Er, Sid's mom got TK blown up. Sarah is his aunt. I think without looking too deep into it, the only relation between Joe and Sid is, they both would've lived very different lives if their childhood wasn't f-ed up by some person or other.

Not sure what's the significance of the similarity in how Old Joe gets woken up by chinese girl vs Sid who gets woken up by Sarah. That soft grab on the foot. Probably to prove they were both at peace at that point?

No, Cid blew up his aunt, sarah abandoned him and came back.

Joe's memories of getting cleaned up by sarah was similar to Old Joe's memories of Chinese Wife... old joe sees his memories getting erased, his past disappearing as young joe starts to write a new future for himself and it spurs him on to kill rainmaker and save himself.

I've had a slight change of heart. Being that there is plenty of "mirroring" that occurs within classic mythology, I am not so bothered about Joe and Sid having nearly identical backstories.

However, I'm still not thrilled about how time travel is handled in this movie. It is so integral to the entire story that you just cannot play so fast and loose with it. I heard a lot of comparisons to Inception before this movie was released, and it's just not there; Inception would have failed had Nolan not had the rock-solid ruleset that his movie operated by.

• 3 weeks later...

Just came back from the theaters, and I must say that Looper is one of the finest dystopian sci-fi films ever produced. Never mind the fact that it mostly looks low-budget - the use of more practical effects and less CG give it the gritty feel of classic '70s and early '80s dystopian cinema. There's even a little bit of Akira on the side. Excellent performances by everyone, especially that kid who played Cid.

Definitely on my Blu-ray wish list.

Now keep in mind I haven't seen this film yet(planning for this weekend), but apparently the premise is the mob owns a time machine sending people they don't like back in time to disapear, so a guy sent back before them can whack them and dispose of the bodies.

I gotta asks, what's preventing them from just sending someone back in time right into the mouth of a volcano, or at crush depth under the ocean? Why send a hitman back in the first place?

I gotta asks, what's preventing them from just sending someone back in time right into the mouth of a volcano, or at crush depth under the ocean? Why send a hitman back in the first place?

This is an action movie with sci-fi elements. Don't expect any hard science or logic behind the story devices--there isn't any. If you think about it too much the whole thing unravels; turn off your brain and just enjoy it.

At the risk of stating the obvious, because that scenario isn't compelling human drama and no one wants to see that movie, except perhaps as the punchline of a Penny Arcade strip :)

• 4 months later...

Resurecting the dead, just saw this last night and loved it. Sure it has plot holes but the characters are interesting and the time travel is just a plot device to get a character thinking what he would do if he could do it all over again.

The younger Joe deserved an Oscar for his performance - he had Bruce Willis' mannerisms down pat.

The kid in the movie was excellent as well, watching this makes me think how much better Star Wars Episode 1 would have been if this kid had played Anakin (granted he would have been a bit young at the time...)

I too just recently watched this movie. It was fun but wasn't really good IMO. They did a terrible job of creating a future. I mean, a mint condition NA Mazda Miata in 2074 or something?? And wouldn't history just repeat itself? Young Joe kills old Joe to close the loop and lives his life out. 30 years later he gets caught and gets sent back to be killed by young Joe. It would be a never ending loop if young Joe killed old Joe every time.

It's only a never ending loop the movie subscribes to an absolute closed loop theory. The impression I got however was that several divergences were in play.

-Original Joe Bruce Willis.

-The first Divergence - Younger Joe.

-The Second Divergence - i.e. Kill 'em All Kingpin Joe.

-Final Divergence - The kid at the end of the movie.