Macross World Podcast - feedback & comments

Tochiro

On 10/29/2018 at 4:37 PM, Tochiro said:

We also have a few text interviews coming up over the next few weeks. 

Heres the first one if anyone’s interested. 

http://www.decultureshock.com/an-interview-with-mari-iijima-sdc-2018/

I really appreciate that you guys have started to include more text stuff. Thanks. As much as podcasts are the standard for presenting content, sometimes it's nice to be able to read something like this.

• 1 month later...

Here's our huge end of year wrap-up.

Theres too much to list here (theres timestamps on the site) but we meet the scenario writer of SDFM, unearth unpublished lineart of the VF-0, see Kazutaka Miyatake's latest masterpiece of design, get a shoutout from Minori Suzuki, and bump into Shoji Kawamori and Haruhiko Mikimoto at the orchestra... and more! :-)
http://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-119-a-series-of-nooks/

MSP119_01.jpg

Edited by Tochiro

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 7:48 AM, Tochiro said:

I generally try to avoid pontificating, but I think there's a valuable lesson to be learned here. I happened to witness this "guerilla interview" at Otakon and hopefully other peope in the future can avoid doing this type of thing.

I was waiting to catch an elevator when I saw this group follow Kawamori as he left his panel. When Kawamori got in the elevator with me, the group followed him in, effectively trapping him inside while peppering him with questions. Judging by Kawamori's body language, this was making him very uncomfortable, but the group either didn't notice or didn't care. After Kawamori got off on his floor, the group followed him out, still asking him with questions. While it's possible that Kawamori may have agreed to do an improptu interview, it was probably made out of politeness, not because he wanted one. Otakon had a page where people could sign up to schedule an interview with Kawamori; this was avoidable and in bad taste. When Kawamori walked inside that small elevator, that should've been their cue to end the interview.

On top of this, during Kawamori's second panel presentation, he specifically asked the audience not to take any pictures of him nor the slides that he was showing. But the guy in the right hand side of that group photo (wearing the black shirt with the poster tube sling over his shoulder), proceeded to take pictures of every single slide that Kawamori showed. There was even a large sign on Kawamori's table that told the audience not to take any pictures. While some of the pictures that Kawamori showed were common pictures that can be found in any artbook, some of them were private pictures on him on vacation and his hometown. I think it's safe to say that Kawamori didn't want his personal photos being permanently stored on a stranger's hard drive. Since this person was sitting near the front, Kawamori's personal interpreter noticed him taking photos on multiple occassions, but probably wanted to avoid a scene by alerting the Otakon staff. In any case, she probably told Kawamori what happened afterwards.

This is important because it's difficult for East Coast conventions to convince Japanese artists to make the long trip from Japan to the East Coast. While Washington, DC and New York are tourist sites, they just can't compete with the appeal of Los Angeles and Hollywood. When Japanese guests agree to make the 12+ hour trip from Japan to the East Coast, they usually arrive the day before the con (due to their busy schedule back home), which doesn't leave them with any time to recover from the jetlag. When they get to the convention, their days are packed with panel presentations, autograph sessions, and giving media interviews. When you combine that with their jetlag, they're left weary and understandably stressed. When Kawamori left his panel (which lasted longer than expected), he was on his way to do a 90 minute autograph session. That short amount of time between events was supposed to be his time to catch his breath. It's no secret that Japanese artists share their experiences at American conventions with their colleagues, and incidents like these may deter Kawamori and others from Otakon. If that happens, then it's the fans who lose out.

3 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

I generally try to avoid pontificating, but I think there's a valuable lesson to be learned here. I happened to witness this "guerilla interview" at Otakon and hopefully other peope in the future can avoid doing this type of thing.

I was waiting to catch an elevator when I saw this group follow Kawamori as he left his panel. When Kawamori got in the elevator with me, the group followed him in, effectively trapping him inside while peppering him with questions. Judging by Kawamori's body language, this was making him very uncomfortable, but the group either didn't notice or didn't care. After Kawamori got off on his floor, the group followed him out, still asking him with questions. While it's possible that Kawamori may have agreed to do an improptu interview, it was probably made out of politeness, not because he wanted one. Otakon had a page where people could sign up to schedule an interview with Kawamori; this was avoidable and in bad taste. When Kawamori walked inside that small elevator, that should've been their cue to end the interview.

On top of this, during Kawamori's second panel presentation, he specifically asked the audience not to take any pictures of him nor the slides that he was showing. But the guy in the right hand side of that group photo (wearing the black shirt with the poster tube sling over his shoulder), proceeded to take pictures of every single slide that Kawamori showed. There was even a large sign on Kawamori's table that told the audience not to take any pictures. While some of the pictures that Kawamori showed were common pictures that can be found in any artbook, some of them were private pictures on him on vacation and his hometown. I think it's safe to say that Kawamori didn't want his personal photos being permanently stored on a stranger's hard drive. Since this person was sitting near the front, Kawamori's personal interpreter noticed him taking photos on multiple occassions, but probably wanted to avoid a scene by alerting the Otakon staff. In any case, she probably told Kawamori what happened afterwards.

This is important because it's difficult for East Coast conventions to convince Japanese artists to make the long trip from Japan to the East Coast. While Washington, DC and New York are tourist sites, they just can't compete with the appeal of Los Angeles and Hollywood. When Japanese guests agree to make the 12+ hour trip from Japan to the East Coast, they usually arrive the day before the con (due to their busy schedule back home), which doesn't leave them with any time to recover from the jetlag. When they get to the convention, their days are packed with panel presentations, autograph sessions, and giving media interviews. When you combine that with their jetlag, they're left weary and understandably stressed. When Kawamori left his panel (which lasted longer than expected), he was on his way to do a 90 minute autograph session. That short amount of time between events was supposed to be his time to catch his breath. It's no secret that Japanese artists share their experiences at American conventions with their colleagues, and incidents like these may deter Kawamori and others from Otakon. If that happens, then it's the fans who lose out.

Some points of clarification may be in order here. 

-The interview was properly applied for and approved in advance. The “guerilla” aspect is somewhat of an inside joke since, due to a con scheduling mishap, there was nowhere to actually conduct the interview, despite it being approved. Hence it was done on-the-go. 

-The interview was not conducted in an elevator. None of the audio file I was given to transcribe was recorded anywhere other than in the hallway. Were there some setup questions asked elsewhere? Obviously, not being there, I can’t say. But nothing was recorded for the interview in an elevator. 

-Nothing in the audio file suggests that he felt in anyway uncomfortable. In fact, I was actually surprised at how relaxed and forthcoming his answers were. He certainly sounded quite happy imo. And there’s no awkward body language reflected in the multitude of photographs he took with the interviewers, most of which did not end up being included in the article.

-I can’t speak to the actions of any photographers, since I didn’t have anyone approach me and ask to cover the panels, however I am aware photographs were explicitly allowed in one panel and not the other. I’ve received photographs from the panel in which they were permitted, from several people at the time, in fact, however none of them were of the slides. 

TL;DR - The interview was authorized, conducted with the permission of the interviewee, and done with his kind blessing “on-the-go” because despite being approved in advance there was nowhere proper to do it. 

Again, since I wasn’t there in person, there’s a limit to any insight I can provide, however the above may be useful in clarifying the actual conditions the interview was conducted under.

Thanks for the feedback though. It’s much appreciated and I’ll be sure to pass it along. Thanks for reading! 

Edited by Tochiro
Edited for spelling

4 hours ago, Tochiro said:

Some points of clarification may be in order here. 

-The interview was properly applied for and approved in advance. The “guerilla” aspect is somewhat of an inside joke since, due to a con scheduling mishap, there was nowhere to actually conduct the interview, despite it being approved. Hence it was done on-the-go.

Thanks for the clarification! I'm glad to hear that that group went through the proper channels to obtain their interview and I sincerely apologize to you and to them for insinuating otherwise.

-The interview was not conducted in an elevator. None of the audio file I was given to transcribe was recorded anywhere other than in the hallway. Were there some setup questions asked elsewhere? Obviously, not being there, I can’t say. But nothing was recorded for the interview in an elevator. 

-Nothing in the audio file suggests that he felt in anyway uncomfortable. In fact, I was actually surprised at how relaxed and forthcoming his answers were. He certainly sounded quite happy imo. And there’s no awkward body language reflected in the multitude of photographs he took with the interviewers, most of which did not end up being included in the article.

-I can’t speak to the actions of any photographers, since I didn’t have anyone approach me and ask to cover the panels, however I am aware photographs were explicitly allowed in one panel and not the other. I’ve received photographs from the panel in which they were permitted, from several people at the time, in fact, however none of them were of the slides.

The elevator portion did occur because I can remember questions being asked that don't appear in your post, such as whether Kawamori would be interested in coming to Awesome Con. It probably wasn't recorded.

The first panel only permitted photography of Kawamori and the stage, not his slides. The second panel had a blanket ban on all photography. The group's photographer took pictures of all of Kawamori's slides, which seems pretty inexcusable to me.

No worries. Only too happy to provide clarification and yes, the interview was indeed properly applied for in advance. 

And again, the two reporters credited with the interview were not involved with the panels. Nor did they have a photographer. So rest assured that no rules were stepped upon, nor even bent in conducting the interview. 

Thanks again for the feedback!

EDIT: I’ve contacted those involved and been told that while they did have a photographer, they did not take any panel slide pictures. (Nor are they in any pics in the piece since they were the ones taking them). Added for clarification. 

Edited by Tochiro
Edited for fact check.

On 12/17/2018 at 7:13 AM, Tochiro said:

Here's our huge end of year wrap-up.

Theres too much to list here (theres timestamps on the site) but we meet the scenario writer of SDFM, unearth unpublished lineart of the VF-0, see Kazutaka Miyatake's latest masterpiece of design, get a shoutout from Minori Suzuki, and bump into Shoji Kawamori and Haruhiko Mikimoto at the orchestra... and more! :-)
http://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-119-a-series-of-nooks/

On 12/29/2018 at 10:59 PM, Tochiro said:

While not overly Macross-related, this may prove interesting for anyone that is looking for a little background noise while recovering from the Xmas/New Years food coma.
http://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-120-what-is-anime/ 

Man, I've got some catching up to do. Thanks for all of this year-end (New Year) content!

I’ve really enjoyed the last several episodes, you guys have done.

Thanks Gwyn and everyone!!

Really found myself engaged in the “what is anime” topic. It’s very interesting how opinions differ. I found myself agreeing and disagreeing all over the place ,as well..

Most notably, didn’t agree that the Animatrix isn’t anime, Lol. But that’s why we all have different opinions!

I take it , hastily mentioned at the end, the consensus is that Afro (Samuel) Samurai is not Anime..

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the lateness. What I thought was the barking Tank! wasn't what I thought it was. Since it wasn't under the Tank title I had to listen to the discography.

Song is Wandering Cowboy (Ein) on the Cowboy Bebop Boxed Set (2002). It's a remix of the Tank! melody with Ein barking every now and again. There is a better version with Ed (Aoi ED Tada) if interested.

Just now, Bolt said:

Ah.. and that nifty box comes with it?

I think that's the standard 1/20 figure kit box from MaxFactory... I don't own any, but I think they're all like that.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10556105

Item Size/Weight : 29.8 x 21.2 x 3.1 cm / 185g

• 2 weeks later...

3D labs....Lynn Minmay is edible!

:shok:... Eh?? ...:blink: