Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

Some interesting footage from RIAT.

Not a bad showing by the F-35.

Some real nice moves there, great show. Wish I got to see it live, maybe some day I'll make the trip over.

9 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a22355833/boeing-new-f-15x/

Looks like Boeing is upping the ante, with a planned Eagle variant capable of carrying more than two dozen anti air missiles per aircraft.

We're getting pretty close to Macross levels of missile spam.

Yeah. The 2040C was crazy and this just takes the airframe alittle further. Personally, I'm just looking forward now to Northrop's 6th gen YF-X.

80 J, according to what I heard on the drone digest podcast.  The EU came up with a pretty interesting overriding rule which drone has to be registered.  

If the drone can impart a maximum of 80 J or more on a human body, it must be registered.  I have to say, this is a pretty novel way to think about things.   Rather than registering based on size or mass.  Drone have to be registered based on the amount of damage that it can do going at its maximum velocity.   I am curious how they  come up with the definition and conditions for velocity, but I like the scheme.

Y'know, looking at that overcast, apparently no-one told the producers that the Battle of Britain is almost always referred to in terms like "Immortal Summer", "Cerulean Skies", "Eternal Blue" etc... :lol: [1]

[1] To be fair, it was the Battle of Britain - it probably was overcast all the time!

Oh, dear, I think I've spotted a couple of nitpicks already - in one scene a Me109 is shown firing a spinner-mounted gun; IIRC, very few, if any Me109s were fitted with such a gun for the Battle of Britain. In another, a gun is firing with a barrel that projects out of the wing, and the scene immediately cuts to a Hurricane firing. I think the gun in question belongs to a Me109, but if its meant to be a Hurricane... the Browning machine guns were buried in the wings. There were a few cannon-armed Hurricanes during the Battle, but they were rare and not very successful.

Edit: Think I may have made my own blooper, it may have been cannon-armed Spitfires and not Hurricanes... :wacko:

Edited by F-ZeroOne
Correction.

No, that was a 109’s MG/FF barrel, and crap editing to make it look like the Hurricane was firing it. NP. 

As for the “Motorkanone” that was shown... you’re right, there were very few. But there WERE a few, and as long as not every single 109 fires one, I myself will let it slide. I’m too jazzed to see a movie where the Hurri is the star of the show, and Do 17Z’s are shown as the attackers! Usually just all Spitfires and He 111’s. 

From the the 109-E3 and upwards. they already were equipped with 20mm cannons

I should know,... playing Cliffs of Dover they blow me out of the sky often enough :lol:

(But you are right: the Motorkanone was introduced in 1941, well past the battle)

Edited by Nightbat

On 8/1/2018 at 9:15 AM, F-ZeroOne said:

Oh, I know they had the wing-mounted cannons, it was just the potential nose one. Again, and I might be wrong, I think some earlier models were fitted for a nose-mounted machine gun but it wasn't a very common thing.

The through-engine gun really became a thing with the F series... the F-1 had a 15mm MG, and the F-2 got the 20mm cannon and they never went back... then some G models started getting 30mm cannons and .50 cal machine guns [instead of 8mm MG]

6 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Simply incredible and tragic news story as airline employee steals small passenger aircraft:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45153535

For someone with apparently no actual pilot training this video is rather impressive! 

Edited by 505thAirborne

Best of what I got from Offutt today:

IMG_7702.JPG

IMG_7704.JPG

IMG_7674.JPG

IMG_7695.JPG

IMG_7652.JPG

(and today was the first time I finally got to see the full F-22 demo--every other time it's had to abort mid-way for a tech failure)  

Other highlights: 

First time seeing a P-40

Sat in KC-10 captain’s seat

Sat in KC-10 boom operator’s seat (steep entry ladder, low ceiling!).  Also, there’s an interesting optical effect—-there’s a series of mirrors set up, that basically shows you “through” the rear fuselage.   It basically looks like there’s a hole through the back of the plane.  Your mind knows you should be looking at a wall/bulkhead, but instead you can see perfectly well what’s right behind the tailcone....

Great pics! Man, those F-22 paint jobs are sooo weird..No two ever quite look the same, depending on the lighting conditions, sometimes looks more metallic than painted.  I've got a 1:48 Hasegawa kit waiting to be built, but I have no idea how I'm gonna paint it to get close to that look. 

They are very metallic in person.  F-35, not so much (but not dead-flat either, kinda like the newer F-16 paint is).  

Seeing F-35 next to F-22——the 35 sits up higher off the ground, but is still shorter overall.  And F-22 canopy is yellow-orange, but F-35 canopy is orange-purple or orange-pink.  Have noticed the purplish canopy on the -35 several times now. (You can see it a bit in the formation pic). 

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Great pics! Man, those F-22 paint jobs are sooo weird..No two ever quite look the same, depending on the lighting conditions, sometimes looks more metallic than painted.  I've got a 1:48 Hasegawa kit waiting to be built, but I have no idea how I'm gonna paint it to get close to that look. 

Yes, same thing here, I've got the Fujimi 1/72 F-22 and can't start it due to the metallic paint issue - I heard a while back there were F-22 metallic sheen made specifically for model paints but its no longer in production.  http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/2010/04/23/introducing-raptor-sheen/comment-page-1/

Maybe a Alclad metallic coat (dark aluminum) with a misting of grey over top?  I don't know yet.

Not a good month for classic airliners, a de Havilland Dragon Rapide has had a mishap in British Columbia; there are injuries, a couple serious, but no fatalities:

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/historic-flight-museum-founder-injured-in-bc-air-show-crash/

I've actually flown in one of these. The crew warned us not to put your foot through the wing as you get on board, where you then encounter something you'd never really thought about before with classic airliners - its a tailsitter, so the cabin is inclined. On the ground..

Edited by F-ZeroOne

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, wm cheng said:

Yes, same thing here, I've got the Fujimi 1/72 F-22 and can't start it due to the metallic paint issue - I heard a while back there were F-22 metallic sheen made specifically for model paints but its no longer in production.  http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/2010/04/23/introducing-raptor-sheen/comment-page-1/

Maybe a Alclad metallic coat (dark aluminum) with a misting of grey over top?  I don't know yet.

I actually wonder if it would help to basecoat the model in something that resembles the weird green/yellow/tan panels you often see in assembly line pictures, before applying standard military topcoats.  The varied metallic panels honestly make the Streak Eagle scheme look simple by comparison. :ph34r:  The color in that pic looks like a slightly greenish titanium, so a mix of standard gray and buffing metallic over a minty green base might actually do pretty well.

One of the most surreal experiences I've ever had up-close with an aircraft was seeing a factory-fresh Superhornet.  The paint was completely unstained by any wear or tear, and the flat coat was so utterly uniform that the plane didn't actually look real.

Edited by Chronocidal

Yeah, the metallic sheen on the stealth planes is bizarre, to say the least.  I had the rare chance to see both the '35 and '22 up close at an airshow 2 years ago and they're definitely not the same coating.  But in both cases, I think you can achieve something convincing with a scale model by mixing metallic paint with grey tones.

In fact, I've been told the paint guide on the Hasegawa Raptor kit is darn close.  It recommends Gunze 'Super Metallic' (I hope I have that name right) mixed with various FS greys to get it close.  From there you can buff some panels to make it convincing.

I like the idea of graphite polished into a grey paint job though.  That has real merit!