Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

8 hours ago, Shadow said:

The Firefox was an awesome design although it only seemed to be able to carry the short-range R-60 missile.

I know it's a game but this is a very interesting module that I'm looking forward to along with the F-14A/B also in the works.

DCS has been on a decent roll these past few years, they just need to add a F-4 and P-38 and I'll never need another flight sim again :lol:

1 hour ago, dizman said:

DCS has been on a decent roll these past few years, they just need to add a F-4 and P-38 and I'll never need another flight sim again :lol:

I'm still waiting and hoping for an F-16C but that doesn't seem to be in the works because reasons.

On 06/07/2017 at 8:12 PM, Dobber said:

I LOVE the Firefox. I've been toying with a slight redesign of it using faceted angles over the whole airframe like the F-117. It's nose section already sort of does it. Would fit in the story too, we steal the Firefox and use what we learn from it for our Stealth program giving the F-117.

Chris

Sorry to burst your bubble but actually the F-117 was in development since the 1970's as part of the Have Blue program.

640px-DARPA_USAirForce_HaveBlue.png

34 minutes ago, Nazareno2012 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but actually the F-117 was in development since the 1970's as part of the Have Blue program.

640px-DARPA_USAirForce_HaveBlue.png

I am aware of that, and the Firefox BOOK was first published in 1977. I'm  talking about a fictional timeline that could easily be tweaked to fit actual program developments. :rolleyes:

Chris

Edited by Dobber

9 minutes ago, Dobber said:

I am aware of that, and the Firefox BOOK was first published in 1977. I'm  talking about a fictional timeline that could easily be tweaked to fit actual program developments. :rolleyes:

Chris

I am also aware of that, though of course your scenario could always work in an "alternate universe" setting ;)

I visited Le Bourget this year but until now I didn't have time to sort the pictures I took.

F35 ground crew takes care of the aircraft after the very, very loud demonstration flight.

DSC_0123.JPG

DSC_0129.JPG

Edited by Bri

A very graceful display and surprisingly quiet.. It is hard to imagine that such a large plane can turn so easily while it appears to fly slowly.

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

On 6/7/2017 at 8:46 PM, David Hingtgen said:

IMG_6879t_zpseki62gli.jpg

That P-51 was being piloted by Vlado Lenoch, who was killed just recently piloting another P-51.   :(

https://theaviationist.com/2017/07/17/popular-u-s-airshow-pilot-vlado-lenoch-killed-in-p-51-crash-with-passenger/

37 minutes ago, F-ZeroOne said:

So... a F-35B then? :lol: [1]

[1] Yes, I know the nozzle was actually designed in the US before the YaK-41 etc...!

you know, I actually mistook that picture for an F-35B for one brief second until I noticed the flag on the back.  YAK YAK YAK

21 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Allegedly, the Russians are working on a new V/STOL fighter. It will be interesting to see if some of the comments applied to, ahem, a certain other attempt at the same thing recently will be applied to it... ^_^ (assuming the project is real).

As soon as the first prototype is flying, Russia will promise all sorts of technology, show off some fancy maneuvers at an airshow, and proclaim it as the world's most awesome-est fighter.  The internet armchair pilots and experts will lap it all up. And do so for the following 10 years even though less than a dozen will be produced during that time. :p

8 minutes ago, Vifam7 said:

As soon as the first prototype is flying, Russia will promise all sorts of technology, show off some fancy maneuvers at an airshow, and proclaim it as the world's most awesome-est fighter.  The internet armchair pilots and experts will lap it all up. And do so for the following 10 years even though less than a dozen will be produced during that time. :p

While also sporting an abysmal combat radius and poor weapons loadout.

To be fair, I think it's amazing they've built their Su-34 fleet up to such a formidable size in such a short period of time.

Edited by Shadow