Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force (Thread no.2)

IXTL

Back to the scale talk: Yamato vs Bandai.

Bandai did have the luxury of having full CG/CAD designs to work with so I would expect them to scale properly across the whole line, but why were the version ones so off?. The stuff that was mentioned here for comparison that Yamato made was all based in the days of drawing lineart, so in reality it would look good in all 3 modes in ink, but if you tried to put it together in a toy you would have to make sacrifices to make it all work. So I would expect toys that are designed from an era of hand drawn designs to be off in one way or another.

my VF-17S arrived.. it has clearly been opened and used but is in good condition. It does have loose upper shoulder joints and a few small paint chips though.

Everything else seems fine and tight enough. There is a small yellow paint chip on the right leg and a tiny little mark on the gray visor bit of the head.

I should be able to match up some paint at work to correct these. The yellow in particular as the gray paint on the visor isn't as noticeable.

Its a fiddly thing to switch modes too and I had to refer to Jenius transformation guide on his website. The hip joint rotation was a pain in the ass too!

But all in all I managed to get it all done easily enough.

So what are my thoughts on it.. Its HUGE! especially in battroid! even with the legs retracted to their shortest setting. It just barely fits under my Klingsbo shelf height!

Looks pretty tough too even when in a neutral pose which im forced to do so due to display space restrictions. I have him holding the gun pod foregrip which seems to work well.

There are no tampo markings and the panel lining is also virtually non existent either but I guess it doesnt't matter so much being such a dark color so you'd hardly see the lines anyways.

I do like the gun stow gimmick with extendable cover panels and the movable knee joint filler panels are also a nice touch. But head adjustment seems limited.

Overall I guess I am liking it, im just not loving it. Definitely not enough to justify buying two VF-17D to complete Diamond Force squadron.

Unless I have a huge wad of spare cash to blow and not care in doing so.. So for now I think the one VF-17 will do me just fine.

Here are some pics..

20151002_135608.jpg

20151002_142958.jpg

20151002_143037.jpg

20151002_143023.jpg

20151002_142917.jpg

Edited by spanner76

I am going to get a new one at USD 95 too :)

I like/hate you. You have the luck of location. Would be up for buying items and shipping at cost+shipping for members here? I am sure people on here would appreciate your hook-ups.

my VF-17S arrived.. it has clearly been opened and used but is in good condition. It does have loose upper shoulder joints and a few small paint chips though.

Everything else seems fine and tight enough. There is a small yellow paint chip on the right leg and a tiny little mark on the gray visor bit of the head.

I should be able to match up some paint at work to correct these. The yellow in particular as the gray paint on the visor isn't as noticeable.

Its a fiddly thing to switch modes too and I had to refer to Jenius transformation guide on his website. The hip joint rotation was a pain in the ass too!

But all in all I managed to get it all done easily enough.

So what are my thoughts on it.. Its HUGE! especially in battroid! even with the legs retracted to their shortest setting. It just barely fits under my Klingsbo shelf height!

Looks pretty tough too even when in a neutral pose which im forced to do so due to display space restrictions. I have him holding the gun pod foregrip which seems to work well.

There are no tampo markings and the panel lining is also virtually non existent either but I guess it doesnt't matter so much being such a dark color so you'd hardly see the lines anyways.

I do like the gun stow gimmick with extendable cover panels and the movable knee joint filler panels are also a nice touch. But head adjustment seems limited.

Overall I guess I am liking it, im just not loving it. Definitely not enough to justify buying two VF-17D to complete Diamond Force squadron.

Unless I have a huge wad of spare cash to blow and not care in doing so.. So for now I think the one VF-17 will do me just fine.

Here are some pics..

20151002_135608.jpg

20151002_142958.jpg

20151002_143037.jpg

20151002_143023.jpg

20151002_142917.jpg

Nice pics spanner76. Edited by sh9000

Heard back from HKC

"Hello,

Sorry that I can not help any more.

The business was bad and the website is closed now."

Too bad. That's unfortunate for them.

Edited by wmkjr

Lots and lots of Love!!! :wub:

And who says money can't buy you happiness!? They cost me a lot of money and make me a lot of happy! hehe! you see its perfectly sound logic! :D

You're just saying that to justify your Macross spending spree. Lol Hahaha! :lol:

By the way, congrats on the 17S. ;)

amazing! simply amazing display! :oB))

and 3x VF-11C!!! a small fortune right there indeed! :D

-

Actually, prior to Yamato folding the 11C was super unpopular. I bought one upon release which was relatively expensive for the time, $180 I believe, but the next year I bought two more at HLJ on sale for something like $140 a piece. They weren't expensive at all for many years.

You're just saying that to justify your Macross spending spree. Lol Hahaha! :lol:

By the way, congrats on the 17S. ;)

Hehehe! yeah maybe! actually probably! :D

Thanks mate! B))

Actually, prior to Yamato folding the 11C was super unpopular. I bought one upon release which was relatively expensive for the time, $180 I believe, but the next year I bought two more at HLJ on sale for something like $140 a piece. They weren't expensive at all for many years.

im spewing that I didn't get one when I restarted collecting.. at the time I told myself I was only going to stick to the v2 VF-1 line but that idea soon blew out the window.. and now I spent a right fortune on one.

I don't regret it as its an absolutely lovely Valkyrie and I don't see them doing a re-issue with them any time soon.

im spewing that I didn't get one when I restarted collecting.. at the time I told myself I was only going to stick to the v2 VF-1 line but that idea soon blew out the window.. and now I spent a right fortune on one.

I don't regret it as its an absolutely lovely Valkyrie and I don't see them doing a re-issue with them any time soon.

That's what I thought too on their VF-4G. :ph34r:

I have to say I kinda had the inkling it would happen sooner or later to be honest.. Technically its the freshest of the old molds being the last ship to sail from the Yamato fleet so it would most likely be still warm and ready to go!

And I bet Arcadia are banking on the fact that this bird has strong historical significance and know it will be a good to strong seller especially in Japan.

I have no doubts that a good lot of people will buy up multiples of this Valkyrie and the price will drive up once again.

The VF-11.. not so much. In fact I will be reeeaaalllyyy surprised if it ever actually gets a re-issue at all! But then again the world works in mysterious ways so who knows what the future will hold.