All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

11 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Finished Ghost of Tsushima tonight.  It's one of only five games in two console generations I bothered to get the Platinum trophy on.  Definitely a fitting swan song for the PS4.

already?! wow you're fast!

in those same 3 days, i think i've only done 3 main missions in Nioh 2. then again, i've been farming. those damn smithing texts have ridiculously low drop rates.

5 hours ago, Major Focker said:

already?! wow you're fast!

in those same 3 days, i think i've only done 3 main missions in Nioh 2. then again, i've been farming. those damn smithing texts have ridiculously low drop rates.

3 days?  I picked up the game at launch two weeks ago.

For an open-world game it's not particularly long.  Where a lot of games would pad the length with tons of collectibles there aren't a ton here, save for the foxes.

Yeah I got my platinum last week, the trophies are cake, like Horizon Zero Dawn, which I like. Eventually we'll get a New Game+ with a hardest difficulty trophy, I'll return to the game then, maybe do Kurosawa mode for the whole run.

Edited by Tking22

oops, sorry mike. my bad. i was confusing it with the Nioh 2 DLC which dropped Jul30.

still, i'm constantly amazed by guys who can finish games in a couple of weeks. i'm more of a diesel, taking a week or so to warm up to a game and get sufficiently good to consider a serious completion attempt rather than using the disc for cat frisbee. 

1 hour ago, Major Focker said:

oops, sorry mike. my bad. i was confusing it with the Nioh 2 DLC which dropped Jul30.

No worries!

1 hour ago, Major Focker said:

still, i'm constantly amazed by guys who can finish games in a couple of weeks. i'm more of a diesel, taking a week or so to warm up to a game and get sufficiently good to consider a serious completion attempt rather than using the disc for cat frisbee. 

My secret is that my wife and daughter go to bed around the same time, 9:00-10:00, but I don't.  Any time between them going to bed and myself going to bed (after 2:00) is my personal time.  If I'm not super into a game I might play for an hour or two, then do something else like surf the net, read, or watch TV, but if I'm really into a game I'll play for the entire stretch.

i haven't been paying attention to PS5 news, but is it really going to look like that?

i know i'm being shallow, but i'll probably hold out for a Pro or Anniversary or some Limited edition that will somehow look more aesthetically pleasing; hopefully a worthy successor to this:

PS4-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

G.I. Joe Operation Blackout

A mix between Smite with Fortnite...

Why the don't make games like Nes era?

All I really want is an open world sandbox game like Mercenaries 1 & 2 or the Just Cause series with the classic G.I. Joe setting. Call it Assault on Cobra Island or something. You could start out as generic greenshirt or Steel Brigade Trooper and undertake missions to unlock classic characters to play as.

You could even milk the formula with character and vehicle DLC.

3 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

All I really want is an open world sandbox game like Mercenaries 1 & 2 or the Just Cause series with the classic G.I. Joe setting. Call it Assault on Cobra Island or something. You could start out as generic greenshirt or Steel Brigade Trooper and undertake missions to unlock classic characters to play as.

You could even milk the formula with character and vehicle DLC.

Oh heck yeah.  That sound way better than G.I. Joe Fortnite.

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone tried MS Flight Simulator? Can anyone download (127 GB after the 532MB Steam client) or actually RUN MS Flight Simulator with all the bells and whistles (real-time air traffic, Bing maps data, etc)?

I'm running it, but I also have a 6-month old computer that I basically equipped for the purposes of running DCS in VR, so it's very current.  It's impressive what they've accomplished with the terrain detail, but it's also even more impressive how much of a download cap it will eat. :p 

At the moment, I'm more involved with the SDK than anything else, since I'm trying to learn how to port both old FSX aircraft, and make new ones.  I've gotten a couple of models imported successfully, but the infrastructure change from FSX is nearly total, and it only -barely- supports any legacy aircraft.

On the positive side, the sim seems much more friendly to high-polygon models than to massive texture files, so I was able to get this near CGI-level model running pretty smoothly.. just with no textures.. or animations. :p 

878762986_ss(2020-08-21at05_20.38).jpg.1b4fe525518f0c9dba1208d2b5c0edcc.jpg

Unfortunately, the 3rd party development situation is insanely convoluted this time around, because they've implemented the necessary infrastructure for payware developers to sell their wares directly through the in-game marketplace.  That's all well and good, but it also adds a massive amount of extra work for the average fiddler who just wants to tweak the existing aircraft, or add little mods for fun.

Oh, and from the perspective of accuracy.. if you like general aviation aircraft, Piper Cubs, Cessna 172s and the like, you're in luck, they're pretty well done.  Not so much the airliners.  Friend of mine who has spent an extensive amount of time learning the full checklists and procedures for flying an A320 in X-Plane was severely disappointed with how cheap the MSFS version is.  Sim-wise, the MSFS version vs the X-Plane one is about equivalent to the difference between an Ace Combat game, and DCS.  It's just not very detailed or accurate in anything but appearance.

Edited by Chronocidal

3 hours ago, azrael said:

So has anyone tried MS Flight Simulator? Can anyone download (127 GB after the 532MB Steam client) or actually RUN MS Flight Simulator with all the bells and whistles (real-time air traffic, Bing maps data, etc)?

I have Game Pass for PC, so I figured I'd give it a go.  Took around three hours to download, and I'm running it at 4K with the bells and whistles.  FRAPS says I'm getting just over 30fps.(I'm running an i7-9700K, 16GB of RAM, a GeForce RTX 2080, and even though I chose to install the game on my D: drive it only put the couple hundred MB installer there.  Once I launched it it downloaded the other hundred GB to my C: drive, which is an NVMe SSD).

I haven't played much, though.  I don't have a good flight stick, just a very old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro I bought for TIE Fighter.  I can't tell if it's a problem with the stick or the calibration or if I just suck at it, but I can't seem to get the plane to fly level.  No matter how I adjust my speed and trim I'm always going either up or down, and always rolling a little.  But if I'm being honest, I'm not that the "game" is actually any fun.  Could be because I'm already kind of frustrated with the controls, but flying from one airport to another in real time just seems tedious.

But hey, the new Battletoads is also on Game Pass, so I guess I'll check that out next.

MS Flight Simulator looks really nice, but I think I'll wait until I get an RTX 3080 Ti or a Big Navi 2 card.  Probably the latter as I hear the 3000 series of RTX cards are going to have some serious power draw and resulting heat issues. Currently I only have a GTX 1080 in my computer which I pulled over from an older build while waiting for new gen cards to come out.

Gotham Knights gameplay footage.

I wonder if it allows co-op play. That would actually be awesome. There a a bunch of Arkham Knight  stealth takedown videos. Imagine 4 players stealth takedown montage of an entire map section.

I absolutely love the Batman Arkham games, the whole series is nearly perfect, I even loved Origins and it's doomed multiplayer mode, I got every achievement for every game. I don't know how to feel about Gotham Knights.

It's definitely as WB promised, it's not a sequel to Arkham Knight, Bruce died at the end of that, so this seems to be a soft reboot almost, it's obviously using the visual style and aesthetic from the Arkham games. Gameplay looks to be about the same as well, the predator takedown sections and the combat seems to be the same free flow style as well. It's the just numbers, the RPG stuff, I just don't know how to feel about that.

I played the Marvels Avengers beta and it's exceptionally meh, I really, really hope this isn't that, another live service beat'em up game, with loot, and heavy repetition, and micro transactions.

I saw Suicide Squad was leaked as Rocksteady's next game a while back, very cool trailer, very fun. Once again, this has got to be outside Arkham continuity, Deadshot was white in the Arkham series, so at least they aren't beholden to that universe they already built.

I need more details, WB is already doing their own coop Arkham style game, announced today as well, gotta see how the two differ, maybe full four player coop and no RPG nonsense in Suicide Squad?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, azrael said:

And if you don't care about 4K (or physical discs) there will also be a $299 Xbox Series S.

And either version is slightly more tempting since Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass service will apparently include EA Play at no extra charge.

Personally, adding EA Play is a big plus for me since I already subscribe to Xbox Game Pass for PC.  I wasn't planning on getting the Series X as I rarely touch my Xbox One, but as Microsoft expands their games-as-service plans perhaps I'll consider a new Xbox some time after launch.

That thing is like original-model Xbox-One VCR big.

I want one, though.  They teased a new God of War, and between that and Miles Morales that's two PlayStation exclusives I already want to play.  That's two more than the Xbox Series-whatever has.

On 9/16/2020 at 4:21 PM, mikeszekely said:

That thing is like original-model Xbox-One VCR big.

I want one, though.  They teased a new God of War, and between that and Miles Morales that's two PlayStation exclusives I already want to play.  That's two more than the Xbox Series-whatever has.

Thinking of picking a PS5 up just for Gran Turismo 7

I see zero reason to get a PS5 at launch, Spiderman: Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West are both coming to PS4 too, I'll just play them on my PS4 Pro, Demon Souls is releasing on PC too.

On 9/16/2020 at 4:21 PM, mikeszekely said:

I'd just wait until next Christmas when there's an inevitable God of War Ragnarok PS5 bundle, the game doesn't even have a release date yet. Launch consoles are almost never worth it, this generations launch seems to be the most lackluster in history, there's zero real exclusives for either new console.