Macross Variable Fighter Photos

ron5864

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic work as usual! You should make a macross calendar with these. Can't wait for each new month to see what you come up with!

Chris

P.S. If you would like to use any of my build pics in my sig line for a composite you're welcome them. :D.

Though I admit the may not be of the best quality or lighting for what you need. Always thought the 4th from the bottom of the finished pictures, in the VF-11 link, looks like it is flying over clouds on a moonlit night.

Edited by Dobber

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the complements.

To answer some questions and curiosities, here is how the September photo was done.

post-7534-0-68866800-1346727145_thumb.jpeg + post-7534-0-79450300-1346727129_thumb.jpeg

= post-7534-0-94946100-1346727163_thumb.jpeg

Easy math. :p

I took the background photo while flying over the Mojave desert in the morning and I took the VF-11 at around the same time of day facing similar direction for proper shadowing. Then crop and paste with some color adjustments and detail corrections. This is not too difficult, but it does take some planning to make it look realistic.

Ok.....hmmmm planning something special for the Moon Festival on September 30th. Check back then.

If you can take the photo of the toy in the Mojave desert combining it with that background it would look even better. The indoor photo makes the plane a bit too bright compared with the background, solved this issue and you got one realistic photo that's hard to be distinguished from a real photo.

• 4 weeks later...

In celebration of the 2012 Moon Festival on September 30....

When uninvited Marduk crashes the 2092 Moon Festival and captures Hibiki and Ishtar, Lt. Sylvie Gena kicks into action. After getting a hold of a Super Valkyrie II from her teammate Nastasha, Sylvie chases after them to the alien ship just as the ship begins a space fold.

post-7534-0-00569500-1348890523_thumb.jpeg

VF-2SS in hot pursuit.

• 1 month later...

Actually, I think the canopy is the most realistic looking part of that last pic. It's the rest of the valk that's not shiny enough to match it.

The trick is, real aircraft, when they're fresh from the factory, truly are as dull as a fresh Yamato.. but they don't stay that way. Wear and tear on the planes, and touch-ups in the paint over time actually turn the dull paint shiny, and you get uneven levels of gloss all over the aircraft.

Normally, weathering techniques are used to add dirt and stuff, but rarely do I see people weather models purely in the specular range, which is where a lot of it happens.

f-18-hornet-450.jpg

If I learned one thing from my time making mods for games, it's that there are multiple levels to what makes an aircraft model look real. Game models today use multiple texture maps to make things more and more realistic. You've got your base texture level, which is your traditional styled "picture of what the plane looks like." Then, you add your bump or normal maps for details that are too impractical to build into the model.

On top of those, you've got your specular and reflectivity maps. Reflectivity is just how much of a reflection you can see, usually just a grayscale image that indicates levels between completely dull and a mirror finish.

Specularity is basically your map of "What does the light reflecting off this surface look like." You know how some metals will look one color, but when the light hits them at a certain angle, they show up a different color? That's what causes this. I think games mostly only support grayscale specular maps, but high quality rendering software will let you have objects reflect colors that are very different than what they normally apear.

Best example I know of is to go take a look at any ship in Star Trek past TOS. It's what made the Enterprise refit in TMP so impressive in that long cinematic intro. The individual panels are really not very different in color at all. But view them in different angles of light, and the panels jump out at you.

If you really want to try something fun, try painting an aircraft in a standard dullcoat, and then add your usual light weathering to it. Then, to seal it, apply varying levels of gloss clearcoat to the plane. Start with flat, then start mixing some gloss in for the parts you want to look worn. Make the leading edges, access points, etc, shinier than the rest of the plane. Places where friction in flight would wear the paint shiny. Even completely dull aircraft very rarely have a dull nosecone, because it's constantly being polished by contact with the air. :)

I haven't tried that myself yet, but I really want to someday, because I think it would look amazing.

f-14a005.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That looks dope! I'm wondering what the intention with the light was, though? It's coming in at a very steep angle, as though from a rising or setting sun coming through a hangar door, or a massive, ginormous spotlight at like, a 15 degree, 20 degree angle. If the intent is the former, the sun, then I feel like there should be some color temperature shifts. To clearly indicate the source as the sun, a sunrise or sunset will appear orange or red. It's possible that the photograph could be white balanced for that magic hour look, but that would put the shadows into a bluer, purpler sort of color space. I personally believe the idea would be sun, here, because the shadows are so sharp, we have to assume that the light source is far enough away, that the Valk is MUCH closer to the wall than the light source.

Maybe just a bit of straw gel over the light would do the trick.

All very good points. The variables mean just about anything is possible. At the same time, as humans, certain tricks make things seem "realistic" to us, based on our own terrestrial experiences. Sometimes we have to fudge the science to sooth the suspension of disbelief. However, I bow to the fact that this picture could be ANYWHERE!