Various LEGO webfinds: VF-25, VF-0, VF-1, VF-19, SV-51, Fz-109, VF-171

paramat

Those small scale ones are pretty darn awesome actually. :) It's a great way to get past the issues bigger models have.

I'm currently working on something with the Digital Designer program, but it's got a long way to go.

post-907-0-26991000-1335496144_thumb.jpg

It's basically a double-scaled version of the Yamato VF-19, right down to the internal mechanisms. No idea if it will ever work in real life though, because the types of hinges I might need might not even exist. :(

• 2 weeks later...

The best joints are from the bionicals and some of the technic bricks/pins.

Actually, not even close. They're great for smaller scales, but if you start getting anything bigger than a 1/60 valk, and they won't support anything. Especially the ball joints, since those have about the same staying power as a Bandai DX ball joint. :p Legos are just heavy.

The problem is, Lego doesn't make any joints with any sort of tension in the form that I need them... specifically, they don't make any strong turn-table style joints.. the kind of thing you could mount hips or shoulders to.

Edited by Chronocidal

Larger than 1/60.

Try bionical ball joints wrapped in cling wrap. The cling wrap will give out over time but they work.

Got the idea from a variable VF-1A that was about 1/48, it had cut up bionical joints to make what was needed for the shoulders and hips.

Yes for the purist cutting is taboo but oh well. Not my idea and I didn't think it would work either.

edit: solved the Engrish problems

Edited by Fly4victory

Mhm, I've got a couple dozen of those.

Sadly, they're entirely the wrong shape to be of any use for hips or shoulders. I've used them for knees, and they work decently, but the odd shape is really limiting.

What I really need is something that uses that exact pivot design, but with the studs attached to the faces of the disks, allowing you to make a simple rotating joint. I could still use something like that for knees as well, but the built-in lever arms really restrict where you can use those.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found this transforming mini YF-19.

sbbs110605225910I9Wae.jpg

http://imgbbs.bricks...25910I9Wae&p=16

In anyone's interested, I've reconstructed this model using Lego's Digital designer, and I have a parts list. I just priced it out using Lego's Pick-A-Brick option and it costs around $40. There are two parts that are not available on Lego's site right now though. They should be easy enough to find. One problem I had with LDD was that I could not position the arms to properly locate the shield but I think it can be done with the physical parts.

th_YF-19-Lego.jpg

EDIT: I found a way to position the arms, and I was able to transform it directly in LDD.

Edited by Metal_Massacre_79

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Meh on the SDF-1. Sure it looks nice, but with some many hand modified pieces it is more of a scratch build model.

Other than the four thin parts that extend from the bow, I didn't see any other parts that I haven't seen in any current Lego set.

Either way, it's still awesome and something that I've been wanting to make for years!