Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

Might as well be a brand new designation, there’s way too much different to simply be a “tweak” of the current Apache.

Makes me wonder if the Army is taking a page out of the Navy’s book regarding the Hornet/Super Hornet. 

This will be a competitor to that design.  And I bet one of the selling points will the similarity to the existing Apache in terms of much of the interior systems, along with a higher payload amount compared to the Sikorsky Proposal.  But it is kind of a moot point, as both companies are owned by  Boeing, so no matter which one goes forward, Boeing wins.  Boeing will want the Apache follow on to win, as they are the sole manufacturer, whereas the Sikorsky-Boeing they will have to split the work and the money.  Though I do think the Sikorksy is the better design.

I was having a discussion elsewhere and I really want your guys opinions on the subject of space planes...

We really aren't that far off from the point where airlines, corporations, and nations with small economies can afford to start sending up passenger craft, light transports, and generally putting whatever anybody wants into orbit are we? Ten to fifteen years maybe less?

Just looking at that stratolaunch on the previous page got me thinking that the relatively low cost of essentially building a space X type space plane and staplegunning two 747's together isn't as insurmountable as say a orbiter shuttle or multi-stage rocket used to be.

Realistically, due to regulations, we are looking at 20 years before a true reusable "space plane" will be available for commercial usage.  That include BFR.  Assuming SpaceX get's BFR flying on schedule it's launches will be dedicated to Moon and Mars missions for the foreseeable future.  In large part this is due to infrastructure, that doesn't exist, and ensuring the systems are all safe enough for commercial passenger transport.

Even using Stratolaunch will take time as there are not a lot of airports that can support the air and space craft.  You will see military usage of BFR, or Stratolaunch based designs hitting the world in less than 10 years, but those will likely not be reusable, more like special operations insertion craft that are destroyed after usage, or have a minimal return to base capability.

On 5/15/2019 at 9:55 PM, Sildani said:

Might as well be a brand new designation, there’s way too much different to simply be a “tweak” of the current Apache.

Makes me wonder if the Army is taking a page out of the Navy’s book regarding the Hornet/Super Hornet. 

gotta try whatever they can to wring money outa the senate committees, eh?

3 hours ago, slide said:

gotta try whatever they can to wring money outa the senate committees, eh?

Cue the F-15EX, although I really like that idea.  Realistically, having commonality of parts is not a bad idea.  I am curious though about the similarities in flight control between the AH-64 and Its follow on, might make it easier for pilot transition.

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Cue the F-15EX, although I really like that idea.  Realistically, having commonality of parts is not a bad idea.  I am curious though about the similarities in flight control between the AH-64 and Its follow on, might make it easier for pilot transition.

one thing is for certain: more flight computers.

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

No kidding, AH64 is one of the most maintenance intensive aircraft all around.

at this point, with the Zulu model to consider, are there any practical benefits with AH-64 over AH-1? range/loiter-time maybe?

While I like the “nick-name” Viper....it’s starting to annoy me how much it is used as if it is the official name. So when DCS makes an F-15E sim will they call it the “Mud-Hen?” 

Chris

I see that they are still quoting the angled seat fallacy.  While the seat angle does help with G-Tolerance that is not why it is at that angle.  It is at an angle because it otherwise would not have fit inside the canopy as designed, and angling the seat was the simplest, and cheapest, solution.

Sad news guys. Last night a tornado tore through Dayton Ohio and hit the USAF museum. I'm not sure how much damage was done, but the early years hangar has been closed off for repairs for the time being. :(

Here's a list of what was in that hangar.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Early-Years-Gallery/

Some pretty rare stuff like the only remaining Martin B-10, and one of only two remaining original Caprioni Ca.36 WWI bombers.

On 5/25/2019 at 7:07 AM, Dobber said:

While I like the “nick-name” Viper....it’s starting to annoy me how much it is used as if it is the official name. So when DCS makes an F-15E sim will they call it the “Mud-Hen?” 

Chris

I have to wonder if it's too avoid potential legal issues with the Falcon series as most of their other modules use the official designations.

On 5/25/2019 at 6:07 AM, Dobber said:

While I like the “nick-name” Viper....it’s starting to annoy me how much it is used as if it is the official name.

The F-16 pilots all call it that, because it was the original name, and the story goes that some egg-head named it "fighting falcon" after the USAF Academy mascot... rendering the "Official" moniker lame, thus: Viper to her pilots:

[language warning]

[Verse 5]
Yeah, all you f**kers wish you flew the Viper
Probably since the time you wore a diaper
We got every mission that you do
And we fly 'em all better than you

'Cause we're single seat, multi-role
We can fly right up our own as**ole

No, not a nerd, an Air Force Sergeant won a “Name the Plane” competition the AF ran for its servicemembers when the F-16 was new. “Fighting” was added to avoid any confusion with the Dassault business jet line. 

Edited by Sildani

9 hours ago, Sildani said:

No, not a nerd, an Air Force Sergeant won a “Name the Plane” competition the AF ran for its servicemembers when the F-16 was new. “Fighting” was added to avoid any confusion with the Dassault business jet line. 

I've literally never heard that explanation...

**Further digging**

Huh!

http://www.f-16.net/articles_article10.html

Four years earlier, in 1976, the Department of the Air Force had organized a "Name-the-Plane Contest" for the F-16 at MacDill AFB in Florida. The winning entry was submitted by TSgt. Joseph A. Kurdell, the Photo Sensor Shop Supervisor for the 1st TFW A&E sqn.

On May 11th, 1976, TSgt. Kurdell received an official letter from the Department of the Air Force, congratulating him for submitting the prize-winning entry in the "Name-the-Plane Contest", winning him a free dinner at the MacDill NCO Mess.

Definitely an egg-head, though ;) :D

egg·head
/ˈeɡˌhed/
noun INFORMAL
  1. a person who is highly academic or studious; an intellectual.
    "the TV egghead who brought science to the masses"
    synonyms: intellectual, intellect, bluestocking, thinker, academic, scholar, sage;
Edited by slide

Had originally thought the upgraded F414 was abandoned by the Navy but it looks like the Super Hornet and Growler are going to be getting a needed bump in power.

https://defence-blog.com/news/ge-awarded-new-contract-engine-production-f-18e-f-ea-18g-aircraft.html

On 6/2/2019 at 12:01 PM, Shadow said:

Does the F-35 not have a traditional HUD or is it all in the helmet now?

You'd be correct, there is no traditional reflector sight HUD in the F-35. Its all in the helmet mounted display.

https://www.rockwellcollins.com/Products-and-Services/Defense/Avionics/Displays-and-Controls/Helmet-Mounted-Displays/F-35-Gen-III-Helmet-Mounted-Display-System.aspx

On 6/2/2019 at 8:51 AM, AN/ALQ128 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF7FSDpFYSs

Cockpit cam footage released by the F-35 Demo team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zbi8FrtczA

Here's a neat breakdown of the air show demonstration manoeuvres shown in the earlier cockpit cam video, narrated by the pilot himself.

Should have posted this yesterday...

So, since Dec 2018, Mikey McBryan of Buffalo Airways fame has been shepherding the revival of a WWII Veteran, a DC-3 that flew during the D-Day landings. She hadn't flown for nearly three decades and was in pretty poor shape.

dc-3-plane-in-montreal.jpeg

Under the title of Plane Savers, he has been filming 156 episodes detailing the task of getting this old beauty back into the air on the 75th Anniversary of D-Day. Of course, happy to say they pulled it off!

If you haven't seen them yet, and love the stories of these grand warriors being saved and put back into the air, then watch Plane Savers on youtube.

Edited by Thom