Bandai to reissue Macross Factory

CF18

I remember getting that set for my 15th birthday when it was being marketed under Revell's Robotech line. This was actually about six months before Robotech was shown on TV. Back then, I didn't even know that the set was actually from Macross. Sadly, all that remains from it is the Tomahawk destroid and the armored VF-1J.

So is it like the original Japanese release that DOESN'T come with the Tomahawk and Armored VF-1J, like the US/Germany Revell "Robotech" line did? I have the original, but haven't torn off the original shrink-wrap to see.

That kit was the "holy grail" kit to a buddy and myself. I first saw it at Kay-Bee Toy and Hobby at the Citadel Mall for $17.ooUS. It was sitting on the floor in front of the 20' long display of all of them. I wanted it, but only had money for "Vexar." Didn't get the factory. Saw it a while later in Denver's Cinderella City for $80.ooUS. Didn't get it then either. I finally picked up two of them in Greeley as part of an estate sale...$45.ooUS for mine, opened, and $90.ooUS for the sealed one that my buddy got. I've had two since...going to combine them.

Wonder what it'll do to the value of the old ones?

So is it like the original Japanese release that DOESN'T come with the Tomahawk and Armored VF-1J, like the US/Germany Revell "Robotech" line did? I have the original, but haven't torn off the original shrink-wrap to see.

That kit was the "holy grail" kit to a buddy and myself. I first saw it at Kay-Bee Toy and Hobby at the Citadel Mall for $17.ooUS. It was sitting on the floor in front of the 20' long display of all of them. I wanted it, but only had money for "Vexar." Didn't get the factory. Saw it a while later in Denver's Cinderella City for $80.ooUS. Didn't get it then either. I finally picked up two of them in Greeley as part of an estate sale...$45.ooUS for mine, opened, and $90.ooUS for the sealed one that my buddy got. I've had two since...going to combine them.

Wonder what it'll do to the value of the old ones?

I've seen them priced on evilbay from $70-$300 USD.

Those 1:100 Armored Battroids are quite difficult to find even on Y-auctions, that Great that they will be including it in the set. I've been wanting one of these since I was a kid so I'm looking forward to this reissue!

Leonardo

Btw the original box art painting was on Y-auctions a few months ago.

I'm sure it was covered here!

Leonardo

Well it is about time. I have been wanting one of these since the 1980s too. And now that I have learned how to make a model (Thanks entirely to Macrossworld and the awesome help and encouragement I have received here), I think i will be able to build it up decently. Just hope it is not too much money. Now I am going to have to get some of those WAVE macross kits to go into it.

Back in the 80's I walked into a shop with ALL sorts of stuff in it. I looked around and saw it WAaaay up on a shelf with dust all over it (even back then). I casually looked away as my heart pounded. I felt like Indiana Jones with the Holly Grail :ph34r: I looked to see if there was any other cool stuff, grabbed it, and bought it! I might get one of these for my son! - MT

• 2 weeks later...

For around $70, it is not too bad of a price. It comes with an armored battroid, tomahawk, lots of support vehicles and service crews. I want one but need to conserve $$ now for other items... :(

Since I'm not collecting all of the re-issue "Option Part" VF-1 releases, I figured, the heck with it, and ordered six of them. One will go to my buddy who lost his in a move, a couple to just sit on for collectability, and I'll use the others to make a 18"x30" Factory/Macross hanger diorama, since there's a box full of 1:100 destroids, Wave Valks and older models to add to it. LED light strips will be good for the ceiling, and make the floor lights work this time.

Question: Going by the awesome 1:48 scratch-built Glaug model being built bymslz22, and comparing it to the Hikaru valk, would a 1:72 Glaug be closer in scale, than the 1:100 kit, and would the 1:100 Kamjin figure, or the pilot from the Rau kit be closer to "correct" scale? I'd like to put a Glaug in it, surrounded by valks, while the crew gets the dead pilot out with cranes.

Wasabi-san - the every part of the factory is 1/100, including the vehicles, the people - everything. The 1/100 Glaug WILL fit itn it and it should even still come with chains for what you're wanting to do. - MT

sizechart-1.gif

Image from Mr.March's Mecha Manual.

Going off of this image, The armored Kamjin model is "1:100" and is almost as tall as the 1:100 valk, and looks too big to fit in the Glaug, but the pilot from the "1:144" Q-Rau is as tall as the valk's leg like in the pic above, and looks like it'll fit in the 1:100 Glaug. The "1:100" Glaug model is slightly taller than the Tomahawk provided in the factory, making it smaller than it should be. How much size difference is there between the 1:72 Glaug and the 1:100 kits? I have never seen (in person) the 1:72 scale Glaug kit for comparison. This is driving me nuts...

I think it would be a safe bet to say that if the 1:100 glaug is too small in relation to the tomahawk that the old plastic 1/72 kit is going to look as right as you can get to "real" 1:100. I got a handful of the bandai release of the 1/72 regult and to my eye they look like they would go good with 1/100 valks and destroids, in fact using them for a 1/100 dio was what i had in mind....which I will get to after i am done scratchbuilding everything in 1/48, so about 15 years from now:)

Unless you scratch a full new kit to get it exactly where you want it, using the 1/72nds as 1/100's may be the way to go.

mike

Thanks for posting the size comparison pic.

If only someone made the Glaug in HO/1:87 scale...haha. I don't even know if the 1:72 scale would fit, if the diorama's ceiling was at the top of the original factory wall. It might even be too wide to fit through the bay doors as well. Curse animation scaling! How rare are the 1:72 Glaug kits?

Kamjin, Milia and Exodol are leg height to a valk. "Breetai" is equal to a valk, as are his guards on the "flying turd" ship, hence the lavatory uniform exchange, and maybe the soldier in the VF-1D incident on Macross Island...right assumptions? Has this info been posted in another thread?

The picture above is about right on with official measurements. The Problem really are the Zentraedi. They are different sizes liek you said. But in reality, the pod and Glaug are tight fits for a pilot. Some of it is "anime magic" and the pictures don'e always match up to what they should be. It's an ongoing frustration for those of us that are scratch builders! - MT

I'm sure that there are scattered discussions about scale throughout the modeling section, but as it pertains to this MechTech hit it right on the nose, Kamjin would not fit into a glaug at the official size for a glaug, so the glaug needs to be bigger than the official #'s. Capt. America did that when he did his 1/72nd and I did that with the 1/48. If i have this right Kamjin would be about 9.75 inches tall at 1/48, even as big as i did the 1/48 it would be a tight fit to get a 9.75 inch figure into that pod.

All that being said, I personally approach the scale issue within macross fairly loosely, it allows for a bit of artistic freedom and imagination. Since i was a kid the zentrans have always been HUGE in my imagination, it may have been more the narrative about them rather than the animation. The bigger the enemy the more intimidating an enemy is, and the challenge is bigger for the hero.

If i was scratch-building a f-14 or a tank there would be little wiggle room for that type of freedom, both scale wise and in interpretation. I personally do not like that type of restriction within building, I have a tremendous respect for the people who do, it's just not for me, which is why i have gravitated to these subjects. It does not hurt that macross models were my introduction into model making when i was a kid.

So after my long winded response......my advice is to do what feels right to you, and most of all have fun doing it...

mike

OK. Just bought the 1:72 Glaug kit off Evilbay...Ouch! Expensive. I'm thinking of putting two factory sets face-to-face with a large bay door at the end of the diorama, to make it look like a hanger bay door on the Macross, that they could have pulled the Glaug in through. I appreciate the opinions and suggestions.