All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Been playing Dragon's Dogma. It's fairly difficult as I tend to die quite a bit even on the easy difficulty. If you do play it, make sure you do yourself a solid and have the guy that makes forgeries make an additional copy of your side quest items as some side quests want the same item for the best reward. Other than that I'm fairly addicted to it. It has a great cross class system that allows you to assign skills and abilities to other classes (think FF Tactics).

Been playing Dragon's Dogma. It's fairly difficult as I tend to die quite a bit even on the easy difficulty. If you do play it, make sure you do yourself a solid and have the guy that makes forgeries make an additional copy of your side quest items as some side quests want the same item for the best reward. Other than that I'm fairly addicted to it. It has a great cross class system that allows you to assign skills and abilities to other classes (think FF Tactics).

On Dragons Dogma, did they tone down how much the NPCs audibly yell at you/tell you to move/bug you? Or can you turn off NPC quotes?

On Dragons Dogma, did they tone down how much the NPCs audibly yell at you/tell you to move/bug you? Or can you turn off NPC quotes?

I just turned off the subtitles and when doing the pawn mentoring you can tell them to stfu.

I just turned off the subtitles and when doing the pawn mentoring you can tell them to stfu.

I will now reconsider this game! Thanks for the info! I've only played the demo, and it was friggin incessant.

So you actually train them to shut up? Excellent.

If only all minions could learn this.

So, I've been playing metal gear rising. Does anyone else think this game is crazy hard, or is it just me? I had to bump down to easy from normal after the dog kept kicking my butt. The parry dynamic is pretty hard to get down without the assist! I salute you guys who can clear this game on very hard!

So, I've been playing metal gear rising. Does anyone else think this game is crazy hard, or is it just me? I had to bump down to easy from normal after the dog kept kicking my butt. The parry dynamic is pretty hard to get down without the assist! I salute you guys who can clear this game on very hard!

Parrying is actually not as hard as it seems. The trick is to set it up as you see an attack coming, i.e. don't wait to time it with an attack, use it pre-emptively. Normal is definately on the hard side though. I'm at the last fight, and I've had to go back and level some stuff up just to try and hang out through it. Very fun though.

In anticipation of DUST 514 (and to use up some gift cards leftover from XMas) I have purchased a PS3. Since most games are multiplatform now and the one console exclusive I want is on PS3, I broke down and bought one.

So, speak to me as a recent convert: what games should I look to indulge in?

Well, I'll say this much. Even on normal mode, it's no pushover. I was able to survive boss battles without getting killed up until Monsoon, where I repeated several times before finally figuring out his offenses and defense, and working around them. The final boss was hell in a hand-basket until I got the hang of using blade mode and cut up the junk he threw at me.

I've been able to play comfortably through the game in normal mode after that, but I'm definitely going to fully upgrade the Murasama and Armor Breaker AND get the yellow custom body before taking on harder levels.

As for parrying, I couldn't get one in ten tries to connect. What I do is to continuously flick the left analog stick toward the enemy even as I attack. That way, even if I don't parry, I still automatically block any attacks. This has worked out pretty well for me.

Parrying is actually not as hard as it seems. The trick is to set it up as you see an attack coming, i.e. don't wait to time it with an attack, use it pre-emptively. Normal is definately on the hard side though. I'm at the last fight, and I've had to go back and level some stuff up just to try and hang out through it. Very fun though.

The only times I've successfully parried was during the tutorial and in the game, mostly by accident. I tried pre-emptively parrying, but mostly I just manage to block the attack.

In anticipation of DUST 514 (and to use up some gift cards leftover from XMas) I have purchased a PS3. Since most games are multiplatform now and the one console exclusive I want is on PS3, I broke down and bought one.

If you're into RPG's I strongly recommend Valkyria Chronicles. It's got a great story, good gameplay and the anime-based graphics make it somewhat ageless.

You can't go wrong with GoW3, as well as Deus Ex - Human Revolution, and Metal Gear Solid 4.

The Transformers fan in me strongly suggests you buy War for Cybertron and especially Fall of Cybertron. Beautiful graphics, decent gameplay, and besides, it's about giant transforming robots killing each other in a metal battlefield!

Plus, you know, I hear there's this new Macross game out for the ps3, if you don't mind reading Japanese. :lol:

Not to cross the threads and start talking about it here, but I'm enjoying the gameplay, even without knowing what anyone is saying.

Aside from that, all I've gotten for the ps3 so far is StarHawk, and I'm planning on playing Chrono Cross again when I find my discs.

Journey. Try it on the PSN store as a demo first. If you don't like artsy stuff at all, you might not like it. Otherwise it's seriously worth getting.

Demon's souls if you like old school hard core unforgiving gameplay with really nice modern visuals. The combat physics are really great. Your weapons actually impact with the environment.

Thanks for the tips on Metal Gear Rising guys. I just spammed R1 + Triangle (the slide kick) on the blade wolf a ton, leading up to Raiden's crazy sword kick/jab heavy combo, which did tons of damage, allowing me to finish him off. But, I still think I'm gonna bump down to easy to enjoy my first playthrough without frustration (I bought the game for the story, surprisingly :) )

In other news, I actually got Legend of the Dragoon on my Vita. A friend of mine from elementary school (who is also my college roommate! ) had it and we both remember playing it together as kids, so when the recent Vita update allowed us to get it on Vita, we jumped on the possibility. I always really liked the addition system, and it really was both our first real "RPG" experience, so it has a special place in my heart :p

Edited by Archer

In other news, I actually got Legend of the Dragoon on my Vita. A friend of mine from elementary school (who is also my college roommate! ) had it and we both remember playing it together as kids,

I remember that game. My brother got it for the PlayStation.

...when I was in college.

For those that have been living under a rock for the past four months, Kaiju Combat is a PC fighting game from Sunstone Games featuring giant monsters currently constructing its very first release and upon launch will be one of the first video games in history to have all of its big decisions from the fans themselves. All of the original giant monsters were designed by fans that donated 500 dollars to the kickstarter for this video game. If the first release is successful enough they will launch more titles featuring many licensed monsters from giant monster franchises such as Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman, and possibly anime titles (Glavil from Macross 7? Afos from Macross Zero? They does meet the standards!). Right now the permanent roster for the first release is being done; round 1 of 3 finished midnight of today and round 2 is currently being done. Anybody that contributed to the kickstarter with 5 dollars or more (like me) get official voting rights. Newcomers are welcome too if they preorder the game. This developing franchise is being spearheaded by Simon Strange, a video game developer that has been part of the giant monster fandom and has done several Pipeworks titles including the Atari Godzilla trilogy and Rampage: Total Destruction. The first title will feature the titular monster from the recently released novel Project Nemesis by Jeremy Robinson as the final boss; the 20+ year old Japanese Sci-Fi club Monster Attack Team also collaborated with Sunstone for the first true original kaiju of the franchise via a squid alien invader named Ikameijin. The guest roster also includes several monsters from the group Kaiju Land as the free release and round 1 voted in three fan monsters named Tornaq (a polar bear spirit), Macrosaurus (an obese tyrannosaur), and Katyusha (a Russian mouse with a cannon on her back; think Pikachu meets sci-fi Rambo).

https://kaijucombat.wiki.zoho.com/About-Kaiju-Combat.html

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Anyways... 19 days 'til Bioshock Infinite!

Anyone else super excited about this because I'm super excited.

BTW, anyone else notice the life size skyhook replica they're selling?

I'll be honest, I much preferred the old design that showed up in the early gameplay demo's. It was such a simple, eligant piece of victorian kit.

this thing... kind of a monstrosity:

necaskyhook.jpg

Eh, give it a week, and someone will hack the game to make it playable offline. If anyone cares enough to put up the effort to do so, I mean. I'd think most people would just go back to playing the older titles instead, if they're that intent on playing Sim City.

That number's out of date too.. it's up to about 1200 1 star reviews.

I'm indeed looking forward to Bioshock Infinite but I'm going to hold off until the reviews are out.

I'm going to try one of the Battlefield 3 map packs but I'm cut between Karkand (I had the basic BF3) and Armored Kill. Not sure really which is the better DLC. Karkand actually gives you additional guns along with maps while Armored Kill is just four large maps.

I love battlefield 3, I say if you had to get one get the karkand DLC, but you should get all of them. I feel that armored kill maps aren't that great but the AC-130 (gunship) is fun. The armored kill maps I think are too big for consoles than PC. But the others Back to Karkland, Close Quarters, Aftermath and End Game are tits!!

I love in Aftermath the map Epicenter there are random aftershocks throughout the game so you be zeroing in on somebody then the whole area shakes.

Edited by Murphy

Well, I finished persona 4, and man was it an epic run. Anybody have thoughts on persona 3? I'd like to get portable since it functions on the vita, and since I won't have access to the PS3 for about 2 months.

Any opinions on FES vs. Portable for Persona 3?

I'm indeed looking forward to Bioshock Infinite but I'm going to hold off until the reviews are out.

I'm going to try one of the Battlefield 3 map packs but I'm cut between Karkand (I had the basic BF3) and Armored Kill. Not sure really which is the better DLC. Karkand actually gives you additional guns along with maps while Armored Kill is just four large maps.

Back to Karkand is fun. Armored Kill is good if you haven't used the vehicles much. I actually started trying my hand with the jets with Armored Kill (I don't fly jets). Close Quarters is like Metro x2. Tight space madness. You gotta watch the corners. Aftermath is OK. Lots of nooks and crannies. I'm downloading Endgame so I haven't played that.

Well, I finished persona 4, and man was it an epic run. Anybody have thoughts on persona 3? I'd like to get portable since it functions on the vita, and since I won't have access to the PS3 for about 2 months.

Any opinions on FES vs. Portable for Persona 3?

To get Persona 3 working on the PSP, some changes were made. The most jarring coming off 4 is that you don't move around outside dungeons, you move a pointer and click on stuff. I liked the story better, but you develop better party relationships in 4. 3 is a little harder, and I prefer the top-down dungeon view in 3. All-in-all, 3 is an excellent game, but it's a step down if you've already played 4.

I like having direct control of my party, so I prefer P3P to Fes. Plus, as you said, it's nice to have them both on your Vita. Be aware, though, that Fes has a 20+ hour epilogue that P3P doesn't have.

+1 on both Valkyria Chronicles and Demon Souls series games. Great challenges on both games, but polar opposites in terms of environment.

I highly recommend Xcom Enemy Unknown. It's kinda watered down from the old PC games, but it's still a blast to play.

Dead space 3 awakened. Sh*t just got real... :o

also, I'm just about to start a classic mode run... I'm scared for my life. :unsure:

Hooray he's insane again!

+1 on both Valkyria Chronicles and Demon Souls series games. Great challenges on both games, but polar opposites in terms of environment.

I highly recommend Xcom Enemy Unknown. It's kinda watered down from the old PC games, but it's still a blast to play.

I also recommend XCOM EU but be warned, it will eat up all your spare time.

Hooray he's insane again!

I'll be honest, I'm going to miss being not completely crazy and an utterly unstoppable badass.

BTW, Classic mode is brutal, even with DLC weapons.

:edit:

I'm wondering about the DLC, since it's an epilog to the main game, will you be able to append it to an existing cleared save/New game + and continue using your stuff.

Edited by anime52k8

I've been playing the new Tomb Raider game, and I'm not sure how to put this... Its a great game, but I don't like it. I've played every TR game going back to the first one on the PS, and there was that sense of wonder and exploration in each of the games, but there's none of that in here. Its like they went out of their way to make TR for dummies. There's almost no exploration with the maps being very linear going from point A to B with hidden items not so hidden. In the event you get lost there's a button for survival mode that highlights where you need to go, and what items you have to interact with to do it. The original Core Designs games were ball busting punishment difficulty wise pretty much leaving you on your own to figure things out along with wonky controls. The last three Crystal Dynamics games(Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) made it slightly easier and struck a perfect balance with vastly improved controls. I enjoyed them a lot more than I am enjoying this current one. People have told me it plays like uncharted, but I've never played it.

My other pet pev is that this is supposed to be Lara's first adventure(as opposed to the other 3 games that already covered that) so she's not used to killing yet. Its a little annoying hearing her scream "Please, I don't want to kill you! We can work together we don't have to kill each other!" All while 20 enemies are chucking molotov cocktails and shooting you.

People have told me it plays like uncharted, but I've never played it.

Well of course it plays like Uncharted; it's only Sony's single biggest cash cow and the only action-adventure game anyone gives a crap about anymore.

Personally, I was kind of interested in the new Tomb Raider simply because it looked radically different from the previous games (which I've never actually liked). but given that I'm still heavily intrenched in Dead Space 3 right now and by the time I wrap that up Bioshock Infinite will be out, I don't think I'll be picking Tomb Raider Up any time soon.

That said, this has peeked my interest. It's not nearly Dead Space tier, but it's a pretty damn good death reel none the less.