All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

On 9/12/2018 at 11:45 PM, mikeszekely said:

I wouldn't mind any of those four costumes, either.  But-

Reveal hidden contents

I also don't mind saying that I think some of the suits on my list should have had higher priority than suits that actually made it into the game.

Reveal hidden contents

3 remaining skins have been released:

image.png

I got my Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider suit already. I'm good.

Also, I think I ended up 100%-ing the game too quickly. I didn't even realize I'd gotten the Platinum trophy. The only thing left to work on (until the DLC comes out) is completing the benchmarks, but doing those is just busy work. The NG+ that's eventually coming doesn't seem like it'll be worth it, unless they give you some cool additional unlocks to get. I should've taken my time, or preferably the game should've kept the unlockable side missions et al as end-game content. As is, they interrupted the main story because whenever I see stuff dotting the map, I need - NEED - to clear that stuff out before moving on. That's a me thing, I know, but still.

The boss fights were unique, but not quite as fun as just general melee combat. They deviate way too much from the main combat of the game, and therefore felt too gimmicky. Once you start fighting multiple of them together, though, that's when things get fun. Which is why I'm kind of disappointed that the final battle ended up being a one-on-one.

All that aside, though, man what a blast of a game. People talk about how web-swinging through New York is cathartic, and boy is it. My only complaint is that you can never seem to build up enough speed to really zip through the city. You can get close, you can get REALLY CLOSE, but the game mechanic is held back by what I assume is asset streaming. The game can only stream information so quickly, and I think it limits your maximum movement speed on account of it. Otherwise I can totally see you shooting past the draw distance before the game has the chance to catch up.

Also flying enemies are the WORST, made only MORE WORST when they ambush you in a group. I can't count how many times I had to re-search out ambush parties to complete the two bonus objectives that I normally could have done in my sleep (achieve 20 hits in the air, Swing Kick 10 times).

EDIT:

How many Scarlet Spider costumes are there? I seem to recall one that looked similar to the original Spider-Man tights, but with the Scarlet Spider-style web shooters.

Edited by kajnrig

29 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

How many Scarlet Spider costumes are there? I seem to recall one that looked similar to the original Spider-Man tights, but with the Scarlet Spider-style web shooters.

Depends on whether you're asking how many costumes were worn by the Scarlet Spider, or how many were worn by Ben Reilly, although the answer is three.

Ben Reilly had two Scarlet Spider costumes.  One is the familiar red suit and blue hoodie with the ripped sleeves he's had since the '90s and is already in the game.

503165._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg.ae75d07ce00fa746fedd302fce7695ca.jpg

The second is new costume designed for the much more recent Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider series (that just hit issue #25, so I guess two-ish years?).  I think people must have hated it, because in the third issue he switches back to the old outfit.

Ben-Reilly.jpg.2737d291f09036f7871c65bd182f0e56.jpg

The third Scarlet Spider suit (and the one in the new DLC) is Kaine's.  It was originally Spider-Man's stealth suit, but Kaine got it during the Spider Island event.  The new Madame Web gave it the current look, though, when Kaine got his own Scarlet Spider series in 2011.  Kaine still goes by Scarlet Spider and appears regularly in the current Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider series.  So three Scarlet Spider costumes.  I'm partial to this one-  I loved his Scarlet Spider series.  

2414784-tumblr_m5hjuuHWtK1qixzk4o1_500.jpg.528d93e47569ba28ccb4235038c26341.jpg

The creatives at Marvel haven't been a fan of Spidey being married for a long time, though, and One More Day wasn't the first attempt at undoing the married Spidey thing.  In the '90s Marvel tried to sell us on the idea that Peter Parker, the Spider-Man we'd been following all these years, was actually the clone and Ben Reilly was the original.  Since MJ was pregnant at the time anyway, Peter decided to retire and pass the mantle of Spider-Man to Ben (hence, three Ben Reilly costumes).  Sometime later Marvel started their M2 line, depicting an alternate near-future of the Marvel universe.  In M2, Peter and Mary Jane had a daughter named May who inherited Peter's spider powers and became Spider-Girl.  I can't remember if it was coincidence or what, but May's used Ben's Spidey costume and not her dad's.  That's probably the costume you're thinking of.

Spider-Man_Vol_1_65_Connecting_Variant.jpg.4b5bc7b7298d07f45f3e0b8ee2cc257a.jpg

Ben's Spidey costume, the Civil War Iron Spidey, and Superior Spider-Man are probably the biggest omissions left if we're not counting the black costume or Miles' costume.  I mean, I could probably come up with a dozen more, but those are the biggies.

Ah yes, that last one was what I was thinking of. I completely forgot that May used it in her spinoff series. I think the recent-ish Scarlet Spider costume (the second one you showed) is pretty neat, though I can see why fans didn't fall for it. It reminds me of one of the hooded Robin designs. The original costume just has a certain je ne sais quoi that puts it above even the original Spider-Man outfit. Maybe it's the ripped hoodie.

Anyway, in other gaming news, Soul Calibur VI is out in just a couple more days. Bandai Namco have had a retrospective going on Youtube:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey (very good, but I kind of liked Origins better) for the last month. Got the Platinum before turning in last night. Kind of funny that in I've been gaming on PlayStation consoles since the original and went all that time without getting a Platinum trophy, then I suddenly Platinum the last two games I played.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else following the Game Awards announcements?  I could honestly care less about who wins what, but Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Obsidian's The Outer Worlds came out of nowhere and immediately jumped into my "must have" list.

10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Anybody else following the Game Awards announcements?  I could honestly care less about who wins what, but Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Obsidian's The Outer Worlds came out of nowhere and immediately jumped into my "must have" list.

I am insanely hyped for Outer Worlds! Obsidian is pretty brilliant, I am hoping this game scratches the first person RPG itch I wish Fallout 4 would've, which was a massively disappointing RPG experience.

Ick. That's an easy pass on Ultimate Alliance. It's got the same horrible art style that doomed MvC:I.

EDIT:

Also ick that MK trailer was painful to sit through. I can't wait to see all the bad animation they've come up with this time!

Edited by kajnrig

3 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I am insanely hyped for Outer Worlds! Obsidian is pretty brilliant, I am hoping this game scratches the first person RPG itch I wish Fallout 4 would've, which was a massively disappointing RPG experience.

I liked Fallout 4... but I also liked 3 and New Vegas.  And games set in space.

EDIT: Oh, and speaking of Obsidian, I loved and will defend to the death Alpha Protocol.

Edited by mikeszekely

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

The art style did not doom MvC, lack of X-Men doomed it.

The art style started a fire of controversy that snowballed with other issues such as the characters that Disney/Marvel wouldn't allow.

The visuals definitely turned off fans of Capcom fighters, example:

DCMMmX0UQAAX7B_.jpg 

Chun at launch time. Whoa, was that a shock to the system!

maxresdefault.jpg 

On the left is Chun in Marvel Vs Capcom 3, the older PS2 era title, on the right, MvC:Infinite after a much needed face fix, but with very unflattering body proportions. The Capcom characters all look as if they got 1/10th of the development time from artists, while the Marvel characters all look pretty good.

The lack of mainstays like Wolverine, Dr. Doom, Dark Phoenix and other Marvel characters did hurt, I won't deny that.  As did the switch from teams of 3 characters to teams of 2 characters.  I personally can only really handle a team of 2 so far, so I kind of welcomed that.

This is my goto fighter to play with my nephew.  The gameplay mechanics, themselves, have garnered praise.  Even, dare I say, more than DragonBall FighterZ. But DBFz looks 1000x's better than MvC:I.  It is fun, so if you want a team-based fighter for your PS4, by all means pick it up.

If by some miracle Disney/Marvel/Fox would now allow a patch to add the X-Men, Doom, etc back in and Capcom updated the visuals one last bit, I think the game would experience a rebirth of sorts.

Quick question for those of you who own both a PS4 and an Xbox One... how do you decide which console to buy a game for? 

I bought both at or near launch and for a long time I'd buy the PlayStation exclusives and the Xbox exclusives for their respective platforms, but I'd primarily been a PC gamer.  A conflux of events- a top-shelf PS exclusive, some lifestyle changes that making console gaming a little more convenient than PC gaming, and a gaming rig that's pushing past its prime- has had me buying a lot more games for my PS4, though.

There's an annual get together I have with my friends, and part of that get together is playing Rock Band on Xbox.  When that caused me to dust off the old behemoth and do the updates I realized that the Xbox One's web browser and multimedia functions are a little better than the PS4's.  I had also gotten used to moving the PlayStation between the living room and my bedroom TVs, and there was no way I was doing that with the Xbox One and it's giant power brick.  So on a whim I bought myself an Xbox One X for Christmas.  And having a new toy means wanting to play games on it... except aside from the exclusives I'd pretty much bought everything I wanted to play on either the PS4 or the PC (or, depending on the sales, sometimes both).

Now I'm looking ahead, and I'm just not sure which console I'd buy new games for.  To be clear, I don't play multiplayer games that aren't splitscreen with the people in the my living room, so online friends or communities or PS Plus or Xbox Live Gold aren't really deciding factors (and I actually have four Dual Shock 4s and four Xbox One controllers, so splitscreen's a wash).

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Quick question for those of you who own both a PS4 and an Xbox One... how do you decide which console to buy a game for?

My friends have Xbox, so multiplayer games are for Xbox.  Solo adventure games and anything Namco is for the PS4.  For anything else, given the game looks and plays equally good on either console, whatever is cheaper wins my choice.

20 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Some games are exclusive to a given platform. Street Fighter V was initially a PS4 exclusive because Sony paid Capcom to develop it. You can now play it on PC through Steam, but not on Xbox. That made the choice very easy for me.

So this is only tangential, but my favorite Youtube channel, Super Best Friends Play, is officially over and done with.

I wouldn't make a point of mentioning it, but it surprisingly hit me more significantly than I expected and would care to admit. Aside from their actual LP content, they also habitually and heavily promoted others in the gaming industry, from artists to content creators to indie devs; many of whom would go on to surpass them in popularity. They helped boost Maximilian Dood and YoVideogames when they were just starting out, and now Max is the most popular fighting game Youtuber in the world. They might very well be the reason that Metal Wolf Chaos is getting an HD re-release.

Anyway. I'm kinda bummed.

5 hours ago, Gerli said:

Also 2018 was a Horrible year for gaming... the only good things were the announcements for games coming next year ...<_<

Did you not get Spider-Man in Argentina?

(I also really liked Assassin's Creed Odyssey, but it didn't have the same impact Origins did).

2 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Did you not get Spider-Man in Argentina?

(I also really liked Assassin's Creed Odyssey, but it didn't have the same impact Origins did).

It was good? I'm not into arcade games really, but I didn't hear much about that game (Besides the puddle-gate and everything) :p