Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

Probably won't be "Foxfire", IIRC that was the codename allocated to either the MiG-25 or MiG-31 radar.

Although the Russians have their own names for their equipment (one of the best known is "Akula" - "Shark" - what NATO called the "Typhoon" class SSBN; ironically enough, NATO assigned "Akula" as the codename to a completely different class of Russian submarine) I remember reading that some Russians used the NATO codename "Fulcrum" to refer to MiG-29s.

"Fenestrator"...? :lol:

Edit: Oh, and "Flipper" was a codename assigned to a prototype Russian fighter from the 50s I think...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I always did wonder what the Soviets and later Russians called their Aircraft and such. Do they have official names like the West does for their aircraft?

Chris

If I'm not mistaken, the Russians liked the NATO designations Fulcrum, Flanker, and Bear so much that they actually adopted them as the semi-official names for the Mig-29, Su-27..., and Tu-95, respectively.  I don't think they were as keen on some of the other code-names (Fagot, Fishbed, Foxbat, etc.) that the West have chosen for their aircraft, though.

15 hours ago, seti88 said:

All governments have propaganda ...its just a matter of the degree of 'marketing'... :unknw: 

I like the lighter colour outer lining scheme in the video, but cant wait to see other schemes tho...

Read the business insider that India, Iran and South Korea were scheduled for it  ;) 

Odd, it'll be South Korean SU-57 vs North Korean SU-whatever... 

As for the name, I propose Fricassee Rabbit  (what can I say, "Rabbit Season, Duck Season" suddenly popped into my head)

I recall the Russian were also not particularly fond of "Firkin" for the defunct Su-47.

Come on MiG. You're slacking. Where is that Mig-41?

If "Flipper" is taken. I change my vote to Su-57 "Flaccid". :lol:

Also looked up the Flipper and yeah, F-Zero, you're right. Ye-152.

e152a2.jpg

Edited by Shadow

2 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Su-27 is the "crane" semi-officially, but they do use Flanker as well. 

I can't think of any Russian jet with an official name.  

Only two I can think of: The Beriev Be-12 "Tchaika" and the Antonov An-225 "Miriya". 

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

With how far apart the engines are and how wide it looks, how about the Spread Eagle. B))

Chris

... but the NATO convention is to have adversary forces' fighters' names start with "F", bombers with "B", etc.  So, how about F'n Spread Eagle?...:p

On 8/15/2017 at 6:24 PM, David Hingtgen said:

Su-27 is the "crane" semi-officially, but they do use Flanker as well. 

I can't think of any Russian jet with an official name.  

I thought Tu-160 "White Swan" was an official moniker?

Just now, Sildani said:

Got it! Flintlock. 

I like it

Flatline would be my suggestion to NATO, if they're listening lol