Macross World Podcast - feedback & comments

Tochiro

It's 2016, not 1996. No one medium has a monopoly on credible reviews.

I'll just put it out there that there is a positive review of the Voltron crossover on YouTube not affiliated with an entertainment website. Search it for yourself and weep. It's hard to take stuff like that seriously.

Edited by Einherjar

I'll just put it out there that there is a positive review of the Voltron crossover on YouTube not affiliated with an entertainment website. Search it for yourself and weep. It's hard to take stuff like that seriously.

Then don't. I don't judge all of YouTube based on one random Voltron review.

Nope, not at all. That's all the responses we got, in their unedited form.

Perhaps it is illustrative of this forum skewing towards a certain demographic and not being an accurate representation of fans of Macross and anime in general?

Just a thought.

Nah, easier to type in a forum than record your voice, encode it and upload it.... B))

Listened to the last two podcasts (36 & 37) on my commute to work. I really appreciate the time and energy you guys put into the podcast and while I personally would prefer a toy centric podcast I think it is informative and important to learn about other aspects of Macross as well.

I also think it would be hard to center a somewhat regular podcast around the sparse releases of Arcadia/Bandai/ET toys. ^_^

I especially enjoyed the talk about the movie treatment and it is always fascinating for how long Kawamori can hold on to his ideas. The WonFes talk was informative but like I said I would love a more in-depth discussion on the toys. Which is probably impossible if no one buys them. Maybe a small Save vs. VF-2SS feature in the future? ^_^

Two side notes I think Egon does a great job as a podcast host and someone should register the name Shoji Calamari as a board member. :p

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah, we do talk about toys from time to time, but not regularly and not in a review format, usually it's more of a behind-the-scenes report kind of thing. We've done reports on Yamato and Mr K., on how Arcadia decides their pricing, and Save went all-out on his piece on Evolution Toys a while back. I don't know why, but I feel rather unenthusiastic talking about a toy in front of a mic, for some reason. It's probably because personally I've already said everything I wanted to say about them: if you go back to some of those old SpeakerPODcast and Veef Show episodes where we talk about the Yamato showrooms and the history of the 1/55 and the Yamato retrospective, I think that's pretty much still rather definitive, and now the new toys are really just little footnotes to add to that. That is why a lot of times Tochiro would ask, "So, you got the VF-0D, how is it?", and I'd be like, "yeah, great, whatever", even though it is a really good piece! That is totally my issue and I don't want it to reflect badly on the toys (or the podcast!) so I tend not to even try. It might be a different story if we do actual toy reviews with a camera, but then there are already MWers who do a great job, plus there's CDX, so...

That said, we DID do an ENORMOUS podcast about a year ago pitting the Bandai VF-19ADVANCE versus the Arcadia YF-19, but that was never uploaded. Technical difficulties. Hopefully that will see the light of day at some point.

Anyway, toy releases and news have picked up recently what with HiMetal R and Delta, so I'm sure at some point we will have to talk about the VF-2SS, VF-4 and Regults and Glaugs and Monsters and all things nice, sugar and spice.

:)

I especially enjoyed the talk about the movie treatment and it is always fascinating for how long Kawamori can hold on to his ideas. The WonFes talk was informative but like I said I would love a more in-depth discussion on the toys. Which is probably impossible if no one buys them. Maybe a small Save vs. VF-2SS feature in the future? ^_^

I'd also put a in a plug for toy talks.

It's probably because personally I've already said everything I wanted to say about them: if you go back to some of those old SpeakerPODcast and Veef Show episodes where we talk about the Yamato showrooms and the history of the 1/55 and the Yamato retrospective, I think that's pretty much still rather definitive, and now the new toys are really just little footnotes to add to that.

Just listened to Veef's episode 38. Not bad.

The amount of history alone in that is awesome and where I think it get's really interesting is in way it crosses over into the HG rights issues.

Somewhere in between the two there is a full-length documentary I'd watch over and over again.

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah, we do talk about toys from time to time, but not regularly and not in a review format, usually it's more of a behind-the-scenes report kind of thing. We've done reports on Yamato and Mr K., on how Arcadia decides their pricing, and Save went all-out on his piece on Evolution Toys a while back. I don't know why, but I feel rather unenthusiastic talking about a toy in front of a mic, for some reason. It's probably because personally I've already said everything I wanted to say about them: if you go back to some of those old SpeakerPODcast and Veef Show episodes where we talk about the Yamato showrooms and the history of the 1/55 and the Yamato retrospective, I think that's pretty much still rather definitive, and now the new toys are really just little footnotes to add to that. That is why a lot of times Tochiro would ask, "So, you got the VF-0D, how is it?", and I'd be like, "yeah, great, whatever", even though it is a really good piece! That is totally my issue and I don't want it to reflect badly on the toys (or the podcast!) so I tend not to even try. It might be a different story if we do actual toy reviews with a camera, but then there are already MWers who do a great job, plus there's CDX, so...

That said, we DID do an ENORMOUS podcast about a year ago pitting the Bandai VF-19ADVANCE versus the Arcadia YF-19, but that was never uploaded. Technical difficulties. Hopefully that will see the light of day at some point.

Anyway, toy releases and news have picked up recently what with HiMetal R and Delta, so I'm sure at some point we will have to talk about the VF-2SS, VF-4 and Regults and Glaugs and Monsters and all things nice, sugar and spice.

:)

As I said it is not really a problem. A podcast where guys ramble for 5 hours about the missing tampo printings on the VF-0 would probably be no fun listening to for other people than me. :)

I really enjoyed the podcasts about Arcadias pricing strukture, the history of Yamato toys and the Chunky Monkey.

Edited by Scyla

• 3 weeks later...

Chattin' 'bout Da KAZ-TAK!!

http://www.macrossworld.com/speakerpodcast-ep-39-sdf-1-macross-designer-kazutaka-miyatake-on-a-boat/

This episode we talk about the Kazutaka Miyatake exhibition on the Mikasa memorial battleship and it gives us a chance to do a retrospective of thoughts on his decades-spanning career. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Chattin' 'bout Da KAZ-TAK!!

http://www.macrossworld.com/speakerpodcast-ep-39-sdf-1-macross-designer-kazutaka-miyatake-on-a-boat/

This episode we talk about the Kazutaka Miyatake exhibition on the Mikasa memorial battleship and it gives us a chance to do a retrospective of thoughts on his decades-spanning career. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Thanks for the post Renato. It sounds like you guys had a very interesting time. Miyatake sounds like a really um...deep person.

I bet the Mikasa is a beautiful ship in person, too. I've always loved Pre-Dreadnaught warship designs.

Also, Mega Man 7 sucks compared to X. Mega Man runs like he has pudding in his boots in that one.

Edited by Falconkpd

Any podcasts incoming abt the delta episode 1 and 2 screenings? .... :rolleyes:

The screening was last night, give Tochiro a bit more time! :)

Also, Mega Man 7 sucks compared to X. Mega Man runs like he has pudding in his boots in that one.

I have Irregular Hunter X and I'm just not enjoying it. MM7 is quite a bit of fun, though!

I think it's just a case that since this was a private viewing, all information can only be divulged after the normal broadcast on April.

As for Tochiro? Self exile?

No, this was not a private viewing, it was a private event. As for Tochiro, you think an attention whore like him is going to sudde3nly self-exile?? :p

The hell?! WHY was he banned?

To be clear Tochiro was not banned. He was put on an immediate one-month suspension, without even a warning. There is a podcast coming about the screening and it will be on the front page when it's ready.

I hope he makes a return soon. Seems foolish of them to ban one of the few people bringing news here. #savetochiro

I love how that hashtag is made of two Podcasters' names combined. Shipping war!!! :D

EDIT -- And it's so much sweeter that Tochiro can't come in here to tell me to shut up... So, so, sweet. ;)

Edited by Renato

No, this was not a private viewing, it was a private event. As for Tochiro, you think an attention whore like him is going to sudde3nly self-exile?? :p

Bwahaha , you guys crack me up!

Well, while it might not merit an actual ban, I for one, welcome our anti-spoiler overlording.

Edit: Just saw what the suspension was about, didn't have to do with Delta Ep. 2, which is what I had initially assumed. :unsure:

Edited by Mazinger

Without the MSP, this site is pretty dull and lifeless. Not to say that everyone here makes it like that, but the MSP gives this place life that was lacking in it for awhile before it started. I don't agree with the suspension with no warning policy, but at least for now, he's still semi-here keeping the news and interest going. Well, all MSP members do a great job with that.

Just listened, and I'm excited for the upcoming news placed in the podcast. Ep. 2 seems like a good fast filler to dive right into plot. The end of Ep.1 doesn't seem too far from anything that isn't shown in other anime, so if anyone has a cow over it, we might have to prepare some oldtaku headbands??? I kid, I kid. Great episode.

• Shawn unpinned this topic