Macross World Podcast - feedback & comments

Tochiro

Listening now! :)

Edit: Can we send audio clips of ourselfs saying "Delta!" for the next SpeakerPodcast? :lol:

We always welcome submissions from fellow Macross fans :-)

31b was wonderful-my favorite episode of any podcast ever! Did you ever go into further detail about Kawamori commenting on how you won passes to all three events? I don't think I caught it but it was mentioned early on. I'm sure I'll find it on the meany repeat listenings I am going to do over the next few days.

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure whether I did.

Basically, by the time we got to the signing session on Day 2, Kawamori recognised me from the night before and was like 'wait...you again?' ^^;

Alrighty everyone, with DELTA due to it in just two weeks time, I have an idea I'd like to bounce off y'all.

The SpeakerPODcast Crew have tics to the theatrical prescreening of Delta on 12/26. We will be recording impressions immediately after, aiming to have a cast posted within 24hrs. In other words, 4 days before the tv special on 12/31.

Now, once the special has aired, everyone will be talking about it so I'd like to do a second cast on it without repeating ourselves.

That's where everyone here comes in.

Once people have seen the first episode (I'm sure there will be 'methods' and those 'fansub' thingies I hear rumours of but that would never ever be linked to here on the forums in any way ^^; ) I'd like anyone interested to record a short piece on their impressions/thoughts/speculations and send it to me.

I will then stitch these together into a cast.

Interested? Heres the details.

Deadline: January 10, 2016

Format: MP3. If you use Audacity to record, please don't forget to convert it to MP3 before sending.

Length: 5 - 7 mins.

Addy: Google drive it to us at speakerpod@gmail.com

Please include your forum handle in your opening so we know who is talking.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'm all (Zolan) ears!

Thanks, was hoping you guys would cover it. Wasn't sure since there'd been so many other episodes put up lately. Nice summary.

Funny to hear about Mikimoto's memory or lack there of.

Newer events and Delta news just kept on coming so it kept getting pushed back. With the end of the year (and the Delta preview) rapidly approaching, I'm currently trying to get through to backlog of episodes I have to be edited f^_^;)

You've got the touch! You've got the power!

Great podcast! Listening to the opinions makes me wonder if when all is said and done with Delta, if Macross 7 will be seen in a more favorable light. <crossing fingers that Basara will make an appearance even though I know he won't >

Pretty Cure? I just don't get it.

Was Frontier big with girls in Japan?

All I hear at Macross events is that its all boys attending.

Tell me just one thing you didn't cover, have they hopefully toned down the hyper echiness of Sheryl and Aquarion?

Edited by arbit

Tell me just one thing you didn't cover, have they hopefully toned down the hyper echiness of Sheryl and Aquarion?

All boys attending? I don't know who you are hearing from but that's as far from the truth as you can get.

The largest segment of Frontier fans are female. This is why there's Frontier Perfume, jewelry and fashion lines.

It's been this way for at least 5 years now.

Guys thank you very much for such a quick podcast after seeing the show. Appreciate your hard work.

I'm a bit surprised about what you've revealed for us, but trying to keep an open mind about things. I get the feeling we're gonna get a lot of angry posters around here though :D Boomerangs, LOL.

What feeling did you get from the japanese fans around you? Do you think this could be a hit?

Edited by Marzan

This comment is a bit baffling. I need not say any more about this.

Thanks for putting up the podcast. I'm excited to see it.I still walk into these not expecting what I saw prior. Macross as a franchise has always had a way of diversifying the plot, the characters, and many other technical aspects of it that keep it different.

Guys thank you very much for such a quick podcast after seeing the show. Appreciate your hard work.

I'm a bit surprised about what you've revealed for us, but trying to keep an open mind about things. I get the feeling we're gonna get a lot of angry posters around here though :D Boomerangs, LOL.

What feeling did you get from the japanese fans around you? Do you think this could be a hit?

The fans I spoke with were fairly happy with what they saw. Having said that, it WAS a fanclub screening so most ppl will be onboard with it regardless.

I also spoke to maybe a dozen fans a week before the screening. When asked what they were most looking forward to, the most common answers were music and idols. (Most of the fans I spoke with were female).

Um... I'm not sure what you have been doing all this time, but if there is anything we have said over and over again in like 5 years of doing this podcast is that Frontier was big with girls. If all you hear at Macross events is that it's all boys attending, that is completely wrong. It is nothing of the sort. Back in 2008/2009, Animage magazine polls showed that the top rated shows and characters by boys were K-On and Lucky Star, etc, which mostly feature moe girls, while for girls it was Gundam 00 and Macross Frontier. It's not just in Japan, either, I understand that the more prolific Frontier bloggers in English were also female. They like the boys because they are handsome and cool (Michel), pretty (Alto), cute (Luca) and the girls because they are cute and flaky (Ranka) and sexy and confident (Sheryl).

We even interviewed female Japanese Frontier fans in the podcast ages ago, to get their perspective. They specifically mentioned they didn't really care so much for the mecha, as they saw it just as part of world-building.

The people interested in the mecha only are a small minority of mecha otaku. Does this explain why the producers are not going for a gritty realistic war show?

Maybe Andy Williams can explain it better:

Edited by Renato

Um... I'm not sure what you have been doing all this time, but if there is anything we have said over and over again in like 5 years of doing this podcast is that Frontier was big with girls. If all you hear at Macross events is that it's all boys attending, that is completely wrong. It is nothing of the sort. Back in 2008/2009, Animage magazine polls showed that the top rated shows and characters by boys were K-On and Lucky Star, etc, which mostly feature moe girls, while for girls it was Gundam 00 and Macross Frontier. It's not just in Japan, either, I understand that the more prolific Frontier bloggers in English were also female. They like the boys because they are handsome and cool (Michel), pretty (Alto), cute (Luca) and the girls because they are cute and flaky (Ranka) and sexy and confident (Sheryl).

I followed bloggers like Crusader, Kurogane, ghostlightning and the Random Curiosity people back in the day. They made Frontier sound like it was both a heavy hitter and a legitimate mecha show for guys.

I followed bloggers like Crusader, Kurogane, ghostlightning and the Random Curiosity people back in the day. They made Frontier sound like it was both a heavy hitter and a legitimate mecha show for guys.

"legitimate mecha show for guys"

I shudder to think what that's supposed to be.

I don't know what y'all are talking about. When I met girls, I'd say (sheepishly), "Well, I like Macross..." and they'd say, to my surprise, "ME TOO! Sheryl or Ranka?"

I'd say, "I like Sheryl," which would earn me a scowl. The girl would say, "Oh... I like Ranka," and that would be that.

Edited by Gubaba

It's a legitimate mecha show for mechaheads, a legitimate moe show for moe fans, and a legitimate bishounen show for women. A heavy hitter that knocks them out of the park. Overall, though, I'd say it's mostly women that really reacted to it and made it the breakout hit that it became.

I remember being in line to enter the SDF Macross Launch Ceremony in 2009 and everyone in front of me were middle-aged ladies, who had come from afar like Hokkaido and Okinawa. They were discussing their favourite boys from Frontier. "Brera is so cool!!" etc.

>Implying shows are made specifically for a demographic that isn't going to make as much money

The way I see it is if you can put out a show that appeals to both sexes, then you'll have a larger viewer base. The added bonus of this is that you'll have young adult women cosplaying your product which is like a free endorsement. That is when you have truly won.

Renato, on 28 Dec 2015 - 04:02, said:snapback.png

Renato, Thanks for the detailed response. You hit the nail right on the head.

I think you got the heart of my question, its not about whether or not girls watch Frontier; anyone with sense can see that Frontier is aimed to bring in the female audience.

The issue is its level of extreme success gaining female fans, which would then lead to the creative team to go in this new direction.

You could say that Frontier was already sufficiently targeted for the female audience with bishounen characters, etc, but only a breakout hit with girls would lead to the mahou shoujo elements in Delta.

Sailor Moon wins in the end, and there will be a million questions about why Macross has gone in this direction.

Great Podcast. Keep it up.

Edited by arbit

• Shawn unpinned this topic