Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force (Thread no.2)

IXTL

Then I'll give Amiami the credit for busting out the dynamic poses and angles to better sell the 17D. ;)

Heheh ^_^ But yes, Yamato could do a lot better with their stock photos.

I've held off getting the 17S in anticipation of the 17D but the D head sculpt is kinda of "off" from most angles. It's disappointing since the 17D head in the line art is one of my favs. Guess I'll wait till both S and D are on sale before deciding which to get.

One of mine had to be glued down. They only slide back on one way (there's a channel) to ensure they're aligned correctly ... so i'm not sure how wrong yours could be!

One of the boob guns points slightly downwards. It's more obvious if you look at it from the front or compare it to the extended forearm guns while in fighter mode. Anyway, I finally tried pulling them out forcefully yesterday. I didn't realize that there was a metal pin underneath it. It took a SUPREME amount of effort to finally pull them out but sadly, I was not able to adjust the metal pin since it seemed pretty strongly glued into place. To make matters worse, I accidentally scratched off some paint on the guns (I'm not sure how that happened since I was just using the skin of my thumbs) and now I'm so regretting trying to even fix it in the first place. Not only did I fail to align it, I made it even worse.

Anyone know if I can just buy a spray paint or gundam marker or something to touch up the paint of the guns? Is it hard to find the same color gray in a hardware store? I don't know how to paint model kits so this will be my first attempt to do a touch up and I'm worried of making things worse yet again.

With the cost of the VF-17 you'd think it would have come with the FAST packs add-ons, but it didn't.

I notice the FAST packs are sold for almost USD 60.00, It's 4 pieces of plastic that just snap on, seriously! Is there something I'm missing?, at least with the YF-19 they had the foldildo excuse for it costing 60 bucks (and no batteries), what's the excuse here?, the VF-17D would look really good with the foldildo but I don't see it in the add-on package.

Edited by Valkyrie addict

With the cost of the VF-17 you'd think it would have come with the FAST packs add-ons, but it didn't.

I notice the FAST packs are sold for almost USD 60.00, It's 4 pieces of plastic that just snap on, seriously! Is there something I'm missing?, at least with the YF-19 they had the foldildo excuse for it costing 60 bucks (and no batteries), what's the excuse here?, the VF-17D would look really good with the foldildo but I don't see it in the add-on package.

Depending on the VF-17D you ordered it DOES come with the Packs.

But, you only save a few cents if you ordered the bundle pack.

But my response had nothing to do with how much money was saved. This guy asked for that price you should get fast packs. He didn't specify which price tag he was looking at, in all reality it might be the one with fast packs he had an issue with.

But my response had nothing to do with how much money was saved. This guy asked for that price you should get fast packs. He didn't specify which price tag he was looking at, in all reality it might be the one with fast packs he had an issue with.

I'm not saying you said anything wrong, just wanted to point out if you choose to get the parts you only save a matter of cents getting the bundle over the separate boxes. I guess if someone were to buy both it just really boils down to if you want them in the same box or not.

• 1 month later...

What is the difference between Yamato 1/60 VF-17D and 17S their price are much different.

Can I remove their head easily like VF-1 ? I want to make my custom head.

Paint color and head style are the differences. No you cannot remove the head easily. They have multiple swivel points to accommodate the transformation.

What is the difference between Yamato 1/60 VF-17D and 17S their price are much different.

Can I remove their head easily like VF-1 ? I want to make my custom head.

Also you may be looking at the D with super parts rather than the standalone release?

So. Why their price are much difference ? I found in E-bay 17S is 2XX $ ,17D without Super is 3XX $.

The 17S has gone on sale since it's release a year ago while the D still has it's "new" price and hasn't even been released yet.

Yup, I just got my VF-17S from last HLJ sales for $186 plus shipping. It's an one year old toy.

I had thought that the initial production runs of the VF-17S had sold well enough to result in a second production run? Could be wrong, but I had heard that at least the Fire Valk and VF-19S were on their second run by now.

Given the way the market is going, these have probably had their original prices set based on what would be required to turn a profit off of a single run. Say the first production run was priced to pay for all the production costs, plus 20% profit (if even that). Once that first run sells, the company met it's goal. After that initial run, the profit margin increases a great deal, because you're only paying for minimal R&D and tooling costs for any new parts/painting. You still have material/labor costs, but once the tooling is cut, and the production line is set up, you might be better keeping production going as long as you can.

I mean, in this case in particular.. if you've got a factory all prepped to make the VF-17S, and your first run sells out 6 months before your VF-17D is ready to release, do you keep pushing VF-17Ss out the door to keep the factory set as you want it, or do you stop production and let the factory use the space for something else? Configuring a production line can't be cheap after all.

It's probably why we keep seeing a constant stream of reissues of various VF-1 versions and kits. Once you've got a factory set to produce them, it's probably more profitable to keep making reissues while you develop the next version to come than to stop production until you're ready to make the next one. Even if they don't sell as well and get heavily discounted, Yamato only has to recoup the material and labor costs.

Even at a 40%-50% discount at the retail level, you can confidently bet that Yamato is making a profit on every unit sold to retailers (their prices are set with possible allowances for high volume orders), and as long as their inventory is moving they may as well keep production going as long as they don't make so many that they end up flooding the market; thereby destroying demand. It's the stores and on-line sellers that run the risk of taking a bath if they order too many and end up having to offer massive discounts to move the merchandise; but chances are that, even at the 1/2 off level, there is still some profit to be had (note that you hardly ever see a VF discounted more than 55%... that must be the limit of profitability for retailers); anything discounted by more than the minimum threashold for profit is just not moving at all and needs to be dumped to clear space for other, newer/more in demand, merchandise (Yamato's 1/200s and Dou figures are good exemples).

Aargh just read and got caught up on the VF-17D news today. Delayed to december??? Damn, not awesome but my wallet does breathe a sigh of relief for this month and the next.

I already have something in my HLJ private warehouse and was waiting for the VF-17D to arrive before i ship it all out but i guess i should ship it out now since december would be way too long to wait.

Aargh just read and got caught up on the VF-17D news today. Delayed to december??? Damn, not awesome but my wallet does breathe a sigh of relief for this month and the next.

I already have something in my HLJ private warehouse and was waiting for the VF-17D to arrive before i ship it all out but i guess i should ship it out now since december would be way too long to wait.

Yeah man, it's a bummer. This was supposed to be a birthday present to myself. I was really looking forward to getting this one too.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have a guide out there on how to transform the 17 back to fighter from battroid? I'm having a *&tch of a time...

Nm...found a vid on youtube :)

I know somebody on this forum made one but i can't find it. I have a HELL of a time transforming it back as well.

Thanks Veef, I couldn't remember if it was your video or not. This is a damn good reference. Now that I think about it, a pinned "How do I transform X" topic would be really great for compiling all of the transformation videos.

Edited by Mommar