Macross Plus, movie edition?

i got a special dvd edition of macross plus which had both the OVA episodes and movie for £20, which is about $32. sounds like someone got ripped off o.o

Oi Oi ! I see there´s another englishmen here , I bought my set for 19 pounds at HMV. How would you rate the video qualityof your set ? just wondering if is just my PC that has a crapy video card.

Edited by Aegis!

I've always wondered about that. I suspect, since the OVA was direct to video, that it was made full screen and that the movie was tv format to make use of the existing footage.

This could be wrong but I don't see why Manga would take the effort to crop a widescreen show into a full screen show. They may be a bunch of screw ups, but they don't seem to make more work for themselves in the process.

I've always wondered about that. I suspect, since the OVA was direct to video, that it was made full screen and that the movie was tv format to make use of the existing footage.

This could be wrong but I don't see why Manga would take the effort to crop a widescreen show into a full screen show. They may be a bunch of screw ups, but they don't seem to make more work for themselves in the process.

Or it could be an open matte/full frame transfer.

They actually use 4:3 film to MAKE the movies, and then crop them to 16:9. And with home sales being so big, a lot of movies are made keeping both the central 16:9 stripe AND the full frame in mind.

It's likely that's what happened with Macross Plus. They drew the full frames while keeping the theaterical letterboxing in mind.

If it bothers you, just tape some black strips of paper along the top and bottom of your TV. :)

• 2 weeks later...