Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

If the info is correct, 1486 Boeing 747's (of all types) were made.

LOW_ALT, are you able to mention who the customer is? I assume it must be a freight / lease company to have so many and I believe the 747 is being phased out of passenger service in favor for more twin engined wide bodies.

If the info is correct, 1486 Boeing 747's (of all types) were made.

LOW_ALT, are you able to mention who the customer is? I assume it must be a freight / lease company to have so many and I believe the 747 is being phased out of passenger service in favor for more twin engined wide bodies.

The bid is going through an installer called The Wrap Factory who was approached by the company putting the aircraft back into service. They do large scale vehicle wraps but don't have the right printer to qualify for the FAA requirements. We have a VuTek QS2000 which qualifies, and we are only a few miles away so they came to us quote the job of printing the vinyl for them. They weren't allowed to mention the company or show us the artwork, we could only talk pricing and time frame at this point.

Gotta be lease. NOBODY has 100 747's. Maybe JAL did at their peak, but not now.

I seriously doubt its a lease situation as he said they are re-doing the interior on the aircraft as well. Not to mention that by law these planes have to be stripped and repainted before the new artwork can be applied. That's an awful lot of time and money for some lease aircraft.

Nobody outright owns their planes anymore. Even the biggest and best airlines lease half their fleet straight from the factory. The plane will spend its entire life, factory to scrap yard, in that airline's colors----having never been owned by it.

Planes and locomotives get leased for decades at a time.

Nobody outright owns their planes anymore. Even the biggest and best airlines lease half their fleet straight from the factory. The plane will spend its entire life, factory to scrap yard, in that airline's colors----having never been owned by it.

Interesting. I'll have to ask for clarification on this next time I talk with the client. Thanks.

When I say the F-35 is one loud beast I mean it. My building at work is a good 1/2 mile from the nearest engine run up pad and the damn thing is shaking my builidng and setting off alarms while it does some kind of ground engine test. It is louder then a freaking B-1 with all four engine at afterburner.

Is it the B version that you are hearing? It's puzzling to me that a single "conventional" F135 would be such a howler, but once the lift fan gets involved, all bets are off.

EDIT: I found this info which ties it to the afterburner design (so, all versions)... but says it's being fixed, and dates back to 2011. How strange.

Edited by Nekko Basara

No... the lift fan is really just a fan that pushes air through... there is no combustion component. So its not going to make that much sound... think a helicopter's blade spinning around.

Really the sound increase comes when the 135's afterburner is lit. Basically this is one of the most powerful power plants ever installed: alone it puts out more thrust than both the F/A-18E's 404s combined. So its going to be loud.

No... the lift fan is really just a fan that pushes air through... there is no combustion component. So its not going to make that much sound... think a helicopter's blade spinning around.

Really the sound increase comes when the 135's afterburner is lit. Basically this is one of the most powerful power plants ever installed: alone it puts out more thrust than both the F/A-18E's 404s combined. So its going to be loud.

A single large engine is almost always quieter than several smaller ones. Especially if they have a larger fan. The F135 being so loud is an aberration. The GE90 is one of the quietest engines around, and it's THE most powerful.

When I say the F-35 is one loud beast I mean it. My building at work is a good 1/2 mile from the nearest engine run up pad and the damn thing is shaking my builidng and setting off alarms while it does some kind of ground engine test. It is louder then a freaking B-1 with all four engine at afterburner.

I read this and was like :lol: and then was like :huh: .

I've heard B-1s before and that a single engine fitted to a small fighter is that loud is puzzling.

Loudest jet I've ever heard was the Concorde at take-off. It was so loud that it was rattling my ribcage.

Darn shame that they were retired.

After the 1998 Van Nuys, CA Airshow on Monday you could gather around and watch the Fighters & Bombers take-off. Pre-911 pilots were allowed to do flybys and high speed passes minus their Afterburner. Well someone forgot to tell the pilots of the B-1, that SOB came in super fast with his burners lit, the ground shook and every car alarm in town went off, we cheered and screamed for an Encore.... the tower cleared him for another pass! Super loud, super awesome!! :D

A single large engine is almost always quieter than several smaller ones. Especially if they have a larger fan. The F135 being so loud is an aberration. The GE90 is one of the quietest engines around, and it's THE most powerful.

There's something about the size-to-power ratio going on here.

I lived much of my life near a C-5 base, and I got very used to their sound. Those huge TF39s each pack almost the exact same power as an F135 - and C-5s have four of them, of course. While they aren't quiet, their particular throb is distinctive but by no means abusively loud. I admit, I have no idea how often they ran them all the way up, and they don't have afterburners, so there's a great degree of apples-to-oranges here, but that's sort of my point. Getting the same power as a massive high-bypass turbofan out of a little engine like the F135 apparently means turning a whole lot of jet fuel into noise.

Saw an Osprey in person for the first time. I was actually a bit surprised on how it sounded different depending on its position from me. When it was headed toward me, it sounded like a large helicopter (which is what I first thought it was until I actually saw it). When it was moving away from me, it sounded like a jet. It was also a bit louder than I thought it would be.

Again, Its the afterburner that is the cause. Without the can lit, its pretty comparable to other engines of its ilk.

52255668.jpg

Never read any comments about it, but I bet the XB-70 made a heck of a racket with all 6 going...

The sheer exhuast velocity alone required for Mach 3+ would cause a lot of noise.

(speed of the exhaust is a big part of jet noise--basically the "ripping" of the air by hot, fast-moving exhaust, combined with the actual turbo-machinery of the core, are the main 2 sounds heard---some engines produce more of one type than the other). It's a big part of the reason airliners can make so much power, relatively quietly---they pump a massive amount of air, but it moves quite slowly (as jet engines go) and only a fraction is actually heated through the core.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/30-totally-stunning-photos-taken-around-andersen-afb-g-1594283910

Just posting this because it is relavent to my job. I have had the pleasure of working as an Air Traffic Controller out in Guam for the past 5 years. I've worked with different USAF squadrons that rotate out to Andersen AFB as well as USN, JASDF, and RAAF contingents annually for multi-force exercises. They liven up an otherwise routine day. Them and the attack Cessna's that is.