Where do you guys buy anime?

mbs357

Gosh, I haven't posted here in many years. Curious to see most of you have the same avatars...

So where do you guys buy anime DVDs? I presume that Amazon isn't the best. They don't have a lot of what I want and what they do have doesn't appear to be great quality.

Has to be online store.

I get blurays of shows from amazon that I like which is pretty much from funimation. If you're talking about unlicensed anime...good luck with the bootleg dvds' subs. There's the option of importing them from Japan, but 95% of the time there are no subs.

Every time I buy, I regret, therefore bit-torrent.

I had actually DL'd the entire Golgo13 show with fansubs (my new favorite show ever) as they were not available for purchase in the US.

When the show was released (finally) in the US on DVD, to show loyalty to the studio, I wanted to purchase the real thing. They ended up dubbing it with HORRIBLE voice actors. Such a letdown.

Goes to look up the word in dictionery.

Heh.

Lessee, some places to buy are:

Bookoff (though it's a challenge finding stuff, and the Studio Ghibli stuff never seems to go down in price)

Sofmap

... of course, it's always worth checking out other used stores and larger stores. It's surprising what's available in places like Yamada Denki, Joshin and so forth. Not just new, but used, too.

... though, I must add that these days I'm neither watching nor going out of my way to watch what you guys usually define anime as. Unless if you include Anpanman, Sazae-san, Chibi-maruko, etc.. I've tried Danboru and Gundam Age, but just can't get into it...

Gosh, I haven't posted here in many years. Curious to see most of you have the same avatars...

So where do you guys buy anime DVDs? I presume that Amazon isn't the best. They don't have a lot of what I want and what they do have doesn't appear to be great quality.

Has to be online store.

It's nice to know that there are still anime fans willing to buy anime on physical media and willing to support the industry.

In my experience, the best place to buy anime Blu-ray/DVDs (that are released in the US) is rightstuf.com. They carry just about every US release and I've never had a problem with them. Their customer service is pretty good too.

I've also heard good things about animecornerstore.com.

For import Blu-ray/DVDs, I go to CDJapan.co.jp

If you need to know which releases were good or bad, it's probably just better to ask or search at a dedicated anime forum like the one at fandompost or animenewsnetwork.

Edited by Vifam7

I tend to rely on Amazon.com mostly. The local stores here that carry anime don't have as great a selection as they used to. For import blu-rays (primarily Macross, Studio Ghibli, and Gundam UC), hmv.co.jp is my go-to.

I've bought a couple things from Amazon so far...Totoro and Escaflowne seem to have...fairly accurate subs. Hopefully subs wont matter to me soon anyway. Amazon just doesn't have the selection I want and sometimes the quality of the publishing is questionable...

I'd never go for bootlegs because if I do that I may as well torrent it.

Agent ONE. Good to see you are still you after all these years.

I must admit, I did buy all the Frontier TV series and movie DVDs. Bought from Amazon.jp.

If I like a series, I'll support it and buy the original DVDs. The last English subbed DVD anime set I bought was the Votoms set and that was years ago.

Graham

• 7 months later...

Rightstuff for really cheap boxsets and occasional exclusive remasters (Utena, Dirty pair, etc).

Amazon US for anything else thats a US release.

Amazon JP for all Japanese releases because I get free shipping and preordering usually knocks 1500-2000yen off (Yamato 2199, Macross F, Escaflowne BD box, Gundam Unicorn, etc)

Occasionally Joshin Denki Online when I can get a special deal through them via work (Macross tv, etc).

But when speaking of 'quality' and 'subtitles' it seems that the original poster is confusing distributors with publishers? Subs, encoding and dubs should have nothing to do with where you buy something unless, of course, its a bootleg.

BUY ANIME????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously though, some stuff gets released locally here but I don't buy much because:

a) It's very expensive

b) It's hard to find

c) Most anime is shite. (there, I said it)

I disagree with most of it being bad, and just chalk it up to people probably getting a little too old in their thinking, but as far as buying it, I go to CD Japan for my imports, and the usual rightstuf.com, Amazon, Ebay, and even Best Buy if I get lucky enough to catch something I'm looking for. Other than that, I use Netflix to watch a lot of it, to find the interesting shows.

Already mentioned places but:

Amazon both normal and their marketplace have good deals on anime from time to time.

RightStuf. They have a deal section with really low prices. Also, they are in the Amazon marketplace.

Buy.com. Sometimes they beat Amazon's prices.

eBay. I've picked up new condition anime here from time to time. Usually low priced out of stock titles.

I really like to own anime or at least see a high quality version. The recent Psycho-Pass is a good example. I know I'm missing a lot quality wise from what Funimation is showing online.

I'll occasionally watch a (legit) streaming version of a show if I can't wait for the retail release, or if it doesn't look like it'll get licensed, but other than that, I buy. I'd watch more on netflix, but they only have dubs, and screw that.

• 2 weeks later...

So do you need a working knowledge of Japanese to order from these .co.jp sites? I want to pick up the three episode AIKa Zero blu-ray now that bandai has crap the bed in the states making a domestic release look all but impossible.

Depends on the site. Which one?