HLJ Sale.....again.....the usual stuff

jvmacross

• 4 months later...

I miss the usual stuff...... ;)

However, could not pass on cancelling my YF-19's and VF-1's to get the black friday prices.....bizarre move from HLJ...hope they will not flake on all the cancelled orders that folks surely will be making.....

I did the same thing, but skullmilitia is saying it can cause problems with HLJ. I will just shoot an e-mail next time I guess.

Well, I'll be a sweaty monkey's butt. HLJ has to know that people who preordered at ¥29,520 will, if they find out about the sale, cancel in order to reserve anew at ¥26,568; they cannot be that oblivious, and ~ ¥3,000 is too much to ignore... so, that's exactly what I just did. This now makes HLJ the least expensive place to secure a copy, and no paying upfront BS like Big in Japan, and no ¥4700 EMS charge locked in... win-win; they get their sale and we get un unbeatable deal.

Mmm, it's a win-win except for those who live in countries that charge customs; HLJ declares full value.

Irrelevant since anyone who needs to take customs charges into consideration would likely avoid HLJ, or any other retailer that declares full value, in favor of those that allow tailor-made value declarations.

Well, I'll be a sweaty monkey's butt. HLJ has to know that people who preordered at ¥29,520 will, if they find out about the sale, cancel in order to reserve anew at ¥26,568; they cannot be that oblivious, and ~ ¥3,000 is too much to ignore... so, that's exactly what I just did. This now makes HLJ the least expensive place to secure a copy, and no paying upfront BS like Big in Japan, and no ¥4700 EMS charge locked in... win-win; they get their sale and we get un unbeatable deal.

It also turns out that they will not honor the price via e-mail on existing orders either. So I think the easiest course of action was what we all did. They really can't get upset, I saved on the 2x 19's and the 2x 1S's I have on order, it was too obvious.

"Hi,

Thank you for writing in.

As stated on the info page, the sale is “What you see is what you get,” meaning the sales price during the campaign is shown on the page, and the prices are only in effect during the campaign (midnight Thursday night (12:00am Nov. 29) to midnight Monday night (11:59pm Dec. 2) (all Japan Standard Time (UTC + 9).

The prices are good for any orderable item that shows the “Black Friday Weekend” logo on the item page, including backordered, out of stock, or preorder items. The prices are not retroactive on any preorders or Private Warehouse items That were ordered before the start of the campaign.

I hope that clears things up!

Thank you for shopping at HobbyLink Japan! We appreciate your business!

Best Regards,

Brian Keaney

HobbyLink Japan

www.hlj.com"

Edited by Loop

That's similar to the first reply I go too.

When I asked for clarification on 'retroactive' I got:

Hello-

We're sorry, but no, Black Friday sale prices are not retroactive to orders that you placed before the Black Friday Weekend Sale started. To get the Black Friday Weekend Sale price for an item, you have to order it during the Black Friday Weekend Sale. You're welcome to cancel the order, using the My Account system (accessible by clicking "My Account" on the top right of pages on http://www.hlj.com), and then place a new order.

Thanks for your understanding, and for shopping with us!

Xxxx Xxxxxxx

HobbyLink Japan

http://www.hlj.com

Well that was incredibly useful. I just basically got my Roy VF-1S for free.. the savings on that, plus my two YF-19 preorders brought the total down to what the YF-19s cost before. :)

Do what I did. Order more stuff so the savings will actually turn into a loss. :lol:

I cancelled my preorders and reordered them with the sale price. I feel dirty, but none of these items were in stock.

I wouldn't, as per Tober's e-mail response they specifically say: "You're welcome to cancel the order, using the My Account system (accessible by clicking "My Account" on the top right of pages on http://www.hlj.com), and then place a new order." HLJ does tend to cater to the west more than the other shops. I am not surprised that they are letting us cancel then re-order. On top of that I hate when shops try to get weird about cancelling as if they could never sale said item. I feel like people have the right to change their mind, the only time I disagree though is if it is a small business or if they state that you "cannot cancel" before you place the order. At that point you should really think about it before ordering it.

I cancelled my Man of Steel hot toys and reordered it. Save 20 bucks :D

I have 4 other items PO'd but they are all out of stock... so I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

If you cancel something that's out of stock does it instantly go back into stock? or are you waiting on a update software?

So I got all my preorders covered. It's nice from hlj that they allow for that so it is another +1 for their shop in my eyes and I will recommend them to other toy nuts. They also answered my mail regarding the preorders very quickly. Unlike NY who shipped my item to a new address but never send any word back that they received my message and are shipping to the new address.

It sure sucks that HLJ declares the full value on the package but they are a big player so it is more likely that they will catch attention from customs. The 25% increase in price is something I have to keep in mind all the time and I do consider it before ordering . It is also the reasons why I can afford some of the marked up prices from NY during the great Bandai renewal madness 2013. ^_^

Declaring the proper value has a second negative side effect for me. In my country when you import too much and actually pay the customs fee you might catch the attention of customs and have to proof that you are not a business that imports stuff. This would lead to even more administration shenanigans not counting my visiting the customs in person (+travel costs), hand in my own written import sheet (which is a clusterfrakk because web services is not a word known to custom officers) and the chance that your package is caught by highwayman that are so kindly to do the paperwork for you (and the cost only a very "small" fee).

Importing toys sucks. :lol:

It occurred to me that i have a SOC Yamato 2199 dx on preorder with amiami. I thought to myself i could save a few bucks by reordering at HLJ and then cancelling the amiami preorder. Strangely the black friday hlj price is still more expensive than amiami's regular price (23400 yen vs 20970 yen). :wacko:

Yeah I did, what HLJ suggested. All of the items I cancelled and reordered were still available for preorder. So I didn't miss out on anything. The savings were too good to pass up with all of the things I have on preorder with them.

I think that they should offer some rewards or loyalty program. They have. A coupon system, but in all of my years of ordering from them, I've yet to see any coupons or discounts being offered.

Amiami is cheap.. but I hate that they are such sticklers about cancelling and won't let you manage your orders.

From now on I'll just stick with HLJ, as they have a better interface and management.

I wish I could cancel all my orders there and move them back to HLJ.

• 3 months later...

Hopefully it's a good sign for Arcadia that their VF-1S's aren't on sale.

*in that they are selling well enough that they don't need to be discounted further

-b.

Actually...

The 30th anniversary VF-1 is on sale.

Kind of a given though :p

Edited by Loop

Yeah, that's a 1J (and the 30th Anniversary should always be 1/2 off). I was only speaking about the 1S's. :p

-b.

Hopefully it's a good sign for Arcadia that their VF-1S's aren't on sale.

*in that they are selling well enough that they don't need to be discounted further

-b.

Wow, if I wasn't already horribly overstocked on VF-19s, I'd probably grab another for customizing. That's one heckuva good deal though.

Really kind of not surprised about the 30th VF-1J though.. I mean, it is a nice display piece, but I think the audience for it was much more limited than any of the other paintschemes, since it has no actual connection to the series itself.

It's kind of depressing actually.. the more we seem to beg for low-vis versions of everything (still waiting for that gray with black stripes VF-19F :p), the further they get from that idea with their releases. :lol:

Edited by Chronocidal

Yeah i wasnt really impressed by the quarter even though it good reviews. Damn the timing on this sale. I would love to pick up a couple of the vf-19s but i need every doller for the yf-19s coming out this month.

Edited by Sandman