Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

And maybe Argentina will follow Brazil too... our Air Force is completely obsolete and we are still searching for replacement to our aging Mirage 2000 and A4's. If Brazil develops a regional version of the Gripen, surely Argentina will buy it... but times are hard, no money for defense I fear...

And maybe Argentina will follow Brazil too... our Air Force is completely obsolete and we are still searching for replacement to our aging Mirage 2000 and A4's. If Brazil develops a regional version of the Gripen, surely Argentina will buy it... but times are hard, no money for defense I fear...

Call me ignorant but is there anyone actually out to hurt South America other than political opposition or cartels?

That would actually cause a dog fight?

Call me ignorant but is there anyone actually out to hurt South America other than political opposition or cartels?

That would actually cause a dog fight?

Argentina still disputes ownership of the Falkland islands (currently owned by the UK). They fought a short war over it in 1982.

Is BAe still involved in the export of the Gripen? If so, I doubt Argentina will be a potential buyer...

But Brazil is going to manufacture the majority of the systems (The engines are from USA I think)

Edit: I found this

gripen_ng_br.jpg

Edited by Gerli

What are the differences between the Gripen C and the E/F though?

More thrust, a lot more fuel, more weapons stations, AESA radar. Really superior in every way. Physically the same dimensions/shape though. Just lots of improvements/rearranging to achieve it.

Awesome flight-deck ops video---best I've ever seen for actually having a plane engage the catapult, hold-back, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?e-V0dKwyu6E

And of course, everything's better when the Jolly Rogers are featured. :)

:::edit::: Why won't it embed? I tried every variation of the link I can think of.

More thrust, a lot more fuel, more weapons stations, AESA radar. Really superior in every way. Physically the same dimensions/shape though. Just lots of improvements/rearranging to achieve it.

Awesome flight-deck ops video---best I've ever seen for actually having a plane engage the catapult, hold-back, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?e-V0dKwyu6E

And of course, everything's better when the Jolly Rogers are featured. :)

:::edit::: Why won't it embed? I tried every variation of the link I can think of.

Click the "Share" button on youtube and copy-paste the short-link in the post. it will auto-embed it (?)

Edited by Gerli

Aren't the EA-6's being pahsed out by the 18's? How old is that footage. That si the best ever first person footage too. I kept waiting for the guy to get sucked into the EA-6's intake! Thanks for sharing! - MT

Aren't the EA-6's being pahsed out by the 18's? How old is that footage. That si the best ever first person footage too. I kept waiting for the guy to get sucked into the EA-6's intake! Thanks for sharing! - MT

I though so too, but a couple just came down to Guam for a recent small exercise. They were Marine EA-6s though; wikipedia shows the majority of the carrier based EA-6 squadrons have converted over to EA-18s but there are a couple that have not yet.

A single 1000lb JDAM seems like a waste. The SDB+AMRAAM options are much better IMHO.

Wait a minute---"Laser JDAM"? WTF is that? That kinda goes against the definition of JDAM.

Paveway=Laser.

JDAM=GPS

PS---where's the 8x AIM-9X option? Seriously, want an Itano circus...

Most Guided Bombs are moving towards a tri-mode seeker GPS/INS, LASER, and Inferred in order to have targeting option instead of carrying different weapons on a strike aircraft. The LASER-JDAM have been around for a few years now.

This.

The laser seeker is there so the bomb can track moving targets in addition to being able to hit all-weather stationary targets in GPS mode.

BTW, I wonder if it would be possible to carry two of those pods with one on each wing instead of just the single center line pod.

Edited by anime52k8

Just curious, I thought the F-18s can carry ordinance on the centerline. I wonder if someone hadn't thought of a stealth shaped version of the JDAM or JSM, that's another way to bring some fire power without having to lug around the weapons pod. The first four configuration made sense though... but really, why have just four SBD when you can have six.

Just curious, I thought the F-18s can carry ordinance on the centerline. I wonder if someone hadn't thought of a stealth shaped version of the JDAM or JSM, that's another way to bring some fire power without having to lug around the weapons pod. The first four configuration made sense though... but really, why have just four SBD when you can have six.

I suppose two less bombs will give that much more range? Every pound counts on an airplane.

Saw this link on one of my favorite car sites, jalopnik.com, good read on Japan's stealth aircraft development.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/a-brief-history-of-asian-stealth-so-far-part-1-japan-1487743275

This.

The laser seeker is there so the bomb can track moving targets in addition to being able to hit all-weather stationary targets in GPS mode.

BTW, I wonder if it would be possible to carry two of those pods with one on each wing instead of just the single center line pod.

Two of those pods would be interesting but I like the idea of stealthy JDAMs to cut down on weight and drag brought on by the pods. The Enhanced Super Hornet is supposed to get improved engines.

Looks like it will still carry a pair of AIM-9Xs on the wingtips. Not sure how much those will compromise the reduced radar cross section.

I see two main problems with making stealthy JDAMs. For one, you'd need a specially designed bomb casing made from composite materials which would negate the JDAMs big selling point of being an inexpensive tail kit you can mount to any existing dumb bomb in inventory. And once you've dropped you're stealthy bomb, you're now left with a very unstealthy bomb shackle hanging off the bottom of the aircraft.

what I think would be interesting is if they can adapt this stealth weapons pod to the F-35. I know there's been much poo-pooing about how limited the F-35's weapon load is while fully stealthy, so this could be a better solution.

Just curious, I thought the F-18s can carry ordinance on the centerline.

They can, but even the Super Hornet still always needs extra fuel tanks. Seeing the center pylon used for anything but fuel is rare. Weight/G-loading always means the centerline pylon is the #1 preferred place to load fuel tanks.

This.

Anywhere you can stick a 480 Gal Tank, you can stick this pod.

We joke at work with 5 pods, you can load 24 120s and 2 9Xs on the SH

Edited by shadow3393

I've always found it interesting that SAAB/Volvo always seem to use upgraded versions of US engines, that are superior in every way---yet the US never uses those upgraded versions in turn. (or if they do, long after every other user and export version does) I'd guess "not invented here" is the only real reason. (or really---"we invented it, but we can't validate their upgrades and let them show us up that they made a better version of our own engine"

PS----China has a "new" helicopter. Apparently it's called the Z-20.

WzB4Wnx.jpg

Yup, a totally new, home-grown, innovative design. :D

Pics of the 1/48 Hobby Boss YF-23:

http://www.inpayne.com/models/yf23hb.html

Always nice to see some more angles of the bird.

And I just found what I want as a belated Christmas gift.

Also, some concepts of the F-35 in Blue Angels and T-bird colors. I was expecting them to look horrid but they're surprisingly livable.

c10240.jpgf-35-thunderbird.jpg6451_115835652408_570477408_2235562.jpg

Edited by Shadow