Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else here (stateside at least) collect those fact files you put in a binder that came in the mail? They had animal ones but also ones for planes. I used to collect them as a kid and watch Wings on discovery channel (not the old school sitcom) religiously. Those two things alongside Robotech/Macross made me fall in love with aviation as a kid. man memories....

Did anyone else here (stateside at least) collect those fact files you put in a binder that came in the mail? They had animal ones but also ones for planes. I used to collect them as a kid and watch Wings on discovery channel (not the old school sitcom) religiously. Those two things alongside Robotech/Macross made me fall in love with aviation as a kid. man memories....

Yeah, I used to collect those as a Kid too; I remember having at least a dozen or two. I have no idea what happened to them.

VFA-101, Grim Reapers, F-35C:

(IMHO, even Sundowners or Jolly Rogers markings couldn't make this plane look cool)

Yeah, despite knowing the importance of stealth in modern military aviation, the old, unstealthy fighters of the 60s-80s will always look a million times cooler than the modern stealth designs!

I'm just going to be the dirty heathen in the room and say it, I've never really liked the YF-23. There are cool elements that I like about the design but as a whole I just find it kind of ungainly looking. I think that's why I like designs that are based on it so much (YF-21 from macross, the X-02 form ace combat etc). Take the YF-23 and give it a more aggressive nose, some cooler exhaust nozzles and more interesting looking wings (stuff that that would probably make it less stealthy) and I love the thing.

VFA-101, Grim Reapers, F-35C:

vfa101f35smaller.jpg

(IMHO, even Sundowners or Jolly Rogers markings couldn't make this plane look cool)

No Sir I don't like it!

@Anime52k8, not everyone likes the look of the YF-23, but hands down it was the better, if slightly more expensive choice in the ATF competetion, the AF brass were just wowed by the fact that the YF-22, which flew last, could fire off a sidewinder (not a contract requirement for the competetion), and had thrust vectoring (again, not a contract requirement, at all). That and the YF-23 was just too different and futuristic looking for them, the much preferred the safer option of what is basically a stealth F-15.

Scary scenes in London today as a helicopter reportedly clipped a crane in misty weather and crashed into the streets; two people (the pilot and a bystander) are reported to have been killed and several hurt. Having said that, the incident could have been a lot worse as it occurred close to at least two major London train stations as well as the M.I.6 building (technically the Secret Intelligence Service building but I doubt that even Mr. Bond calls it that).

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-21040410

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Oh yes---it's absolutely awful. The colors are neither those of AA (which has used dark blue since the 1930's or so, long before they went red/white/blue---you'll note that dark blue was always their "main" color---uniforms, lettering, ground equipment, etc) nor of the US flag. And it has 11 stripes, not 13---close enough to look "wrong" but not far off enough that it's merely "intentionally stylized bunting" etc.

The "flag" is on a pale grey background and the stripes themselves are a white/grey gradiant, all against the silver-grey fuselage. And NONE of those colors match each other---there's "tail off-white, tail light grey, aft fuselage grey, and a main fuselage grey" Get a close-up of the back end---it just looks like a bunch of different colors were used because 4 different people painted it.

Grey titles on a silver-grey fuselage=hard to see.

The logo is an undefined swath of nothing, and is VERY reminiscent of United's 60's/70's logo:

$(KGrHqJHJEMFChPioNCsBQqRKYcjIw~~60_35.JPGAA-new-logo.jpg

"Dear AA---why are you now using the previous logo of your main competitor? You didn't hire someone who knew NOTHING about airline history to design your new livery, did you?" (and it's not like UA is some obscure little airline easily overlooked/forgotten) (after this, United's next logo was the famous "tulip" shield used up to last year or so) (the 4 stars at the bottom were optional and not really part of the logo)

AA has used a bald eagle in/as their logo since the 30's, if not earlier. There was darn near a revolt by the employees the last time they tried to get rid of it (1968 or so).

http://youtu.be/GXEvbzaGDok

A lot of people talk about the Dreamliner but I wish they would bring back a Concorde style supersonic airliner. I know that Lockheed-Martin had the QSST for a while but I think that has been quietly swept under the rug. As it is, I feel like the aviation industry has stagnated to be honest. No more H.Hughes type pushing the envelope. Aside from general upgrades, it doesn't seem like the "magic of flight" grabs people anymore. I'll never forget the old Yogi Bear and the Sproose Goose Cartoon as a kid, made you think aviation was going to be this amazing thing then you look now and see all these companies going bankrupt every few years. Too many providers IMO.

Personally, I think the new American Airlines livery is pretty 'meh', considering I've never flown with them in my entire life. It is bland compared to the iconic "silver bird" livery they used over the past four decades, but it's not as bad as United Airlines' current "identity crisis" livery.

it doesn't seem like the "magic of flight" grabs people anymore.

because there's nothing "magic" about commercial flight. being a passenger on an airplane isn't exciting or novel any more. it's a tedious chore that you only put up with because you need to get from point A to point B. It's no different than taking a bus or the subway on your daily commute.

because there's nothing "magic" about commercial flight. being a passenger on an airplane isn't exciting or novel any more. it's a tedious chore that you only put up with because you need to get from point A to point B. It's no different than taking a bus or the subway on your daily commute.

I disagree.

I think it's still somewhat magical if you get to fly First or Business class on long distance flights. I particularly like flying on 747 Jumbos , though sadly I think most airlines have phased them out.

I think it's still somewhat magical if you get to fly First or Business class on long distance flights. I particularly like flying on 747 Jumbos , though sadly I think most airlines have phased them out.

Airlines are still flying them; and Boeing is still making them and even working a improved version.

I may be in the minority but I kinda like the F-35. If I understand correctly, it and it's variant will replace the F-16 and F-18 while the F-22 replaces the F-15 as an air superiority fighter. I wonder if the F-35 will also fill roles assumed by planes like the A-10 or if something later down the line wil be developed for that role instead.

The F-35 may not be the most beautiful fighter to ever be fielded by the US and its allies, but it is downright stunning compared to Boeing's JSF submission, the X-32; that thing fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down... twice!

800px-USAF_X32B_250.jpg

post-664-0-07548000-1358984726.gif

The F-35 may not be the most beautiful fighter to ever be fielded by the US and its allies, but it is downright stunning compared to Boeing's JSF submission, the X-32; that thing fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down... twice!

That thing looks like it's pregnant with F-35s!