All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

18 hours ago, Gerli said:

Started playing Destiny 2 to play with friends but... Holy Cow, 84GB for a FPS...? What are on those files? 

File compression is a lost art form for mainstream devs these days. Modern Warfare 2019 is well over 100gb for a Call of Duty with one of the shortest campaigns in the history of the franchise.

Developers have taken the fact that storage space continues to grow as an edict that they should simply bloat their own assets to fill the space. <_< If Super Mario Bros. were released now, Mario's single-pixel eye would be in 4k.

Meanwhile, physical media has gone the way of the dinosaur, and heaven help you if you live in an area without high speed internet access, because you're going to be trying to drink an ocean through a swizzle stick.  A few years ago (before cable was available in this area), I literally received a set of physical discs through the mail faster than the download of a game completed.

26 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Developers have taken the fact that storage space continues to grow as an edict that they should simply bloat their own assets to fill the space. <_< If Super Mario Bros. were released now, Mario's single-pixel eye would be in 4k.

Meanwhile, physical media has gone the way of the dinosaur, and heaven help you if you live in an area without high speed internet access, because you're going to be trying to drink an ocean through a swizzle stick.  A few years ago (before cable was available in this area), I literally received a set of physical discs through the mail faster than the download of a game completed.

Yeah. You don't want to hear me rant about this...AGAIN. Game developers all think their customers all have gigabit internet or have the funds to get gigabit internet.

On 2/28/2020 at 10:38 AM, Chronocidal said:

Meanwhile, physical media has gone the way of the dinosaur, and heaven help you if you live in an area without high speed internet access, because you're going to be trying to drink an ocean through a swizzle stick.

Yep. I live in an area without high speed Internet. I don't even bother playing online. Downloading content and updating games is barely possible. Streaming movies is ok but not great. 

On 2/28/2020 at 11:07 AM, azrael said:

Yeah. You don't want to hear me rant about this...AGAIN. Game developers all think their customers all have gigabit internet or have the funds to get gigabit internet.

The cost to bring high speed from off the highway to my place is completely laughable . It's more than obvious game developers don't care. They know the masses have at least cable or some such means.  

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I see Destiny 2 is free now. How much story/lore are you missing if you never played the first one?

I learned that the round thing on the sky is called The Traveler and we must defend it against monster and things... it's the only lore need to play the game it seems :D

So, I have started playing the Witcher 3 on my switch lite, the new patch that came out was supposed to improve the graphics so much, but I am not really noticing a difference.  Yes, I know, I am playing it on the switch lite, so the graphics will not be the same as a switch in TV mode, but I think there still should have been some improvement.  Not complaining about the game, think it is awesome and love playing it on my switch and I am glad that I have the game.

Also, any word on Breathe of the Wild 2 for the switch?  Finished the first one, and have to say that was one of the better videogame experiences that I have had for a long time.  

Final Fantasy VII Remake demo is out on PSN right now to download, and I thought I read that if you download the demo you get a free theme when the game releases.  Hopefully this is not the same theme you get for pre-ordering the game....would make it rather meaningless to pre-order, unless there is a giant shortage of physical copies at release.

Twich

On 3/1/2020 at 7:09 AM, mikeszekely said:

Is anyone playing The Division 2? Is it worth $3?

I see Destiny 2 is free now. How much story/lore are you missing if you never played the first one?

I think Division 2 is absolutely worth $3, that's a killer price. I can't speak for Destiny 2, I never got into Destiny 1 so I never bothered with 2, but Division 2 is an excellent looter shooter, and has had tons of updates and support since launch. A massive new New York expansion just dropped as well, blast through the main story and you can jump right into the new expansion with some starter level 50 gear, it's a great solo or coop experience IMO. 

On 3/1/2020 at 9:19 AM, Gerli said:

I learned that the round thing on the sky is called The Traveler and we must defend it against monster and things... it's the only lore need to play the game it seems :D

This is also what I learned about the Destiny story from friends, it's not really there, you shoot stuff and do missions, the lore and story takes a real back seat unless you read some kind of external story logs or something that aren't actually mandatory and don't get covered in the game itself. 

7 hours ago, twich said:

Final Fantasy VII Remake demo is out on PSN right now to download, and I thought I read that if you download the demo you get a free theme when the game releases.  Hopefully this is not the same theme you get for pre-ordering the game....would make it rather meaningless to pre-order, unless there is a giant shortage of physical copies at release.

Twich

I tried it last night, the hype is sort of somewhat real IMO, it was certainly a fairly difficult slog to beat the OG scorpion sentinel boss at the end of the bombing run mission. I don't know, combat is fun enough I guess, more of a evolution of Kingdom Hearts style combat then FFXV, it's interesting enough and you certainly do need to keep on your guard. I just still don't think I can be bothered to pay $60 for an unclear chunk of game, I'll probably be waiting for a sale or I'll just wait for the PS5/Xbox X Series release, which will probably be closer to part 2 and will probably come bundled together anyway. 

On 3/1/2020 at 7:09 AM, mikeszekely said:

Is anyone playing The Division 2? Is it worth $3?

Yes sir! :good: Compared to the edition of what I paid for when it got released -- $90. :unsure:

9 hours ago, twich said:

Twich

I started downloading it last night. Can't wait to try it tonight. ;) 

I just hope it's not a time played demo so my son can try it once I finished it.

Edited by no3Ljm

16 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Yes sir! :good: Compared to the edition of what I paid for when it got released -- $90. :unsure:

I started downloading it last night. Can't wait to try it tonight. ;) 

I just hope it's not a time played demo so my son can try it once I finished it.

It's not timed and it's not locked to just one playthrough, you can take as long as you want and replay it whenever, and you should, the graphics are fantastic, Midgar has never looked better. I'm interested in hearing more about what people think of the combat, it's... certainly something. 

5 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I think Division 2 is absolutely worth $3, that's a killer price. I can't speak for Destiny 2, I never got into Destiny 1 so I never bothered with 2, but Division 2 is an excellent looter shooter, and has had tons of updates and support since launch. A massive new New York expansion just dropped as well, blast through the main story and you can jump right into the new expansion with some starter level 50 gear, it's a great solo or coop experience IMO. 

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Ok, bought. (Actually bought before I saw your posts; I saw Destructoid mentioned it was the last day to get that price. While I'm unsure if it's my kind of genre and I don't usually put a lot of stock into Metacritic scores it seems well-regarded. Certainly worth gambling $3 on.

While it's good to hear I can play solo, as I'm not particularly into multiplayer, if anyone here is playing on PC my UPlay handle is the same one I use here- mikeszekely.

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I picked a wonderful time to finally upgrade my gaming PC.  My brain hurts processing this... it looks like an FPS at ground level.

People writing reviews have done flyovers of their own houses.

Its great to see a large company like MS put so much money, time and ambition into a genre that is usually very niche.

• 3 weeks later...

My physical copy of Doom Eternal just got delivered to work, I'm so excited to pop this into my Xbox One X later and fire it up. Doom 2016 was, hands down, my favorite video game campaign of the generation, it was pretty much perfect, and the soundtrack was music to my ears, truly angelic. Rip and tear!

30 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I just installed Doom 2016 on my PC. I'll see if I like it before worrying about Eternal.

There's almost zero chance you won't love it, it's polished, optimized, and a hell of a lot of fun. 

I am also playing Doom, just like all the other cool kids.

IMG_20200321_025107.jpg.6112d3916eb19e52bc9eab2e8c1c0bbc.jpg

(The SC-88 VL just came in yesterday, and prompted some crisis debugging when my DOS box started exhibiting weird behavior, then not POSTing at all. Root cause: sound card wasn't seated firmly. And here I was worrying about a friggin' motherboard failure.)

Hope I don't sound like a pretentious downer so after decades of video gaming I officially quit my favorite hobby almost three weeks ago with not a single game played since. It's given me back money and time to my health and family and I'm doing great plus my wife is happier for me doing it too. Way happier if you know what I mean *wink, wink*.  It's different from when I quit smoking several years ago but I think the health and relationship benefits are there as I'm not sitting for hours on a game and away from my family too.

Edited by TangledThorns

i sold my Vive in 2018 so watched a playthrough of Half-Life: Alyx, looks absolutely unreal! incredible ending and can only imagine how much better it was in VR. i've played Half-Life since Uplink demo so it's like getting a new Portishead album lol

13 hours ago, apptt4 said:

i sold my Vive in 2018 so watched a playthrough of Half-Life: Alyx, looks absolutely unreal! incredible ending and can only imagine how much better it was in VR. i've played Half-Life since Uplink demo so it's like getting a new Portishead album lol

I got an Oculus Rift just for HL:A. Haven't had the chance to set up all the cameras yet, but reaaaallly looking forward to experiencing it. Hope I don't ruin all older VR games for myself by starting out with Alyx though. 

I'm actually not super interested in Alyx, but my PC is more than capable and we're supposedly getting that stimulus thing.  I guess I could pick up a VR set...

...or not.  Sounds like the set to get right now is the Oculus Rift S, and it's sold out everywhere.

I'm going to be in the market for a VR set in the near future, but my particular use for it is going to mean the hand controllers and such mean absolutely nothing relative to the view resolution and clarity, so I'm waiting for a leap in quality on that front.

Also, I need to wait until I at least get a very basic cockpit framework assembled so I have a good space to make use of it.  I'm set with a current gen gaming rig, but I currently just don't have a good desk or space for my hotas and pedals.

44 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I'm actually not super interested in Alyx, but my PC is more than capable and we're supposedly getting that stimulus thing.  I guess I could pick up a VR set...

...or not.  Sounds like the set to get right now is the Oculus Rift S, and it's sold out everywhere.

Yeah, supplies of VR gear have been short all year due to the kung flu's impact on chinese manufacturing.

40 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Yeah, supplies of VR gear have been short all year due to the kung flu's impact on chinese manufacturing.

That's alright.  I currently do most of my work on a desktop, but I can't disappear into my computer room and keep an eye on my four year old, so I was really thinking I might use the stimulus money to pick up a nice laptop.  At first I was thinking I might pick up one of the 2020 MacBook Airs, based on the positive press they've been getting, but the specs seem kind of low for the price (I know, I know, Apple Tax), and the fact that it only has a pair of Thunderbolt ports (no USB type A) is a turn off.  Now I've got my eye on Asus' soon-to-be-released Zephyrus G14.

25 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Also, Apple hasn't had a reliable keyboard for... five years now? 

That's one of the things they supposedly improved on the 2020 Air.

Still, the Zephyrus G14 configuration I was looking at is only around $150 more than the Core i5 MacBook Air, and it's got double the RAM, double the storage, and an RTX 2060 while only being slightly thicker and under a pound heavier.  I don't follow AMD too much, so I'm not totally sure how the Ryzen 4900HS in the G14 stacks up to the Air's Core i5-1060NG7, but the impression I get is extremely favorably.

Edited by mikeszekely

I actually have a 2018 Macbook Air for a work laptop, supplementing my work desktop. Honestly, I don't mind the 2 Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports. I haven't run into a situation where I actually need both ports active. It's lightweight, has a work-suitable screen and resolution (bonus points for being a 16:10 screen). Processor is fine for what I use it for. I would definitely trade it for a better keyboard, but I haven't had at situation where I've had to push this little thing that hard. iGPUs are good enough for every day tasks of web, email, or media consumption where you don't need a discrete graphics card. A Ryzen 4900HS vs a i5-1060NG7 is a hands-down win for Ryzen. But that's comparing 2 different classes of CPUs. The Ryzen is a 35W TDP designed for all-around use cases while the i5 is a 10W TDP designed for low wattage systems.

Back to the thread at hand, I'm working at home currently so gaming is pretty much a no-go for a while.