Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Camera angle, and it’s missing about ten feet of engine and propeller spinner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I get the engine and prop are missing. But the cockpit looks like a kids fairground ride in that photo! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ya know.... the more you look at one, the more it dawns on you just how UGLY the JU-87 was...:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

tl;dr - A B-17 crashed shortly after takeoff at a Bradley International Airport, multiple dead, police commissioner can't confirm exactly numbers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/vintage-b-17-plane-crashes-erupts-flames-bradley-international-airport-n1061161

This hits close to home for me. Nine-Oh-Nine is owned by the Collings Foundation who have their armor museum and headquarters near where I live. The plane alongside their B-24, B-25, and several other vintage aircraft were on a "wings of liberty" tour of New England. I was actually supposed to see them a couple weeks ago before I went on vacation, but the friend I was going to take got sick and never went.

 

I'm absolutely devastated and heartbroken right now. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

This hits close to home for me. Nine-Oh-Nine is owned by the Collings Foundation who have their armor museum and headquarters near where I live. The plane alongside their B-24, B-25, and several other vintage aircraft were on a "wings of liberty" tour of New England. I was actually supposed to see them a couple weeks ago before I went on vacation, but the friend I was going to take got sick and never went.

 

I'm absolutely devastated and heartbroken right now. :(

I saw Nine-0-Nine first hand many years ago. Even climbed inside and checked out all the crew positions.  Really sad and tragic news this is. Lives lost and a rare WWII classic destroyed. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Japanese company is working on a hybrid jet/rocket engine for spaceplanes.

From the article, with the help of Google translate.
"The company is equipped with a unique engine that can switch between jet combustion and rocket combustion. A spacecraft development venture that aims to expand. Currently, the development of the aircraft and the engine is in a good condition for the trial of reaching an altitude of 100 kilometers in 2020 with an unmanned experimental aircraft."
https://newswitch.jp/p/19700

Pretty snazzy paint scheme on their demonstrator aircraft.

cover.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this real? The aircraft is an F/A-18. Japan doesn't have and is not operating F/A-18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Firefox said:

Is this real? The aircraft is an F/A-18. Japan doesn't have and is not operating F/A-18

It's a modified large scale RC plane at this stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

It's a modified large scale RC plane at this stage.

So it's a tiny super hornet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

A Japanese company is working on a hybrid jet/rocket engine for spaceplanes.

From the article, with the help of Google translate.
"The company is equipped with a unique engine that can switch between jet combustion and rocket combustion. A spacecraft development venture that aims to expand. Currently, the development of the aircraft and the engine is in a good condition for the trial of reaching an altitude of 100 kilometers in 2020 with an unmanned experimental aircraft."
https://newswitch.jp/p/19700

Pretty snazzy paint scheme on their demonstrator aircraft.

cover.jpg

Overview of the company via an English language PDF.

15 employees, and $7M in capital doesn't seem like a lot for what they're planning on doing, but I guess a small company is better suited to quick decision making.

https://pdas.co.jp/en/documents/Company_Outline_EN.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Props for going all-out with a lot of little details that mimic the real Super Hornet, when there's zero need for a "not intended to be a true-scale-detail-model" for its purpose. 

(gear doors, mainly---they could be greatly simplified, I imagine, or left off entirely) 

Interesting that ANA is sponsoring it, and not JAL.  (though AFAIK, ANA is their biggest airline now, not JAL) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

Interesting that ANA is sponsoring it, and not JAL.  (though AFAIK, ANA is their biggest airline now, not JAL) 

More interesting is why is H.I.S. sponsoring it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.I.S._(travel_agency)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since it's just an RC plane, it's interesting that they choose F/A-18 over other plane. May be they plan to collaborate with NASA in the near future?

Edited by Firefox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys remember Paul G. Allen, the billionare from Seattle with the interest in WWII aircraft and vehicles? His legacy foundation has been funding deep sea scanning to find historically significant ship wrecks via the RV Petrel. Not too long ago they found the USS Lexington from the Battle of Coral Sea.

 

Well two days ago they found the Kaga after she was sunk at Midway, and as of about four or five hours ago they found the Akagi too. All that's left to find is the Hiryu and Soryu.

Here's ROV footage of the Kaga.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

A Japanese company is working on a hybrid jet/rocket engine for spaceplanes.

 

That image immediately reminded me of the stillborn British 1980s "HOTOL" project; a couple of people that worked on that that are now working on "Skylon", which is a similar concept:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Aerospace_HOTOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylon_(spacecraft)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll be an amazing, if not practical, accomplishment if the Brits successfully develop Skylon.  While it's capacity is significantly less than the STS orbiter, a single-stage aerospace plane would revolutionize how we move payloads into space in the foreseeable future. I wish them every success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Do you guys remember Paul G. Allen, the billionare from Seattle with the interest in WWII aircraft and vehicles? His legacy foundation has been funding deep sea scanning to find historically significant ship wrecks via the RV Petrel. Not too long ago they found the USS Lexington from the Battle of Coral Sea.

 

Well two days ago they found the Kaga after she was sunk at Midway, and as of about four or five hours ago they found the Akagi too. All that's left to find is the Hiryu and Soryu.

1333472860_317933sample.thumb.jpg.ff289f6524395e0758c3637bb756fcaf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, electric indigo said:

The Skylon still looks like a design from "Thunderbirds", which might not work entirely for it's advantage...

Funny you should say that, I've seen promotional videos which have the Skylon moving past very "Thunderbirds" looking spaceport hangar buildings, which was almost certainly deliberate. The name is also of an era:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylon_(Festival_of_Britain)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we're on the topic of Skylon, Reaction Engines have just passed a major milestone as well.

https://www.reactionengines.co.uk/news/reaction-engines-test-programme-fully-validates-precooler-hypersonic-heat-conditions

"During the latest series of tests, Reaction Engines’ unique precooler successfully quenched airflow temperatures in excess of 1,000°C (~1,800°F) in less than 1/20th of a second. The tests demonstrated the precooler’s ability to successfully cool airflow at speeds significantly in excess of the operational limit of any jet-engine powered aircraft in history. Mach 5 is more than twice as fast as the cruising speed of Concorde and over 50% faster than the SR-71 Blackbird aircraft – the world’s fastest jet-engine powered aircraft."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sildani said:

The Su-57, neé PAK-FA, neé T-50, has finally been given its ultimate designation by NATO: “Felon.”

https://theaviationist.com/2019/11/01/nato-code-name-felon-su-57-gets-its-reporting-name-and-it-couldnt-be-better/

Are you serious?  Felon?  Who the hell came up with that.  Of all the F names that could have been used, Felon?  That is literally criminal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little less fancy than the "Frazor" that was circulating before.

This is supposedly the camo scheme for the production aircraft:

73ixnVG.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dorito flies again.  For an unmanned concept it has a might nice looking cockpit there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of a paper football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

The Coast Guard was a little more aggressive back in the day:

wwybgxv2cmmbolnnocif.jpg

Speaking of unusual operators of attack helicopters...

Usfs-ah1-N107Z-bar_complex_fire.jpeg

washington state cobra.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sildani said:

Reminds me of a paper football. 

I'm secretly hoping the Russians reveal their all-seeing super radar so we can get over stealth and back to some juicy fighter designs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 1:35 AM, kalvasflam said:

Are you serious?  Felon?  Who the hell came up with that.  Of all the F names that could have been used, Felon?  That is literally criminal.

Ehh. Fishbed wasn't exactly flattering either. With names like Fulcrum, Foxhound, Flanker and Fullback, "Felon" is just meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...