announced that they're doing a Blurr figure called Jabber.  From what little we've seen Jabber looks to be closer in size to what I think is correct.  He's more cartoon accurate in shape and design in both modes.  And, knowing FansToys, the colors will probably more cartoon accurate.  Jabber will probably be a heftier figure, since FT loves cramming in diecast (Buzzing has none).  If anything about how Buzzing looks feels off to you, and you care more about the character than I do, you might want to hold off.

On the other hand, I haven't really been super happy with any of FT's releases since Phoenix and Sovereign.  Their engineering has been full of odd choices that have led to overcomplicated, messy transformations that suck the fun out of the figure.  I don't care how good Jabber looks, if he's half as much of a pain as Rouge was I wouldn't go near him.

And, while not perfect, I think Buzzing is a pretty good figure overall, one that many collectors would be content to have in their collection as their MP Blurr.  He's fun.  So I think my advice would be this- if you're content with how he looks, you can't wait to fill that gap in your collection, or you find a good deal on him, go ahead and get Buzzing.

If the inaccuracies bug you, though, or you're only seeing Buzzing going for retail, and you're not in a hurry to get a Blurr, you might as well wait.  You may decide you like Jabber better.  Or, even if you ultimately decide you don't, you could always pick up Buzzing then.  Even if retail stock of Buzzing is dried up by then you can be there will be people wanting to sell their Buzzing to get FansToys' even if it turns out to be the worst figure FT's ever made.  Because FansToys.

Now, to find a Kup and a Wreck-Gar to complete my main movie/Season 3 Autobots...

Edited by mikeszekely

5 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Now, to find a Kup and a Wreck-Gar to complete my main movie/Season 3 Autobots...

Well, I'm not entirely sold on "Koot" -- like you, I'm wary of FansToys products these days -- but "Jabber" looks a whole lot better than "Buzzing" does.

Thankfully, we already have a definitive Masterpiece Wreck-Gar with KFC's "Crash Hog."

iconic.jpg

wreck-bike.jpg

red_eyes.jpg

noisy.jpg

The design, the engineering, the die-cast heft, the quality of the paint...  I couldn't believe what KFC was capable of!

Honestly, TakaraTomy couldn't possibly do any better.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Well, I'm not entirely sold on "Koot" -- like you, I'm wary of FansToys products these days -- but "Jabber" looks a whole lot better than "Buzzing" does.

Thankfully, we already have a definitive Masterpiece Wreck-Gar with KFC's "Crash Hog."

Yeah, I saw the reviews for Koot and basically said, "nope, that's not for me."  I'm holding out to see how XTB's Locke turns out.  The renders and early prototype's looked better, but the prototype that was at whatever toy fair last weekend looked pretty off.  But I suppose if Locke does turn out to be the worse of the two, and no one else announces one, I'll have to settle for Koot.

As for Crash Hog, yeah, he's definitely on my buy list, but stock has totally dried up on him.  BBTS was supposedly taking preorders for a reissue of the Crash Hog/Dump Yard two pack, but they were the only ones, they stopped, and I haven't heard beans about a reissue since.  If a reissue does happen, I'll definitely try to nab one.

Aside from filling those two holes, barring any major issues I'm going to sell Rouge and pick up MMC's Azalea.  I'm keeping an eye on FT's Hoodlum; if it turns out good I'll replace MP-28, if it's as bad as their other Season 3 Autobots I've still got MP-28.  I'm open to replacing Big Spring with either MMC or XTB's Springers if either actually comes to fruition and turns out ok, but again if not I'm pretty content with Big Spring.  I love Carry to death so I'm set on Rodimus Prime and Buzzing is really all the Blurr I need.  As for Magnus, I won't replace The Hyper Magnum with another all-in-one Ultra Magnus, but if someone makes an MP-style white Optimus that combines with a trailer I could be tempted.  Oh, and I guess I'll have to pick up Ollie.

Beyond that, I guess I'd have to get a Constructor-sized Computron at some point.  I do want a Sandstorm, but I've got no interest in Sworder.  I'd like an MP Broadside.  I'd be up for the Autobot tapes if MMC wants to do them.  I'm not sure what my plan is for a Metroplex; going by the scale chart an actual MP citybot would be around six feet tall, but even something bigger than Gabriel probably isn't practical in my space.  I guess Sky Lynx was a pretty big Season 3 character, but as cool as it is I don't think MMC's is the right one for me.  Maybe if Gigapower finishes theirs after their Dinobots.  Beyond that, everything is optional.  I could probably go for Goldbug, but I'm ok with ToyWorld's and I don't really care about the other Throttlebots.  I've got zero interest in an Outback- I actually forgot that he'd appeared in the cartoon.  Zero interest in Hubcap.  I'm slightly interested in Tailgate, Swerve, and Pipes, but that owes far more to IDW than G1, and I'd insist that any version I get not be a retool of Huff and whatever Gears and Windcharger I land on.

Am I missing anyone?  If the Autobot clones were in the cartoon I don't care, don't need them.  I also can't recall that the Monsterbots were ever in the cartoon, but one of these days I might pick them up just because Fans Hobby's look fun.

MMC's Sky-Lynx looks promising, but it's most definitely not Masterpiece-scaled.

33 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I'm keeping an eye on FT's Hoodlum; if it turns out good I'll replace MP-28, if it's as bad as their other Season 3 Autobots I've still got MP-28.  I'm open to replacing Big Spring with either MMC or XTB's Springers if either actually comes to fruition and turns out ok, but again if not I'm pretty content with Big Spring.

Okay, I admit I've been steadily losing interest in Transformers over the past couple years, but I was deeply into the third-party scene back when "Hoodlum" was announced... like, three years ago.  Are you seriously telling me it's STILL not out?

Nor is XTB's "Virtus," or MMC's "Saltus" (both announced back in 2016)?

Sheesh.  Somebody wake me when Zeta finally finishes their Bruticus.  :lazy:

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Are you seriously telling me it's STILL not out?

Nor is XTB's "Virtus," or MMC's "Saltus" (both announced back in 2016)?

Nope to all three.  Hoodlum is looking close, though.  I though MMC's Saltus looked close, but it sounds like it won't be out until after Azalea, 'toon Sphinx, Inventa, and possibly one or two Combaticons.  I genuinely have no idea when Virtus is coming.  Sounds like their Skids, possibly their Crosscut, and most likely at least the other three Stunticon cars are ahead of it.

2 hours ago, tekering said:

Sheesh.  Somebody wake me when Zeta finally finishes their Bruticus.

Like DA said, it's done.  I'm just waiting for NA retailers to get theirs (and Challenger) before I ship my stack, but people that bought from China have had him for awhile.

2 hours ago, tekering said:

MMC's Sky-Lynx looks promising, but it's most definitely not Masterpiece-scaled.

1 hour ago, Dangard Ace said:

MMC Skylynx is going in my MP display.  He’s MP scale for The Return of Optimus Prime episodes.

I don't really care about the scale (frankly, I don't think I'd have room for a properly-scaled Sky Lynx).  While I don't think MMC went overboard on the design, I do think there's a reason he's in the Reformatted line and not Ocular Max.  Something just looks off about him.

I don't think I'd have room for a properly-scaled Sky Lynx.

Oh, I ran out of room long ago.  :(

animenorthwest.jpg

Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a properly-scaled Sky-Lynx if they made one, though!  ^_^

While I don't think MMC went overboard on the design, I do think there's a reason he's in the Reformatted line and not Ocular Max.  Something just looks off about him.

Yeah, the Reformatted line has always been aimed at CHUG collectors, since they don't suit the style or the scale of Masterpiece figures.

7 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

MMC Skylynx is going in my MP display.  He’s MP scale for The Return of Optimus Prime episodes.  

Fair enough.  Much of the season 3 cast doesn't appear on any existing scale charts, so conjecture based on individual episodes is all we have... and at least The Return of Optimus Prime wasn't animated by AKOM.  <_<

5 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Hi Kuma, nice picture of this beast, any thoughts about the figure ? How would much would you recommend it quality /articulation wise ?

Highly Recommended. You can pretty much pull off many poses.

Much more articulation than the original. Just keep in mind that the wings are heavy and as you can see it there has them bracing the figure. However you can pull off the poses by angling the wings up and readjusting the weight distribution in the legs feet and waist 

On 10/17/2018 at 5:28 AM, Xigfrid said:

Hi Kuma, nice picture of this beast, any thoughts about the figure ? How would much would you recommend it quality /articulation wise ?

It's honestly a big flopping disappointment. Horrible materials used, loose joints, and limited articulation in general on top of some pretty significant balancing issues. 

And also to correct the poster above, it's not balancing on the wings as they'd break. The hinges are just so loose that they don't stay up well.

2-266.png

Edited by Kuma Style

On 10/10/2018 at 3:19 PM, tekering said:

You don't know the half of it, son.  You should see the rest of the house.  :unsure:

hallwaysouth.jpg

Wow! This is not a house, Tekering. It's a museum. It's a walk down memory lane. ^_^

How much for an entrance ticket? And do you hand out freebies too? ;)

6 hours ago, Kuma Style said:

It's honestly a big flopping disappointment. Horrible materials used, loose joints, and limited articulation in general on top of some pretty significant balancing issues. 

And also to correct the poster above, it's not balancing on the wings as they'd break. The hinges are just so loose that they don't stay up well.

I'd not gotten that impression from TFW, very interesting to read.  I plan on waiting for a Cryotek recolor, hopefully they'll fix a few issues. 

On 10/10/2018 at 3:19 PM, tekering said:

You don't know the half of it, son.  You should see the rest of the house.  :unsure:

hallwaysouth.jpg

Holy crap, has your collection been on TV?  I think I saw something like it on Begin Japanology or something like that.

Impressive collection, would be awesome to see it in person.

Back on topic, I'm a little slow on collecting transformers, been out of it for about 30 years and only started again recently.  Bought one of those MPP10s, will have to post some pics when I get a chance.

Edited by peter