Awesome movie for sure! But somehow...

Am I the only one who thinks that the whole second half of the movie is too similar to TF 3?

1) Set the gate on the top of a skyscraper

2) Open the gate

3) Scouts arrive

4) Fight with scouts

5) Large dropship arrives

6) Fight with large dropship

7) Deal with final boss

8) Capture/finish him :)

Had to look up what a 'shawarma' is. Never heard that name before. Here we just call them kebabs or donner kebabs.

Graham

Almost the same thing!

Kebabs or Döner kebabs >>> Turkish (which is my style) :D

Shawarma >>> Arabic

Edited by charger69

The only part that didn't make a whole lot of sense (within the limits of a fantasy Comic Book world and has relevance to the story) was why Hulk couldn't control himself inside the air fortress but seemed to have full control during the final battle. Even at the end of The Hulk (2008) they established that Banner was disciplining himself to be in control of The Hulk when transformed.

The only part that didn't make a whole lot of sense (within the limits of a fantasy Comic Book world and has relevance to the story) was why Hulk couldn't control himself inside the air fortress but seemed to have full control during the final battle. Even at the end of The Hulk (2008) they established that Banner was disciplining himself to be in control of The Hulk when transformed.

Hulk lashes out at whoever he feels is persecuting Banner. In the helicarrier he was angry at SHIELD for dragging him into the fight so that's who he lashed out against. But when he was free, the security guard says that he saw Hulk aim himself at an abandoned building. When the aliens attack, Banner points himself and Hulk at the Aliens. He's angry at them so he attacks them and not the rest of the Avengers.

Hulk lashes out at whoever he feels is persecuting Banner. In the helicarrier he was angry at SHIELD for dragging him into the fight so that's who he lashed out against. But when he was free, the security guard says that he saw Hulk aim himself at an abandoned building. When the aliens attack, Banner points himself and Hulk at the Aliens. He's angry at them so he attacks them and not the rest of the Avengers.

I can see that, but he seemed to have it out for Black Widow more than anyone else, while i'm sure he had some resentment for being there he seemed more hell bent on destroying her which seemed to go against the more disciplined approach i thought he was going for

Finally had some time off to see the film. It didn't disappoint.

And when I saw the S.H.I.E.L.D fortress transform from a aircraft carrier to an airborne I got the biggest Macross flashback....Transformation! And seeing Thanos at the end gave me the creeps. He's an awesome villain

Awesome. Loved how many little details were crammed in there:

- Thor gets his ass handed to him by his brother’s cunning. The puny guy that helps his girlfriend and tries to save his Asgardian ass is killed in front of him… he feel not worthy of the hammer after that. They don’t tell, again the movie shows his fear of trying to lift the hammer and be deemed unworthy again. Some time past and he beats the fear of not being worthy proving him worthy. No exposition in all that. Great movie.

- The previously cartoony Widow characters gets very developed: we get to know that she started as a little girl. We see that she has difficulties expressing emotions. A very tragic character that can act emotions in her spy work but you don’t know how well she actually can feel them. We are also shown that she can feel fear when he deals with Banner and later she is almost in complete shock after surviving the Hulk. BUT she has a work to do and her work is what makes her human. You can clearly see that the NYC fight is way beyond her but she gives it all she has got.

- How Tony analyses Banner as a person and is the one that is sure that the Hulk will join them.

- How Loki and his stick manipulates the heroes to fight like babies and get the Hulk to rampage.

- Cap focusing on the bloody trading card that just happens to show his more stupid costume. Costume that inspired poor Phil to make his “outdated” redesign of the Cap costume… the guy that believed that in that day and age, what those stupid colors meant was still relevant.

- The relation Widow/Hawkeye that gets build while so much is already going on. The main heroes get their reasons to unite as a team but these two aren’t just mashed together, they have their own.

- Cap showing his loyalty risking a head shot just to reach the lever to save Tony.

- Fury’s sleazy manipulations to get them all together.

- How Thanos, the guy at the end, is the real bad guy. The manipulative Asgardian god is just a pawn and we are shown almost from the beginning. Great set up. Wish the had the licenses of Spider-man and X-men (are the FF out of their hands too?). This thing has measured up to the hype and should go the next step: not just hero super team, but a full Marvel Universe team up of ALL the heroes and beyond like the Infinity Gauntlet story had.

Edited by Twoducks

Wish they had the licenses of Spider-man and X-men (are the FF out of their hands too?).

As far as I know 20th Century Fox still has the FF license. With all the money Marvel films are making, I can't see Fox or Sony letting their options lapse if they can help it... unless Disney pays through the nose to get them back.

My understanding of the licensing issue is that Disney purchased Marvel Studios, however, all of Marvel Studios existing contracts are in effect until they expire and Disney then assumes ownership of those properties (FF, Spiderman, X-Men, etc.). Which is probably why Colombia is rebooting Spiderman even though it hasn't been that long since the last series of films. I think Sony still has FF but that is a flop of a franchise to work with anyway; as soon as the existing Marvel contracts with the other studios expires then Disney should have exclusive rights to everything; that is unless they want to pay out the nose to get them sooner as stated above.

Edited by emajnthis

My understanding of the licensing issue is that Disney purchased Marvel Studios, however, all of Marvel Studios existing contracts are in effect until they expire and Disney then assumes ownership of those properties (FF, Spiderman, X-Men, etc.). Which is probably why Colombia is rebooting Spiderman even though it hasn't been that long since the last series of films. I think Sony still has FF but that is a flop of a franchise to work with anyway; as soon as the existing Marvel contracts with the other studios expires then Disney should have exclusive rights to everything; that is unless they want to pay out the nose to get them sooner as stated above.

Considering the $700 million this film has taken in in 2 weeks (domestic and international ticket sales), you can bet the other companies will probably try to keep their hand in the cookie jar for as long as they can. Even though Disney/Marvel bought out Paramount's distribution rights, Paramount still has TV rights and production credits (i.e. "... in association with Paramount Pictures").

Lessee... Fox has X-Men, Daredevil, and Fantastic Four, and Sony has Spider-Man and, through Columbia, Ghost Rider... not sure if Disney will be chafing at the bit to get that last one back. ;)

I wonder how many of those licenses are based on fixed term, and how many can be extended as long as the owning studio keeps making movies?

Edited by Penguin

Now please hear me out on the following. I lecture 3D animation, concept design and storytelling. I promote inspiration, borrowing, as means to learn and evolve. Though the moment published work in the entertainment field resembles too much what's been done a hundred times, you cap your creativity. That's a sin for any artist in any field. Also I promote that to really reach people, and give them something memorable out of your work that lives more than just a movie season, there needs be a bit of harsh realism. Avengers had zero of that. It was a great comedy, yes, great wanking visuals, but it wasn't anything... new or wow.

And again, it's sad, they missed a opportunity to take a cheesy franchise, and turn it into something cinematically iconic for the comic book industry, which without the films is dying, because they keep rewriting the same stories over and over again.

Now onto the flaws with the film.

I've already spent hours dissecting this film with friends and my students, and the list of errors discussed is too long for me to type here. so I typed the first ones to mind.

(…)

As a epic action film, it didn't succeed as it will be easily forgotten by the next popcorn film. As a comedy, it wins. alt=" :D" data-cke-saved-src="http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png" class="bbc_emoticon" v:shapes="_x0000_i1025">

Anyway, got work to do on this Saturday night. Chat later. B))

Whoops, apologies. Corrected. Sorry for that.

Since for some reason credentials are relevant, let me flash mine like you have (no flaming here, just showing that we can talk seriously in the same level ;) ):

I have worked in modern theatre with directing and writing professionals for several years, I’m a professional journalist with almost a decade of experience and my wife is a published award winning writer with a love for the audiovisual medium. In other words, I’ve learned about the art of story telling from my “mentors” by watching them work and talking with them as well as doing my job

You say that this movie has a very flawed and generic script... well, II say that this is a very character driven and detail rich script :p :

1. A very tight script that takes four characters that have had stand alone hit movies (some way more than others) and makes them work together.

2. A script that not only balances the “three egos” but further develops the Nick Fury and Widow characters turning them into something more than the cartoons seen in IM2; gives the banner/Hulk character a new spin and introduces even a new Hero character that was just a cameo in Thor to a level where you actually end saying “Hawkeye is cool”.

3. Detail, detail, detail. You don’t need to turn your brain off in this summer blockbuster. It rewards the brain for being awake (I go into that below).

4. The movie is a character driven movie where the plot is the excuse to see this characters interaction and growth with each other. LOTR is about the journey of the characters, not the plot. The plot is generic, people make the jokes about why didn’t they just go flying like in the end. But LOTR is remembered because its about the journey of the characters. In Avangers we also follow the journey of a bunch of CHARACTERS. Not to somewhere far away but into a team.

5. It shows that you can make millions also by doing something with quality and at the same time not being Batman or Potter.

Let's say instead of Agent Phil dying mid way through the movie, it was Nick Fury. That what would have a real interesting motivator for the film.

No, no, no. That would have been a “shock dead”. That is AMATEUR writing if you don't follow it up. Here is a trick I’ve been told regarding death: many first time writer’s and director’s works revolve around a death or death presents itself at the end… like “OMG DEATH!”. Go see short films from people who want to look deep and you will find this trend. Not bad by itself because great works can come of it, but it just shows that the creative mind has just started taking its first steps experimenting with the audiovisual language. So recurring to death to make something “deep” is just writing 101 and should be avoided if its there for shock value alone and not adding to the story.

Back to Nick being dead is a very bad script move:

1. At that moment in the story he is the lying spyguy who wants his power back to build god nukes. Our main characters hate him for being lied about it. Hate him VERY much because their previously developed character motivations revolve around those things Nick didn’t tell them (Iron-man does not like weapons, they are THE BAD, Captain A knows that things that came from hydra are THE BAD…). Thor doesn’t give a crap about Fury… he’s not respecting Asgadian law (his fathers law) and even says he wants to build things that could kill Asgardians. What kind of motivation can you get from that “scumbag’s” death???

2. You loose a great character. He is a good guy that lies and manipulates emotions to get his ends. You have just exposed his dirty secrets when you kill him. His “redemption” is that he is the one that gets the heroes to act as a team and shows that the Earth does not need god nukes. He saves NY from a second nuke

3. To rally behind him you would need a script move where someone else spills the exposition: “blah, blah, he wanted a group of “heroes” as a deterrent, not the god nukes, blah, *sob*, *sob*, don’t you get it? He believed in you…”

So that death would cost character and story development to get to the same point of the overall plot. Lame.

Why Phil is the best (to kill :( ).

1. He is not just a shock death; he is an emotional death that helps develop the story and characters around him. The writer has taken the common element from almost ALL the other films that have let to this one and has elevated it as the soul of the group. That is good writing that borders meta levels. People that have followed the film “felt bad” when Phil died. He is not the super hero… he is the nice guy who should have nice things happen to him and be the comic relief. All of this is set up since the beginning with all the scenes with Phil. He’s even there to close some plot holes like Thors girlfriend or Caps “old-fashioned” costume. If you want to nitpick, you can smell something from all the screen time he gets with almost all the heroes.

2. His death further develops Fury’s character: he sees the opportunity to save the world by giving the solo characters something in common to avenge as a team. So Fury going to the locker of one of his best agents, getting his fanboy cards, going to his dead body and smearing them in his blood is all in a days work when you want to motivate a bunch of super being to save the whole planet. Fury gets things done. And is a manipulative bastard for doing so but he still does.

4. Who will you Avenge? Lying spypirate OR that guy who is best friends with your love and with whom you have a history (IM), the guy that has looked after your girlfriend and her career (Thor), the dorky guy who believes in you as a hero, not a defrosted oldguy that represents ideals that have gone out of style (Cap).

5. Detail time: no need to look at the dead body. That is just melodramatic tear wank: Tony shows more with his expression just looking at the big blood stain. Here we see the classic “less is MORE”.

In other words: brilliant move by the writer to turn a common linking element with the films and turn it into the driving force behind the heroes.

The more people think like this, the less our creative potential brittles away to corporate formulas.

Thank you, and nice!

I for once want to see a superhero movie where the bad guy wins. He/sge kill millions of people at the end of the film, and even wins the hot girl. The end.

I want to see superheroes with real problems, like addictions, drugs, affairs, not given a hell about the world but just wearing a cape cause they're paid.

It is so endless to create something new, refreshing, and our reality closer to these films, and give them a longer lifespan than just a summer fever.

And lets add tha in end most of the city did get nuked by it's own government? Now that would have been emotional!

Nope, what we get, another identical script of every superhero film. I'm sick of it. This is the reason dropped comics when I was kid, and moved into Anime.

Go back to comics then. The Ultimate Marvel universe (from which many of the current Marvel movies take ideas) does that. Does it ALL the time. To be precise, look for “Ultimatum”;. It is shock death after shock death; millions die… blah, blah… it is also regarded as one of the worst examples on how to trim down characters. Go watch the video reviews Linkara did on Ultimatum.

Open if you want to see how “original” falls flat on its face if there is no meat to back it up (I talk about comics here, not the movie):

It has taken YEARS to get something worth a crap out of the Ultimates universe. Really, the writer that made all those “edgy” deaths didn’t add anything and pretty much sunk the revitalised line that was supposed to come out of the story before it even sailed. Death is not bad but you need to add to it too. It’s taken a bunch of writers working together years to finally work around the tight corner they were in. They had to kill their Peter Parker/Spider-man to move forward again. At least this time they used the death to move the story, not just to shock readers. If you want plot over character, check the current plots of Ultimate Avangers. Good strong plot with a nice villain but veeeeeeeery lacking in the character department… which is taking it’s toll since I don’t longer care for the characters and the plot has gone out of control due to being too big and ambitious with being “different”.

The Wildstorm universe did something similar some time ago too. I think it’s drowning on its post apocalyptic Earth right now. The base canvas is now so alien that you would need really talented writers to make a monthly title that connects with people.

And the script was messy and loopy.

Like how the Hulk attacks anyone in the first half, and suddenly for the final battle he's a super best friend.

Nope, tight and clean script:

1. Tony knows that the Hulk will be back. Why? Because his character has been probing him (and literally poking) since he met him. He smells there is more to the doc than just getting angry and killing everything. Does it fly over some heads? Maybe... but it is there.

2. Why attack them all? Well, they showed that just before: Loki is doing something… or at least his stick is, the stick that Banner GRABS WITHOUT KNOWING for no reason. The stick in front of which everybody fight like little kids… fight were Tony shows mental fatigue. Does it fly over some heads? Maybe… but it is there.

3. The stick goaded Banner gets…. goaded into the Hulk. Who does he meet when transformed? The femspy that lied and manipulated Banner into helping Fury get his god nukes. The femspy that was shown to be ready to put a bullet in his head… destroying a place that had a trap cell ready for the Hulk. The goaded Hulk needed very little else to go berserk on everything. The other person he fights is the blonde guy that came out of the blue to hit him and a plane that was shooting him. Does this fly over some heads? Maybe… but it is there.

4. We are told that the Hulk landed consciously avoiding a populated area. So Hulk responds with aggression towards people that have shown aggression to him but he still has self control to avoid damage to innocents. Does this fly over some heads? Maybe… but it is there.

In conclusion: attention to small details and visual clues that show more than tell. The basics of doing good cinema story telling. Sure there will be extra scenes for the DVD… but it’s subtlety makes it stand perfectly without them. It will fly above some heads because… well, audiences have been shocked numb with crap like TF3. The writer/director has taken the audience seriously… even if they are watching a summer blockbuster. The Transformers / Michael Bay way of doing blockbuster is what hurts creativity in the industry, not the “good guys win” formula. This film goes to show that you can have quality with your popcorn. Nolan’s Batman has done it and the Avangers also does without the need of being so dark and brooding.

About the “a hero is as good as his villain” thing:

1. You forget that this is not a hero movie… this is a Super Hero TEAM movie. Not joke heroes like in “Mistery Men”, not a pretrained team + Wolverine like “X-men” or a group of friends like “Fantastic Four”. These are all, each by himself, a Super Hero.

2. The point of the story is not “the Avangers save the world”. It is the story of how the Avaengers assembled. The Earth saving parts is just a consequence of that.

3. They not cooperating was their worst enemy and, again, they show it. When they get their crap together and do what he/she does best they kick ass. Doing teamwork. Best part of the movie for many people.

4. The enemy army sucked and they tell you they suck and even show they suck to get the point (or arrow) across. But they are still a huge army that is too much for them in the long run. But they generic enough to show off the real focus of the film: the heroes kicking their arse.

5. Loki does a very job until his army arrives. He is manipulative. Talking to him is already a danger (detail time: in the end you see his mouth has been clamped... his tongue is also a weapon). He does turn slapstick since the portal opens… but he is not the main bad guy. They show that almost from the beginning.

6. You wan’t a BAD guy? He shows up at the end. That is a comic book movie done right. There you have your originality. Years have past full of never before seen inter movie promoting to get here and the crap just got bigger. All that crap before was done by the stooge, now comes the real fight but sorry to be continued… tune in next time. No need to know what a "Thanos" is or read comics... the boss of the bad guy dies at the end in normal movies... he doesn't discover that you exist AFTER you beat his "easy mission" army. That normally happens at least when the beating is being done

Of course this is not the greatest film ever, but I have to really nitpick to get something:

1. Super maguffin forceshield to prevent them just blowing the portal machine

2. The Thor scientist guy building a safe guard to break the shield… but I think he was also shown acting weird… can’t remember but in a movie with this much attention to detail… and there was this weird point to show Loki’s bosses threatening him if he tried anything funny… so him having a way to close the portal would make sence as an ace up his sleeve. I take this point back

3. Cap could have been shown being more the leader I guess… but I like him going out of his way to save civilians.

4. The infinite arrows of Hawkeye… but the writer covers his ass masterfully by making Tony be the fist to make the “Legolas” joke before any movie viewer… and he does run out of them…

5. If you want realism bitching in a comic movie: the widow goes fighting after being slapped by the Hulk a few our before… the whole shiled jump thing… yeah… but they already showed that the alien army sucks and is predictable so no movie magic needed for a Super Spy and a Super Soldier to time a jump or a Super Sniper to shoot an arrow from his back and hit…

Edited by Twoducks

I wasn't that impressed. I don't think I hated it but as was kinda mediocre.

Maybe a movie with a ton of super heroes together was just too much to ask for. It was hard to connect to the characters when there was so many.

I know they are all suppose to be in the same universe but blended to together with aliens from another dimension just was too much too swallow. I enjoyed the Thor movie but he brings fantasy elements that is too hard to believe with the other characters. Captain America, Iron Man & Hulk were all products of science. Thor wasn't.

Black Widow are we sure she doesn't have any super powers? She seemed to be as capable a Captain America in the end battle and had fewer scratches.

Why didn't we see any New Yorkers get killed? We saw Shield Agents get killed earlier. We have laser and missiles landing right next to people and none of them is even vaporized on the screen? Sure some of them had to have died off camera but they can't even show a car landing on someone?

For gods sake. You've captured Loki and just kill him already.

Robin from how I meet your mother she couldn't take 5 minutes to at least clean up those gashes on her head/face? Looks like they found time to sweep up some of the mess from the battle but no one there could give her a flipping bandaid?

So that old security guard. He was just watching a naked Hulk/Bruce Banner the whole time?

I can see that, but he seemed to have it out for Black Widow more than anyone else, while i'm sure he had some resentment for being there he seemed more hell bent on destroying her which seemed to go against the more disciplined approach i thought he was going for

Well, I do think there's a difference between banner freaks out and becomes the Hulk and Banner wants to become the Hulk. It's been like that in all the movies and it's like that in the comics. When he goes after Widow, one, she embodied SHIELD. She brought him in, she threatened him and she re-assured him and ultimately, she lied to him. She told him that SHIELD only wanted his help and then he sees that SHIELD already readied a prison for him. So when Banner is hurt and angry, he lashes out at the first thing he sees which is Black Widow... someone he's already, at best, rather ambivalent about.

Well, I do think there's a difference between banner freaks out and becomes the Hulk and Banner wants to become the Hulk. It's been like that in all the movies and it's like that in the comics. When he goes after Widow, one, she embodied SHIELD. She brought him in, she threatened him and she re-assured him and ultimately, she lied to him. She told him that SHIELD only wanted his help and then he sees that SHIELD already readied a prison for him. So when Banner is hurt and angry, he lashes out at the first thing he sees which is Black Widow... someone he's already, at best, rather ambivalent about.

Nah, Hulk just wanted some of Black Widow's behind!! :D Did you see her in them jeans?!!! :wub:

^^Why does Black Widow's smell like fish? :p

Ew! Lol...

Nah, Hulk just wanted some of Black Widow's behind!! :D Did you see her in them jeans?!!! :wub:

I was thinking along those lines as well. I'm sure Banner wanted to Hulk Smash her, but in a different way of course which only added to this rage...

Ew! Lol...

I was thinking along those lines as well. I'm sure Banner wanted to Hulk Smash her, but in a different way of course which only added to this rage...

LOL!!!

"Hulk smash... dem guts!"

The Avengers are fighting in their costumes for hours. They gotta stink. Especially the Hulk. Say Bruce Banner got a hunk of poop that's ready to go soon. Now when he turns into the Hulk and grows in size does his poop grow too? No it wouldn't it. His already formed poop isn't a part of him it is just a by product. His colon & rectal areas would grow to Hulk sized and that Bruce Banner sized turd would slip right out. Landing in purple pants. Now the Hulk starts run and smash. Mixing Hulk sweat with Bruce Banner's poop. Yeah who wants some Hulk cologne now?

The Avengers are fighting in their costumes for hours. They gotta stink. Especially the Hulk. Say Bruce Banner got a hunk of poop that's ready to go soon. Now when he turns into the Hulk and grows in size does his poop grow too? No it wouldn't it. His already formed poop isn't a part of him it is just a by product. His colon & rectal areas would grow to Hulk sized and that Bruce Banner sized turd would slip right out. Landing in purple pants. Now the Hulk starts run and smash. Mixing Hulk sweat with Bruce Banner's poop. Yeah who wants some Hulk cologne now?

That's good reasoning, Sir! :D

I think it was simply a matter of being genuinely pissed to the point where he couldn't stop the Hulk from coming out vs. working himself up with anger to bring the Hulk out of him.

I'm content with the idea that, like Bruce himself says, he's "always angry," which leads me to believe that his quiet demeanor only masks his constant anger, angst, rage, whatever you wanna call it and that the Hulk transformation is just a breath away if he feels like letting it all go; it's like walking on a tightrope. Or, maybe it's just bad writing, but after what that deceitful little vixen did to him I, myself would've turned much sooner, lol...

What about when the hulk has to poop? Now Bruce has to deal giant hulk poo, but maybe just the stress of pushing will turn him back to the hulk.

That's a non issue, since it would automatically squeeze out during the shrinkdown. The real problem is "green ball."

In Ironman 2, I was left under the impression that the Mark six triangular power core, was deemed was it's perfect evolution. However with the Mark seven it returns to being round?

Any theories on that?

Jarvis had said the Mk7 wasn't ready to speed up the process, the chest from the Mk3 or Mk4 may have been used

Next, at the end of the Thor film, it was made clear he couldn't return to Earth without that bridge device that got destroyed. He appears in Avengers without ever properly addressing that issue? And why did he come alone knowing Loki is such foe? A person should read the Marvel encyclopaedia before watching a film? Right? Even my friend, a Stan Lee worshipper couldn't answer me that one, and he's watched the film twice.

Agreed.

The one line theory from Loki about Odin summoning dark matter was served up to explain how Thor got there. Guess the Watcher/Gatekeeper fellow was just waiting until Loki was caught in one of the realms and then the Assgardians send in Thor to collect him.

Since the rainbow bridge was built once why can't it be rebuilt? Are the Assgardians Zentradi?

Fine Bifröst or Bilröst

Bi being better than a rainbow?

Haha that's clever.

As for the bridge, I'm assuming that it either takes a VERY long time to build or that there is some ingredient used in its construction that is now lost since the bridge was destroyed. Hmmm, maybe they needed the tessaract to be able to rebuild, or maybe it can help them to build a new one, since it serves a similar function.

Edited by Raptor One

Just saw this tonight and I loved it. This was in no way a bad movie and some people just need to learn to have some fun and quit nitpicking. For what it's worth, I do love comic books as well and I thought this was an excellent comic book team movie. I absolutely loved Iron Man, of course.

Edited by xrentonx