All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I'm still amazed people are still throwing money at them so readily given the development pace. What had me at the beginning was the whole Squadron 42 story campaign. I wanted to see a return to the whole Wing Commander/Freelancer genre but that's been in development hell now for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Small and medium ship are fine handled as helicopters (You need to move the nose up or down to move backward and forward)... but the lack of landing cameras made the landings on some of the hangars very hard.

My first try was succesfull

Squadron-42-Star-Citizen-Screenshot-2019

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Call me a sucker, but I'm actually cautiously excited for the new Call of Duty. They've done a lot to revert the gameplay back to the old Modern Warfare titles, and they've gotten rid of the obnoxiously cartoony art direction of the Black Ops subseries. The Gunsmith feature in particular looks really cool, but I love customization options in any game (in general).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thirty years later, Genesis still does what Nintendon't.

In this case, it is "actually putting out enough of your silly emulator boxes in nostalgic cases that people will see them on store shelves". I literally never saw an NES Classic or SNES Classic in the wild. I saw a full shelf-load of Genesis Minis the other day. So I got one, because it is cute.

I rather like the attention to detail on the console design. They molded in the headphone port, and there's even a little flat circle on the back where the real Genesis had a screw hole to lock your Power Base Converter in place and a plastic dome on the bottom where the real Genesis had one. The cartridge door opens, the expansion connector cover comes off, the non-functional volume slider moves. The volume slider is even constructed so that there's a similar resistance to what the real Genesis volume control feels like(I actually thought it would work before I turned the thing on).  Sega's always been proud of their history, and it shows.

The attention to detail actually makes one inaccuracy somewhat more glaring. The reset button is recessed rather deeply, and it is annoying mostly because of the attention to detail present in every other facet.

I guess there's some games too. It is a collection of Genesis ROM images and an emulator.  What can I say? 

I wouldn't say the library is the forty best games for the Genesis, or even the forty best-known. What it IS, though, is a great historical sampling. If you wanted to point to a set of games to show how the Genesis' marketing and software evolved over time, you could do far worse, though the lack of a single sports title is notable from this perspective.

The menu lets you sort games alphabetically, by genre, or by release date. That's cool to me, particularly in keeping with the sort of historical presentation.  No manual scans are present, though, which is a bummer. Interestingly, changing the menu language to japanese doesn't change the game list to the japanese game list, but it DOES change the release date of the games to match the new region, and swaps the ROM images and box art out for region-appropriate ones. This is most obvious if you set the menu to japanese and go looking for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, which is replaced with an unmodified Puyo Puyo. Again, it is a nice touch.

There's a new port of Darius developed for this release, which is pretty rad. There's also a new port of Sega's '88 arcade version of Tetris(not to be confused with the '89-developed, unreleased Genesis version). I love that they paid someone to code new software that would've been at home in the system's original library.

• 2 weeks later...

So will FF7R+ come out for the PS5, 6-7 months after FF7R for PS4?   Seems like either a huge timing mistake, or a missed opportunity at this point. 

"FF7R, exclusively for the PS5!" would have been one heck of a selling point.  Fights would break out in order to be the first to get on the wait-list to be allowed to pre-order... 

The haptics on the new controller sound pretty intriguing.  But I'm unsure of the PS5's SSD.  The games are coming on 100GB discs, and the biggest SSDs I've seen are still only around 2TB, and they're more than double the price of same-size hybrid drive.  So come holiday 2020 what's it going to be, a console that costs an arm and a leg, or a reasonably-priced console where you're constantly having to decide what to uninstall every time you buy a new game?

I think my younger self would have been super hyped about the next generation of consoles. However, having been playing primarily on PC for the past few years (on a doublewide 32:9 monitor at that), I just can't muster enough excitement.

At minimum, hopefully this will see the games coming to PC get a graphics boost as well. 

3 hours ago, Archer said:

I think my younger self would have been super hyped about the next generation of consoles. However, having been playing primarily on PC for the past few years (on a doublewide 32:9 monitor at that), I just can't muster enough excitement.

At minimum, hopefully this will see the games coming to PC get a graphics boost as well. 

Personally, the reason my younger self was so excited for new systems was that they enabled so many amazing new things. The last few years have been "more of the same". Sure there's bigger textures and higher defs and more tesselations, but it is all layers of polish, nothing funamentally fresh. You look at a Nintendo game next to a Genesis game, it is immediately obvious what the difference is. You look at a PS3 game next to an XBox One game, it is... not.

That's why everyone needs a VR headset. My Rift gave me that new system feeling that I hadn't felt since the Dreamcast. Even if you can't clear the space, a seated VR game with a controller is a whole new world.

At least Sony cares about storage speed this time. Maybe they won't hook the SSD up through USB like they did with the PS4. Maybe we'll genuinely get the instant load times they're talking about like it is a new thing(I STILL REMEMBER ROM CASSETTES, SONY!)

11 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

So will FF7R+ come out for the PS5, 6-7 months after FF7R for PS4?   Seems like either a huge timing mistake, or a missed opportunity at this point. 

"FF7R, exclusively for the PS5!" would have been one heck of a selling point.  Fights would break out in order to be the first to get on the wait-list to be allowed to pre-order... 

To be fair that complaint could be lobbed at a number of upcoming PS4 titles. Last of Us 2, The Outer Worlds, Death Stranding, etc. Every one of these titles could have been a PS5 launch title, with FFVII supposedly still being multi-platform, coming to PC and Xbox One as well, I'd say Last of Us 2 would be the bigger PS5 selling point.

FFVII is just a flashy, multi-part remake, with vague details on the length and content, Last of Us 2 is the sequel to a mega hit with a massive, dedicated fanbase, was one of the most praised and highly rated games last and this gen, and is an original Sony owned IP. Either way, all of the titles mentioned could've been PS5 titles, and will undoubtedly get a PS5 remastered or "ultimate" edition, so for me it's hard to muster excitement when an unarguably better version will be coming out soon. 

8 hours ago, Archer said:

But you have a PS4 right? I can understand PC gaming over, say, having an Xbox One, since Microsoft is pretty awesome with the PC and Xbox One parity, but Sony exclusives, like Nintendo games, can only be enjoyed on their hardware. PC games have their exclusives, sure, but Sony brings a lot of stuff to the table that in my opinion, makes owning at least a Sony console mandatory, I'd say the same with the Switch as well at this point, I'm currently playing Link's Awakening and it's frakking amazing. 

PC exclusive games aren't bound by console hardware, so there's no limit to them, and there never will be, graphic quality will progress as the devs themselves handle it, nothing to do with console games. Multi-plat titles, on the other hand, are a different story. As we've seen, titles coming to PC, Playstation and Xbox have far less distance between them, and some titles get stiffed on their PC ports, thankfully Microsoft and a few other seem to being putting the time in on better PC ports, but Ubisoft and some of the others doing mutli-plat titles seem to put far more thought into the console versions. PC versions will always look better sure, but that's a given, and has been for a while, I'm not sure what boost you would expect, the limit is usually just your hardware.

I personally would like to see a focus on frame rates for next-gen consoles. Higher resolution games are fine and all, but if it runs like crap, and at this point, 30 frames per second, that's an issue for me. I think 60fps should be the standard for next-gen, but nope, just higher resolutions. I can't help but praise Gears 5, beautiful game, buttery smooth 60fps for ALL modes, crossplay with PC, and the PC port was absolutely phenomenal, every bell and whistle you could want was there. 

On 10/9/2019 at 9:43 AM, Tking22 said:

But you have a PS4 right? I can understand PC gaming over, say, having an Xbox One, since Microsoft is pretty awesome with the PC and Xbox One parity, but Sony exclusives, like Nintendo games, can only be enjoyed on their hardware. PC games have their exclusives, sure, but Sony brings a lot of stuff to the table that in my opinion, makes owning at least a Sony console mandatory, I'd say the same with the Switch as well at this point, I'm currently playing Link's Awakening and it's frakking amazing. 

PC exclusive games aren't bound by console hardware, so there's no limit to them, and there never will be, graphic quality will progress as the devs themselves handle it, nothing to do with console games. Multi-plat titles, on the other hand, are a different story. As we've seen, titles coming to PC, Playstation and Xbox have far less distance between them, and some titles get stiffed on their PC ports, thankfully Microsoft and a few other seem to being putting the time in on better PC ports, but Ubisoft and some of the others doing mutli-plat titles seem to put far more thought into the console versions. PC versions will always look better sure, but that's a given, and has been for a while, I'm not sure what boost you would expect, the limit is usually just your hardware.

I personally would like to see a focus on frame rates for next-gen consoles. Higher resolution games are fine and all, but if it runs like crap, and at this point, 30 frames per second, that's an issue for me. I think 60fps should be the standard for next-gen, but nope, just higher resolutions. I can't help but praise Gears 5, beautiful game, buttery smooth 60fps for ALL modes, crossplay with PC, and the PC port was absolutely phenomenal, every bell and whistle you could want was there. 

Yep, you're absolutely right. I actually always buy all major consoles from each company (So right now, in addition to PC, I have a PS4, Switch, and Xbox One). And as you've suggested, I've basically just used the PS4 and Switch as exclusives platforms. I definitely will be reconsidering purchasing the next xbox, as the xbox one did very little for me this gen (unless Halo Ultimate can remedy that, but I doubt it). 

The exciting part of PC gaming (for me) when a new console gen rolls around is that the multi-plats also start to look a lot better (as you've mentioned). Usually near the end of console cycles, games on PC just look like "more polished" console equivalents, regardless of how much hardware you throw at the problem. For example, right now with a GTX 1080 Ti, I can run almost every game at ultra settings at 5120 x 1440 (just shy of 4k) at 80+ frames per second. 

Once the next gen rolls around, I imagine this will no longer be the case since the overall fidelity of textures and lighting is improved across the board for consoles as well. Seeing what *those* games will look like on PC excites me, and hopefully new GPUs come out to keep up. Sadly, there's very few actual PC exclusives I feel that take advantage of PC hardware. The closest I can think of is Star Citizen, which we can barely call a finished game at this point :(

Lastly, I think console devs will never shoot for 60 fps outside of fps games. I feel as though they will always try to pump out the most glamorous graphics to sell the title, sacrificing frame rate in the process. 

• 3 weeks later...

For those that hated Fallout 4 like myself for barely being a Fallout game, or RPG really, Outer Worlds is frakking fantastic, and I highly recommend it to scratch a proper first person RPG itch. I started my second play through last night, quite a brilliant game once again, I made a totally different character that I'm going to play in a totally different way. 

Also, Luigi's Mansion 3 is amazing, Nintendo nailed it, 10/10 for me personally. Probably my favorite Switch game now, it's fun and the puzzles can be fairly tricky at times. 

2 hours ago, Tking22 said:

For those that hated Fallout 4 like myself for barely being a Fallout game, or RPG really, Outer Worlds is frakking fantastic, and I highly recommend it to scratch a proper first person RPG itch. I started my second play through last night, quite a brilliant game once again, I made a totally different character that I'm going to play in a totally different way. 

Also, Luigi's Mansion 3 is amazing, Nintendo nailed it, 10/10 for me personally. Probably my favorite Switch game now, it's fun and the puzzles can be fairly tricky at times. 

I really want to play Outer Worlds, but I really want to play it on PC, and I refuse to install Epic's client.

I did pick up Luigi's Mansion, though. I need to finish Dragon Quest XI first.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

I really want to play Outer Worlds, but I really want to play it on PC, and I refuse to install Epic's client.

I did pick up Luigi's Mansion, though. I need to finish Dragon Quest XI first.

Yeah the Epic thing is a hang up for a lot of folks, it's understandable. I'm sure in time the exclusivity will end.

I made sure to start Luigi's Mansions before Dragon Quest, with how I am, that first run for me for Dragon Quest is going to take a looooong time. 

5 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Yeah the Epic thing is a hang up for a lot of folks, it's understandable. I'm sure in time the exclusivity will end.

The sad thing is I'm not doing it to make a statement or anything.  I just really don't want to install yet another client on my PC.

5 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I made sure to start Luigi's Mansions before Dragon Quest, with how I am, that first run for me for Dragon Quest is going to take a looooong time.

Yeah, I'm at the 40 hour mark and if I had to guess I'd say I'm maybe at the halfway point.  It's really good though!  I'd rank it up there with DQVII.

Something I'm hoping ends up being the case with Final Fantasy 7R is that Square can keep the number of episodes to no more than 3. If the first game covers Midgar, albit expanded, the 2nd game can revolve around chasing Sephiroth and exploring the world up until the Northern Crater section. The 3rd episode will cover Meteor, dealing with the Weapons and the rest of the story.

Edited by Shadow

• 2 weeks later...

I played Jedi Fallen Order for about 3.5 hours this morning on my Xbox One X, I'm tired as all hell but damn, it is a KILLER single player Star Wars game.

Like many others I was skeptical, there was a review embargo, EA, there was a lot going against it, and the only real positive in my eyes was Respawn, they make killer games, but once again EA. EA is known for meddling in the development of what could-have-been solid games, so a single player Star Wars game seemed ripe for BS, micro-transactions, DLC, pre-order bonuses, and every other stupid thing that's currently plaguing modern gaming. Honestly though? Nope. Just in general, there's a whole, solid, fun, and very well made single player Star Wars game here, it's quite incredible. 

There's a decent bit of customization, clothing, lightsaber hilt pieces, colors, you can even change the lightsaber combat style, all unlocked IN GAME. You don't have to buy anything, there's no premium currency or time savers, you just unlock everything by playing the actual game, crazy concept. 

4 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

I played Jedi Fallen Order for about 3.5 hours this morning on my Xbox One X, I'm tired as all hell but damn, it is a KILLER single player Star Wars game.

Like many others I was skeptical, there was a review embargo, EA, there was a lot going against it, and the only real positive in my eyes was Respawn, they make killer games, but once again EA. EA is known for meddling in the development of what could-have-been solid games, so a single player Star Wars game seemed ripe for BS, micro-transactions, DLC, pre-order bonuses, and every other stupid thing that's currently plaguing modern gaming. Honestly though? Nope. Just in general, there's a whole, solid, fun, and very well made single player Star Wars game here, it's quite incredible. 

There's a decent bit of customization, clothing, lightsaber hilt pieces, colors, you can even change the lightsaber combat style, all unlocked IN GAME. You don't have to buy anything, there's no premium currency or time savers, you just unlock everything by playing the actual game, crazy concept. 

Yeah, I was on the fence, given EA's track record with the Star Wars license, but the early word if mouth is pretty good so I wind up grabbing it this morning when I stopped to get the new Pokemon.

56 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I've been debating between Death Stranding and Jedi Fallen Order. I'm starting to lean more towards Jedi after what I'm reading. I want to play Stranding aswell but thinking of waiting to get it a lower price.

Death Stranding is definitely a wait for sale game for me, looks very slow, and honestly, just kind of boring. I'll check it out eventually, but I'm in no rush, I'm sure I'll be able to nab a copy on Black Friday for $30 or so. 

7 minutes ago, jenius said:

It looks to me like Death Stranding would have been shrugged off as awful if it didn't have Kojima's name on it.

This, very much this. I can't help but feel a ton of "professional" reviewers had Kojima goggles on when playing it, from what I've read from many, many different reviews, any other open world game with the same issues would've been slammed accordingly, but Kojima! A lot of the intentional mechanics sound awful, the fast travel sounds awful, if it weren't a Kojima game I'd imagine most reviews would be 6/10 on average.