HI METAL LOVE THREAD

VFTF1

Contrary to what is bandied here, the hi-metal 1/100s is not a lesser product. Therefore it is just as good as the Yamato 1/60s if not better. There is no evidence that the Bandai is made in lesser numbers as well. To me, it's a much better made product so it's a lesser pain in the ass to keep; even I have to pay more than retail for VF-1S.

I basically meant that I also like both, and I find it hilariously pointless that some dude up in here is arguing with the air about one being better than the other.

What do you think happens on the part of this website that isn't about toys :v

Recently searching at various sites, tokyo hunter still got VF-1A Max and VF-1 Super Parts.

Here for VF-1A Max & here for the VF-1 Super Parts if anyone still interested.

Stock are low but the price is quite high, maybe because it's a web exclusive item.

Almost certainly because they're web exclusives. Could be wrong, but I think these were tokyo hunter's prices for them when they were still new as well. I still find it rather bizarre/ironic that the1A is the hardest-to-get and most expensive of these Hi-Metal VF-1 toys.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, you wished you have gotten that last batch in HLJ. Yamato wished they have made their valks as good as the Bandai's. You'll get over it. :D

Many yamato fans of this board come off as anti bandai since if you think about it yamato cared for us hardcore fans early during the dry years so we owe yamato our respect. However nobody can deny that with smaller, highly-detailed himetals, bandai has shown they can do good toys for those with a smaller toy budget and this is all good news for us macross fans in general because the competitor = more choice now. Now we have mainstream toys, (version 1 mac f chunky munky) the collector grade toys, (over-priced yamato 1/60 made in smaller quantity for desperate nerds with money to burn) and everything in between (models with accurate look with transforming features).

What I would like to see is yamato try to one-up bandai by attempting PT 1/100 toys. They can learn from what bandai have done with himetal and not have to worry about competitor since bandai killed this himetal line.

Imagine a 1/100 yf-19??? Yamato would make a lot of money doing this and I think releasing something like that before a more detailed 1/60 version 2 in future would be good business.

Bandai did 1/100 konig monster and one-upped them there, now it is time to see if yamato can one-up bandai in 1/100 for valks.

Yamato still beats them in the 1/60 category (vf-19 is there best work so far imo) so if they wish to "dominate" they need to start showing what they can do on the smaller toy front.

Wow, somebody has got an axe to grind. The Hi-Metal is no more or less flawed then a v2. It's got it's ups and it's got it's downs. A big one in my estimation is that the Yammie looks good in all three modes. I do not believe the Fighter or Gerwalk (anemic as far as pose-ability is concerned) are any good on the Hi-Metal, the wings are weird and floppy too and the missiles don't hold on nearly as well. Battroid mode is easier to pose and the shoulders are a good design on the hi-metal (plus the hip implementation is cool though I question how well it would work in a larger scale) but the feet on those little metal ball rotators can become EXTREMELY loose (my Hikaru hangs on by a thread.) I COULD put nail polish on it but then... that's a fan fix, like the shoulders (of which I have had zero break, even on my original Hikaru DYRL VF-1A) so that's not perfect. They're both good in different ways. I tend to pose and repose the hi-metals in battroid more. I actually have Yammies in Fighter and Gerwalk.

Like whichever one you like but be realistic about the pros and cons.

The companies are strong in different things but yamato could learn from the himetals if they ever decide to attempt version 3 vf-1 1/60 in future.

Nobody can deny that they (bandai) have the superior shoulder transformation and I hope for your sake and mine, that they copy this in any future yammy vf-1. It really makes the toy more fun to handle.

Take the best things of either toy, combine them together to make the ultimate toy, whilst scrapping all the bad things of either toy. (ie himetal swapping parts, yammie weak shoulders problem etc) Then profit.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

How do you know?

I don't think he does. But, you know, dreaming is for free -except for Yamato that would invest the same amount of money for the development of a small toy and then sell it at half the price of their other lines due to the small size.

Wasn't the lack of benefits what killed Bandai's efforts? I really hope Yamato does not follow that path ...

Edited by Reïvaj

I don't think Yamato is going to fall to that level because they've established a baseline of things like landing gear and being able to mount the gun pod in fighter mode.

Bandai got those 2 elements included in the VF-1 Hi-Metal.

I said it before and I'll say it again - what's needed is a line of inexpensive fighter-mode only toys (IMHO). Forget perfect transformation - leave that to Yamato's 1/60 line. The majority of Macross fans like their Valkyries in fighter mode and IMO there should be a lower price option to Yamato's 1/60 line.

They also did it in the VF100's but we know what went wrong there.

I said it before and I'll say it again - what's needed is a line of inexpensive fighter-mode only toys (IMHO).

We already had the Doyusha diecast fighters and the Bandai trading figures. People who want fighter modes just build kits.

The majority of Macross fans like their Valkyries in fighter mode and IMO there should be a lower price option to Yamato's 1/60 line.

I think the majority of Macross fans like their Valkyries to transform if they are toys because the fighter mode niche is fulfilled by kits and non transforming Macross toys always seem to get swept away at clearance. 3000 yen Battroid action figures sell poorly and the MSRP for something similar in fighter mode is like the http://www.hlj.com/s...croType2=commod range from about 2700 MSRP to 11,800 MSRP. And that is just for things ranging from 1/144th to 1/100.

So a Valkyrie between 1/144th and 1/100 scale in that range of quality would be expensive too, which leads to people just wanting to go all in with a transforming toy for the extra yens.

And transformation is the magic of Macross.

We already had the Doyusha diecast fighters and the Bandai trading figures. People who want fighter modes just build kits.

If people want completed models of F-14 Tomcats in 1/72 scale they should just build kits right? And yet those 1/72 scale completed diecast models sell like hotcakes.

I think the majority of Macross fans like their Valkyries to transform if they are toys because the fighter mode niche is fulfilled by kits and non transforming Macross toys always seem to get swept away at clearance. 3000 yen Battroid action figures sell poorly

and the MSRP for something similar in fighter mode is like the http://www.hlj.com/s...croType2=commod range from about 2700 MSRP to 11,800 MSRP. And that is just for things ranging from 1/144th to 1/100.

So a Valkyrie between 1/144th and 1/100 scale in that range of quality would be expensive too, which leads to people just wanting to go all in with a transforming toy for the extra yens.

The Alter Yukikaze may not have had the gimmicks like Yamato's 1/60 toy but it had way more detailing and it was absolutely well worth the expense. I'd kill to have Valkyries done to Alter's Yukikaze level.

And transformation is the magic of Macross.

If that's the case then why were the Hasegawa kits such a huge hit?

If people want completed models of F-14 Tomcats in 1/72 scale they should just build kits right? And yet those 1/72 scale completed diecast models sell like hotcakes.

Well a lot of people do build kits of F-14s if they want one. It's one of the easiest airplanes to find in just about any scale.

The F-14 is a military and pop culture icon whose biggest gimmick is its moving wings, which any two bit toy can replicate. There's a pretty big gap in terms of market share, chief.

Any given F-14 toy can reach a huge audience whereas Macross is effectively limited to Japan.

The Valkyrie's most recognizable gimmick is that it transforms. It changed the face of mechanical design in anime and how it fed back into toy design.

As a result, most Valkyrie toys transform. It is a design known for transforming perfectly.

The Alter Yukikaze may not have had the gimmicks like Yamato's 1/60 toy but it had way more detailing and it was absolutely well worth the expense. I'd kill to have Valkyries done to Alter's Yukikaze level.

I think you're part of a minority there. Once again I must reiterate that if something is just a fighter, then its audience will mostly expect a toy of it to just do static fighter things. There's no expectation of a Yukikaze having to do anything else than sit around and look pretty.

If that's the case then why were the Hasegawa kits such a huge hit?

Because the model kit community has been clamoring for modern Valkyrie fighter kits for years. That audience wanted their needs met and they are generally a part of the greater airplane kit community. And once again, model kits are cheap to manufacture once the initial tooling is created. Toys require assembly and painting as well as different materials like metal screws and pins.

Model kits can make up initial costs with sheer numbers.

The toy community wants transforming toys. That's what has always been a big part of Macross's success.

Despite what some of us may think, the VF-1 (or other Valkyries) are not all that compelling just as fighter jets. Much of their mystique and draw comes from how they transform. So much effort is focused on the mechanics of making them transform. Just the VF-19 design alone has five different transforming toys based on it.

I question your claim of "The majority of Macross fans like their Valkyries in fighter mode" because you seem to think that implies it means most of them leave their toys in fighter. I think most fans like the fighter mode of their Valkyrie and also enjoy transforming them in and out of fighter mode.

I just don't see any crossover between model kit and toy fans that represents a silent majority who would want these in the numbers they'd have to sell to get made.

From what I've experienced, I've seen crossover between aircraft fans and Macross fans. I've also seen crossover between kit builders and static model collectors. I'm sure there's crossover between those who want transforming toys and non-transforming static models.

I'm going to disagree with you that Valkyries can't be compelling in fighter mode only. Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it. ;)

I said it before and I'll say it again - what's needed is a line of inexpensive fighter-mode only toys (IMHO). Forget perfect transformation - leave that to Yamato's 1/60 line. The majority of Macross fans like their Valkyries in fighter mode and IMO there should be a lower price option to Yamato's 1/60 line.

I think it is more about the space issue than price. Some people actually want smaller stuff just because it seems like the right size. An exxample would be the megahouse mospeada ride armour vs the larger beagle. Maybe people like a whole "group display" on the desk vs 1 large toy? Anyway it's just opinion. I like 1/60 scale, just wouldn't mind seeing smaller stuff tried too. The ideal would be something that tries to be as posable as revoltech as much as possible, is PT, and as good as a himetal in transformation simplicity. (ie the shoulders in vf-1 toy)

Certain enemy mecha also seems more suitable at the small size too imo (regult, gluag, qrau etc) The emphasis here would naturally be how good they are to pose and how they look in groups.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I've experienced, I've seen crossover between aircraft fans and Macross fans. I've also seen crossover between kit builders and static model collectors. I'm sure there's crossover between those who want transforming toys and non-transforming static models.

I'm going to disagree with you that Valkyries can't be compelling in fighter mode only. Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that they transform into batteroid, I would not have enough space to display all these Yamato's @ 1/60 scale. And if they did not transform that would take all the fun away from the toy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hm - I took to the trouble of reading some of the debate about the financial feasibility of the 1/100 line on this page of the thread and want to just note the one reason that people might want to buy 1/100 Valkyrie like the HI-Metals that has been overlooked: Compatability with MG Gundams! As a Gundam fan - I just like the fact that I can finally have a decent Macross vs Gundam collection without having to fork out for PGs (besides - the PG selection is not as rich as the MG selection)...

I think the HI Metals failed mainly because they are still relatively expensive compared to the 1/60s from Yamato...

Pete

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ehm... question.... Has any of you ever tried to remove the head of a VF-1J hi metal ?

I was wondering if I would be able to easily swap the head for a custom made Transformers headsculpt,

to make him look like TF cartoon Sky Fire.

I know the head is connected to a swivel... but the head itself rotates on, I guess a balljoint...

can anyone confirm whether it would be easy to just pop off the head without damage risk ?

Edited by knoted

• 10 months later...

Threadomancy!!

Just got my 3 VF-1a's MISB with the correct color gear doors for retail from a collector in Japan.

THese things are awesome!! O_O

Already have a roy, hikky and max on the way too ^_^

Such a shame this line is dead though... will need to scour for more hi-metal VF-1's to do some customs as these are the absolute perfect size for fun ^_^

post-25-0-56049600-1372358868_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duymon

I recently for the Roy Strike. It is my favorite Macross toy to play with. So much fun on a Stage Act 5 stand.

Do all the DYRL 1As have the colored dot on the backpack? My Roy doesn't.

All the DYRL guys have the dots on their backpacks. Guess when my Roy arrives I'll need to paint that dot :0

Practically no metal in the Hi-Metal, pretty much just the feet. You have to swap out the heat shield and the canopy, that's it. The landing gear, if you choose to use them, are also swap in/out items. Check out my full review HERE.

Ehm... question.... Has any of you ever tried to remove the head of a VF-1J hi metal ?

I was wondering if I would be able to easily swap the head for a custom made Transformers headsculpt,

to make him look like TF cartoon Sky Fire.

I know the head is connected to a swivel... but the head itself rotates on, I guess a balljoint...

can anyone confirm whether it would be easy to just pop off the head without damage risk ?

I have and it was pretty tuff but not hard.

i'll be joining the club soon with a 1S Focker with FAST packs i'll probably be receiving from a fellow MWer in a week or less... :)

Edited by Shaorin