Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

4 hours ago, mickyg said:

Yeah, the metallic sheen on the stealth planes is bizarre, to say the least.  I had the rare chance to see both the '35 and '22 up close at an airshow 2 years ago and they're definitely not the same coating.  But in both cases, I think you can achieve something convincing with a scale model by mixing metallic paint with grey tones.

In fact, I've been told the paint guide on the Hasegawa Raptor kit is darn close.  It recommends Gunze 'Super Metallic' (I hope I have that name right) mixed with various FS greys to get it close.  From there you can buff some panels to make it convincing.

I like the idea of graphite polished into a grey paint job though.  That has real merit!

Just from looking at pics, I think you'd be better off painting with regular colors, and then mix some pearl powder in with your flat basecoat. It will reproduce the subtle effect in the photos more convincingly than going with straight metallics.

8 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Quite ugly, to be honest. Never was a fan of digital camo though.

It certainly doesn't look like that scheme itself would be very effective...

speaking of seemingly ineffective camo, this is India's Prototype Light Attack chopper:DSC08402-777405.JPG

Malaysia is doing it better:NURI+HELICOPTER+Pasukan+Udara+Tentera+Da

it actually breaks up the outline of the bird [you know, what camouflage is supposed to do]

<<EDIT>>

The JASDF is doing it better too:

640x640.jpg

Edited by slide

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

I never quite got the purpose of digital (not splinter or dazzle) camo, other than screaming "21st century!" and looking nice occasionally

See here for the reasons behind it: http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160324-the-story-behind-chinas-minecraft-military-camo

As for the effectiveness... well, some of the examples in this post show how well different organizations understand the principles behind it, and who is just copying  what the others are doing.

That same F-2A will be released by Hobby Master as a pre-built and -painted model. So if you want the camo without the work, there you are. 

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

Splinter camo is where I draw the line.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7fWwtmI5OYA39jBSvExV

1211532608776.png

someone say splinter camo?

Just now, Sildani said:

Maverick’s Rhino from Top Gun 2. 

7FA3D5F2-CB91-4CEA-995D-499470E4F7D5.jpeg

Given Tom Cruise's insistence on how his stunts look... I'm hopeful we'll get some HD Aerial footage on par with Le Chevalier Du Ciel:

So both a An-225 and a An-124 came to Guam last week bringing in relief supplies after Typhoon Mangkhut passed through.  Never thought I would see one of these land here.  The pictures don't do the plane justice, it's HUGE!  I wish I had gone up to the tower cab and gotten some pictures from there.

IMG_20180912_181938.jpg

IMG_20180912_181953.jpg

IMG_20180912_182020.jpg

IMG_20180912_181852.jpg

• 2 weeks later...