All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

22 hours ago, Shadow said:

So the first release is going to be all about Midgar but expanded upon. That still bums me out alittle as it's still such a small portion of the whole game.

This also slipped out. :)

Will we ever get a remake of the great FFVI? :unknw:

It'd be nice if we could get a remake that leans more into Yoshitaka Amano's drawings, kinda like the FMV's that were added with the PS1 re-release.

Personally consider FFVI to have the best story, characters, and all-time best villain of the series.

FFVI iOS/Android/Steam was a top-to-bottom remake, coded and asseted from scratch.

But Remake, Remaster, Reboot, the game industry has well bungled all of those terms now.

EDIT:

Just now, Mog said:

It'd be nice if we could get a remake that leans more into Yoshitaka Amano's drawings, kinda like the FMV's that were added with the PS1 re-release.

Personally consider FFVI to have the best story, characters, and all-time best villain of the series.

Apparently there's a mod for that:

Edited by kajnrig

4 minutes ago, Mog said:

You say all.

for me, FFVI is the bestof FF ever. More than FF7 or FF8.

It's sad they don't have a remake like other before him (like FF4 of DS).

9 hours ago, anubis20 said:

Preordered! ^_^

:drinks: Nice, Anubis!

On a side note. Though I know that Hardy Daytona kind of look different and it's more like a Fenrir prototype kind of threw me off at first for a little bit.

playarts_daytona.jpg.d12ac75353a48ecc4de829d0b042db48.jpg

Play-Arts-Kai-Cloud-and-Hardy-Daytona-Bike-001.jpg.5e2b1922cb3f75e98f771ce8f3d70152.jpg

They just need to make the bull fender a little bit smaller since it's so prominent. But hey, it still looks gorgeous. And it's a nice compliment to the Fenrir. So it's all good. :wub:

Final Fantasy IV is better than Final Fantasy VI.  Just saying.

Anyway, not super impressed with Ubisoft, Squeenix, or Microsoft's E3 presentations.  The FFVII remake looks like a worse option than just buying the Steam/mobile/whatever version and playing that.  And while I was hyped for Avengers going in, hearing that it's going to be a "service" game ala Destiny torpedoed any interest I had in it.

As for Microsoft, while I'm kind of curious to see where they're going with their cloud ambitions I can't get excited for Scarlett when Microsoft doesn't have much in the way of exclusives (Halo and Gears aren't doing it for me), and what exclusives they have are bound to end up on Windows (Forza).

If Gods and Monsters is half as good as Breath of the Wild it'll be fun, and I'm hoping the story creator gives me more fun stuff to do in AC Odyssey, but pretty much the only other Ubisoft franchise I play is Far Cry, and they didn't announce anything Far Cry.

Nintendo is winning E3 for me, for sure.  No big surprises, but Ultimate Alliance, Link's Awakening, Pokemon Sword/Shield, Dragon Quest XI S, and Luigi's Mansion are all high on my wants list (Persona 5 Scramble, too, but I don't recall it being mentioned), and of course a Breath of the Wild Sequel will be a day-one buy for me (however far in the future that day turns out to be).

Hopefully the best (not-yet-leaked) announcements are being saved for last.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Final Fantasy IV is better than Final Fantasy VI.  Just saying.

Them be fighting words, Mike! :aggressive: :p

Kefka was a better villain than Sephiroth, never mind IV's Golbez and Zemus.

I like the love theme in IV, but nothing tops Celes' aria or all the ridiculously good leitmotifs from VI.

The Spoony Bard and the twins are pretty useless characters, and I don't like that you're forced into a set party for IV's final battles.

Don't get me wrong:  there's a lot of things to like/love about IV, but VI just took the series concept to its zenith.

5 minutes ago, Mog said:

Them be fighting words, Mike! :aggressive: :p

Kefka was a better villain than Sephiroth, never mind IV's Golbez and Zemus.

I like the love theme in IV, but nothing tops Celes' aria or all the ridiculously good leitmotifs from VI.

The Spoony Bard and the twins are pretty useless characters, and I don't like that you're forced into a set party for IV's final battles.

Don't get me wrong:  there's a lot of things to like/love about IV, but VI just took the series concept to its zenith.

VI had such a generic evil empire plot, though.  And no, Kefka is a Joker ripoff who didn't deliver half the personal stakes that Golbez did.  Plus, everyone could learn the same magic, so for as expansive as the cast was I wound up not bothering to use most of them, just the ones with the best abilities (Terra, Celes, Sabin, and Gogo).  And for as devastated as the world of ruin was supposed to be no one really dies.

IV had evil space wizards, good space wizards, a love triangle, betrayals left and right, a world under the world, party members dropping like flies, party members you thought were dead returning, half the party members experiencing the deaths of loved ones, the twist of finding out that the big bad mind-controlling your best buddy is in fact also being mind-controlled and is actually your brother.  Plus you go to the moon!

10 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Cap though.. I think he's an exception.  They bulked him up so hard he looks like he's smuggling a beer gut in that armor

And here I thought Thor would get the beer gut...But yeah... And all that tacti-cool armor does not do Cap any good.

Finally watched the Avengers trailer. Seems fine. Dunno what everyone are getting bent out of shape about...

Thoughts after watching the full FF7 gameplay presentation:

- SE have never been able to merge real-time and menu-based combat well. I'd rather this be entirely real-time with contextual macros and shortcuts to access the various abilities than try to offer up both a "slow" and "fast" style of play.

- Peppering the screen with numbers has always hurt my eyes, and this is no different. Just show a health bar. If you MUST have damage numbers, make them bold and easily distinguishable against what's going on on-screen, and for god's sake keep them centered properly on their respective characters. Barret obscuring his enemy in a cloud of 1's and 2's does nothing but make it harder to determine what said enemy is doing.

- The HUD in general could really do with a major overhaul. Character health in the lower right, commands on the lower left, that's classic FF layout, but it worked for classic FF, it doesn't work for an action game like this where you need to be able to tell vital statistics with just a moment's glance, especially when you also make it transparent. Tiny little ATB and Limit bars, too. Again, just show a health bar, with allies' stats minimized above/below it. When you switch characters, the pertinent stats get maximized. Maybe a character portrait next to each set of stats instead of a name, because humans are visual creatures and we can identify a face faster than we can the vague outline that a person's name's individual letters make. On the commands front, group the "Mode" prompt (Triangle) with the character stats, get rid of the "Attack" prompt altogether because who wouldn't know that Square is Attack at this point?, and also get rid of the "Menu" prompt, especially if there will be moments you can't use it.

Compare this shoddy mockup I made. At a glance, I think it already does a better job giving you immediate information than the official HUD.

screen2.jpg.8b1de8b3ae04d08c962da9e9e205845c.jpg

vs

screen.jpg.55140b9d62c7b2151935d9d3189e8a10.jpg

I never played Panzer Dragoon but then again, I never had a Saturn.

Got to admit, I'm really hoping they connect new Doom with the original series. It would be nice to find out that the Doom Slayer is in fact the Marine from the classic games.

4 hours ago, Shadow said:

Got to admit, I'm really hoping they connect new Doom with the original series. It would be nice to find out that the Doom Slayer is in fact the Marine from the classic games.

I thought it was pretty clear the last game confirmed that, if you collected and read all the extra intel, the new Doom followed the continuity of the original game, Doom 2, and I believe Doom 64 as well.

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

2020 is gonna be a great year for gaming!

Agree...

Also I hope for a New Macross game for the new consoles but.... maybe?

Edited by Gerli

I guess I'm a bit late to the party, but has anyone else checked out Timespinner?  It's been out awhile on PS4, PS Vita, Windows, Mac, and Linux, but it came out more recently on Switch and Xbox One.  The game is Metroidvania that's a very obvious homage to Symphony of the Night, although it trades the gothic style of that game for a fairly interesting time travelling sci-fi/fantasy story and sprites that look like they belong in a 16 or 32-bit JRPG.  I'm told that it's fairly short, but the music's pretty good and the gameplay is tight.  Worth a look if you enjoyed SotN or the GBA/3DS Castlevanias.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

I guess I'm a bit late to the party, but has anyone else checked out Timespinner?  It's been out awhile on PS4, PS Vita, Windows, Mac, and Linux, but it came out more recently on Switch and Xbox One.  The game is Metroidvania that's a very obvious homage to Symphony of the Night, although it trades the gothic style of that game for a fairly interesting time travelling sci-fi/fantasy story and sprites that look like they belong in a 16 or 32-bit JRPG.  I'm told that it's fairly short, but the music's pretty good and the gameplay is tight.  Worth a look if you enjoyed SotN or the GBA/3DS Castlevanias. 

Kickbacker, reporting in. It is pretty good in almost all respects. It definitely has the look and feel of a GBA or DS Castlevania game. I feel it draws a lot of play inspiration from Order of Ecclesia.

My only complaint is the writing. Let us just say it leaves something to be desired at points. (I think the game as a whole would be greatly improved by removing one single scene. And rewriting that scene to be less ham-handed could easily achieve the same goals without bludgeoning the player in the face with a crowbar.)

Edited by JB0

• 3 weeks later...