All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Well. Apparently, Granzella announced R-Type Final 2 for their April 1st joke.

The company is founded by most of irem's former game development staff, and named for an entity in the R-Type universe, so they are not unconnected to the franchise.

I'd call this a lazy phone-in, particularly as they already did the same joke back when everyone worked at irem, EXCEPT ...

R-Type Final 2 is an actual game in development by Granzella. This is some kind of next-level self-referential metool-joke.

• 2 weeks later...

A single-player game published by EA?  From a developer known for such single-player hits as Titanfall and Apex Legends (sarcasm, if you can't tell)?

Does EA know that April Fool's was like two weeks ago?

Titanfall 2 IS a fantastic single-player game. It's the spiritual successor that Call of Duty 4's campaign sorely deserved.

That said, I'm at the most only cautiously optimistic about this game. The pedigree of the developers indicates it'll be quality, but the pedigree of the publisher and the franchise (game-wise) does not.

2 hours ago, JB0 said:

In fairness, I've heard Titanfall 2 was a fantastic single-player game.

54 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Titanfall 2 IS a fantastic single-player game.

I think it was a single-player campaign in what's otherwise a multiplayer game.  One that only seems to have come about because people weren't crazy about the fact the first one had no single-player mode at all... and then EA went through the same bull with Star Wars Battlefront 2 getting a single-player campaign only after people complained that the first game didn't have any single-player mode.

(And to be totally honest a friend hooked me up with Titanfall 2 and frankly I couldn't get into it.)

25 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I think it was a single-player campaign in what's otherwise a multiplayer game.

So was CoD4, and it's fondly remembered as having one of the best single-player FPS campaigns ever.

One that only seems to have come about because people weren't crazy about the fact the first one had no single-player mode at all...

The first Titanfall had a pseudo-single player mode, but that stuff simply played out as radio chatter during multiplayer matches. It was a legit criticism, and one that the devs corrected in the sequel. I mean you're not wrong that it was included because people criticized the last game for not including one, but... I don't get why that's a ding against it.

and then EA went through the same bull with Star Wars Battlefront 2 getting a single-player campaign only after people complained that the first game didn't have any single-player mode.

It's fair to say that EA is the source of a lot of games' problems... With Titanfall 2, they decided to release it between Battlefield 5 and whatever the CoD that year was, pretty much assuring that the already somewhat more niche Titanfall 2 would sell like crap.

All decisions having to do with the game itself, though, it seemed the devs fought tooth and nail for autonomy on those. Vince Zampella, head of Respawn Entertainment, has a notoriously cold, sometimes combative relationship with EA. In an interview a few months after Titanfall 2's release, he was asked about the prospects of a third game. An EA PR spokesperson interrupted with something along the lines of "We are dedicated to fully supporting this franchise now and in the future," to which he openly scoffed and responded, "Yeah, whatever that means."

What with the release and success of Apex Legends a few months ago now, I think Respawn are feeling pretty free to do whatever they want, and EA have hopefully learned to let them do their thing and to meddle as little as possible.

(And to be totally honest a friend hooked me up with Titanfall 2 and frankly I couldn't get into it.)

That's fair. I bought it again for PS4 after Apex Legends came out (I originally got it on PC), and playing it with a controller felt incredibly clunky, and did noticeably affect my enjoyment of those first few hours. Maybe you can try it out on PC, but that would also necessitate you having to download the hot garbage that is EA Origin.

17 hours ago, kajnrig said:

So was CoD4, and it's fondly remembered as having one of the best single-player FPS campaigns ever.

We might be splitting hairs, but CoD always had pretty great single-player campaigns.  It wasn't until more modern times that their campaigns turned into painfully short, generic, tacked-on token campaigns for their multiplayer efforts.

I mean you're not wrong that it was included because people criticized the last game for not including one, but... I don't get why that's a ding against it.

It's not really a ding against Titanfall 2, but it's a definite ding against the first one, which was the one I called out in my first post.

It's fair to say that EA is the source of a lot of games' problems...

It's fair to say that EA is the source of a lot of games' problems.  And since EA's publishing this new Star Wars, well, you can see why I'm feeling a little pessimistic.

I'll confess, though, that I'm probably a little extra salty, since BioWare was possibly my favorite developer and EA's pretty much just desecrating their corpse now.

18 hours ago, kajnrig said:

That's fair. I bought it again for PS4 after Apex Legends came out (I originally got it on PC), and playing it with a controller felt incredibly clunky, and did noticeably affect my enjoyment of those first few hours. Maybe you can try it out on PC, but that would also necessitate you having to download the hot garbage that is EA Origin.

I did play it on PC.  I only started playing PS4 for more than occasional console-exclusive in the last year or so, when my daughter got to that age where she'll play by herself but still needs an adult around to keep an eye on her.  It just never really grabbed me, but I do tend to prefer shooters that are less linear.

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

It's fair to say that EA is the source of a lot of games' problems.  And since EA's publishing this new Star Wars, well, you can see why I'm feeling a little pessimistic.

what no way ea is a fine publisher with an unblemished reputation

I'll confess, though, that I'm probably a little extra salty, since BioWare was possibly my favorite developer and EA's pretty much just desecrating their corpse now.

I've never been a big fan of Bioware, but... oof. What's come out about that studio since its acquisition by EA (and to a lesser degree even pre-dating it), is... oof.

But yeah, back to the point, I do think that of all the studios to have been gobbled up by EA, Respawn has done the best job of fighting back against the shitty everything that EA likes to force on its studios. I imagine that resilience will help it remain a quality studio longer than the Biowares and Viscerals of the world, but still... EA remains a freaking sword of Damocles hanging over the studio (and all of its games)'s metaphorical head.

Edited by kajnrig

57 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Not really 'nuff said, because I have zero idea what you're talking about. 

The basis of my post is, if the game is M, then by all means ensure the contents as M. Anything short of full nudity and exchanging of DNA is of course a no go zone as far as consoles is a given.

If Teen, well, let them, the publishers release contents for Teens. So why allow decapitations and evisceration but suddenly go  full covering up the dignity of the lady characters yet allow the guys to be "exposed"? For an M game?

Again, if MK is rated Teens, then by all means cover the gals up. If M, then go for whatever the rating limit the creators from releasing.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

So you're saying that there's a new Mortal Kombat game, and it doesn't have full-frontal nudity?

I must be seriously be out of the loop, because I don't recall ANY Mortal Kombat having full frontal nudity.

Yup. Really out of the loop.

On 4/13/2019 at 5:49 PM, Shadow said:

Unlocking a force power will cost you a dollar. Getting the actual lightsaber will cost you $5. I can see it now.

The Inquisitor actually looks pretty menacing compared with those from Rebels.

When the game was announced it was announced along with it, and highlighted that, there are no micro-transactions of any kind, and the game is story driven single player only, no multiplayer of any kind. So yeah, none of that nonsense thankfully.

25 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I don't know if you're out of the loop so much as fenrir72 simply doesn't understand that they don't understand the words that they write...

Yeah kinda this too, "woke" gets thrown around too often these days and has almost zero real meaning behind it, it's a blanket complaint with no real focus. The game is still as MK as it has ever been, and as someone who quite religiously plays every MK game, these are the fighting games I enjoy and play, I've seen zero evidence it is any less MK, or any more "woke" or any other dumb nonsense then any previous game.

34 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

ps5 official details

Man, I don't know... when I was a kid and five years was a significant fraction of my life it seemed like it took forever for a new console to come.  And the differences were huge.  Now I'm pushing 40, the PS4 doesn't seem that old to me, and it already does gaming in 4K.  How much better can graphics get?  Seems like they're trying to get me hyped for better load times.

8 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Square really need to release FFVII Remake before Sony release PS5. They better be.

After KH3, I have zero faith in the FFVII remake anymore.

5 hours ago, dragonstar1982 said:

They should have just put those games on a disc and be done with it

I'm sure they have already, in various ways. But this comes with the all-important stick, and I'm not being facetious when I say that. I think this is awesome. Now I just hope the price isn't too high and the emulation is good. Even better if it turns out to be using MAME or some other open-source emulator.

32 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

After KH3, I have zero faith in the FFVII remake anymore.

I'm sure they have already, in various ways. But this comes with the all-important stick, and I'm not being facetious when I say that. I think this is awesome. Now I just hope the price isn't too high and the emulation is good. Even better if it turns out to be using MAME or some other open-source emulator.

What I read is the price is above $200, aliens vs predator is one of the few that has never seen a home release before. Don't get me wrong I'm with you that it is awesome just not for that price point and few games hense put it all on a $60 disc and let me buy the arcade stick separate

1 hour ago, dragonstar1982 said:

What I read is the price is above $200, aliens vs predator is one of the few that has never seen a home release before. Don't get me wrong I'm with you that it is awesome just not for that price point and few games hense put it all on a $60 disc and let me buy the arcade stick separate

At that price, yeah, there's some sticker shock for sure.

Thinking on it some more, though, that's two presumably high-quality arcade sticks plus some classic games for $200. A good quality stick for one person is already in the $100-150 range. Double that for two sticks, and you're already in the same ballpark price-wise.

The value for this would be even greater if you can attach it via USB and use it as a standalone fight stick, and even greater still if you can toggle between 1-person/1-stick, 1-person/2-stick, and 2-people/2-stick setups.

But still, since I already have a stick... yeah, that asking price is intimidating.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

But this comes with the all-important stick, and I'm not being facetious when I say that.

If you're into sticks, yeah.  Where I grew up, though, arcades didn't hang around long.  I remember playing a TMNT as a kid, a little bit of Street Fighter II at Kennywood (a local amusement park), and then suddenly they were all gone outside of Dave & Busters, which seems to have naught but racing games and light gun shooters.  I'm more at home with a controller.  Maybe I'm not the target audience.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Now I just hope the price isn't too high and the emulation is good. Even better if it turns out to be using MAME or some other open-source emulator.

Their website says they're using Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT sticks, original dumps of the CPS1 and CPS2 roms, and Final Burn Alpha for the emulator.