English Dubbed DYRL :(

Coyote187

I just got an English Dubbed copy of DYRL and I knew better but I wanted to see what it was like..... Wow, just wow! It was so bad!

First off: it sounded like it was done in the early 70's with the sound quality,

Second: I've seen it many times with sub titles and have it on 2 different DVD's with sub titles so I have a pretty good Idea on what the characters are saying, and let me tell you! Most of it was way off!

Third: the voice acting was so bad that I'm pretty sure that it was done nonstop no editing and the voice actors had not read the script yet, awkward pauses, bad improvisation and totally inappropriate emotions in some scenes, almost comical!

I was hopping that it was done like the Macross Series dubb, but not even close.......

There is one on youtube that was pretty good. Look in the Fan Works Forum section.

I know. In the version, Minmay was played by Cristina Vee. She is well-known among Otaku because she plays many famous characters like Harumi Suzumiya, Mio Akiyama, and Homura Akemi. I like her acting except her pronunciation of "Hikaru". IIjima-san says "hi-ka-ru" in SDF in English version, but Cristina says "hi-KA-ru". So American-like.

I don’t think the guy who did Roy in Robotech was that bad, Gave it sort of a calm cool feel that really fit the part, and Hikaru "rick" was okay I suppose, I just have a hard time with some of the rewriting of the script, thought it was very un necessary.

And I watched the english Dubb in the fan works and WOW that is awsome! I must have a copy!

Mad props to the Dark Heroes fan dub. Superior dub over ADV's ear rape version. I don't get the hate on HG/Intersound; their Robotech & Megazone 23 Part 2 dubs were way better than ADV's SDF Macross dub & their entire Megazone 23 line .

Edited by terry the lone wolf

While I'm hardly a fan of the ADV dub, I don't get the love for the Robotech dub either. Hammy, melodramatic, way too much exposition, and terrible terrible singing. The fact that the ADV dub used the original music & vocals automatically places it higher.

While I'm hardly a fan of the ADV dub, I don't get the love for the Robotech dub either. Hammy, melodramatic, way too much exposition, and terrible terrible singing. The fact that the ADV dub used the original music & vocals automatically places it higher.

I've been forcing myself to watch the ADV dub just so I can say I did (or say I took one for the team at least). I don't think it's better than the Robotech version, or dub, but at the same time, the Robotech dub was made for a different audience. I can watch that over the english dub of Macross t.v. series. I have to watch that in Japanese, it's just very bad.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Glad to know the dvd dub was the cotb version and not mine lol. Although that robotechpodcaster guy still has my old works and wont give it up.

I always wanted to dub the TV series properly....really I did. But there are so many schedule conflicts and casting issues, just not worth it.

Still need to make my clash of the bionoids comparison so I can get the haters to just shut up between my edition and the toei version.

I still have the UN-cut version of DYRL (Not Clash of the Bionoids which is only 90+ minutes) on VHS with the Hong Kong Dub, was the greatest thing in the world back in the day, good times!!

You must have had a sad life back then... (granted, could have been worse, could have been the CotB kind of sad life)

You must have had a sad life back then... (granted, could have been worse, could have been the CotB kind of sad life)

I had good memories of COTB to. COTB came at a time in my life I was fiending over any Robotech related product at that time. WBFF 45 just cancelled the show & I had a few RT comics, toys, & videos but nothing new. I just moved from Baltimore City to the county met up with a group of RT fans. They introduced met to the RT RPG and later COTB. I was like this is the best animated movie I ever saw and then I saw the un-cut DYRL in English. I was in anime heaven.

I had good memories of COTB to. COTB came at a time in my life I was fiending over any Robotech related product at that time. WBFF 45 just cancelled the show & I had a few RT comics, toys, & videos but nothing new. I just moved from Baltimore City to the county met up with a group of RT fans. They introduced met to the RT RPG and later COTB. I was like this is the best animated movie I ever saw and then I saw the un-cut DYRL in English. I was in anime heaven.

Have to go off track a little, Baltimore MD? The group you met up with wasn't just south of there, with at least one meeting down near Virginia Beach was it? We might have met...

Have to go off track a little, Baltimore MD? The group you met up with wasn't just south of there, with at least one meeting down near Virginia Beach was it? We might have met...

I haven't been to VA Beach but I've been through VA a few times. It seems back in the 80's the farther you go down south the more exposure people had to anime. Baltimore had it's fair share of shows but Washington D.C. aired much more anime & kung fu films.

I haven't been to VA Beach but I've been through VA a few times. It seems back in the 80's the farther you go down south the more exposure people had to anime. Baltimore had it's fair share of shows but Washington D.C. aired much more anime & kung fu films.

I don't know what was on the air, but the group between Baltimore and DC had an extensive videotape library. I remember going down to that group a couple of times and being impressed with everything but "iyura yacksura" (I butchered the spelling, the really popular comedy show from mid to late eighties). The group is where I first saw the original DYRL and I bought CotB hoping to get an English version, boy was that a let down...

I don't know what was on the air, but the group between Baltimore and DC had an extensive videotape library. I remember going down to that group a couple of times and being impressed with everything but "iyura yacksura" (I butchered the spelling, the really popular comedy show from mid to late eighties). The group is where I first saw the original DYRL and I bought CotB hoping to get an English version, boy was that a let down...

You couldn't possibly be trying to spell "Urusei Yatsura" could you?

Edited by Keith

I remember when I found Clash of the Bionoids at a video store and rented it. I raced home to watch it and was confused because the voices weren't the same as the ones on Robotech.

My Macross knowledge was pretty much zero back then ^_^

My story too. I still like it.