HI METAL LOVE THREAD

VFTF1

So, I sat down to the Toys forum, intent on gloating about finally getting my hands on the last of the generally available HI METALS and...there seems to be no topic thread for them...

While I love the 1/60 stuff from both Yamato and Bandai...let's give love where it's due! Bandai's HI METAL line is fantastic and...Mastergrade Gundam friendly.

And...I again have no clue how to post images now... I tried using tinypic but the "link to a forum" url won't generate a picture here...help! :-)

Pete

There is a thread somewhere, but you know the search function really sucks...

Anyway, I like the Hi-metal VF-1's more than the Yamato 1/60 line for a number of reasons, but there are still a few issues like the loose feet on some. Still, they are negligible and for the price, I would say they are the best valks value-wise.

As a whole, even though I love the concept, the Hi-Metal line is something of a failure, though.

The VF-19's kind of suck -- they have odd proportions, were overpriced and accessories that should have come as standard were exclusives (FISTS, WTF?!). And the afterthought landing gear, Jesus.

The VF-1's unfortunately are shelf-warmers and they made the rest of skull squadron exclusive just because. So even though they showed a YF-21 prototype two years ago I don't see this line going anywhere soon.

I do wish they had brought out many, many more, because it seemed like this line would be great for collectability, but I'm guessing you need to put the same amount of R&D into these as for a 1/60 product, so they probably just want to focus on the latter.

Here's a nice pic:

post-1318-0-15840800-1331811959_thumb.jpg

In theory I like the Hi-Metal line but I think there's a lot of things about them to dislike as well. Both the VF-19 and Vf-1 look/pose/play great in Battroid. The 19 looks good in fighter for the most part too. I really dislike the proportions of fighter and Gerwalk of the VF-1 though, Gerwalk is especially awkward/bad on the 19. I only own Hikaru's 1J but with the fast packs on it does help the proportions of the VF-1 in fighter mode though Gerwalk is still way off and would still be clunky (probably more so with the extra weight added.) I do like Bandai's solution to the VF-1's transformation with the slide bars and folding shoulders, it's a far better/sturdy solution to Yamato's crazy rotating shoulders. I also like the way the hips can extend out for more pose-ability. Overall they have a lot of good idea's mashed up with some either odd or just really bad one's though.

It's hard to compare a 1/100 scale vs 1/60, since there are so many things you can do at the larger scale you can't do at the smaller scale, such as the amount of detail. The 1/100 was a good option for people who balked at paying the prices of the 1/60's, but even then, they were still on the more expensive end of things. The battroid mode for the VF-1 was excellent, but the other modes were lacking compared to the 1/60. What I think killed the line was ultimately 1) price. It was still very expensive for such a small toy. 2) availability. Not only were the other skull squadron valks web exclusives, but so were the super parts that you had to buy separately as well. I really wanted the Hi-Metal line to succeed, but Bandai just seemed to get cold feet over them. Size-wise they would have saved me a lot of shelf-space. But at this point I have gone too deep into the 1/60 scale, that I can't go back. There is no way I am replacing my entire collection with a 1/100 scale should that come out, and I think a lot of collectors feel the same way.

for a gundam fan, I would say this is the probably the best valk available out there. The scale fits, and it also saves shelfspace. It is probably the most inexpensive valk out there that is fun to play with..too bad they were pretty low on production and disappeared quickly.

Ok...but...how do I post pics?? :-) I figured out the "Attach thumbnail function".....

Ok...Ok...cool...now I answered my own question. My thoughts about the HI METAL are mostly recorded in my review of the VF-1J here:

http://dyrl.pl/detale.html?id=994

and the VF-19Kai here: http://dyrl.pl/detale.html?id=967

I would love to get the VF-1A exclusives but haven't really had time to put the effort into it. The VF-19s don't bother me a bit. For the size/scale - they're fine and dandy. Certainly more poseable than Yamato's 1/60 YF-19 - though I am not bashing Yamato here...the YF-19 was a mega superb achievement for its time.

Pete

post-4621-0-07825500-1331830221_thumb.jpg

Edited by VFTF1

Even though I'm a die-hard 1/60 Yamato collector, I picked up all of the 1/100 Hi-Metal VF-1s because I thought they would display well with Toynami's 1/100 Regults (and they do). I even ordered a few extra FPs hoping Bandai might make a Miria VF-1J...I should've known better with Bandai's track record that they'd end this line prematurely. It would have been nice of them to complete the YF-21 after seeing the prototype. Oh well...it was fun while it lasted...

Even though I'm a die-hard 1/60 Yamato collector, I picked up all of the 1/100 Hi-Metal VF-1s because I thought they would display well with Toynami's 1/100 Regults (and they do). I even ordered a few extra FPs hoping Bandai might make a Miria VF-1J...I should've known better with Bandai's track record that they'd end this line prematurely. It would have been nice of them to complete the YF-21 after seeing the prototype. Oh well...it was fun while it lasted...

The one reason I bought the 1J was to pose with my two 1/100 Regults.

I love Hi-Metal too. I just wish that Bandai had opted for other Valks instead of trying to milk the VF-1 design. IMHO the price one would have to pay for the VF-1 exclusives and their fast packs somewhat ruined the Hi-Metal perk of getting near-Yamato quality for a cheaper price.

The 19 mold could have had more recolors and that I would be willing to jump into, especially the VF-19F or even the 19P. So far I only have the Fire Valkyrie and the Sound Boosters and the Blazer. Still undecided if I should get the Fire Valkyrie option parts, which, as everyone says, should have been with the Fire Valkyrie in the first place.

for a gundam fan, I would say this is the probably the best valk available out there. The scale fits, and it also saves shelfspace. It is probably the most inexpensive valk out there that is fun to play with..too bad they were pretty low on production and disappeared quickly.

Like I said, I would disagree because I still see them on shelves.

Like I said, I would disagree because I still see them on shelves.

really?

well, that is true for japan locally..but outside of japan, these are pretty hard to come by for us in the US(at a good price)

I have never seen any VF Hi Metal toy while i was back in Taiwan last summer, but that might just because of copyright/lack of distributors.

really?

well, that is true for japan locally..but outside of japan, these are pretty hard to come by for us in the US(at a good price)

I have never seen any VF Hi Metal toy while i was back in Taiwan last summer, but that might just because of copyright/lack of distributors.

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Word=hi-metal&x=0&y=0&Dae=All&Series=All&Dis=2

The 19's are still in stock in HLJ. But then of course you cannot draw conclusively that there were low numbers because of limited overseas distribution/stock. Anyway my point is that I don't think they were as low in production as some of the other later Bandai stuff (like the invisible VF-25 Renewals). Two years on and I still see them on store shelves. Like I said, they are shelf-warmers and Bandai got wise so decided to limit the rest of Skull Squadron to made-to-order online exclusivity to minimize losses. Sad but true. Even then they never brought out the Millia 1J.

http://www.hlj.com/s...eries=All&Dis=2

The 19's are still in stock in HLJ. But then of course you cannot draw conclusively that there were low numbers because of limited overseas distribution/stock. Anyway my point is that I don't think they were as low in production as some of the other later Bandai stuff (like the invisible VF-25 Renewals). Two years on and I still see them on store shelves. Like I said, they are shelf-warmers and Bandai got wise so decided to limit the rest of Skull Squadron to made-to-order online exclusivity to minimize losses. Sad but true. Even then they never brought out the Millia 1J.

yeah...I agree..I guess i was just comparing them to the more popular and longer living toy lines from bandai...

A quick question though, are the ones found on shelves typically the 19's? or the VF-1's? since there is a chance of me being at japan in the near future, and I really want a 1J..

when i was in japan (tokyo) last september, Yodobashi Camera Toy shops still has hi-metals on racks.. lots of it.. around 6500-7000 yen as i can remember.

my only complain on the 1/100 hi-metal was the feet. freakin annoying loose ball of the feet. but with dub of minute super glue..this fixes it. and also the lack of sticker decals to complement it. ..like no UN SPACY on the leg packs.

as against toynami 1/100

post-9152-0-75820200-1331876373_thumb.jpg

post-9152-0-65067700-1331876383_thumb.jpg

Edited by JET7

yeah...I agree..I guess i was just comparing them to the more popular and longer living toy lines from bandai...

A quick question though, are the ones found on shelves typically the 19's? or the VF-1's? since there is a chance of me being at japan in the near future, and I really want a 1J..

It varies from store to store, but I regularly see all of them. Coincidentally I just saw a VF-1S and 19Kai today at my local Yodobashi Camera. Oddly, they were in different sections of the store... :wacko:

I love the vf-1 himetal.

It's the "high quality banpresto valk" (or mini yamato) I wished for years ago made into reality but at a high price. hehe

I think the one area the himetal beats the 1/60 v2 yamato vf-1 is the gunpod. The gunpod looks chunky on the yamato but it seems more carefully sculpted on the himetal. (ie it looks like it gradually gets skinny close to the end and thick in the middle of the gunpod whereas the yamato gunpod is chunky all over.)

Some people like to see the line art comparison.

I'm curious, did anybody here get Max's 1J? The pics of it always had a very appealing blue to me but I couldn't bite the bullet on another 1/100 with them being so close in price to the 1/60's I decided after the 19S that I wasn't fond of the the Hikaru 1J I had posed with by two Battlepods to skip any more of these.

Some people like to see the line art comparison.

I just find it rather incongruous to see several pictures of a physical object next to flat looking two dimensional artwork. Also not to implicate Anymoon of anymoon wrong doing, but there have been so many renditions of the Valkyries (especially the VF-1) in two dimensional form that I find it misleading to post just one unsourced (to a specific book) picture out of context. Between all the art books, model kits, and reference guides I could easily find at least four different official takes on the old VF-1 side view.

I do appreciate the toy comparison pictures because it shows how different figures implemented different details, which looks tighter, etc. I feel like bringing in line art just has too much baggage attached to it. The huge arguments over show accuracy, anime magic, and the like are partially a result of these comparisons. I'm not saying the line art is useless, but again it's only a part of the character design.

I would have loved the Hi-metal if it had 1) integral landing gear (which was totally doable), 2) a clip-on heat shield instead of a swapped-out replacement for the canopy, 3) a gunpod that didn't require swapping hands/fighter mode attachments.

I the end it just had too much part swapping.

From What I've seen for reviews, it's the same old gripes; No landing gear, bad proportions, bad gerwalk on the 19, no place to put the gunpod on the vf19... etc. I love my 1/60 yamatos, but they're just too damn expensive, and they take up a ton of shelf space, something that is at a premium for me. I just bought a VF19 hi-metal, and I'll reserve judgment until I receive it. I'm also bound by grooming standards, which prevent me from growing the required fingernails to manipulate the small doors. Anyway, I've heard gripes about parts swapping, but nothing can be as bad as the VFhundred vf-25 I had, even my 1/60 VF-25 has some parts swapping. I just wanted a nice looking VF19 that wasn't going to cost me two kidneys and a testicle to own. Also, the proportions on the VF-1 look a ton better than the toynami, of which I own 2. Just saying, the gripes people have are pretty minor for a 1/100 scale toy.

I love how the HI METAL LOVE THREAD is filled with bitching and complaints. :)

It's a thread about something that EVERYBODY has a reason to hate. it's like starting a thread about the flu or colonoscopy and expecting a positive reaction.

It's a thread about something that EVERYBODY has a reason to hate. it's like starting a thread about the flu or colonoscopy and expecting a positive reaction.

not neccessarily,there are people who like partsforming...to a certain extent(like me) this to me is like a perfect valk(that is yet to be owned)

I just find it rather incongruous to see several pictures of a physical object next to flat looking two dimensional artwork. Also not to implicate Anymoon of anymoon wrong doing, but there have been so many renditions of the Valkyries (especially the VF-1) in two dimensional form that I find it misleading to post just one unsourced (to a specific book) picture out of context. Between all the art books, model kits, and reference guides I could easily find at least four different official takes on the old VF-1 side view.

I do appreciate the toy comparison pictures because it shows how different figures implemented different details, which looks tighter, etc. I feel like bringing in line art just has too much baggage attached to it. The huge arguments over show accuracy, anime magic, and the like are partially a result of these comparisons. I'm not saying the line art is useless, but again it's only a part of the character design.

I agree in many respects and feel there is no doubt the inclusion of the line art comparisons is imperfect. Ultimately though, in my estimation, a flawed reference to the artist's concept is better than no reference at all (or the even more flawed reference of a person's memory from the animation). My goal is to provide as much information as possible so that, while my own opinion is certainly present, the readers have enough to form their own take on the toys. For readers who don't like the notion that a toy should represent a certain line art (either for preference of other line art or from the belief the line art some how "got it wrong" as people have argued about the VF-1 battroid mode) it should be easy enough to look beyond the presence of the line art and just compare the toys (although sometimes this means they'll have to open up several pics on their own desktops to do this). As for arguments arising from having a line art comparison, I think it's way better when someone on a forum can point to at least one piece of line art that asserts their position about any given detail. If another member can produce line art that refutes the position at least there's two people in a forum argument actually providing hard evidence to an argument... a rarity in most forum back-and-forths.

I would have loved the Hi-metal if it had 1) integral landing gear (which was totally doable), 2) a clip-on heat shield instead of a swapped-out replacement for the canopy, 3) a gunpod that didn't require swapping hands/fighter mode attachments.

While landing gear are certainly doable they would have had a trade off. If they were present I can imagine lots of people complaining about the chintzy landing gears with the anime-inaccurate bay doors and all the seams on the legs. I don't really see how a clip on heat shield is better than the swap out variety. Is it because you only have 1 part rather than 2? Again this seems to create complaints in the other way as the clip on heat shield wouldn't sit flat and might leave visible tabs like on the old chunky monkeys. I agree it would have been cool if the gun was just a smaller version of the Yamato 1/60 V2 gun but I assume they didn't go this route for fear that the grip area would prove to fragile... seems like they could have pulled it off though.

At this point I'm 100% convinced that Macross simply doesn't have any market left except the high end niche crowd. The main people dumping money into Macross are older men. These aren't men who need or want affordable options. These are men who want a high-end adult collector's item. If they don't have a ton of money for luxury items they'll buy just one high end item rather than several lower-end items. Every effort Bandai, Kaiyodo, Toynami, or Yamato has made to expand Macross into lower end niches has failed. Even the people who could accept a 1/100 scale toy still end up saying they'd be happier with it only if it had all the frills of the high end toys... which obviously doesn't make a lot of sense.

While landing gear are certainly doable they would have had a trade off. If they were present I can imagine lots of people complaining about the chintzy landing gears with the anime-inaccurate bay doors and all the seams on the legs. I don't really see how a clip on heat shield is better than the swap out variety. Is it because you only have 1 part rather than 2? Again this seems to create complaints in the other way as the clip on heat shield wouldn't sit flat and might leave visible tabs like on the old chunky monkeys. I agree it would have been cool if the gun was just a smaller version of the Yamato 1/60 V2 gun but I assume they didn't go this route for fear that the grip area would prove to fragile... seems like they could have pulled it off though.

I'm just listing what I personally would have preferred. I'm not saying the line failed because of that stuff. But I would be a lot happier with chintzy but integral gear, a clip on but non-flush heat shield, and a gun that didn't necessitate two hands and a fighter mode attachment.

Wait a minute, let me read between the lines a little bit...

landing gear are certainly doable...I...really see how a clip on heat shield is better than the swap out variety...because you only have 1 part rather than 2...it would have been cool if the gun was just a smaller version of the Yamato 1/60 V2 gun...seems like they could have pulled it off...

A ha! I knew you secretly agreed with me! :)

Edited by danth

At this point I'm 100% convinced that Macross simply doesn't have any market left except the high end niche crowd. The main people dumping money into Macross are older men. These aren't men who need or want affordable options. These are men who want a high-end adult collector's item. If they don't have a ton of money for luxury items they'll buy just one high end item rather than several lower-end items. Every effort Bandai, Kaiyodo, Toynami, or Yamato has made to expand Macross into lower end niches has failed. Even the people who could accept a 1/100 scale toy still end up saying they'd be happier with it only if it had all the frills of the high end toys... which obviously doesn't make a lot of sense.

Perhaps that's how it is with Macross. Perfect transformation Macross toys are only for those with money. Even in the 1980's, only the rich kids had the Takatoku 1/55s. Commoners like me and most of my friends had to do with the Imai/Arii kits.

Who knows, maybe the future is in easy-build snap-fit kits like Gunpla, the Wave Macross kits, and such, for those of us with limited funds or the budget conscious.

Edited by Vifam7

[...]

I think I agree with that.

I agree with that as well..

maybe us in the lower end section are used to low end yet quality products from other franchises(TF's, Gundams)

the lower end market of macross just isn't great enough...most people like macross because it is their childhood,so people or more willing to pay big bucks. Although Frontier tried to attract new fans, the prices of the high end products kept some of the younger fans away...

BTW, I'm offtopic...

I don't think Kaiyodo and Yamato's lower end products were really comparable to Bandai's Hi Metal VF-1. Their VF-1 was still 7000 yen MSRP. Kaiyodo's variable toy was an awful attempt at the subject and didn't play to the strengths of Revoltech while the GNU Dou was just a lost cause.

I really liked mine, but I sold them. I would have kept them if they would have continued the line, but after buying the exclusive skull squardon I felt kind of meh, Yamato is putting out some great stuff in 1/60 so I didn't really have a need for a small collection in 1/100.