DYRL Bluray Release Confirmed

SCOOPUDA!

I agree with this. When I saw the series bluray, I thought maybe there wasn't enough money to do the entire series, plus let's admit it... some SDF episodes weren't worth thr restoration image wise. But I thought DYRL would get a better treatment. Though I can't say the differences are subtle. In some ways the high definition worked really great but in some scenes the remastering also allowed you to see the scratches on the cels in front when it's moving across the screen. I thought DYRL deserved more of a clean up job since the animation is so amazing.

I downloaded the first episode of the series blu-ray and I don't know, it was to difficult to watch it on my laptop it just doesn't have the power for the codec that ended up being used. But I still feel like what AnimEgo did 10 years ago was by far a fantastic remaster. Sadly I can't compare that to the Blu-ray release of the series.

but I don't want to see the scene scratches on the top layers of the cels, I wanna see cleanliness. I wanna see sharp pictures and stunning color corrections. Closest that seemed to of done that in regards to an 80's cartoon was SONY BGM doing Transformers the Movie. They did a fantastic job in the remaster imo.

However with that said, it's difficult to make something 30 years old and make it look fresh and new and vibrant. If you're going to put something on Blu-ray and you're going to remaster the footage and audio, take the time to make it look amazing and worth 80-100 dollars.

That's just one of the "edits" that people have been complaining about.

Like you, I too think that they could have done a better job of restoring and cleaning up the film. I feel that there are some scenes where the grain is really pronounced and jarring.

I wish DYRL? had the same kind of treatment NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind had on Blu-ray. That film looks gorgeous and nothing appears jarring.

This is definitely not thE "definitive" version of DYRL? to own, that's for sure. I am tempted to almost go as far as to say the HD Remaster on DVD is the "definitive" version to own. I seem to have lost track of just how many DVD versions there are out there...so pardon me if there's a more "definitive" version out there on DVD.

This all goes without saying that I do think the movie on BD looks stunning - minus the foolish edits.

I feel like some scenes were very nice to watch. Some scenes still looked a tad blurred or soft and grainy. I still need to finish watching the entire movie though I guess before I can say yay or nay. I do remember once when I first released my dub that I had a comparison shot of the old FX DVD and the HD DVD released few years ago and went "Wow!" at how much detail ended up getting lost in the old transfers. But in this blu-ray so far, it's just enhancements of the colors even more.

I'm glad they didn't remove the grain with DNR or artificially sharpen scenes. You remove fine detail when you remove grain. DYRL shouldn't look clean and sharp like a recent HD show. Disney can afford to restore their animated features frame by frame for Blu-ray and remove the grain without compromising detail, but Bandai isn't Disney.

I dunno, I kind of would of liked to of seen grain removed as much as possible. Just enough of an extent that you don't lose to much of the animation quality.

It appears to me that this was a rushed job. I think the new audio track exemplifies it... IMO there are some unnecessary (but not bad) new audio effects in the beginning of the movie that scream "NEW AUDIO MIX" but there's a point in the movie when the audio remaster is not so spectacular anymore. For example: in the beginning of the movie when the VF-1s are taking off, the surround sound is all over the place. In the final battle, there are many scenes of the SDF-1 that could have used the 7.1 mix but all the effects are focused in the front speakers.

Video-quality wise, I agree that although some scenes look incredible, the HD remaster on DVD is less distracting since the contrast of blurry/clear scenes is not that obvious.

The Audio track thus far doesn't ruin it for me like ADV's did. I can't even stand listening to the english dub of the ADV release, it's jarring and out of place. This, not so much right now.

For now, I still stand by that taking something 30+ years and putting it on HD remaster to blu-ray is a difficult task that needs more refining. You're taking something that was never planned to go that far in definition and you're bound to get something in there that people wont like. Maybe 40th or 50th Anniversary we'll see it in jaw dropping holographic definition and play the roles of our favorite characters. I could dream.

I dunno, I kind of would of liked to of seen grain removed as much as possible. Just enough of an extent that you don't lose to much of the animation quality.

The set comes with extras of the opening sequence that shows how clean it can be without ruining the classic look of an 80's anime. SOmeone explained how that's probably a 35mm master, which explains the vividness, but it's pretty much an example of the quality I was expecting.

Don't anybody get me wrong, the set is worth it to me and there's sequences that are just like that clean SDF opening. I also think the sound is a lot better. I'm pretty happy about my purchase. But there's always going to be that desire of that prestine look that I've been wishing for forever. In all fairness, there's sequences in Aliens that went from super sharp and clean to grainy. I'm guessing it's just what's available for the budget. If you watch the sequence where Ripley runs into the Alien Queen, you'll see the better resolution they have for the miniatures vs. the grainy pictures of the actors.

Well... DYRL was planned to be seen in movie theaters, and 35mm film has a much higher resolution than Blu-ray. For the HD remaster, the film was probably scanned at at least 2K resolution and then downconverted to 1080p for the Blu-ray. By the 40th anniversary, there might be a 2K or 4K version, but you would need a huge screen to see the difference.

If you were viewing a film print in a theater, any flaws like scratches or dust would be even more noticeable. I think we've just gotten used to blurry VHS tapes, laserdiscs and DVDs that do a better job of hiding the flaws. We're a bit taken aback when we see a version that more closely resembles how the film actually looks.

That said, I'm not sure how close the DYRL Blu-ray gets. The remaster is uneven, like they left the grain in for some shots and filtered it out for others.

I'm still pretty happy with this release. 2 seconds of missing gore isn't a deal breaker for me, and the original stereo audio is included if you don't like the new 5.1 mix.

I received my this afternoon and I love it overall, and am happy with all the goodies inside but I do wish there weren't any edits. There are some parts that look fantastic then there are parts that are grainy and kinda blurry (not the edited gore parts)but I'm not complaining you still get the overall feeling of the film. I haven't watched the FB2012 blu-ray yet so I can't comment on that. The MBFIAP 2012 game is cool only played 2 levels so far, but is it me or do the valks kinda transform slower than on the psp games. (also I noticed this too on the MF movie games aswell) My film cell is minmay singing during the final battle.

Also there are two codes to download one is the PS1 DYRL and I don't know what the other one is I think it's for the social game.

I haven't played the PS1 game in like 7 years after playing a couple of levels my fingers hurt, double tapping then hold to get rapid fire, and holding down the missile button while pressing R1 and R2 to change modes while navigating through enemy gunfire all at the sametime,I had to take a break.

Does the PS1 game download code work in the US?

Does it have an expiration date on it? My mom ordered the set and is giving it to me for Christmas (We bought a new Air Conditioner so the money is tight)... But i can probably get her to get the paper with the code out if it will work in the US.

Thanks!

Does the PS1 game download code work in the US?

Does it have an expiration date on it? My mom ordered the set and is giving it to me for Christmas (We bought a new Air Conditioner so the money is tight)... But i can probably get her to get the paper with the code out if it will work in the US.

Thanks!

Is she getting you the Limited Edition version?

And you have to create a Japanese PS account which isn't difficult. http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=37205&st=0 scroll down the thread and there's a tutorial on how to do it.

Does the game voucher only come with the LE version? I have one heading my way, however I'm not sure I want to keep it. I am considering selling it and getting the regular version. But I'd like to play the PS1 game if possible.

I am in the same spot. I can either cancel my LE order or buying both, and sell the LE later on. I want to keep the LE blurays intact for a future sale.

Is she getting you the Limited Edition version?

And you have to create a Japanese PS account which isn't difficult. http://www.macrosswo...opic=37205&st=0 scroll down the thread and there's a tutorial on how to do it.

It's the one thats got alll the extras in it. $200 shipped. Ouch. I guess thats LE, its got all the books, the Flashback 2012, etc.

So yeah anyone asking, the LE version is the only one with the PS1 game voucher. So if you paid over 200 then congrats :p

The only trick is to get a Japanese Playstation account, which I provided the link from the game section. Pretty handy. Sucks I can't play the game, but then again I already own it.

I know this sounds crazy, but is there a brave soul who is willing to translate the Anime Magazine Selection (or some of it) that came with the blu ray for all of us to enjoy?

I translated "some" of it a couple of weeks ago; it just so happened to be one of the articles that got reprinted:

http://www.macrossworld.com/2709/countdown-to-dyrl-bd-1984-interview-with-shoji-kawamori-from-animage-booklet-minmay-ai-miemashita-ka/

Well just got my Choujikuu Yousai Macross Ai Oboete Imasu ka Hybrid Pack Limited Edition in from NCSX but wont open it till I hear back from them. It arrived damaged :angry: The package it was shipped in was undamaged by UPS but the product inside is obviously split at the top of the collectors box above Hikaru's VF along the top seam, afraid it could be damaged inside too. It was obviously like this prior to shipping just must have been over looked whe they put it in the box. Hoping they will exchange it if they still have any left thats why I havent opened it.

Well I watched the movie (haven't watched any extras yet) and while I am happy with my purchase, I agree with a lot of you guys that I feel it could have had a better restoration. One scene will look absolutely breathtaking and then another will...not. Not that it's bad and it's light years beyond the old DVD I have but I still feel that a little more care and concern could have been put into it. Granted I don't know the shape of the materials they were working with so that may be the best we could get without a really really expensive amount of work put into it. But again, overall I'm very happy to have it. The edits aren't a huge deal to me though I would prefer them not to be there (or to at least have a version of it on disc without them). To me the head smashing blur was REALLY noticeable though.

Like I previous said on the head smash blur, I think of it as Miriya's foot putting the "Camera" out of focus.

I noticed no one here has talked about it, but when you do the pop up menu you see 2012 and 1984, only difference i see between them is the title cue not being in the 1984 version. Anything else different?

Like I previous said on the head smash blur, I think of it as Miriya's foot putting the "Camera" out of focus.

I noticed no one here has talked about it, but when you do the pop up menu you see 2012 and 1984, only difference i see between them is the title cue not being in the 1984 version. Anything else different?

We talked about it....

I picked my set up from the post office today. Totally blown away by all the extras. It would have been nice if they just bound everything in a book instead of having all these little sheets, but whatever. It's pretty much my dream set as far as art materials for this movie are concerned. The box unexpectedly has this really high quality plastic finish. It feels different from any DVD box I've ever had. Can't wait to get home and actually pop the disc in. My film strip is Roy, Claudia, and Misa sitting in the restaurant.

I've got the set sitting on my desk at work right now. The resident Robotech nerd in my office is probably going to notice and start drooling soon.

Mine looks like it's been in customs since Monday at the facility at JFK airport in NY. Hopefully, it won't take a long time to clear and makes it's way home. :)

Has anybody on the east coast tracked their order and figured out how long it took once it arrived in the US. I used registered SAL as my shipping method.

Edited by sharky

Mine looks like it's been in customs since Monday at the facility at JFK airport in NY. Hopefully, it won't take a long time to clear and makes it's way home. :)

Has anybody on the east coast tracked their order and figured out how long it took once it arrived in the US. I used registered SAL as my shipping method.

Registered SAL takes longer because the package has be be signed off by each person that handles the package. It could take up to a week from the time it arrives at JFK to the time it arrives to you. Edited by gshock

Finally received mine from CDJapan - but quite expensive after 4,300Y EMS and another $31.06 customs charge at the door!

Beautiful set (haven't watched it yet) but I like all the extras. Unfortunately, my filmstrip is only of Misa's reflection as she reads the "alien" protoculture card - not the most exciting. At least I still have my Gold Book filmstrip of Minmay flopping down on her bed - but I noticed that the new filmstrip doesn't have the stereo sound track on the film and the aspect and image is slightly smaller than the original Gold Book filmstrip. I think the new filmstrip just seems like a cheap repro. I'm a little disappointed that the beautiful cutaway poster of the Valkyrie wasn't reproduced in that package of posters. Has anyone scanned that poster in and removed all the folds and pieced it all together? I'd love to have that as a high res wallpaper someday.

Can't wait to see it on my 100" HD projection screen on the weekend!

Now are there any English subtitles yet timed for this release if I rip it to M2TS?

Edited by wm cheng

Thanks a bunch for the pictures.

The extras that come on the boxset are beautiful. I was regreting buying the LE instead of the regular single BD but now, I feel that it will be a highly collectable pack.

Now i see the blurry scenes in some of the pictures. A bit dissapointed but I won't complain having only a miserable bootleg DYRL DVD.

Mine came from nippon yasan pretty fast. All in all I love it. The missing scenes and blurred gore kinda irk me but oh well. I'm still happy, my film strip was a surprise, I got Minmay singing in the final battle. The quality of the video is awesome in some areas and bad in others. Over all I happy with it. Loved all the extras, got to see some art I've never seen before. I just hope they released a complete uncut version some day in HD.

Mine wound up arriving safe and sound, apparently it just got delayed somehow from CDJapan. Loving the extras, but didn't get a chance to watch it yet.

I envy you folks who got good film cels though.:p I wound up with a series of frames showing the stage before the scene involving the micloned Zentraedi. No characters in the shot, just a picture of the stage banner with the UN and Zentraedi insignias.

Now to go wait for the PS3 to hit bargain basement prices so I can play the game, and download the old PS1 DYRL game. ^_^

Mine wound up arriving safe and sound, apparently it just got delayed somehow from CDJapan. Loving the extras, but didn't get a chance to watch it yet.

I envy you folks who got good film cels though. :p I wound up with a series of frames showing the stage before the scene involving the micloned Zentraedi. No characters in the shot, just a picture of the stage banner with the UN and Zentraedi insignias.

Now to go wait for the PS3 to hit bargain basement prices so I can play the game, and download the old PS1 DYRL game. ^_^

Ha... consider your self lucky! There is always someone else worse off. I'm convinced I got the worst film cell possible. Mine is the sequence before Hikaru and Misa are introduced on stage to meet/surprise Minmay. It is a shot from the bottom of the steps leading up to the stage entrance. All you see are legs leading up to the steps. No faces, characters, mecha or symbolism of any importance whatsoever compared to others here. At least you got two cool insignias.