Dinoking is from Victory, same as Liokaiser and Star Saber. I'm sensing a pattern here. :p (I kind of want to buy MP Star Saber now BTW... :rolleyes: )

Edited by anime52k8

To be fair, I was losing interest in Transformers by the time the Pretenders were coming out (I think I only had Jazz and Bumblebee, and that's because they were season 1 characters), and I'd probably do without Monstructor if he hadn't had a major role in the early IDW fiction.

On that note, want me to do a total 180 on TFC's Liokaiser? Get the Breastforce a major story arc in More Than Meets the Eye. Seriously, IDW's already sold me on half the ReFormatted line (after Combiners). Six Shot (Terminus Hexatron), Arcee (Azalea), Kaon (Anarchus), Vos (Cynicus), Nova Prime (Seraphicus Prominion), Impactor (Spartan), and Tarn (Commotus) are all either IDW-original characters or what I consider to be the definitive versions of those characters, plus MMC's got IDW-ish not-Overlord and not-Cyclonus in the works.

On that note, want me to do a total 180 on TFC's Liokaiser? Get the Breastforce a major story arc in More Than Meets the Eye.

You have noticed Leozack is hanging around with Tarn in the last few issues, right? I don't know the other team members well enough to notice if any IDW versions of them have shown up as well.

I feel like I need to watch Victory at some point, because I'm kind of becoming obsessed with the mecha designs from that show. I'm seriously thinking about getting Liokaiser, I kind of want to get MP Star Saber, and I've been looking harder and harder at getting the Greatshot repaint of Terminus Hexatron.

So, what are the thoughts on the Warbotron Computron vs Quantron? I can't seem to find any reviews that compare them. But I've watched peaugh's videos for Quantron, and I've watched emgo316's videos for Warbotron's not-Afterburner, not-Scattershot, and the whole combiner. Some things I've noticed:

Warbotron is, perhaps, too large. For some reason, in my mind, Autobot combiners should be smaller than Decepticon ones. The Maketoys ones look like nice Deluxes with a Voyager-ish Scattershot and a combined mode maybe a little bigger than a Combiner Wars gestalt, but Warbotron looks like Voyager limbs with a Scattershot that's as tall as Leader Ultra Magnus, and a combined mode taller than Ordin (although still shorter than CW Devy).

Warbotron, at least the on in emgo's review, looked fiddlier, with arms prone to falling out and weaker elbow joints. Given stories I've heard about their Bruticus (the WuKong KO is supposed to be better quality than the original), QC seems like a concern.

Warbotron has a lot more partsforming. I find the parts you have to attach to the limbs to form wrists and ankles before you attach the hands and feet especially egregious.

So, especially with Quantron being a lot cheaper, Quantron should be the clear winner, right? Well, not exactly. The thing is, and this is a big one... I really like the overall aesthetic of Warbotron better. Even before looking at Warbotron I wasn't entirely sold on Maketoys renditions of the Technobots*, especially their Scattershot and their Lightspeed. The Warbotron ones have a deliciously blocky, updated G1 look that I find really appealing. Even if you don't like it, you have to concede that they're more G1-accurate (unless Warbotron really went off the rails on the three Technobots I didn't watch reviews for yet).

*Except Strafe. Yeah, Blindfire isn't particularly G1 accurate, but he's drop dead sexy.

Any other input?

Here is a playlist of the Warbotron Computron by Bobby Skullface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEfPT1Qh6U0&list=PLtI3sxvRuL_m6WE0xqaZTJtdgqjr2CA0n

He also did a review on Quantron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQtCVRPYL-M&list=PLDd86sl_T76t5JDCPPyyz6EjtF64Lt0cm

I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole.

Regarding Quantron. I really like the FP/MT combiner aesthetic but all their stuff has some problems you have to overlook to really enjoy their products. Also I think their stuff doesn't go well with any other product on the market other than their own bots, so their stuff is their own universe.

The good parts of Computron:

• The look and feel is fantastic. Plastic quality is great, good mix of paint, opaque plastic and translucent parts.
  • Great sculpt and sharply molded edges.
  • Each member is a solid toy on its own
  • Many built in play patterns.
  • Good posability and solid stance.
  • Intriguing transformations on all the limb bots (Metal Storm not so much)

The bad parts of Computron:

• Most people seem to hate Sonic Drills transformation (I think it is great)
  • Plastic pins for the joints
  • Really thin torso
  • Some engineering doesn't seem to be thought through all the way (the giant L-shaped strut on Metal Stroms back
  • The hip, waist and knee area on the torso are not really well proportioned.
  • The transformation on the torso is a letdown (why isn't the head stored away in some sort of compartment).
  • Even if they tried to hide it you have the thigh elbows on the arms. In addition you have to stare at the hollowed out backside of the thighs.
  • I hate hate hate the way Blindfire transforms into arm mode (hide those fists or at least give him some white knuckle guards to hide them better)
  • The Celeritas leg is held together by translucent parts (haven't heard of any breakage but it is scary es hell)
  • The main gun is a bit under detailed (no paint apps) and does not really have a good storage spot on the toy

You see the toy has many problems. However if you are into the aesthetic of the FP/MT robots he is totally worth it (for a healthy discount). Especially if you are planning to but other combiners from the two companies (Guardia, M³, Ryu-Oh) he is a worthy addition to your collection.

Edited by Scyla

I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole.

Well, I don't know that I'd go that far. I mean, you didn't like Ordin, and I'm constantly debating in my head whether I like Ordin or Feral Rex better. I mean, I like 3 out of 5 of their Bruticus guys...

But yeah... didn't watch Bobby Skullface's reviews yet (I've watched his reviews for other stuff, and I don't think I'm a fan), but I finished emgo's. And ultimately, I'm forced to conclude that Warbotron has the best Scattershot, they both have good Afterburners, Maketoys has the better Strafe, and Warbotron's Lightspeed and Nosecone look better but ultimately suffer from some flaws that have me looking at Maketoys again. Given that I'd rather have smaller Autobot combiners and the fact that Quantron's pretty cheap now, I'm definitely thinking about changing my vote.

Regarding Quantron. I really like the FP/MT combiner aesthetic but all their stuff has some problems you have to overlook to really enjoy their products. Also I think their stuff doesn't go well with any other product on the market other than their own bots, so their stuff is their own universe.

However if you are into the aesthetic of the FP/MT robots he is totally worth it (for a healthy discount). Especially if you are planning to but other combiners from the two companies (Guardia, M³, Ryu-Oh) he is a worthy addition to your collection.

I'll take that into consideration, for sure. I think it's too early to tell if I like MT/FP's aesthetic, though. I mean, generally I prefer a more G1 look than Quantron is offering, and while I think that the combined look of Giant was good I really dislike most of the individual bots. On the flip side, I think Rover and Himed (and from what I can tell, Vulcan and the combined Guardia) look great, Katana looks good but problematic, and I could take or leave Axel. And I really dig Intimidator. Maybe they're just getting better, eh?

Well, I don't have to decide anything now. I just finished buying the Ordin guys, plus I have Seraphicus Prominion, his trailer, ToyWorld's Bii, and the last two Feralcons on preorder yet and all five could ship (and I could get charged) just about any day now. I gotta let my credit card rest for awhile before I think about getting another combiner, and when I do I'll probably either buy Guardia's limbs from BBTS or TFSource, or try to track down an Intimidator on Ebay.

Oh yeah, speaking of Toyworld, how is that I can buy pretty much every toy they've ever made except Orion?

EDIT: After watching Bobby Skullface's videos of Quantron and Warbotron, I just don't know. They both seem to have their share of flaws, and I'm reminded again of how much I dislike Maketoys' not-Lightspeed. I find myself really wanting WuKong to rip off Warbotron (again).

Addendum: Does anyone have any experience with Toyworld's Throttlebot combiner? The Throttlebots meet my G1 criteria for a combiner, and the thing seems really solid. But Throttlebots, man... I couldn't even name one that isn't Goldbug, and I feel it's kind of lame how not-Goldbug is the combiner's backpack. Like, is he even necessary? Maybe I'll skip him and just get not-Goldbug.

Edited by mikeszekely

What would you guys say is a fair price to pay for Intimidator?

Be careful you have to check if Down Forces canopy is still intact. If I remember correctly many people rotated it the wrong way and broke it. Also some of the edges on Car Crash and T-Bone are prone to get caught during transformation so they might have stress marks on them. T-Bone in particular since he is not white ^_^. Also be sure to check the arm connectors some people ripped them out (it is a constant danger on mine even if I try to keep David tips in mind). I also think there is a potential breakage issue with the hinges and ratchets in the upper torso so be sure to check those also.

Also the official name of the combiner is M³ I believe.

Be careful you have to check if Down Forces canopy is still intact. If I remember correctly many people rotated it the wrong way and broke it. Also some of the edges on Car Crash and T-Bone are prone to get caught during transformation so they might have stress marks on them. T-Bone in particular since he is not white ^_^. Also be sure to check the arm connectors some people ripped them out (it is a constant danger on mine even if I try to keep David tips in mind). I also think there is a potential breakage issue with the hinges and ratchets in the upper torso so be sure to check those also.

Also the official name of the combiner is M³ I believe.

It's easier to type Intimidator, though, and that's what all the ebay listings are under. I guess Fansproject isn't interested in re-releasing these guys, but it seems like I can buy every member new except Down Force, so, hence, Ebay. I was watching one that was hovering around $200, but there was no "Buy it now" option and it shot up in price about a half hour before the end of the auction. Now I'm looking at one that's $310 with a "Buy It Now" and was apparently transformed just once into the combined mode and put into a display case, then once back and repackaged.

EDIT: So I just went ahead and bought it.

Edited by mikeszekely

I really recommend Breaux Mans transformation videos for these toys (credit to David for the hint). It will save you a lot of headache. I hope you enjoy him. :)

Edited by Scyla

I really recommend Breaux Mans transformation videos for these toys (credit to David for the hint). It will save you a lot of headache. I hope you enjoy him. :)

Thanks for the tip, Scyla (and David ;)). I've watched a few video reviews, and I think I will. Since I don't mind partsforming as much as some people, I was pleased to see Diesel's hip kibble can be removed. I wish the truck cab was still his feet and not his shins, but hey, he's WAAAAAY closer to the Motormaster look than the Hasbro one. Actually, the whole Intimidator/M3 looks more like Menasor than the Hasbro one. So right now my only concerns are the fact part of M3's gun is needed to fill the forearm gap in Last Chance, that Down Force's wheels seem to hold M3's hand a little limply, and that Last Chance and Down Force's hips might make for weak elbows. The first of those two concerns, along with the gap between LC and DF's thighs, potentially lose ankles, lack of places to put Decepticon emblems, the screw and little gaps on M3's abs, and a replacement canopy for Down Force can all be solved with DMY's kit, which looks to be available at both BBTS and TFSource.

Now I've just got to pay off all the stuff I've bought lately so I can work on the remaining 8-ish combiners on my list...

It's a slippery slope, but still a fun ride.

Yeah. I mean, it wouldn't be as bad if I wasn't so late aboard the 3P train. I'm shelling out (probably more than I should) to play catch up. Still, I've just had it with how cheap Hasbro's become. I'd rather spend $100 on a single great Voyager-sized 3P toy than 4 Hasbro Voyagers (that are probably retoolings of just two molds anyway).

The gun isn't needed to fill the forearm. It just seems that like 90% of people don't close the arm back up if they remove the gun parts. See here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachments/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/27417960d1391975406-fansproject-stunticons-menasor-aka-m3-intimidator-img_0542.jpg

That is how the forearm is supposed to look.

PS----read this and do this: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/1003017-fansproject-diesel-tight-waist-area-fix.html

On mine, I didn't remove anything, but I did sand down the ratchets. I also sanded the skirt/armor vs simply scraping away the seam lines. Trust me, it makes transforming Diesel way easier.

Dinoking is from Victory, same as Liokaiser and Star Saber. I'm sensing a pattern here. :p (I kind of want to buy MP Star Saber now BTW... :rolleyes: )

Oh great, sigh. Now I am seriously considering buying my first 3P in Liokaiser. So pricey though, but then again I don't have a combiner so there's a void that needs fillin'. After watching reviews Not-Hellbat seems amazing. Being a newbie, is this company trust worthy in terms of QC issues from their past offerings?

TFC is pretty good in terms of QC, they've been good about providing fixes when figures turned out to have problems and their newer stuff has seems to have been relatively problem free.

This increases the risk of buying them off ebay a bit then.

Depends on what you're shopping for. I'm not aware of any KO's of TFC's Liokaiser members. And in some cases, like the WuKong KO of Warbotron's Bruticus, the KO might actually fix some of the issues of the original toys.

The gun isn't needed to fill the forearm. It just seems that like 90% of people don't close the arm back up if they remove the gun parts. See here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachments/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/27417960d1391975406-fansproject-stunticons-menasor-aka-m3-intimidator-img_0542.jpg

That is how the forearm is supposed to look.

PS----read this and do this: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/1003017-fansproject-diesel-tight-waist-area-fix.html

On mine, I didn't remove anything, but I did sand down the ratchets. I also sanded the skirt/armor vs simply scraping away the seam lines. Trust me, it makes transforming Diesel way easier.

Thanks for the tips, David. Yeah, the reviews I mentioned did show that you can fold in Last Chance's wheels like that, but the consensus seems to be that it makes for odd proportions.

I'm thinking about buying the DMY kit after my Intimidator comes. I don't know that I'll use all of it, since I like Down Force without trying to make him more G1, but I like the spoiler for Car Crash, the little filler bits that give you places to put Decepticon symbols, the forearm plate that goes on Last Chance, the neck and ab filler, and the elbow fillers for Down Force and Last Chance.

Does anyone have Maketoys Pandinus on preorder? I am on the fence and haven't seen any online reviews of the toy. Other than the pictures, has there been a production sample or early review of this figure?

I may have to punt this one until after it comes out and gets a review.

Chosen Prime did a preview of it:

and reviews on Utopia will probably give you a good idea what pandinus will be like.

BTW does anyone have an opinion on Utopia? It looks cool but it's kind of expensive compared to just getting titans metroplex.

Edited by anime52k8

And another thing, Does anyone know if the Titans Return Fort Max is going to use the same socket for the headmaster as the G1 toy? I was just thinking it would be really cool if it'll be possible to use Perfect Effect Warden as a head for Titans Return Fort Max.

Maybe I'm really weird, but I'm mostly interested in Utopia because it has a seemingly more cohesive ship mode than Titan Metroplex. I've never actually cared much about the city modes on metroplex and Fort Max, I prefer the idea of them being space battleships that turn into giant robots like in a certain other series we all presumably like. :rolleyes:

Spaceballs? Not sure on the headmaster socket on Fort Max yet, I don't recall seeing any pictures of it yet. It's safe to assume they probably wont use the same one but I wouldn't be surprised if someone makes an adapter for Warden.

BTW does anyone have an opinion on Utopia? It looks cool but it's kind of expensive compared to just getting titans metroplex.

It was kind of expensive compared to Metroplex. No one has him in stock anymore, though, and aftermarket prices look like they're usually around $300. Once you start getting up into that price range, from what I've seen, Utopia is a much more solid toy, although he's a bit shorter.

My daughter's still in that stage where she demands way too much attention, so I've been watching a ton of TF reviews, even for stuff I don't really want. So now I have thoughts...

First thought: there is or is going to be two Computrons, four Devastators, two Menasors, two Defensors, three Predakings, two(ish) Bruticus...es, and two Dinobot combiners (who never existed in fiction!). So why is the gods-awful Uranos still the only 3P Superion?

Second thought: thinking about canceling my preorders for Seraphicus Prominion and Bii and getting the existing Guardia limbs instead.

Third thought: Uranos and Ares were horrible. Prometheus has a terrible head.

Fourth thought: TFC looks like they're getting better, though. Minos and Hades look like they still have their share of TFC-ish issues, but they look like surprisingly sexy toys on the whole. I still want to wait to see how the whole Hades bot shakes out.

It was kind of expensive compared to Metroplex. No one has him in stock anymore, though, and aftermarket prices look like they're usually around $300. Once you start getting up into that price range, from what I've seen, Utopia is a much more solid toy, although he's a bit shorter.

My daughter's still in that stage where she demands way too much attention, so I've been watching a ton of TF reviews, even for stuff I don't really want. So now I have thoughts...

First thought: there is or is going to be two Computrons, four Devastators, two Menasors, two Defensors, three Predakings, two(ish) Bruticus...es, and two Dinobot combiners (who never existed in fiction!). So why is the gods-awful Uranos still the only 3P Superion?

Second thought: thinking about canceling my preorders for Seraphicus Prominion and Bii and getting the existing Guardia limbs instead.

Third thought: Uranos and Ares were horrible. Prometheus has a terrible head.

Fourth thought: TFC looks like they're getting better, though. Minos and Hades look like they still have their share of TFC-ish issues, but they look like surprisingly sexy toys on the whole. I still want to wait to see how the whole Hades bot shakes out.

Transforming jets are hard....

I wonder how Maketoys Darkwing and Dreadwind are gonna be. I hope they don't try to do a F-16 for Dreadwind.

Btw. am I the only one who gets the two mixed up? I always think they are Darkwind and Dreadwing. Maybe because the Darkwing term is hardwired in my brain to a talking duck. ^_^

Transforming jets are hard....

Yeah, but I'm willing to forgive a lot of the jet with a robot underneath, robot with a jet on his back. I mean, I really dig TFC's Minos.

Uranos isn't ALL bad. I think the limbs make ok jets, it's just TFC's version of Silverbolt that completely borked everything up in a big way.

But it's not just Silverbolt, at least, not for me. It's the fact that all five individual robots look so little like the characters they're supposed to be. For the limbs, it's easier to tell who's who when they're in jet mode.

Speaking of jet modes, I can actually forgive turning Silverbolt into a Blackbird instead of a Concord, but the combined robot needs to look like Superion without a $50 add-on kit.

Like I've been saying, my long-term goal is to have a quality 3P toy of every G1 combiner to replace the Combiner Wars toys I have. And while none have been perfect, and it seems the majority aren't on the same level as Feral Rex or Ordin, it seems like there is or will soon be one that's good enough for my requirements for everyone except Superion, where the Combiner Wars figure (especially with Perfect Effect feet and hands) is still the best one.

Speaking of Combiner Wars, or CHUGs in general, I'm thinking about selling some of mine. If there was a toy you wanted, lemme know. I might have it.