All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

No, I don't remember it being difficult or anything like that. Just tedious. Like the entire game takes place in one part of a colony thing, and you have to go back and forth through several areas to pick up new things, and there's not that many different types of enemies.

Okay, that's not such a big problem, then. Honestly, I'm still undecided. As silly as it sounds, I only took an interest in the ZOE games after buying the Kotobukiya Jehuty kit. I'll watch a couple of youtube clips and see how I like the feel of the game.

A part of me really wants to get the ZOE collection. I did enjoy playing them, especially the second one.

But $40 seems like an awful lot for a pair of older games that can be completed in one afternoon... combined. It took me around 4 hours to finish the first one, and I remember reading in an interview with Kojima where he suggested that ZOE 2 would be twice as long. I was pretty pissed when I finished ZOE 2 in 2 hours, 47 minutes.

You skipped the story then? Just curious.

I hadn't heard much from Hawken. I was wondering if it'd been released yet. As usual, the videos make the game look pretty awesome.

I got into one of the alpha tests, and the gameplay was pretty awesome. The mechs could use some more customization options, but it really doesn't hurt the overall experience.

I may be the only one but I'm excited to pick up my WiiU in six days. It's not all kids games, they've got that Blacksy Opsey Twosie game as well! Not that it matters to me. I go to Nintendo for weird ideas, not for super computers. I'll leave the "regular" stuff to my PC and 360.

The part of me that grew up playing the NES, Super NES, and heck, even the N64... the part of me that loved his Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, DS Lite, and his 3DS XL is curious. I want to like it, and the fact that it's got Bayonetta 2 and New Super Mario Bros U isn't hurting it.

At some point along the way, I actively started disliking my Wii, though. I hate the interface. I hate the Miis. I hate the motion controls. And I hate most of the games, which is a real shame considering that there are a few gems on that system.

So the part of me that remembers the Nintendo logo as red on black is at war with the part of me that thinks of the Nintendo logo as gray on white, and the stalemate is broken by the fact that I haven't played a game on a console... on any console... in months. I've got around 40 hours into Borderlands 2 on PC, though, with Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders 2 downloaded but in the queue. And I'm kind of hoping to see Dishonored on this year's Steam holiday sale...

Reviews all seem to say it has 4-player split screen.

Sorry, forgot to be more specific. I was interested in whether or not it has 4 player offline splitscreen in zombies mode, since that's really the only mode we play when my friends and I get together.

It was limited to only two players in world at war and black ops, so I was hoping it would be different since they switched zombies to the multiplayer scheme.

I'm interested in seeing how the Wii U does. It's an intersting platform, but I want to see the games that drive it before committing.

I've really no interest in the Wii U. Except for the fact that Bayonetta 2 is an exclusive. I may pick one up on Bayonetta's release if it lives up to the original. Though even though being published by Nintendo, I hope that it sees a release on PS4/720 as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a Wii U Deluxe tonight on an impulse buy. First impression was a bit sour due to the 3 hour system update out of the box. Fortunately the updates to Youtube and SMBU were quick (2 and 3 minutes respectively), though they didn't help.

Finally got around to playing Sleeping Dogs. I don't know why I waited so long, I think it might be my game of the year.

It's on the short side for a sandbox game, but the fight mechanics are revolutionary for a game of this genre, and the graphics are much better than GTA IV's. You might not notice this, but at least 80% of the NPC's speak fluent and natural sounding Cantonese, although the cursing might be a tad on the heavy side.

It's on the short side for a sandbox game, but the fight mechanics are revolutionary for a game of this genre, and the graphics are much better than GTA IV's. You might not notice this, but at least 80% of the NPC's speak fluent and natural sounding Cantonese, although the cursing might be a tad on the heavy side.

I didn't think it was too short. I didn't do any of the non-mandatory street racing, karaoke, or camera-hacking drug busts, and I got a good 22 hours out of it, according to Steam. I'm guessing that could be extended to 30+ when all the story DLC is released.

Side note: while I've enjoyed many a sandbox game, I've never really loved them and I actually never cared for GTA at all. So for Sleeping Dogs to make such an impact on me was really impressive.

I did notice the Cantonese, but I can't comment on its accuracy. My strongest ties to Chinese culture are in or from Beijing, so if it's not Mandarin it might as well be Russian to me.

Picked up a Wii U Deluxe tonight on an impulse buy. First impression was a bit sour due to the 3 hour system update out of the box. Fortunately the updates to Youtube and SMBU were quick (2 and 3 minutes respectively), though they didn't help.

Three hours??? What sort of internet connection do you have? It was an hour for me, though that's not a great impression. At first it was confusing until I learned to embrace the fact I don't need, or want, to have to type garbage in on a giant screen with L and R buttons. Embrace looking down at the screen to get anything done that isn't video gaming/watching related.

Really? I stopped playing it. The combat was so boring. It was like an uninteresting Arkham Asylum/City.

3MB DSL.

Today has been pretty good. Only one 20 minute update to NintendoLand and played about an hour of that and 2 hours or so of NSMBU with my kids off and on.

Definitely enjoying the GamePad. Certain Apps (like Youtube) seem to have it backasswards (list should be on the Gamepad and video should be on the TV, and/or have a curtain like the browser) but I like the screen and have always wanted something like the Dreamcast VMU to come back (even if this isn't quite it, hopefully it's the start and PS4 at least has the option to use a Vita as a regular controller, etc). Hopefully NFC gets used, too.

Now contemplating the next game. Reviews of ZombieU mostly have me waiting for the bargain bin and/or big sale on it. Top choice leaning on is Arkham City Armored Edition but also considering Madden and NBA2k13...

3MB DSL.

Today has been pretty good. Only one 20 minute update to NintendoLand and played about an hour of that and 2 hours or so of NSMBU with my kids off and on.

Definitely enjoying the GamePad. Certain Apps (like Youtube) seem to have it backasswards (list should be on the Gamepad and video should be on the TV, and/or have a curtain like the browser) but I like the screen and have always wanted something like the Dreamcast VMU to come back (even if this isn't quite it, hopefully it's the start and PS4 at least has the option to use a Vita as a regular controller, etc). Hopefully NFC gets used, too.

Now contemplating the next game. Reviews of ZombieU mostly have me waiting for the bargain bin and/or big sale on it. Top choice leaning on is Arkham City Armored Edition but also considering Madden and NBA2k13...

What reviews of ZombiU have you been reading? It's the strongest title for the system IMO.

Really? I stopped playing it. The combat was so boring. It was like an uninteresting Arkham Asylum/City.

To each his own, I guess. I'm a fan of Dynasty Warriors, so that should tell you something about my tastes in games. :lol:

Seriously though, I find the compbat mechanics a lot better than GTA IV's, not that you do all that much hand-to-hand combat in GTA anyways. The fighting mechanics in Sleeping Dogs is as complex or simple as you want it to be. You can brawl your way out or turn it into a choreographed fight scene--it's all up to you.

That said, I understand that if you're not a fan of Hong Kong crime dramas and Chinese triads, Sleeping Dogs probably won't appeal to you. Besides, the game is not really in the same genre as the Arkham games. It's a sandbox game in the same vein as GTA.

I didn't think it was too short. I didn't do any of the non-mandatory street racing, karaoke, or camera-hacking drug busts, and I got a good 22 hours out of it, according to Steam. I'm guessing that could be extended to 30+ when all the story DLC is released.

Side note: while I've enjoyed many a sandbox game, I've never really loved them and I actually never cared for GTA at all. So for Sleeping Dogs to make such an impact on me was really impressive.

I did notice the Cantonese, but I can't comment on its accuracy. My strongest ties to Chinese culture are in or from Beijing, so if it's not Mandarin it might as well be Russian to me.

I've played GTA IV before, and comparing it's 60 plus hours of gameplay to Sleeping Dogs, the latter is certainly on the short side. It does make up for it with a bit of replayability, though. I got about 40 to 60+ hours from it, after winning all the extra races and drug busting sidequests.

I grew up watching Cantonese movies from Hong Kong--I'd say the dialog from the NPC's is pretty much spot on. One of the girls in the karaoke bar, though, sounds like either a Canadian or American-born Chinese, and speaks barely legible Cantonese.

While we're on the subject of language, Wei Shen's name isn't even Cantonese, but Mandarin. Probably a play of words, since in a certain intonation, it could mean "danger." TBH, I've no idea what his name would translate to in Cantonese, as Wei or Shen don't sound like any Chinese family name...not even sure which one is his family name.

Edited by GU-11

To each his own, I guess. I'm a fan of Dynasty Warriors, so that should tell you something about my tastes in games. :lol:

Seriously though, I find the compbat mechanics a lot better than GTA IV's, not that you do all that much hand-to-hand combat in GTA anyways. The fighting mechanics in Sleeping Dogs is as complex or simple as you want it to be. You can brawl your way out or turn it into a choreographed fight scene--it's all up to you.

That said, I understand that if you're not a fan of Hong Kong crime dramas and Chinese triads, Sleeping Dogs probably won't appeal to you. Besides, the game is not really in the same genre as the Arkham games. It's a sandbox game in the same vein as GTA.

I'm comparing the combat specifically to Arkham Asylum/City because that's where they lifted the idea from. The rest of the game is like GTA, and being able to maneuver your character around the world is infinitely better than GTA. My problem is they attempted to fix GTA's terrible hand-to-hand control by marrying it Arkhams combat, and I find it's still terribly boring, which brings the whole game down because most combat is based on that mechanic. That's all I'm saying. It was almost executed well, but I feel like it was a huge missed opportunity to improve on Arkhams shortcomings and I don't feel like they got it right. I don't mind the story, I find the main combat mechanic dull.

I'm comparing the combat specifically to Arkham Asylum/City because that's where they lifted the idea from. The rest of the game is like GTA, and being able to maneuver your character around the world is infinitely better than GTA. My problem is they attempted to fix GTA's terrible hand-to-hand control by marrying it Arkhams combat, and I find it's still terribly boring, which brings the whole game down because most combat is based on that mechanic. That's all I'm saying. It was almost executed well, but I feel like it was a huge missed opportunity to improve on Arkhams shortcomings and I don't feel like they got it right. I don't mind the story, I find the main combat mechanic dull.

I think I understand what you're saying here, and I do agree. While I haven't played any of the Arkham games before, I can imagine that the combat mechanics would include batarangs and grapple guns. With that taken away in Sleeping Dogs, I can see why it would seem incomplete and dull with only the hand-to-hand combat being used.

I admit it does get repetitive after a while; I probably didn't notice it much because I'm so used to playing button masher games like Dynasty Warriors.

What reviews of ZombiU have you been reading? It's the strongest title for the system IMO.

Most of the bigger third party US sites (IGN, etc). It does seem the Nintendo sites and/or owners (eShop, etc) are much more positive, almost exclusively so though it's possibly it's a bit of tribalism, there. Seems to me that most of the negative reviews are misinterpreting the intent of the game (survival, horror) instead of the FPS/shooter. This will never be better than BF3 and/or COD at that... but it's not meant to be and the more I'm looking the higher up on my list this is going. At this rate, I'll be lucky if I make it to the end of the week without buying it. :D

Most of the bigger third party US sites (IGN, etc). It does seem the Nintendo sites and/or owners (eShop, etc) are much more positive, almost exclusively so though it's possibly it's a bit of tribalism, there. Seems to me that most of the negative reviews are misinterpreting the intent of the game (survival, horror) instead of the FPS/shooter. This will never be better than BF3 and/or COD at that... but it's not meant to be and the more I'm looking the higher up on my list this is going. At this rate, I'll be lucky if I make it to the end of the week without buying it. :D

Most of those reviews are completely retarded. It's true, they aren't reviewing the game as it is. They're reviewing it like it's CoD, which it was never meant to be. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are used to FPS-type games that do all of the hand holding so they can't actually die and they don't like the fact this one is kicking their asses. This game is not friendly to you at all. It's Dark Souls levels of "figure it out stupid... well, looks like you died."

Is it me or does the ring around the home button on the Gamepad never light up? I had several notifications but nada dark. Don't see a setting for it, either...

"Sigh" My PS3 finally Yellow-lighted on me after alittle over 4 years. It's the 40GB model. Talked to Sony and it didn't seem worth the $105 to have it repaired when $95 more would get me a new 160GB slim model. Money is tighter right now and I'm saving for the holidays so I won't be looking into a new PS3 for alittle while. I'm debating on whether I should attempt to reconnect the soldering on the motherboard (I already have a heat gun) and reapply thermal paste or just put it on ebay.

Anyone else here fix their own console after RROD or YLOD?

Yeah my 60GB ate the YLOD many moons ago. I did the heat gun trick and got a couple weeks out of it. No DIY solution is going to be permanent. Reballing seems the only actual permanent "repair" and is not cheap. I still intend to send my original to Endless Electronics, who has a good rep on the reballing.

Is it me or does the ring around the home button on the Gamepad never light up? I had several notifications but nada dark. Don't see a setting for it, either...

Is the ring supposed to light up on the pad? Mine never has either, I didn't know it was supposed to. Though looking at it now it's the type of button design that would feature such things.