DYRL Bluray Release Confirmed

SCOOPUDA!

I ordered the LE boxset. I also paid upfront, so I don't know if that has anything to do with me getting it today vs. being in the same waiting game. I also paid via paypal. Don't know if that helps, but hope you don't have to wait too long.

yeah.

seems like cdj put us non-paypal/ems people in the lowest-priority bucket versus you paypal/fedex-guys.

would've been f*ckin tolerable if I was given the SAL-option in the preorder to have to wait like this. :angry:

Edited by treatment

There has been a bit of a fuss over pre-orders for the Box here. The missus runs an AV shop and had her box pre-orders cut to a third of what it was in the initial solicitation - disappointing many. Even larger concerns have been affected. Family Mart (convenience chain) had a special pre-order event, and though they were not as badly effected they still had their numbers cut. Seems that someone either at Bandai, or further down the distribution chain corked up the figures. That has to have had a knock-on effect on overseas resellers/shops.

The good side seems to be that the initial run of the box is being extended - add to that the number of second-hand boxes already surfacing following the nerdrage of Thurs... :)

I am sure it will all come out in the wash...

Edited by nautilus

One thing about the disc itself -- I had to update the PS3 firmware to play it. Neither the game nor movie worked otherwise.

I feared the worst. I hate updating because usually everything is much worse afterwards.

Anyway, as a result, my PS3 now is dead slow when accessing the internet, lags all the time, and it has crashed 3 times in 10 minutes.

I hate you, Sony. Go straight to hell -- do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Straight to hell.

Yeah, I used to love Sony, but in the last 20yrs, they've really gone downhill and seem to be against the consumer!

They forced an update, sometime last year they snuck in this Cinavia copy protection into an PS3 update and now I can't stream a lot of legit Bluray backups I have from my WHS media server.

Yeah, I used to love Sony, but in the last 20yrs, they've really gone downhill and seem to be against the consumer!

They forced an update, sometime last year they snuck in this Cinavia copy protection into an PS3 update and now I can't stream a lot of legit Bluray backups I have from my WHS media server.

Yeah, that Cinavia update is farking annoying!!!

Also, i'm willing to buy the voucher for that PSone game if no one wants it. PM me if you are not going to use it.

One thing about the disc itself -- I had to update the PS3 firmware to play it. Neither the game nor movie worked otherwise.

Anyway, as a result, my PS3 now is dead slow when accessing the internet, lags all the time, and it has crashed 3 times in 10 minutes.

I hate you, Sony. Go straight to hell -- do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Straight to hell.

Amen... You'd have thought, by now that they would have been able to sort out these firmware updates.... Oh wait.... Did I just use logic connected to Sony? I am so very sorry.

Not just PS3, as well. My stand-alone needed an update before it would play.

Just playing a little devil's advocate...how do they know it's legit backups? I hate copy protection period but the blame isn't on Sony alone. It's on the entire business of media and media distribution. They don't trust us and they have no reason to trust us (works both ways). It's a shame really.

Amen... You'd have thought, by now that they would have been able to sort out these firmware updates.... Oh wait.... Did I just use logic connected to Sony? I am so very sorry.

Not just PS3, as well. My stand-alone needed an update before it would play.

Yeah...the firmware update is a bluray thing...

Edited by xrentonx

Briefly looked through my set. The included booklet extras are all very nice.

With regards to the edits, I took a look at them... I'll just say that it makes no sense why they made the changes.

I wasn't blown away by the remaster but it's still very nice. Probably the best it's ever going to look. Glad I got it.

On the other hand, (I know this was mentioned before) what's with the bullcrap window-boxing of Flashback 2012!?

Edited by Vifam7

On the other hand, (I know this was mentioned before) what's with the bullcrap window-boxing of Flashback 2012!?

FB2012 is pretty much the same as it was on DVD/LD. It is presented in its original 4:3 aspect ratio (4:3 letterboxed for the concert scenes), so I don't see a problem. At the very end of the farewell concert, the frame expands to the full 4:3. Did you want them to crop the 4:3 parts to make them widescreen? I'm glad they just left it alone.

FB2012 is pretty much the same as it was on DVD/LD. It is presented in its original 4:3 aspect ratio (4:3 letterboxed for the concert scenes), so I don't see a problem. At the very end of the farewell concert, the frame expands to the full 4:3. Did you want them to crop the 4:3 parts to make them widescreen? I'm glad they just left it alone.

Is that what's going on? I don't have mine yet. If so, yeah, that ain't a problem. It's funny how people don't understand the difference between anamorphic widescreen, letterboxed, 4:3, and 4:3 that's been cropped to letterbox...

Got mine on Friday via CDJapan. Been working/under the weather but plan on doping up with some DayQuil and watching it today, especially since the roomie is out of town and I can crank up my home theater. Must say that all of the included artwork is beautiful. I'm tempted to frame a few pieces when I get my new apartment.

One question.

Is the movie from the hybrid pack exactly the same as the regular edition?

I read that the the hybrid pack movie ends with the concert and Megaroad departure from Flashback. I assume the regular does too.

One thing I noticed is that both come with different jacket covers.

YesAsia sent mine on friday and am now patiently waiting for customs to fleece me with an extra 37 per cent. Despite some of the negative stuff I've read about the quality of the release, I'm still very excited about getting a new special release of DYRL.

Just because you don't care much about it doesn't mean it's a big deal. I know it's popular to mention that there's fanboy rants on message boards but the disc was released YESTERDAY. And it is a big deal. The more people accept things like this the more directors/producers/artists will feel free to change artform that has already been a part of culture for a long time. As far as I'm concerned they can change it as long as they release the original versions on a different format or if it's remastered. I find it funny that that kind of statement is coming from someone that gets offended when someone reposts their work as their own, even though it's based on someone else's creation.

Yes was more directed that another person needs confirmation. But none the less people are still pissing and moaning over the changes. Shoji may be the George Lucas of Japan or not, dunno. But it is their work and can approve or disapprove whatever they want IMO. I think the changes made are superficial, though they were unneccessary.

Now as you mentioned my stuff I'm more upset that it was posted without stating where it came from as proper credit.

Again, it's not beating a dead horse because the BD had just came out the day before. And the changes are the latest news to come out. People are still receiving their disks right now. Maybe if it was months later and people were still whining constantly about it then maybe you have a point but this is a discussion forum, if you can't stand the discussion then move on to another thread.

And the internet is how old, you still don't have an idea of how it works? People repost stuff that you post on it, especially if you don't own the copyright. What you did was repost someone's work in it's entirety, reworked or not. It wasn't a review and it wasn't a work of parody. And it's not that I disapprove, but you can't act like you're unaware that type of stuff doesn't happen on the internet and that you're not the one with the rights to stop it.

So you think that it's the creators work and they can do what they want... THAT'S stating an opinion, but you think other's don't have the right to state theirs? Again... ->"Discussion forum"<-

Again, it's not beating a dead horse because the BD had just came out the day before. And the changes are the latest news to come out. People are still receiving their disks right now. Maybe if it was months later and people were still whining constantly about it then maybe you have a point but this is a discussion forum, if you can't stand the discussion then move on to another thread.

And the internet is how old, you still don't have an idea of how it works? People repost stuff that you post on it, especially if you don't own the copyright. What you did was repost someone's work in it's entirety, reworked or not. It wasn't a review and it wasn't a work of parody. And it's not that I disapprove, but you can't act like you're unaware that type of stuff doesn't happen on the internet and that you're not the one with the rights to stop it.

So you think that it's the creators work and they can do what they want... THAT'S stating an opinion, but you think other's don't have the right to state theirs? Again... ->"Discussion forum"<-

Off-topic, I know, but I think Hikuro has a point. His fandub was taken by someone else, and that someone else slapped a link to his website on Hikuro's fandub, as though he created the fandub.

Obviously, there's not much Hikuro can do about it, and it's often the way of the internet, but that doesn't mean that Hikuro's wrong for being annoyed by it.

Yeah, maybe it was a poor comparison. But you can't whine about one thing and then expect people to not whine about another. Like it or not, DYRL has been ingrained in some part of our lives. After watching the Bluray, I'm actually not that bothered by it. But i can see how people are annoyed by it and where else are they going to come and vent?... maybe twitter... lol.

Yeah, maybe it was a poor comparison. But you can't whine about one thing and then expect people to not whine about another. Like it or not, DYRL has been ingrained in some part of our lives. After watching the Bluray, I'm actually not that bothered by it. But i can see how people are annoyed by it and where else are they going to come and vent?... maybe twitter... lol.

#Kawamorishambles

So moving on. I got my blu ray in......had to hunt the mail man down I missed him by 3 minutes luckily he was still in the neighborehood.

I LOVE the graphics on the PS3 game. Crisp and clean with a lot of detail. Controls take a little getting use too since it's different from the PSP to me.

Movie wise I'm disappointed. And I don't mean that by the edits or anything, they're not that bothersome and I can kind of see how they work. Like the stomping of the head, Miriya's foot puts the camera "out of focus" and the decapitation I think could be now viewed as that everyone got vaporized.

But I don't see how there's a few frames missing of Badolza's head caving in. 1 thing that does get me, was the sudden cut of background music during Minmay's realization with Hikaru. That was just awkward of a cut.

In the end I do feel like they could of done a much better job of restoring the film, it doesn't feel clean at all to me. And looking at comparison shots of the DVD and Blu ray the differences to me are just subtle, barely noticeable.

In the end I do feel like they could of done a much better job of restoring the film, it doesn't feel clean at all to me. And looking at comparison shots of the DVD and Blu ray the differences to me are just subtle, barely noticeable.

I agree with this. When I saw the series bluray, I thought maybe there wasn't enough money to do the entire series, plus let's admit it... some SDF episodes weren't worth thr restoration image wise. But I thought DYRL would get a better treatment. Though I can't say the differences are subtle. In some ways the high definition worked really great but in some scenes the remastering also allowed you to see the scratches on the cels in front when it's moving across the screen. I thought DYRL deserved more of a clean up job since the animation is so amazing.

Movie wise I'm disappointed. And I don't mean that by the edits or anything, they're not that bothersome and I can kind of see how they work. Like the stomping of the head, Miriya's foot puts the camera "out of focus" and the decapitation I think could be now viewed as that everyone got vaporized.

But I don't see how there's a few frames missing of Badolza's head caving in. 1 thing that does get me, was the sudden cut of background music during Minmay's realization with Hikaru. That was just awkward of a cut.

That's just one of the "edits" that people have been complaining about.

Like you, I too think that they could have done a better job of restoring and cleaning up the film. I feel that there are some scenes where the grain is really pronounced and jarring.

I wish DYRL? had the same kind of treatment Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind had on Blu-ray. That film looks gorgeous and nothing appears jarring.

This is definitely not thE "definitive" version of DYRL? to own, that's for sure. I am tempted to almost go as far as to say the HD Remaster on DVD is the "definitive" version to own. I seem to have lost track of just how many DVD versions there are out there...so pardon me if there's a more "definitive" version out there on DVD.

This all goes without saying that I do think the movie on BD looks stunning - minus the foolish edits.

Edit: Does anyone else feel like they might have half-assed this remaster, giving some scenes more/better treatement than the others? I don't understand why they couldn't have made some of the blury scenes sharper. I only ask because I keep thinking about the animes that have been restored on Blu-ray....

Edited by Oihan

I'm glad they didn't remove the grain with DNR or artificially sharpen scenes. You remove fine detail when you remove grain. DYRL shouldn't look clean and sharp like a recent HD show. Disney can afford to restore their animated features frame by frame for Blu-ray and remove the grain without compromising detail, but Bandai isn't Disney.

Edit: Does anyone else feel like they might have half-assed this remaster, giving some scenes more/better treatement than the others? I don't understand why they couldn't have made some of the blury scenes sharper. I only ask because I keep thinking about the animes that have been restored on Blu-ray....

It appears to me that this was a rushed job. I think the new audio track exemplifies it... IMO there are some unnecessary (but not bad) new audio effects in the beginning of the movie that scream "NEW AUDIO MIX" but there's a point in the movie when the audio remaster is not so spectacular anymore. For example: in the beginning of the movie when the VF-1s are taking off, the surround sound is all over the place. In the final battle, there are many scenes of the SDF-1 that could have used the 7.1 mix but all the effects are focused in the front speakers.

Video-quality wise, I agree that although some scenes look incredible, the HD remaster on DVD is less distracting since the contrast of blurry/clear scenes is not that obvious.

I'm glad they didn't remove the grain with DNR or artificially sharpen scenes. You remove fine detail when you remove grain. DYRL shouldn't look clean and sharp like a recent HD show. Disney can afford to restore their animated features frame by frame for Blu-ray and remove the grain without compromising detail, but Bandai isn't Disney.

DNR and artificial sharpening is not what I had in mind.

It appears to me that this was a rushed job. I think the new audio track exemplifies it... IMO there are some unnecessary (but not bad) new audio effects in the beginning of the movie that scream "NEW AUDIO MIX" but there's a point in the movie when the audio remaster is not so spectacular anymore. For example: in the beginning of the movie when the VF-1s are taking off, the surround sound is all over the place. In the final battle, there are many scenes of the SDF-1 that could have used the 7.1 mix but all the effects are focused in the front speakers.

Video-quality wise, I agree that although some scenes look incredible, the HD remaster on DVD is less distracting since the contrast of blurry/clear scenes is not that obvious.

Sadly, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this.