Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

After struggling to get up to speed on my tomcat, it'll be nice to fly a fly-by-wire-Falcon for a change.

2 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

How old IS the F-16? I always feel like it's 20 years old, max, no matter how much time goes by. But then I also can't accept that the F-22 was basically made in 1990 or thereabouts, so maybe I just have a poor sense of time...

20 years or 50 years, some planes are just classics.  Growing up in the end of the cold war era, my personal favorites will always be the F teens series.  If I had to rank it in sequence, it would be F-14 (cause duh, Top Gun, and Macross), F-15 (because like the ad for F-15E in Jane's Aircraft says: shots down whatever is up, blows up whatever is down... America, F**K YEAH), F-16 (mainly because of the never realized -XL), and the F-18s (although I do like the Rhinos better than the Hornets)

Then there are the Hellcats, the Zero, the Lightning, etc.

The F-16 as a design always came off like a well crafted samurai sword. Although it got "bulgier" as new tech was added. Still, not bad for an airframe that's been around since 1976.

While I'd like to pick it up, I'll wait for more of its features to be completed (A-G radar, Litening II pod, etc). I learned my lesson with the Hornet in DCS.

34 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

How old IS the F-16? I always feel like it's 20 years old, max, no matter how much time goes by. But then I also can't accept that the F-22 was basically made in 1990 or thereabouts, so maybe I just have a poor sense of time...

To put that in perspective: the YF-16 had a fly-off against the YF-17 (just like Macross Plus*).  The rejected YF-17 design was reworked into the F-18.

* technically M+'s "Project Super Nova" is based on the YF-22/YF-23 fly-off, and the lesser known "Project Nova" was the flyoff between the VF-11 and VF-14 (arguable based on the YF-16/YF-17 fly-off). ;)

Edited by sketchley

6 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

67351745_2934624249897423_40546346485363

New scheme?  Metallic paint?

Looks like an F-22 and the F-23 got together, had an unwanted stepchild, and then they tried to glue on some pieces from an old F-14 and a Typhoon to pretty it up. 

Edited by kalvasflam

13 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Looks like an F-22 and the F-23 got together, had an unwanted stepchild, and then they tried to glue on some pieces from an old F-14 and a Typhoon to pretty it up. 

Yeah, but it LOOKS cool. And a pilot's ego is the most effective thing there is, as Top Gun taught us all. 

On 7/26/2019 at 9:56 PM, sketchley said:

To put that in perspective: the YF-16 had a fly-off against the YF-17 (just like Macross Plus*).  The rejected YF-17 design was reworked into the F-18.

* technically M+'s "Project Super Nova" is based on the YF-22/YF-23 fly-off, and the lesser known "Project Nova" was the flyoff between the VF-11 and VF-14 (arguable based on the YF-16/YF-17 fly-off). ;)

Yes, true. But unlike the VF-22, a production F-23 never got to see the light of day once Lockheed was chosen as the winner.

Edited by Shadow

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

Yeah, but it LOOKS cool. And a pilot's ego is the most effective thing there is, as Top Gun taught us all. 

Wait....you think that thing looks cool!??? Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder as I think it is one of the ugliest monstrosities to take to the air if the past several decades. :bad:

Chris

I think the "beauty" of fighter aircraft is just like women, every guy is going to like something a little different. Most of us that grew up in the 80's on Top Gun/Iron Eagle/Macross/TFer's etc., will always think that the F-16, F-14, F-15, F-4's/SR-71 and alike are some of the best looking planes every designed.  The new stuff is fine and dandy and certainly stealthy looking, but I'm not quite sure I'd call an F-117/F-22/F-35 pretty....I always thought the F-111 was an extremely pretty aircraft, but I'm a sucker for swing wings. 

p.s. I was on a job Friday out on the west side of Fort Worth with clear blue sky's and sunshine basically across the highway from the end of the runway of the Lockheed/NAS facility, a couple of F-35's were doing touch and goes and screaming right over our heads. Then a couple of F-16's were doing the same. It was a great day! :D

Edited by derex3592

I agree, the teen series are some of the best “Looking” fighter aircraft of all time. I’d through the F-4 in there too. Phantoms just looks so rugged and mean to me. Almost like if a fighter fan designed it. I do like several “Modern” designs....really the only ones that come to mind that I actively dislike the looks of.....ALOT.....are the F-35 and the J-20.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

You know, this is all Lockheed's fault that we end up with an entire generation of designs that looks alike.  And of course, China and Russia has to copy these designs, meaning the F-22 and the F-35.  And don't get me started on the design that Airbus is putting together.  It's like common sense went out the window or something.

I suppose it could've been worse, they could've selected the X-32, and all the designs could've looked like that.

I can't believe the sleekness of fighter design is going to depend on Boeing.  I hope the FCA looks a lot better than the current crop.

Funny thing.....I actually like the looks of the X-32 more than the F-35. I’m probably the only person on the planet that liked the 32. :pardon:

Honestly, it reminds me of the Saber

914122DF-BEE2-448E-9480-3CE787F6DD27.jpeg.7aa7846e2b601f90254ee08325b15f11.jpeg

Chris

Edited by Dobber

The J-21 is not a bad looking plane, but it is definitely a missile truck from the look of it.  Get in fast, dump your missiles on target, get a quick turn around and beat feat out.  Despite the Canards it is likely not supermaneuverable.  But it is far from ugly.

The F-32 production concept was honestly a nice looking plane that would have looked perfect beside it's forefathers: the F-86, F-8 and A-7.

I have long said that the JSF program should have stayed a technology development project, with the core technologies:  Engines, sensors, radar, weapons, etc... getting farmed out to other companies to produce the actual airframes.  In that scheme:
The Air Force would get its F-35.  There was clear bias on the USAF leadership in that direction.
The Navy/Royal Navy would get the F-32.  The design was far more suited to carrier based operations.
The Marine Corps would either get the VTOL F-32, or that McD (IIRC) JSF concept with the canards.
The tech could then have been further farmed out for a proper F-14 follow on, not that Super Hornet is a bad plane, but it's no Tomcat.  The Air Force could have even pushed the tech into an F-15/F-22 successor and even an A-10 successor (though we all know the Army wants that role).

The F-32 concept definitely reminds me of the F-8 if blended with an F-22 and comes off as the sturdier design compared to the F-35. If the Navy had decided to focus on a "true" successor to the Tomcat and build a medium to heavy class fighter, I wonder if they'd have focused also on a successor to the AIM-54 Phoenix with more of a focus on anti-ballistic missile capability. I believe the AIM-152 AAAM was one attempt.

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

The F-32 concept definitely reminds me of the F-8 if blended with an F-22 and comes off as the sturdier design compared to the F-35. If the Navy had decided to focus on a "true" successor to the Tomcat and build a medium to heavy class fighter, I wonder if they'd have focused also on a successor to the AIM-54 Phoenix with more of a focus on anti-ballistic missile capability. I believe the AIM-152 AAAM was one attempt.

Not sure if an aircraft launched ABM would be as responsive and effective as a ship-based ABM.

58 minutes ago, Vifam7 said:

Not sure if an aircraft launched ABM would be as responsive and effective as a ship-based ABM.

Anti-ballistic will always be a ship or land based missiles and systems.  Though the Navy may have toyed with the idea of an air launched ABM, putting it on a fighter aircraft would be impractical.  

12 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

I like the theoretical production F-32

Ddgec4SVMAAulnC?format=jpg&name=4096x409

DdgegjkVQAAxMNK?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Honestly, these are the best renders I've ever seen of it... maybe painting the airframe white was their biggest error....

8 minutes ago, slide said:

Honestly, these are the best renders I've ever seen of it... maybe painting the airframe white was their biggest error....

no, the big mistake was angling the intake forward so it had a stupid grin all the time.

Nah. Their biggest mistakes were building one prototype, being unable to build the second one, and stating the production model would be significantly different than the prototype-almost a full redesign.