Macross World Podcast - feedback & comments

Tochiro

I should have been more clear. I was talking about working. From what I understand there aren't a ton of opportunities in Japan for foreigners.

If your Japanese language skill isn't up to snuff, then yes, your opportunities are limited. But if that's the case, being a waiter at a restaurant that serves predominately Japanese customers probably isn't the best career plan.

If your Japanese IS business-level, then you'll have plenty of opportunities.

If your Japanese language skill isn't up to snuff, then yes, your opportunities are limited. But if that's the case, being a waiter at a restaurant that serves predominately Japanese customers probably isn't the best career plan.

If your Japanese IS business-level, then you'll have plenty of opportunities.

Well, I wouldn't try to live in a country where I can't communicate effectively. As of right now, my Japanese language skills are so poor a 3 year old is more conversational than I. I am trying to remedy that. I guess I overestimated how much the Japanese try to exclude foreigners (or maybe it's location dependent). Anyway, It would be really cool to own a Nerdist pub anywhere.

We have two more episodes in the can to be posted soon if it's content you are after, but we don't do live streams. For starters, I prefer to be able to guarantee a certain amount of quality for episodes and secondly, live streams lend themselves much better to videocasts than audio ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Um, this is all well and good, but we did do an "all-American episode" last year for MWCon 2014, didn't we (and we even had Hidetaka Tenjin as guest!!)? So this is technically the second 'Muricast, as I see it. B))

Ah hah! Now we know your last name.

..let the stalking begin
;)

I'm enjoying my first listen to the podcast. Great to put voices to the names! Also, some great work on the content.

When is this thing coming down under?

Thanks! Please do go back and listen to the others, too! Taste the rainbow!

By the way, Tochiro did do a whole episode in Sydney back in February or so, featuring MW's very own ScreamMan as guest.

Edited by Renato

Um, this is all well and good, but we did do an "all-American episode" last year for MWCon 2014, didn't we (and we even had Hidetaka Tenjin as guest!!)? So this is technically the second 'Muricast, as I see it. B))

Thanks! Please do go back and listen to the others, too! Taste the rainbow!

By the way, Tochiro did do a whole episode in Sydney back in February or so, featuring MW's very own ScreamMan as guest.

I did know this, actually. I need to go back and listen to that one. We'll have to do Melbourne next time.

I kept hearing my cat throughout the entire podcast. Man he just likes to be a mic hog. And yes, there were some rough parts, but it's because we were walking around all day, and then had to organize our battered and tired bodies to do this. It turned out alright. I'm proud of it. Hope you all are entertained. I did laugh quite a few times through it (while at work) and got some strange looks. Thanks Gwynn for the editing, which I don't remember how much was done, but it came out quite good.

BTW, here's the book by Thomas Romain. He signed mine and drew a nice pic on the inside of the Bentenmaru from Bodacious Space Pirates. Highly recommended book.

post-582-0-38654300-1441164009_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-94365800-1441164034_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonc

Nice edit at the end Tochiro. :lol:

Thanks! (^_−)

Tonight - a bunch of Macross fans and musicians are holding a Macross tribute concert in Tokyo. Macross, DYRL, Macross 2, Macross 7 and Macross Frontier music is all represente. And the Frontier guitarist it's absolutely rockin' it up!

Of course, the SpeakerPODcast Crew is right in the thick of it all! Full report in a future podcast (^_^)

post-9325-0-58715100-1441471526_thumb.jpgpost-9325-0-20741800-1441471551_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after that podcast discussion on the topic, last weekend I confirmed with Kawamori himself that pre- Macross Plus Valkyries did indeed have passive stealth. The tech had been around since pre-Space War 1 (as is a plot point in Macross the First), however didn't make into the VF-1 due to time limitations. It was, however, in later valks until active stealth became the hot new tech in 2040 around the time of Macross Plus.

Kyle​ and Jason​, I hope you guys are happy now!

The things I do....grumble grumble ...

;-)

Edited by Tochiro

Great podcast guys. Enjoying every episode.

One question for the modeling episode.

I didn't hear mention of Yamato's scale valk models.

I bought a model of a VF-1J TV Max version around 1990 that I could swear 99.9% was manufactured by Yamato and had their logo.

I got it in a large comic store in New Yok I believe on Broadway near Columbia University.

Anyone know anything about this model?

I don't have it anymore because when I realized it was a parts swapper, I destroyed it from youthful fan rage.

However, I clearly recall that when Yamato released the V1, I noticed that it was basically the exact same scale and transformation design concept as the model I had almost 10 years prior, and made by the same company, i.e. The legs pegged on to the nose cone, so I never went for it until the V2 came out.

I have always wondered about this model. I am definitely sure that this was Yamato, however, there is always a chance of being mistaken.

Edited by arbit

That wasn't a model, it was a toy. It was 1/60 scale. And it wasn't 1990, it was around 2001 (Yamato didn't exist in 1990). Those were marketed as 3-step transformation 1/60 scale VF-1 valks. You needed to parts-swap the heatshield and remove the legs to transform.

A couple of years later, they released the 1/48 VF-1 series, with all of that integrated.

From 2007 or 2008, they released a totally new VF-1 mold in 1/60. It transformed pretty much the same as the 1/48, with all the integrated features. The official product name this time was "Complete Transformation 1/60 VF-1 Valkyrie", often translated as "Perfect Transformation". Arcadia has been re-releasing these recently.

I hope this helps. You should ask in the Newbie Toy Thread in the Toy forum for more info.

Hi Renato,

Thanks. I'm aware of all that history from 2001 onwards.

But what I'm talking about is something I bought around 1990, long before 2001.

Could Yamato have been a design or garage kit or distribution group before? Need to look further into Yamato's history. I understand there were other related groups that became Yamato afterwards (Toycom?).

I used to be certain that my kit was by Yamato, now with all the data available on the net, I am not 100% sure.

As I said, I was well aware of Yamato or its related companies long before they released the v1 in 2001, which is why I did not go for it having already had experience with their stuff. As soon as I saw the name Yamato in 2001, I remember thinking "no thanks, no parts swapper for me. Been there done that".

On the other hand, this model I had was probably a Bandai or Imai model, with a sticker from Yamato's antecedent companies that were distributing toys in the USA at that time. Which is why I mentally linked it to the same group. It was easy in those days to confuse distributors such as Toycom with manufacturers.

Edited by arbit

Enjoying your reviews of live shows and fan gatherings.

Since I'm up to date on all your recent podcasts, I've finally gone back to listen to the earlier episodes I missed.

I love how episode 5 starts with an immediate apology!!!!! Great stuff.

Renato, I have to agree with you that Frontier would be better if it was targeted to my grandmother :)

You guys talk a lot about 7 and its positives and negatives. Here is my wish: someone should go back and add all the great music that was released after the series, in order to remove some of the repetitive songs from the show. There was amazing stuff released after that could help the pacing. I think I would re-watch that version. I can't stand hearing the same song pounded into my brain over and over.

Hi Renato,

Thanks. I'm aware of all that history from 2001 onwards.

But what I'm talking about is something I bought around 1990, long before 2001.

Could Yamato have been a design or garage kit or distribution group before? Need to look further into Yamato's history. I understand there were other related groups that became Yamato afterwards (Toycom?).

I used to be certain that my kit was by Yamato, now with all the data available on the net, I am not 100% sure.

As I said, I was well aware of Yamato or its related companies long before they released the v1 in 2001, which is why I did not go for it having already had experience with their stuff. As soon as I saw the name Yamato in 2001, I remember thinking "no thanks, no parts swapper for me. Been there done that".

On the other hand, this model I had was probably a Bandai or Imai model, with a sticker from Yamato's antecedent companies that were distributing toys in the USA at that time. Which is why I mentally linked it to the same group. It was easy in those days to confuse distributors such as Toycom with manufacturers.

VF5SS and I podcasted on the history of Yamato a couple of years back (not really part of the SpeakerPODcast canon, though, this is The Veef Show on CDX). It might help?

http://www.macrossworld.com/podcast-retrospective-on-yamato-macross-toys/

Enjoying your reviews of live shows and fan gatherings.

Since I'm up to date on all your recent podcasts, I've finally gone back to listen to the earlier episodes I missed.

I love how episode 5 starts with an immediate apology!!!!! Great stuff.

Renato, I have to agree with you that Frontier would be better if it was targeted to my grandmother :)

You guys talk a lot about 7 and its positives and negatives. Here is my wish: someone should go back and add all the great music that was released after the series, in order to remove some of the repetitive songs from the show. There was amazing stuff released after that could help the pacing. I think I would re-watch that version. I can't stand hearing the same song pounded into my brain over and over.

Hmm. I know what you mean, but I don't think that would work... They actually lip-synched the animation to the songs they used, so replacing them would be very difficult... At least if you wanted to do it to a convincing degree.

The link to the Episode 8 Part 1 podcast on the main page is broken. The link to the Episode 9 Part 1 audio file is also broken. Hope you guys can have it fixed soon.

Will look into it. Thanks for the heads up!

I'll look into getting those links fixed, but in the meantime, this link should get you to ep 1 part 1:

http://www.macrossworld.com/4600/4600/

For ep.9 part 1, the file is downloadable still if your use the right click and save option.

Hope to have better fixes soon!

Edited by Tochiro

VF5SS and I podcasted on the history of Yamato a couple of years back (not really part of the SpeakerPODcast canon, though, this is The Veef Show on CDX). It might help?

http://www.macrossworld.com/podcast-retrospective-on-yamato-macross-toys/

Oh yes, that was a great podcast. I think I heard it 2 or 3 years ago.

I love the part about the broken valkyrie you unknowingly bought, and the guy gave you some diagrams for how to fix it!!!

That's truth in marketing for you....

I have to show some support to the Macross II fans on this podcast.

My experience with it was that I first saw a couple episodes English Dubbed, and I absolutely hated it.

Then later I finally got it subbed on DVD, and I've enjoyed it ever since.

Lots of Zentran love in the last few eps of that series.

I have to show some support to the Macross II fans on this podcast.

My experience with it was that I first saw a couple episodes English Dubbed, and I absolutely hated it.

Then later I finally got it subbed on DVD, and I've enjoyed it ever since.

Lots of Zentran love in the last few eps of that series.

SAAAVE! it's Arbit on da phone!

Will look into it. Thanks for the heads up!

I'll look into getting those links fixed, but in the meantime, this link should get you to ep 1 part 1:

http://www.macrossworld.com/4600/4600/

For ep.9 part 1, the file is downloadable still if your use the right click and save option.

Hope to have better fixes soon!

Great. I'm already done listening to Episode 8. Thanks for the quick fix.