Macross World Podcast - feedback & comments

Tochiro

Arbit - it might interest you that in the other half hour of the Delta ep.1 special that most people on the boards haven't watched (the interviews, history of the franchise, making-of, etc), Frontier was introduced by narrator Sho (max) Hayami as a show that brought in a mass of new female fans.
So it's pretty much common knowledge (in Japan at least) as to whose wallets (purses) drove that particular show.

The existence of Frontier branded shoes, perfume, jewellery and fashion is also very telling.
(There was a new ladies frontier Sheryl-branded hat released just recently that a woman I saw at the Delta premiere was proudly showing off ;-)

Anyways - ATTENTION EVERYONE!
Now that Ep.1 of Delta is out, I urge anyone who is interested to send us an audio recording of your impressions!
Please try to keep it to 5-10 mins at max, in MP3 format.
Please send all impressions to Speakerpod(AT)gmail.com

I think we need some insights about the state of idol groups and mahou shoujo shows in the Japanese mainstream, to understand Delta's pop environment and demographics better.

It seems to me that the simple mahou shoujo wave is long gone, with shows like Madoka Magica deconstructing the magic girl genre. Its not clear to me what the target market is for Delta, because the echii transformation scene seems aimed at otaku fanboys, not young girls. While the musical performances are clearly aimed for younger girls.

As for idol group phenomena, Miku and AKB48 seem to be still going strong with non-stop merchandise.

AKB48's Loving Fortune Cookie and Flying Get have 88 million and 44 million views respectively on Youtube.

So what is "cool in Japan" right now? What is not cool? Where can we expect Delta to go, and not go?

I think we need some insights about the state of idol groups and mahou shoujo shows in the Japanese mainstream, to understand Delta's pop environment and demographics better.

It seems to me that the simple mahou shoujo wave is long gone, with shows like Madoka Magica deconstructing the magic girl genre. Its not clear to me what the target market is for Delta, because the echii transformation scene seems aimed at otaku fanboys, not young girls. While the musical performances are clearly aimed for younger girls.

As for idol group phenomena, Miku and AKB48 seem to be still going strong with non-stop merchandise.

AKB48's Loving Fortune Cookie and Flying Get have 88 million and 44 million views respectively on Youtube.

So what is "cool in Japan" right now? What is not cool? Where can we expect Delta to go, and not go?

I said "young women." Roy Focker took that to mean "little girls."

What are you on about?

Great podcast again! I'm all aboard the Makina train!

Brushing up on AKB0048 to prepare myself for this Spring.

Hopefully you'll like it and Delta or else I'm gonna tell you "you gotta watch episode 8! next season".

I think the idol scene is still going strong with shows like Idolmaster, Lovelive, Aikatsu! and Wake up Girls!

Great podcast again! I'm all aboard the Makina train!

Hopefully you'll like it and Delta or else I'm gonna tell you "you gotta watch episode 8! next season".

I think the idol scene is still going strong with shows like Idolmaster, Lovelive, Aikatsu! and Wake up Girls!

Too early to judge.

People are freaking out on both sides, for and against.

"Its a magical girl show; No, you must be an idiot its not a magical girl show."

I think this is going to go on for ever.

People need to appreciate opposing opinions without flaming.

Too early to judge.

People are freaking out on both sides, for and against.

"Its a magical girl show; No, you must be an idiot its not a magical girl show."

I think this is going to go on for ever.

People need to appreciate opposing opinions without flaming.

I thought we were pretty balanced on the podcast... Do you disagree?

I like the podcast in general. You guys know your stuff.

This podcast was one-sided review, however, because you all liked the preview.

I think it would be hilarious if your next podcast is only a group of those who hated it.... old-school destroid guys.

That would be funny... and probably very quotable.

Personally I rather enjoy hearing different opinions, I might see it from the other perspective, and think, "Yeah, they're right, I did not like it, but I see where they are coming from."

Edited by arbit

I think most of us made it clear that there are things we can nitpick about it, but at the same time, being only one episode, and in going by Kawamori's own quotes, he does seem to suggest that the show IS going to go in different moods and tone of the story, so I wouldn't reserve one preview episode to this being all. Also, I believe Gubaba pointed out an interesting idea that I seem to agree with, which is the idea that the short segment that everyone judges this as being a magical girl show may just be a nod, and probably is. I doubt that we'll see that sequence again, and most likely, being a preview episode with so many characters, this isn't going to be a common feel. I didn't have a problem with it, simply because I'm not going to judge a show on a brief sequence of animation. Even if it is going to be a common thread, it'll be up to the creators to recognize if it's a success or failure in going that route. It wouldn't be the first thing from Macross I disliked, but there are quite a good number of great things to take away from this.

I like the podcast in general. You guys know your stuff.

This podcast was one-sided review, however, because you all liked the preview.

I think it would be hilarious if your next podcast is only a group of those who hated it.... old-school destroid guys.

That would be funny... and probably very quotable.

Personally I rather enjoy hearing different opinions, I might see it from the other perspective, and think, "Yeah, they're right, I did not like it, but I see where they are coming from.

Personally, I think there's plenty of negativity going around about this show as it is. It's good to hear people being positive every now and then, IMO.

Personally, I think there's plenty of negativity going around about this show as it is. It's good to hear people being positive every now and then, IMO.

Agreed. There seems to be a lot of overly vocal Debbie downers, and some of it is warranted. I think between us four, we all did a good job at balancing it out.

Alright guys, its been almost 3 weeks since the Delta special aired. It seems like everyone has a lot of opinions so now it's time to RECORD THEM!

Yes, i'm currently putting together that previously mentioned compilation podcast of fans reactions to Delta.

The SpeakerPODcast Crew have had their say, so now it's YOUR turn!

So far we have 3 submissions but need MORE!

Think you can talk for 5 - 10 mins about Delta? Well, send us an audio recording!

Please send your mp3's to speakerpod@gmail.com.
If you are having any problems, drop us a line in the podcast thread or else PM me.

Deadline for submissions is next Monday - January 26!

Looking forward to hearing everyones impressions!

I've listened to the recording of the US Rendition panel at Macross World Con. While I firmly believe that the dub for Macross 2 is making the OVA look worse than it is I have not a lot more appreciation for the work they have done now. Seeing under what circumstances they had to pump out the dubs was quite an insight.

Great job guys, keep them podcasts coming.

Edited by Scyla

I didn't think I would be interested in the Orgus Panel, but it was very informative and great for history.

I guess we can pretty much consider those old dubs as "fan dubs".

As entertainment, Macross II only works subbed for me.

Here's my old review. I was harsh on dubs in the old days, and much mellower now.

Edited by arbit

UN Spacy

Haha, I'm sorry, but it will still be a little while before we get around to the Miyatake exhibition. We have been trying to schedule a podcast about that for over a month now but our schedules just don't match up... It's supposed to be the next one we record, though!!

• 2 weeks later...

Great discussion, great scoopuda!

Any chance that someone could upload the script somewhere accessible by all?

EDIT: Nevermind, got to the end of the podcast, have confidence that at some point a link will materialize.

Edited by Mazinger

Does anyone know of any Hollywood fantasy or sci-if anti-war films that were made around the time of this treatment that could be similar? Maybe that's a better comparison than Independance Day or Starship Troopers at least in tone? I don't know what I'm saying after hearing about dirtbag Hikaru.

Edited by Einherjar

• Shawn unpinned this topic