Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

Get ready to be even more comfortable next time you fly third clas... I mean coach.

airbus-files-airplane-patent_dezeen_ss-6

http://www.thejournal.ie/new-airbus-seats-like-saddles-1575471-Jul2014/

yea.. no. Not gonna happen. At least not in the U.S.

The FAA has certain crash requirements for passenger survivability. Even on short flights, planes travel way above what any human being could survive in a fall.

What's next? hand holds for standing passengers?

yea.. no. Not gonna happen. At least not in the U.S.

The FAA has certain crash requirements for passenger survivability. Even on short flights, planes travel way above what any human being could survive in a fall.

What's next? hand holds for standing passengers?

Ryan Air was planning to introduce standing passenger accommodations (hand holds) for short flights until it was nixed for safety reasons. We've gone from flight being a near-miracle way of traveling to having it be on the same level, experience-wise, as riding a bus in a little over a generation.

Red and White on an F-16? I like. :wub: Like Blue and Gold/Yellow on the F/A-18C, some color combinations just seem to suit the aircraft.

More from Farnborough.

Nice to see the Vulcan still making an appearance.

Edited by Shadow

I stumbled upon some weird aftermarket parts for the 1/32 Skyraider kit

Here's the story of the Toilet Bomb:

Thanks for bringing this back to attention - that story is just as fun the second time through. And I'm heartened that someone has actually gone to the trouble of immortalizing it.

Wait - "D-Day Invasion Stripes" on the Typhoon? Did we fall out with France again or something?! :)

I have never seen a Vulcan before. It's so awesome!

Going back under my rock now. -_-

I saw one take-off when I was very young; the overwhelming impression I got was that theres a certain point during the take-off climb where you can actually see gravity trying to snatch it back... :)

I've always been impressed by the high AoA maneuvers the Hornet can make but that Super Hornet display was the best I've seen in really showing its abilities while still carrying a load of missiles.

Edited by Shadow

I've heard/read that a Super Hornet can match or even beat an F-22, briefly, when it comes to high-alpha manuevers.

Basically---it can't keep it up due to raw drag/less thrust, but if the pilot really wants to---he can trade all his energy for "pointing the nose" like nothing else, to get off a high-angle shot etc. Super Hornets do have an "alpha/G-limit over-ride" switch like a Flanker.

The F-22 can do high-end manuevers all day long, but a Super Hornet can do one truly spectacular move if it needs to.

Let me bring to your attention the works of Adam Tooby, whose digital paintings grace the boxes of Airfix' modern kit range.Gallery1_00040.jpg

There's a book collecting his work on the horizon, meanwhile you can feast your eyes on the pics on his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Finest-Hour-Art/235890616429673

New quantum imaging techniques will make stealth obsolete:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2249392/The-unjammable-quantum-radar-make-present-generation-stealth-technology-obsolete.html

tl;dr version: MIT researchers using the quantum properties of photons (light particles) to detect stealthy objects, and said objects ability to fool the detector.

article-2249392-168D7D38000005DC-781_634

That seems like a hugely misleading article. If I read it correctly, it's talking about a technology to defeat active jamming/spoofing, not "stealth," although it repeatedly uses the term and even reports a test carried out on a stealth-bomber-shaped object.

I was under the impression that "stealth" referred to passive technologies that either minimize radar returns and/or limit them only to specific observation conditions (i.e. angles).

That seems like a hugely misleading article. If I read it correctly, it's talking about a technology to defeat active jamming/spoofing, not "stealth," although it repeatedly uses the term and even reports a test carried out on a stealth-bomber-shaped object.

I was under the impression that "stealth" referred to passive technologies that either minimize radar returns and/or limit them only to specific observation conditions (i.e. angles).

I think the article is written using layperson's language that often times groups concepts like jamming and passive stealth technologies together. It does make it clear that the breakthrough is with a system that can "detect and image" objects.

It raises the theoretical possibility that it can be "jammed" by intercepting and modifying the photons emitted by the scanner. Doing so changes the quantum information of the photon thus making the detector aware that someone is trying to spoof things. This is part of the "Observer effect" in physics, where any interaction (including passive observation) changes the particle.

Re: stealth. Technically, it refers to ALL forms of detection. Infra-red being the big one after radar. No point in having a radar-proof plane if a heat-seeker can lock on from 10 miles away. AFAIK, infra-red was another place where the -23 was notably better than the -22. (no thrust-vectoring means it could have those ceramic(?) brick-lined exhaust troughs) Plus, just plain being sleeker means less heat/friction from skin-drag.

Re: airshow. Sorry, I have almost nothing for "F-14 in flight"----just caps from an old digicam:

Cap0015_zps9a7f6bed.jpgCap0016_zpsf322c5b2.jpgCap0020_zpsdaa14e54.jpgCap0018_zpsa6fe0692.jpgCap0021_zps629d1ad0.jpgCap0022_zps4dd735d6.jpgCap0026_zpsfc1f61d0.jpg

That was the only time I saw a Tomcat fly, Grim Reapers F-14D.