Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

I thought was few other planes with domestic nicknames, but i don't remember. I know helicopters have nicknames: KA-50 Black Shark, KA-52 Alligator etc.

But i'm not expert in that, just a view from common people.

Maybe YaK-130 have M-code cuase it's a training aircraft.

Given the Russian tendency towards almost fanatical traditionalism, especially in their space program, one would think they'd have very nationalistic names applied.  Then again, they call both the rocket and the manned spacecraft it launches Soyuz, with no distinction between them, so perhaps naming stuff isn't  as important to them as it seemingly is to the US and European nations. In his book Endurance, Scott Kelly elaborates a bit on the cosmonauts' adherence to rituals, like stopping, in full gear on the way to the Soyuz, to take a piss on a tire of some vehicle b/c supposedly Yuri Gagarin did so before his historic launch, becoming the first human in space. It's such a 180 degree mindset from how NASA conducts business, and it struck Kelly as  something out of the norm, breaking the sterility of their suits, but he did so willingly out of deference and friendship with his Russian compatriots. The cosmonauts also shared an important life lesson with Scott: eating dill reduces flatulence, which is a handy thing to know when you're about to be enclosed for months on end in an orbiting tin can. For passing along that gem, you're welcome!:p

I’ve heard they were pleased with “Fulcrum” as well. 

There are other Russian aircraft with names; the Beriev Be-12 flying boat is called the “Tchaika” thanks to its gull wing, I think the Tu-160 strategic bomber is the “White Swan” for pretty obvious reasons. 

On 11/17/2019 at 8:41 AM, Shadow said:

I recall in Jane's USNF the Su-34 getting the unflattering but appropriate callsign "Platypus" in the manual. I'm assuming this was before NATO designated as Fullback and the game designers needed to call it something.

It might have been unflattering, but it literally fits considering the duckbill nose on that plane, but aesthetics I find is a matter of personal preference, Su-34 was the most flattering version of the Flanker line in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Japanese MoD are allocating 28 billion yen towards full scale development of the "Next Fighter" program, aka the long awaited F-3.

Key technologies to be worked on include the ability to network with unmanned aircraft similar to Boeing's Loyal Wingmen,

https://www.mod.go.jp/j/yosan/yosan_gaiyo/2020/yosan.pdf

F3.png

Well, unless another radical advancement happens to improve stealth characteristics, this is the basic shape of things to come. Still not as pretty as the YF-23, but really, what is?^_^

4 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Well, unless another radical advancement happens to improve stealth characteristics, this is the basic shape of things to come. Still not as pretty as the YF-23, but really, what is?^_^

Looks like a nice blend of the 22 and 23

Chris

On 12/23/2019 at 4:07 AM, ErikElvis said:

Getting back into rc planes.  Picked up one of these. I have not flown in 10 years so better take it slow as to not dump it into the ground. 

F5D2DEC9-06DB-49B2-BCE0-0AC008A06038.jpeg

They are awesome! My brother had one and it was very easy to fly. His only prior RC flying experience was one of those Cessna looking training planes. He did crash the 262 a couple of times but it was easy to fix. 

Nope, replica, sorry.  (at least the Fw190A is)  (though many of that batch of replicas do have some original, un-used, factory-fresh parts in them) 

I'm curious about the 4-bladed prop though---most replicas have a 3-blade one very similar to the original.  

Well that is disappointing. Talking with the pilot he didn’t indicate that it was a replica. We’ve had a few Mustangs and a Corsair come through as well. I do remember that one of the Mustangs did have a marking on the rear indicating it was an authentic P-51. I’ll have to check my pictures to see if I have an image of it.

Chris

20 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

I've seen that Me262.  (the real one).  :) 

As have I, at the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in OR, home to the Hughes H-4 Hercules, more commonly known as the Spruce Goose, a derisive nickname that Hughes despised. The museum had a really nice collection of aircraft, including an SR-71 without barriers, so you can walk up to the aircraft and touch it (I did), an AH-1 Cobra, a MiG-29, a number of WWII aircraft, Cold War aircraft, various helicopters, and even a Titan Missile. If you're in OR, and you like planes and space stuff, I highly recommend paying a visit.

The Hercules experience was mildly disappointing, as you have to pay extra to enter the flight deck, which we didn't do, and the vast majority of the aircraft's interior is sadly off limits to visitors. But the plane itself is quite the spectacle, especially considering that it's made almost entirely of wood- some incredible craftsmanship on display. It's such an impressive and audacious feat of engineering, and quite lamentable that all that hard work building her culminated in only one single short flight. 

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

As have I, at the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in OR,

Erm, I believe the R/C 262 is a copy of the one at the Smithsonian, which is the one I saw.(I quick googled the serial number to check)  Is there a very-similar-looking 262 at Evergreen?  

On 12/21/2019 at 11:40 PM, AN/ALQ128 said:

The Japanese MoD are allocating 28 billion yen towards full scale development of the "Next Fighter" program, aka the long awaited F-3.

Key technologies to be worked on include the ability to network with unmanned aircraft similar to Boeing's Loyal Wingmen,

https://www.mod.go.jp/j/yosan/yosan_gaiyo/2020/yosan.pdf

Gotta stay connected to those "Cygnus" Multidrones to protect Walkure.  I wonder what the Gerwalk mode will look like.

On 12/25/2019 at 10:44 AM, David Hingtgen said:

Erm, I believe the R/C 262 is a copy of the one at the Smithsonian, which is the one I saw.(I quick googled the serial number to check)  Is there a very-similar-looking 262 at Evergreen?  

Not the same paint job, no.  I visited the Aviation museum of the Smithsonian years ago, and may have seen it there, but with so much time having elapsed, I couldn't say with any certainty. The posted pic is the Evergreen Museum's, with the H-4's tail in the background.

evergreenmuseum-11.jpg

Edited by M'Kyuun

On 12/25/2019 at 11:44 AM, M'Kyuun said:

The Hercules experience was mildly disappointing, as you have to pay extra to enter the flight deck, which we didn't do, and the vast majority of the aircraft's interior is sadly off limits to visitors.

I debated with my brother about paying extra for the cockpit tour back in September and ended up doing it. It was well worth the experience if you can afford it as they let you sit in the pilots seat and touch the controls. One of the best memories of the trip.

As for the ME262 there, yes it's a replica. A good one at that. I think the only real one I've ever seen is the one at the USAF Museum in Dayton. 

46156384_2036386419740322_5844855911763410944_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looks just like the B-2.  I think American engineers have hit a threshold for stealthy design.  Kinda takes the wind out of your sails when every new design looks like a clone of the last.

39 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Looks just like the B-2.  I think American engineers have hit a threshold for stealthy design.  Kinda takes the wind out of your sails when every new design looks like a clone of the last.

Despite external appearances from a single angle render, there actually are quite a few changes to the aircraft, especially "under the hood."  Also, when it comes to larger aircraft, like bombers, you generally don't see a ton of design innovation from one generation to the next.  Look at the older bombers of the late 40s to mid-50s, they all followed roughly the same design layout.  There was more innovation in there in the 60s as the desire for supersonic bombers came about, but most of the projects were short lived.  Then again in the 70s with the B-1, which was really an outgrowth of the XB-70 in many ways.  That the B-21 is largely of similar design, yet refined, from the B-2 is to be expected for the next heavy bomber, why change what works?

Also, there are significant differences, the large intakes are gone from over the wing, and replaced with a far more flush design.  The planform also has some changes as well as the bomb bay configuration.  Though based on the RFP the biggest improvments will be for the crew and cockpit, making the fact that it flies 24+hr missions easier on the crew.

34 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

Despite external appearances from a single angle render, there actually are quite a few changes to the aircraft, especially "under the hood."  Also, when it comes to larger aircraft, like bombers, you generally don't see a ton of design innovation from one generation to the next.  Look at the older bombers of the late 40s to mid-50s, they all followed roughly the same design layout.  There was more innovation in there in the 60s as the desire for supersonic bombers came about, but most of the projects were short lived.  Then again in the 70s with the B-1, which was really an outgrowth of the XB-70 in many ways.  That the B-21 is largely of similar design, yet refined, from the B-2 is to be expected for the next heavy bomber, why change what works?

Also, there are significant differences, the large intakes are gone from over the wing, and replaced with a far more flush design.  The planform also has some changes as well as the bomb bay configuration.  Though based on the RFP the biggest improvments will be for the crew and cockpit, making the fact that it flies 24+hr missions easier on the crew.

Yeah, its not really a downsized B-2, there's been some changes.

Sketch analysis included done by Guy Norris and Steve Trimble.

EPpUoDeVUAAGapX.jpg

Was the B-2 really a Heavy Bomber? I thought it was more of an infiltration Bomber to knock out some key infrastructure to pave the way for the 52’s to just lay waste to everything else.

Chris

edit: Whoops, just looked up it’s payload...I was WAY OFF..disregard.

Edited by Dobber