Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force (Thread no.2)

IXTL

Both of mine, the S and new D, have been murder.

Best way I found to open them was actually lift up the chest plate like you're going to transform it, then simply rotate the canopy back without lifting it.

Actually, I'm not sure I've even gotten my D's cockpit open yet... I'll have to check later.

Both of mine, the S and new D, have been murder.

Best way I found to open them was actually lift up the chest plate like you're going to transform it, then simply rotate the canopy back without lifting it.

Actually, I'm not sure I've even gotten my D's cockpit open yet... I'll have to check later.

The sliding post that you need to pull up to raise the canopy before you can hinge it back is so tight on the VF-17D. On my first VF-17D, I actually broke the purple plastic canopy hinge struggling to open it <_<. Luckily I was able to fix it with some carefully applied super glue.

On my second VF-17D, the only way I can get the canopy open is as you said opening the chest plate first. Even then, on this particular VF-17D, the sliding post for the canopy won't extend all the way up. I think the factory workers must have got some glue in there by accident.

One solution I found for those brave enough is to prise out out the whole cockpit interior with a small screwdriver until the glue seal breaks then you can disassemble the cockpit raising mechanism and shave it down slightly, so it's not so tight. I did this on one of my VF-17S.

Graham

Yeah, I can kind of pry mine up now that I pulled up the chest plate and loosened the canopy a bit.

Actually I had a bigger problem getting the cockpit to rotate back for battroid. The peg under the front wouldn't let go. I had to remove the pilot and press directly on the seat to finally get the cockpit to pop loose. Wound up shaving down that front peg, so no problem now.

Other glitch on mine, one of the shoulder covers wasn't glued together quite enough, and it can pop off the shoulder. Doesn't really have any effect on transformation or posing, but it makes it a bit harder to line up all the pieces in fighter mode.

I am impressed that the way all the pieces slide around lets you still transform it without removing the packs, even if one of mine is a bit sloppy in fighter mode. Wish they'd done that with the VF-11 as well, since I think the animation actually shows those packs moving for transformation, so there's room to get the arms out.

Anybody having trouble opening the canopy on their VF-17D?

It definitely seems much harder and toighter to pull up compared with the VF-17S.

Graham

I have always had trouble getting that canop open. they don't make it easier.

Time for some Diamond Force pics.

Graham

Do it. It's a great toy, apart from the canopy being a pig to open on some of them.

Graham

wish I knew they sold the fast packs for the VF-17 separately they have them backordered at hlj.

I finally was able to take some pics this past weekend. I wasn't super creative with these angles. I thought it's be fun to do everything up low-vis style and try to keep to several of the standards for markings on the F-117A.

There's nothing wrong with the angles, the pics you took are perfect. Gerwalk pics are the best, you captured the menacing look of the VF-17, a true killing machine!

Great pics of the VF-17. I have the S and wish to buy a D soon.

I think the best thing about the Nightmare is how Gerwalk mode doesn't look awkward compared to many of the other valks where the nose is really far forward. (VF-19)

Much like VF-1 I like all 3 modes equally and it jst seems like a balanced mech. Only thing missing to complete the badass look is something like a gunpod bayonet like the vf-11B has. I think VF-17 would be suited for that.

I have noticed people like the D more than the S which I don't get. Having gold trimmings makes the machine seem more elite than the silver trimming guy. Think roy fokker's vf-1.

Is there any chance yamato would do the Milia VF-17?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Is there any chance yamato would do the Milia VF-17?

I'm waiting for that one too, but I see Yamato cutting their numbers heavily. The 17D (standalone) and the super packs are sold out now (along with many products that where in back order) and discontinued at HLJ and NY. (17D and packs where in back order for some time a couple of weeks ago, I'm now thinking seriously on grabbing a 17D bundle before they sold out)

Edited by Froy

Great pics of the VF-17. I have the S and wish to buy a D soon.

I think the best thing about the Nightmare is how Gerwalk mode doesn't look awkward compared to many of the other valks where the nose is really far forward. (VF-19)

Much like VF-1 I like all 3 modes equally and it jst seems like a balanced mech. Only thing missing to complete the badass look is something like a gunpod bayonet like the vf-11B has. I think VF-17 would be suited for that.

I have noticed people like the D more than the S which I don't get. Having gold trimmings makes the machine seem more elite than the silver trimming guy. Think roy fokker's vf-1.

My one complaint about the 17 is that giant gap between the forward and aft sections though. I think it needs a sliding panel or something. That's the thing the VF-0/1 have over it. It's balanced and looks like a single piece. Though I hate Yamato's implementation for the hips, it makes Gerwalk gappy because the intake/hips don't attach securely. Also they're solution for the bottom plate that doesn't really do the job holding the back half with the wings up either.

You can't really tell from the photos but all of the squad markings on that 17 were individually and fully cut out eat. I even trimmed the insides of the zero and two so there wasn't any excess sticker anywhere. It's kind of a pain in the ass.

Strange HLJ site seems to say this item is discontinued I thought they just released this in December maybe they are cutting back on their inventory so they don't have to do a Macross sale

Yeah i noticed that too. It went to discontinued status pretty fast. However at least it was available for order for a time unlike the Bandai YF-29 and VF-171 orders, those went into backordered status almost the moment they were posted for sale on HLJ, in fact i'm not even sure if they were ever available for order on HLJ. I've had zero luck trying to get the YF-29 and VF-171

I'm waiting for that one too, but I see Yamato cutting their numbers heavily. The 17D (standalone) and the super packs are sold out now (along with many products that where in back order) and discontinued at HLJ and NY. (17D and packs where in back order for some time a couple of weeks ago, I'm now thinking seriously on grabbing a 17D bundle before they sold out)

Grab the VF-17D in any way you can. As someone pointed out, for some reason the VF-17D is more popular that the 17S. Maybe because the 17S has a perceived larger noggin. Mine is on the way from HLJ, can't wait.

I finally received my stand-alone fast packs yesterday to add to my VF-17S. After opening it up I questioned my sanity for paying $66 shipped for 4 tiny pieces of blue plastic in a way larger the it needs to be size box.

They look nice on my Valk. But I'm still hoping someone from Yamato shows up and offers to clean my house or sing to me or show me a magic trick or something to justify the cost.

So there I was the other day picking up in my hands my VF-17S in fighter mode. Poor thing had been neglected for months atop a bunch of boxes in the corner, next to the display case. After throwing it the air and catching it for a bit to appreciate the cool heaviness the toy has I decide to transform it. The transformation back to fighter had left a bad taste in my mouth but this time…. OMFD Sooooooooooo coooooool!!! That robot mode is an imposing tank and fighter mode just grows on me more and more each day I see it. That weight is a pure delight to hold. VF-17/171 is now my 3rd best liked valk design.

Executive summary: 17 is purty design. Me now buy FP+D.

(I’m still pouty face about the lack of tampo <_<:p )