Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Somebody on Reddit noted that ending scene for the AC7 trailer is reminiscent of the Macross Plus Movie Edition poster. Given the ideas being explored in the new game, I have to say that it'd an apt comparison/homage.

230px-Macross_plus_movie_restored.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I'm not the only one to see the comparison. Does this mean we'll see some VFs crossing over?

Yes. The answer is yes. YES DAMN IT.

(i mean that or just more kawamori designs is cool too i guess that shinden ii was pretty slick)

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

I'm too scared to play it.

It's really not helping that the only time I can really play it is at night after my wife and daughter go to bed.

To be fair, though, I'm not sure it's as scary as I was expecting.  There's some pretty unsettling stuff that's gone on, but they're pretty scripted things.  When it comes down to actually gameplay, though, it's mostly been "Isn't this place creepy?" punctuated by "hide from that dude with the shovel."

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

Is it as difficult as people say it is? Because I've heard it pretty brutal.

I don't know, I'm still pretty early in it, and I'm posting on Easy. I was doing fine until I got to a point where I was being chased with no weapons. I got turned around and ran right into the guy chasing me. He didn't exactly kill me so much as I decided to quit for the night. I'm looking the exploring and what not, and I'm fine when I have a weapon, but I hate being chased with no way to fight back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, anime52k8 said:

Is it as difficult as people say it is? Because I've heard it pretty brutal.

I'm on my third run already going for a time completion weapon unlock. I'd personally recommend normal not easy, easy is a bit too easy, there's far less monsters and there's quite a bit more ammo and health items. The game can be challenging in the early hours, but once you've figured things out and gotten out of the purposeful no weapon intro things feel much more like a classic Resident Evil title. I personally love this game to death and feel it is the game the franchise desperately needed. I really can't recommend it enough, the story is more centralized and not as stupid and large scale like previous games, ammo and item conservation is key, puzzles are back, and the atmosphere is very creepy and intense. I wouldn't call the game difficult as I would call it classic Resident Evil. Without spoiling things, there are several Nemesis like enemies that can't be killed, they must be dropped temporarily with ammo or outrun and avoided, this is the classic flight or fight gameplay of early RE titles. I've seen many complain puzzles aren't as difficult either, and I can agree to a degree, the previous games had puzzles where you could sit and think, piece things together and really take time on more challenging brain teasers, in REVII the puzzles are a bit easier but the balance is that once again you must juggle several enemies that can appear at any time and make what would be an easy task a much more tense and frightening encounter. There are so many excellence little moments that happen, I go over encounters and areas with a friend who is also playing just to compare how their encounter differed, it's great. Saving and safe rooms are plentiful and give you plenty of breathing room, so I wouldn't be deterred by the challenge, the game is great and very intense, I'd say go for it and grab a copy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

 I'd personally recommend normal not easy, easy is a bit too easy, 

Not for me.  While I grew up on games like Mega Man, it's like the minute I turned 30 I started putting all my games on the easiest difficulty.  It's like I just wanna play and have fun during my all-too-brief free time now; I can't be bothered to replay and master games the way I used to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2017 at 9:17 PM, Tking22 said:

I'm on my third run already going for a time completion weapon unlock. I'd personally recommend normal not easy, easy is a bit too easy, there's far less monsters and there's quite a bit more ammo and health items. The game can be challenging in the early hours, but once you've figured things out and gotten out of the purposeful no weapon intro things feel much more like a classic Resident Evil title. I personally love this game to death and feel it is the game the franchise desperately needed. I really can't recommend it enough, the story is more centralized and not as stupid and large scale like previous games, ammo and item conservation is key, puzzles are back, and the atmosphere is very creepy and intense. I wouldn't call the game difficult as I would call it classic Resident Evil. Without spoiling things, there are several Nemesis like enemies that can't be killed, they must be dropped temporarily with ammo or outrun and avoided, this is the classic flight or fight gameplay of early RE titles. I've seen many complain puzzles aren't as difficult either, and I can agree to a degree, the previous games had puzzles where you could sit and think, piece things together and really take time on more challenging brain teasers, in REVII the puzzles are a bit easier but the balance is that once again you must juggle several enemies that can appear at any time and make what would be an easy task a much more tense and frightening encounter. There are so many excellence little moments that happen, I go over encounters and areas with a friend who is also playing just to compare how their encounter differed, it's great. Saving and safe rooms are plentiful and give you plenty of breathing room, so I wouldn't be deterred by the challenge, the game is great and very intense, I'd say go for it and grab a copy.

So RE7 is like DeadSpace then?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

ugh, I wanna play dead space again. EA sucks for not remastering that series.

It was one generation ago and already HD.  What does it need remastered for?  Did your 360 RRoD?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

It was one generation ago and already HD.  What does it need remastered for?  Did your 360 RRoD?

My 360 still works but I've got it packed up in a closet. Mainly I want to be able to have all 3 Digitally on My XB1 the way bioshock collection was done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

My 360 still works but I've got it packed up in a closet. Mainly I want to be able to have all 3 Digitally on My XB1 the way bioshock collection was done.

Gotcha.  Not backwards compatible, either?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aw, what a shame. If only you had something that could play all three games AND modern games AND older games--

Oh wait. That would mean having to install Origin. Screw that. Never mind, you keep doing you.

EDIT:

Actually, apparently only the third game (aka The Worst) requires Origin. The second, if bought through Steam, will prompt for an Origin login to access its online features, but if you're just playing the single player, you can safely ignore it.

Edited by kajnrig
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Aw, what a shame. If only you had something that could play all three games AND modern games AND older games--

Oh wait. That would mean having to install Origin. Screw that. Never mind, you keep doing you.

EDIT:

Actually, apparently only the third game (aka The Worst) requires Origin. The second, if bought through Steam, will prompt for an Origin login to access its online features, but if you're just playing the single player, you can safely ignore it.

I don't really care for the precedent it sets, because a future where every big publisher requiring its own client would probably be a big enough hassle that is quit PC gaming, but if I'm being totally objective Origin really isn't that bad.

UPlay, on the other hand, is a buggy mess that is never have installed if Far Cry 3 hadn't been so good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh. Uplay is the absolute WORST. So much so that I actually went to the trouble of getting cracked versions of the Ubisoft games I already bought just so I wouldn't have to deal with it. What's worse is that Ubi still sells its games on Steam, too. EA at least has the decency to not crosslist its games so you don't have to deal with two DRM programs running at the same time.

That being said, I don't have much interest in The Ubisoft Game anyhow, so it's not much of a loss. The games I've bought from them recently(ish) have all been UbiArt games. Rayman, Child of Light, etc. And those couldn't be farther removed from The Ubisoft Game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing through Dark Souls right now on Steam, and I'm not liking it as much as DeS. I think I need more of the structured level design of DeS. I've never been very good with open world games, and Dark Souls is right up there in that regard.

Then again, it could also be that I'm not going into it blind like I did DeS. Maybe DS2 and 3 will whet my appetite better. Or maybe I should finally get myself a PS4 and Bloodbourne.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Playing through Dark Souls right now on Steam, and I'm not liking it as much as DeS. I think I need more of the structured level design of DeS. I've never been very good with open world games, and Dark Souls is right up there in that regard.

Then again, it could also be that I'm not going into it blind like I did DeS. Maybe DS2 and 3 will whet my appetite better. Or maybe I should finally get myself a PS4 and Bloodbourne.

Get Bloodborne. Just get it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Get Bloodborne. Just get it.

This x2, it's easily my favorite of all the souls games. The levels are a bit more linear than DS1 so no worries there, the only thing that might mess you up at the start is that the combat is way more fast paced than the previous games (they also made the combat faster in DS3). Buy a psn card and get the dlc while you are at it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do plan on getting Bloodborne and the Old Hunters DLC, don't wait to beat the main game to play the DLC.  It's kind of a pain to start Old Hunters.  Play it in tandem with the main game, otherwise you'll enter the DLC with a New Game + file, which may bump up the difficulty on an already tough outing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

After playing the Ghost Recon Wildlands Beta, I'm actually surprised.  It's not bad at all.  

Nier: Automata and Horizon Zero Dawn will be enough for me the next month or so though.  Then Persona 5.  Too many good things coming out . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So... Super Robot Wars V got an english release, albeit published in Asia instead of North America.  Real anime crossover SRW, none of that OG stuff.  No Macross this time, to our eternal disappointment.

 

I am less excited about this than I would've been a decade ago, but it is still pretty awesome news. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ace Combat esque Sky Rogue just entered into its beta phase (was in alpha for maybe 2 years). It's a fun pick up and play for 10 minutes at a time kinda game, even has mod support with a few Macross VFs on steam. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Blaster Master Zero is out. It is awesome, you should be playing it.
And I continue to be amused that Eve is a recurring character in Blaster Master games, given she came from a forgotten book adaptation that is apparently now foundational to the franchise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...