How should I do a cockpit display?

Jefuemon

So, I'm getting ready to build a 1/72 Hasegawa VF-1J. I'm going to be building it with the canopy open. So, if I want to be "real world" here, should I use the decal for the main display panel so that it looks like the Valk is powered up, or should I leave the screen black, making it look like it's powered down? Thanks for your input!

EDIT: I should mention that this will not be part of a diorama or display. I'm only going to have (hopefully-if my modification works out) a pilot figure standing next to it.

Edited by Jefuemon

Real world - no one leaves a multi-million dollar fighter on unattended. Cool world - stick a micro LED behind the panel and make it look awesome! - MT

The masses have spoken!

Well, at least five of you. :)

I'll go ahead and use the whole cockpit display decal, to give the "on" appearance. Thanks for your input!

A magnifying lamp (these are really a must have, even for general building), a size 20/0 paintbrush, steady hand, and a lot of patience.

Oh, and a PE set from Jasmine Models. This is the first time I've used a PE set, and I've been really happy with it. I myself just need to pay closer attention to the instructions.

Great work!

What color did you use? I can't have such an effect of... "dark, but not black", with black details... :ph34r:

Is it dark grey with a wash of black?

Great work!

What color did you use? I can't have such an effect of... "dark, but not black", with black details... :ph34r:

Is it dark grey with a wash of black?

I used the color recommended by the instructions, Mr. Color 317, Gray FS36231, then did a wash using Promodelers black. It looks a lot dirtier in the photos than in real life.

• 4 weeks later...