All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Just finished The Last of Us. I don't think I've ever been so depressed playing a video game before. The setting is just bleak, and the realistic CGI just makes it worse.

That said, I don't think a video game's ever made me care so much about its characters like that either. The storytelling and characterization, while unoriginal and predictable, is expertly presented. Unlike most characters designed to make you go all warm and fuzzy inside, Ellie in the beginning does absolutely nothing to make you like her. As a player, I feel exactly as Joel does in my indifference towards the abrasive, potty-mouthed 14-year-old kid. But as the story unfolds and she lets her guard down, she starts to endear you to her in the subtlest ways, without you even knowing it. Kudos to the game director.

I noticed a glitch during a new game plus playthrough. It seems that whenever I pick up and use a new weapon like the revolver or bow, the game either hangs or I some of the controls stop working. Anyone else experience this, too?

Edited by GU-11

Rumor: Microsoft may be upgrading the specs of the Xbox One before its release

Considering hardware development just got a new boss, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a spec bump prior to release.

This is supposed to be out in what, 4 months? Millions of units? And they haven't already started production on them?

And an additional 4GB of RAM? Uh, yeah, how much of a loss does MS plan to take on this thing?

Edited by Duke Togo

Quick question guys: what sort of cable do you use to connect the PS3 controller to the PS3 in order to charge it? I haven't used the wireless Dual Shock 3 controller in years, but I bought one today to play with it but.........I don't have that cable. Where do I get one of those?

Not to be confused with usb mini mega, mini mega micro, or mini mega micro max. For those you have to contact apple. :lol:

Really though, I realized that I have a ton of those cords, either for phone chargers, camera cables, or portable hard drives. It's quite handy they used something so standard.

Capcim just announced a new Strider game, being developed by Double Helix.

Yikes. From the company that made the worst Silent Hill game, the game adaptions for G.I. Joe, Green Lantern, and Battleship. I think their best work might have been Front Mission Evolved, which I thought was at least mildly amusing if not good, but was generally not well-received. I feel sorry for Strider fans: right now I'm thanking the Flying Spaghetti Monster that Double Helix didn't get their hands on Mega Man.

Have to say I'm thorougly confused now. Are they mashing up the original Strangereal universe plot with the real world? Definitely seeing what looks like superweapon emplacements.

Whichever world it winds up in, I just hope they have the sense to drag the franchise back into the land of "Doesntsuckonia."

It is just a less than a minute trailer for now, but it seems project aces want to reboot the series? I hope not, it is confusing indeed.

I apologize about my last post, turns out it had nothing to do with ace combat at all.

It is just a less than a minute trailer for now, but it seems project aces want to reboot the series? I hope not, it is confusing indeed.

I apologize about my last post, turns out it had nothing to do with ace combat at all.

Digital download only release, I assume this means it's a traditional AC game (aka established game engine that doesn't require a lot of development time). That's my guess, anyway.

Maybe this is the HD re-release everyone's been asking for, but they blended elements from all the games into one? I don't know. The way they're talking, it's like they want to link the two game universes together via some cataclysmic event, like some sci-fi parallel world portal stuff. They're clearly bringing aircraft out of completely different universes together already.

Much as I can appreciate how the f2p market is such a huge moneymaker for developers, I'm not at all interested in online play for any AC game, or one where you have to shell out cash to unlock aircraft or weapons. I just want a solid story, and some fun flying around blowing stuff up.

I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand that niche fanbases are niche for a reason, and just cater to them. <_<

Maybe this is the HD re-release everyone's been asking for, but they blended elements from all the games into one? I don't know. The way they're talking, it's like they want to link the two game universes together via some cataclysmic event, like some sci-fi parallel world portal stuff. They're clearly bringing aircraft out of completely different universes together already.

Much as I can appreciate how the f2p market is such a huge moneymaker for developers, I'm not at all interested in online play for any AC game, or one where you have to shell out cash to unlock aircraft or weapons. I just want a solid story, and some fun flying around blowing stuff up.

I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand that niche fanbases are niche for a reason, and just cater to them. <_<

At least there will be some parts of Stragerealworld in it. A war between Strangereal and Earth would be cool! The Demons of Razgriz will return, my AC feed on FB had a post that read: "Ridgeback One, Edge report."

Word is that Infinity will be F2P. What exactly that means for players, I don't know.

What that probably means is it'll only be the multiplayer from the last few AC games, no singleplayer, and you'll start with maybe three planes. You want more planes and better weapons? Bust out the wallet, 'cuz it's gonna cost you some real money.

They're clearly bringing aircraft out of completely different universes together already.

They've already done that, though. CFA-44 was in Ace Combat 6 and Assault Horizon. The ASF-X turning up in Infinity just means that it's easier to re-use assets, not that they're going to blend their real-world setting and their Strangereal one.

Actually, Namco blended the Strangereal world with a ton of other Namco properties. Ridge Racer takes place in Strangreal (which shouldn't be a surprise... wasn't it already suggested that Kei Nagase in AC2 and Reiko Nagase in Ridge Racer 4 were sisters?).

PS3TalesofGracesf_zps0b260fe6.jpg

just started this. as a big TALES series fan, i was really exited about getting the opportunity to pick it up relatively cheap second hand after missing out on it's street release about a year ago.

it's kind of slow in starting so far, with some fairly insipid dialogue, but you do the game out with the main charas as pre-teen children,

with a several year jump to their late-teens/early adulthood a little ways in yet, so i've heard, so perhaps the sophistication of the inter-character banter will pick up soon.

at any rate, saw that this was coming out when i was at the shop, and went ahead and pre-ordered the deluxe edition. supposed to be due out early next month;

Tales_Xillia_Cyan_zpsae48a089.jpg

talesofxilliacollectorsedition_zps2f095b

looks promising, IMHO.

funny though, IMO, how NAMCO has always traditionally enjoyed deferring between MUTSUMI INOMATA and KOSUKE FUJISHIMA

for their TALES' chara work seemingly at random throughout the series' 10+ year history now...

Edited by Shaorin

I just want a traditional AC again like AC4. I left the series after AC Zero and have only glanced back as the series was taken down many different dark alley's.

I specifically want an HD re-release of AC3 with all the content that was cut from the U.S. release. I freaking loved that game.

Forget the cutesy anime RGPs for a minute... is anyone playing Shin Megami Tensei IV? SMT3 was one of my favorite games on the PS2, so I was super-psyched for SMTIV. On the normal difficulty, SMTIV is easily as hard as 3, maybe more so. I turned the difficulty down and I'm enjoying it a lot more now that I'm not dying every other encounter.

The game has a lot of the hallmarks of the SMT series... you control a single human protagonist, you bribe demons to join you, and you fuse them to make strong demons. It's got the press turn battle system. There are plenty of mysterious characters, and a story that seems to laying the groundwork for the philosophies you'll eventually pick from to determine the ending. Despite the similarities, though, it feels a lot different (and so far, less dark) than SMT3.

They've already done that, though. CFA-44 was in Ace Combat 6 and Assault Horizon. The ASF-X turning up in Infinity just means that it's easier to re-use assets, not that they're going to blend their real-world setting and their Strangereal one.

Ah, wasn't aware there was any mixing with that game, since I gave up on the demo and never gave it a second thought.

AC6 wasn't nearly as bad, if you ignored the storyline, and just enjoyed the flying. :p

Edited by Chronocidal

Forget the cutesy anime RGPs for a minute...

there's more than enough good clean testicle-frendly material for everyone around here to share, 99% of the time.

plenty of room left indeed for a touch of discussion on the JRPGs that one might catch their icky-dumb little sister playing...

Edited by Shaorin

Ah, wasn't aware there was any mixing with that game, since I gave up on the demo and never gave it a second thought.

AC6 wasn't nearly as bad, if you ignored the storyline, and just enjoyed the flying. :p

AC6 was about 2/3 of a good AC game, with the last third being made up of poorly implemented mulitplayer and BS paid DLC.

So are the anime-based JRPGs (Tales of Grace f, Atelia series) worth checking out? I've been somewhat starved of a good JRPG for awhile now. I've been a long time Final Fantasy fan but haven't really enjoyed any of the games since after FF9 (11 doesn't count :p ). Valkyria Chronicles was the last JRPG I really enjoyed. Currently playing through Ni No Kuni and loving the art, music and battle system. I'm 20 hours in and the story hasn't really drawn me in yet and I think I've heard the word 'jeepers' enough for one lifetime. I know it was geared towards children but still wish the localization was alittle more palattable.

i think that, story wise, today's JRPG's are being geared more and more towards the kiddie set.

Tales of Graces looks fine enough on first inspection, at least it did to me,

however, about 7 hours or so in now, what has passed for story so far has, to me,

come right off as rather juvenile and generally poorly thought out and written. it's certainly no Tales of Symphonia, IMHO.

truly, i really want to really like Graces, and i hope things will be picking up soon, at least a little bit.

the way it's going so far though, i really just don't know about that. i can only hope the upcoming Tales of Xillia is much better overall.

now, i wouldn't be touching the Atelier series at all unless you are really attracted to the Chara design (as i am) and have a lot of patience.

Atelier Rorona is the only entry in the series i have attempted to play through, and all i can really say is,

if you like running your ass off, trying to journey around to collect various items in order to fill a bunch of Alchemy short-orders

all set within rather tight deadlines, well then the Atelier series is most certainly for you.

in sum, things truly have changed so far as JRPG's go, and how much you might enjoy today's offerings

depends pretty much on how old you are, how "Mature" you are for your age, or how much you enjoy the concept

of living a fetishized childhood vicariously through a Video Game. in sum, as i might have just aiready implied;

They just don't Make Them like they Used To... :mellow: :( :mellow:

Edited by Shaorin